NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

^^
I went two nights ago and bought a 6 pack of FW 805, a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss, a 4 pack each of Modern Times Lomaland, Blazing World and Black House. $41 after coupon.
Had a Lomaland and a Black House last night. Both were delicious but that Black House was awesome. My wife was trying to drink it all. :lol:

-J-

Nice variety. I wanted to do that but... I saw some 10 day old elevated and as cheap as it was, I went with zero variety.. I'm a screwball that way. This was my chance to explore.... 4 four packs of elevated, one 4 pack malpais, and a project dank 5/3, $43.. I felt like I robbed the joint.. Saved like $17 bucks vs. other places.. I got home and saw my malpais was dated back to 3/3/14. I'll see how it held up. Black House reminds me of malpais. Nice burnt roasted malt taste.. I wouldnt call it smokey, just kind of burnt.

Tonight is my "weekend" so I decided to go a little overboard.  Drank a Mo from Maine Brewing Co., a West Coast IPA from Green Flash, a Hopped on the High Seas (Dry-Hopped with Calypso) from Cigar City, a Captain's Reserve Imperial IPA from Captain Lawrence, and a Vitus from Weihenstephaner.  The verdict is in: Vitus was the clear-cut winner for the evening.  Loving it right now.  

Expect reviews for the West Coast IPA and Hopped on the HIgh Seas tomorrow.  Also expect these to be reviewed:

Kuhnehenn Double Rice IPA

2013 Sucaba

2014 Parabola

Alesmith Speedway Stout

Happy Wednesday, NT.

Last edited:
In other news: Founder is doing something pretty cool for their summer Backstage Series release.  Dissenter is an imperial IPL, and also the first lager Founders has made in over 12 years.  Expect to see bottles sometime around mid/late August.  Having never had and IPL, I, for one, am excited to buy at least one bottle.  Not going into it with any expectations for greatness, just curious to see what they'll do with it. 

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no TW here in the Bay Area as well. I think the closest one is in Sacramento.

Tonight is my "weekend" so I decided to go a little overboard.  Drank a Mo from Maine Brewing Co., a West Coast IPA from Green Flash, a Hopped on the High Seas (Dry-Hopped with Calypso) from Cigar City, a Captain's Reserve Imperial IPA from Captain Lawrence, and a Vitus from Weihenstephaner.  The verdict is in: Vitus was the clear-cut winner for the evening.  Loving it right now.  

Expect reviews for the West Coