NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

For Extreme Rules and GoT tonight:

Two Roads is out of Stratford, CT. First time trying their Double IPA, their White IPA is :pimp: though.

PtE was definitely smooth and crisp but that bite was a surprise.

I had some Marble IPA last night. Definitely tasting just right for its style. Let me know if anything else tastes off or weird.

RE: elevated
Yes I've occasionally found a straggler in the bunch. Sometimes too malt forward. Sometimes cloudy. Sometimes undercarbonated. Sometimes a lack of hop aroma, and even too much "onion". Onion is a trait of the Nelson Sauvin hops. If and once you try Father Nelson, and elevateds odd flavors are above even that, I think sometimes really wrong. It should have some bite but not too oniony. WIth what you're used to out of elevated from the last time, father nelson should have a bigger "onion" like bite. But it should'nt be overpowering. I would be tempted to try another elevated ASAP. I sent two diff. canning dates for instances like this.

I would say out of maybe 300 cans that I've probably had a dozen or so that have tasted 'off' in some way.. Was it completely undrinkable? Please get to trying the other three and get back to me.

I tend to follow BA and untappd for review scores. It tends to give me a decent idea of what out of towners think of 2-3 week old cans. It's a delayed response which is great because its exactly what we have here. I feel the latest elevated all through April was tasting superb. Review scores were up a notch with a few lows.

Hype is a funny thing with beer. Father Nelson is sold out everywhere. No real info on a re release. But it seems like people now don't want Project Dank. My side by side blind tasting proved both to be very very close. People would rather have a father nelson or NOTHING at all it seems like. Hype was all over Project Dank for awhile as it sold out. People do tend to move on to the next biggest and baddest thing, with no company affiliation tied into it at all. That's a scary thought for a company looking to grow.

For the weekend, i got more project dank, and 4/21 elevated. In the name of science once again, I will crack some open and pay attention to any onion like qualities.

It wasn't undrinkable at all. Just weird. I've been busy all weekend so I didn't get a chance to drink any beers. I'll crack open another Elevated tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes. I know I should be drinking that Father Nelson soon as well with the bottled date being 4/17.

Last edited:
Any beers out here that taste like this? Tried it for the first time yesterday, very refreshing. 

Just a preview of what is going down tonight for the Money May / Maidana fight. My boy showed up with presents... Lets just say my body was DEFINITELY not ready...

This was the rest of my weekend:

Bretticent was delicious. Extremely floral but in a good way. I dug this brew a lot.

Black Angel is one of the best sours I have ever had. I cherry flavors were abundant. I wish I was drinking one right now.

The Genesis Blonde Sour... Wow, this is aged with papaya, guava, and mango. It shines through in the best of ways. My wife, (who usually takes one sip and gives the rest to me) really loved this one. Genesis was released Saturday with a 12 bottle limit at 14.99. My buddy told me they sold out in 3 hours.

Amorous is a sour blonde dry hopped IPA. It was great but not a stand out as far as the day was concerned. Still glad I was able to try this and I will revisit later this week when I head to the brewery.

Overall I had a great day of drinking. Dirtwolf, Gubna, Yeungling, and many Millers were consumed as well.

I went to Wicked Weed when they first opened and was very surprised. Being away from home for work has left me with little time to visit the brewery in the past 18 or so months. But I was surprised to see how well they are received on BA and RateBeer. If anyone at all is interested in their offerings let me know in a PM. That I can remember I only have traded out Wicked Weed to one NTer.

Here is their site:

http://www.wickedweedbrewing.com/

PtE was definitely smooth and crisp but that bite was a surprise.

I had some Marble IPA last night. Definitely tasting just right for its style. Let me know if anything else tastes off or weird.

RE: elevated
Yes I've occasionally found a straggler in the bunch. Sometimes too malt forward. Sometimes cloudy. Sometimes undercarbonated. Sometimes a lack of hop aroma, and even too much "onion". Onion is a trait of the Nelson Sauvin hops. If and once you try Father Nelson, and elevateds odd flavors are above even that, I think sometimes really wrong. It should have some bite but not too oniony. WIth what you're used to out of elevated from the last time, father nelson should have a bigger "onion" like bite. But it should'nt be overpowering. I would be tempted to try another elevated ASAP. I sent two diff. canning dates for instances like this.

I would say out of maybe 300 cans that I've probably had a dozen or so that have tasted 'off' in some way.. Was it completely undrinkable? Please get to trying the other three and get back to me.

I tend to follow BA and untappd for review scores. It tends to give me a decent idea of what out of towners think of 2-3 week old cans. It's a delayed response which is great because its exactly what we have here. I feel the latest elevated all through April was tasting superb. Review scores were up a notch with a few lows.

Hype is a funny thing with beer. Father Nelson is sold out everywhere. No real info on a re release. But it seems like people now don't want Project Dank. My side by side blind tasting proved both to be very very close. People would rather have a father nelson or NOTHING at all it seems like. Hype was all over Project Dank for awhile as it sold out. People do tend to move on to the next biggest and baddest thing, with no company affiliation tied into it at all. That's a scary thought for a company looking to grow.

For the weekend, i got more project dank, and 4/21 elevated. In the name of science once again, I will crack some open and pay attention to any onion like qualities.

It wasn't undrinkable at all. Just weird. I've been busy all weekend so I didn't get a chance to drink any beers. I'll crack open another Elevated tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes. I know I should be drinking that Father Nelson soon as well with the bottled date being 4/17.

Yesterday I did a three Ipa lineage tasting with la cumbre. All seemed par for the course. I scrounged up two bottles of father nelson. Damn that's tasty. I did the biggest first and finished with elevated.

Father nelson had somewhat of the biggest onion like taste. But never weird or overpowering.

Today on my day off, I'm solely drinking elevated. First can seemed a touch off. But the subsequent few seem more than normal. Maybe it's in my head? I definitely believe you. Don't get me wrong. I will say if you drink another and another and they are all off, get back to me

Btw. Check your email Florida and Cali residents, big deal in store for 4 or six packs at Total Wine. 2 dollars off each pack when you buy 5. Just when I was there for the past couple of weeks and no deals and when I finally want to slow down, they know. They know.

yeahitsRUST, nice to see a familiar sight in that nonic pint glass.. A sour in a Marble glass? NICE! A rare sighting for sure. I think Marble has done a handful of sours they usually serve in a goblet. But it's never been a mainstay beer/product. Times are a changing.. This year they were giving out Marble Goblets for their 6th year anniversary. I overspent and over consumed the day prior with La Cumbre's DIPA release, so I told myself I would sit it out.

It's the higher stem-less filling goblet style that they chose to use
Marble.jpg

I do love the larger goblets I have. A 13 oz. goblet barely fits a full 12 oz. bottle pour. It would've been a nice addition for sure. Maybe next time.

Last edited:
I've been drinking Sierra Nevada's summer fest and firestone walkers 805 blonde these past few days. It's perfect for these hot California days and clippers, kings and ducks playoff games.

805 is really good. A perfect summer beer. It will be a staple at summer BBQ's.

-J-

Bell's is heading to southern California in May

Josh Smith | Bell's Brewery
COMSTOCK, MI –Bell’s Brewery, Inc. will begin distributing to southern California in early May, making it our 20th state we distribute to and our first western state since Arizona.

Craft Beer Guild Distributing of California will distribute Bell’s full portfolio to San Diego and Imperial counties.

“These two counties will help us establish ourselves while making sure the needs of our existing customers are met,” said Laura Bell, Bell’s Vice President.

“We’re really excited to join an already outstanding craft beer community,” she said.

Bell’s began distributing to New York City in February after expanding to western and upstate New York last fall. New York was Bell’s first new territory in almost five years.

For help locating our beer, our fans will be able to use our Beer Finder feature in May to see which nearby bars, restaurants and retailers serve and sell Bell’s beer.

Release party information will also be available as that information becomes available.

For the folks in SD, Hamilton's is having a release party for Bell's today :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

Drinking one of my faves... IMO best bang for your buck.

QFT.

In other good news: Bell's has started shipping 4 packs of Oberon and Two Hearted in 16 ounce cans.  

Looks like I found my fishing beer for the summer. 

Yesterday I did a three Ipa lineage tasting with la cumbre. All seemed par for the course. I scrounged up two bottles of father nelson. Damn that's tasty. I did the biggest first and finished with elevated.

Father nelson had somewhat of the biggest onion like taste. But never weird or overpowering.

Today on my day off, I'm solely drinking elevated. First can seemed a touch off. But the subsequent few seem more than normal. Maybe it's in my head? I definitely believe you. Don't get me wrong. I will say if you drink another and another and they are all off, get back to me

I cracked open another Elevated tonight and no onion like taste at all. Just what I remembered Elevated to be. Really nice tropical fruit notes with a nice kick from the hops at the end. Awesome stuff! I'm hoping the rest of the cans are like this. I might try and tackle the Father Nelson tonight but that might be a tall order considering its a weeknight :lol:.

Got a nice haul in today from a trade with scrub0bk scrub0bk . Thanks man! I had some Jai Alai for the first time about a month ago through a trade with Comparison Ford Comparison Ford and really liked it. Had to seek out some more lol. Looking forward to trying the rest as well.

Speaking of Bell's, got some Black Note coming in tomorrow. Can't wait for that!

So this past weekend, the lady and I made a trek to Austin for the weekend to try some different breweries/tours.

First stop was the Spoetzel Brewery in Shiner TX. The place was going through a major expansion so no being able to see the bottling or canning unfortunately. Definitely worth the drive whenever the facility will be finished, probably around next year or so.

Next up was Austin Beerworks. Wasn't a tour, more of a weekend tasting event. Great beers here, probably one of my favorites of the entire weekend. Top picks were Pearl Snap, Black Thunder, Gold Fist and the Heisenburg.

Next up was Hops and Grain Brewing, second favorite of the trip. The brewer for this place was only 26 years old which was crazy considering the major brewmasters are in their 30s and 40s. Favorites here were The One They Called Zoe, Do Not Touch Willie and Bill Rye The Barrel Guy.

Next up was (512) Brewing. The head brewmaster here was outstanding. Went through a looong in depth process on the what every piece of equipment in the brewery was for. Most tours were around 10 or 15 minutes but his was a solid 30 or 45. Didn't take a picture of the tap wall but favorites are the Pecan Porter, Bruin and the Trippel. Also, funny side note; all of the tanks and such were named after Futurama ships or robots. :lol:

Last up was Independence Brewing Co. It was their first Saturday of the month event so got super packed. I really didn't get a good sampling of anything here since the line was sooo long and it was starting to get hot so we called this one early. The White Rabbit Belgian White was the clear winner here though. Ended up picking up a six pack before I left.

Some of the swag I ended up with over the weekend. There were lots of other places we didn't get a chance to go to due to either time or distance, specifically Live Oak and Jester King. There are also Brewpubs that brew in house stuff like the Austin Beer Garden Brewing Co. and Uncle Billy's that we didn't get a chance to sample and some great bars like Craft Pride that only serves Texas Craft Stuff. Austin, for sure, is a different beast in the craft beer scene than Houston. Not to say that I don't enjoy me a Saint Arnolds or Karbach when I get the chance but if you're a beer lover in Texas, Austin is where it's at.

Can any of you guys recommend a nice beer for me. 

-Don't like IPA's

-Like something light in taste, or not so flavorful

-Still want it to back a punch.

-Something I can drink 2-4 and feel good.

-I'm a light weight to the max

-Don't like IPA's

-Don't like IPA's
Try Belgian triples. May be a fin du monde, delerium tremens or something similar

-Don't like IPA's

Spike your Bud Lights with vodka?

I cracked open another Elevated tonight and no onion like taste at all. Just what I remembered Elevated to be. Really nice tropical fruit notes with a nice kick from the hops at the end. Awesome stuff! I'm hoping the rest of the cans are like this. I might try and tackle the Father Nelson tonight but that might be a tall order considering its a weeknight :lol:.

Got a nice haul in today from a trade with scrub0bk scrub0bk . Thanks man! I had some Jai Alai for the first time about a month ago through a trade with Comparison Ford Comparison Ford and really liked it. Had to seek out some more lol. Looking forward to trying the rest as well.

Speaking of Bell's, got some Black Note coming in tomorrow. Can't wait for that!

Can't wait to get my box in today, thank you again!

I have a black note in my fridge - holding on to that for a stout tasting with my boy, should be a nice lineup:
2014 black note
2014 parobola
Prarie Bible Belt
Breuery Chocolate Rain
BCBS
Possibly some KBS as well.

Also have a can each of Focal Banger and Holy Cow by The Alchemist, excited to see how those taste.

Anyone around the Chicago Area looking for some PA stuff? I'm looking to get some FFF and Pipeworks - nothing crazy but stuff i can't get here and would love to make a deal. PM me if interested.

I have a black note in my fridge - holding on to that for a stout tasting with my boy, should be a nice lineup:
2014 black note
2014 parobola
Prarie Bible Belt
Breuery Chocolate Rain
BCBS

Also have a can each of Focal Banger and Holy Cow by The Alchemist, excited to see how those taste.

Anyone around the Chicago Area looking for some PA stuff? I'm looking to get some FFF and Pipeworks - nothing crazy but stuff i can't get here and would love to make a deal. PM me if interested.

With that lineup, you're gonna be lucky to be able to walk.
That's rough. It's like an average ABV of almost 14%.
I had some Chocolate Rain about 2 months ago. It was super HOT. Good but needed more time to age.
And honestly, you should age every single one of those beers.
Just my opinion.
Happy tasting.

-J-

With that lineup, you're gonna be lucky to be able to walk.
That's rough. It's like an average ABV of almost 14%.
I had some Chocolate Rain about 2 months ago. It was super HOT. Good but needed more time to age.
And honestly, you should age every single one of those beers.
Just my opinion.
Happy tasting.

-J-

Yeah its gonna be a knockout. We might skip the BCBS and KBS though cause we've both had them but the other 4 are new to us.

I'd like to age them and try them in 6mos to a year from now if i had a 2nd bottle of each to do so, but i'm inpatient. That was the main reason i always try and grab multiples of stouts so that i can let one sit for a bit and see how they change.

2014 black note
2014 parobola
Prarie Bible Belt
Breuery Chocolate Rain
BCBS

No problem man. That's one hell of a tasting. Let us know the results!

2014 black note
2014 parobola
Prarie Bible Belt
Breuery Chocolate Rain
BCBS

With your boy as in singular? RIP to your liver.

Finally cracked open the Father Nelson tonight. Bottled date was 4/17 so a few weeks old. Aroma had a faint onion like smell but not overbearing. I also got some hints of citrus as well. Taste was similar to Project Dank although I'd say PD had more of the dank flavor (hence the name lol). You don't get much of the tropical fruit notes like Elevated but I did get some grapefruit and maybe cannabis? The hops definitely hits you with this one though. It lingers for a while lol. With the ABV at 10.6%, it's pretty damn smooth. Having had all three, my favorite is Elevated with Father Nelson coming in 2nd and PD a close 3rd. All are great beers though. Thanks again Wally for hooking me up with these!

I highly advise against a stout or imperial stout tasting. You'll be passed out within 2 hours and wake up forgetting how you got home.
----------------

neosole89, so glad to see the other elevated tasted "normal". I agree with your assessment about all three. Elevated wins out every time. Yet here I am spending big bucks on bombers.. That experimental aspect of dank has me by the balls. The price aspect for elevated should make it a no brainer, along with accessibility of elevated (at least in NM cities)

The 4/19 dank seemed to be the less dank version of them all, giving flavors that seemed to mirror Father Nelson. The masking of alcohol between dank and nelson raised the nelson score way up.. 7.5% vs. 10.6%. Yet they were nearly identical..

Apparently there is a 5/3 dank that just came out... Seeing as how they use hops differently each time, its one project I'm on board for to try.. I think they've done 7 now.. I cant really pick a favorite among them. I do enjoy the experience though.

For me, Elevated has that caramel malt aspect that you can pick up in the flavor, along with a pronounced tropical fruit flavor.. It's just a killer combo that is usually neither too dank or too oniony. It can be a bitter bomb once in awhile, while dank and nelson tend to be less of that sharp bitterness.

Ratings wise, it seems like Elevated is on its way down.. 15th among top IPAs... It was 10th about a month back.. Project Dank is standing strong at #2 for IPAs... Father Nelson is climbing the charts of DIPAs, sitting at 34th.. It seems like some beers with great distribution fair well with review scores over time (sculpins numbers are impressive). Meanwhile here, the rare factor of dank and nelson drive those numbers up (maybe artificially)
----------

Here's that TW coupon for FL, NM, and CA residents:
Cpn-1_05072014-D-FL-CA-NM.jpg

"OPERATION spend money" has begun.

Singles are also 15% off, including bombers, and the typical 12 oz. variety.

Guess what I picked up lol I'll give you hint. 5 4 packs, and a bomber of something.

Back
Top Bottom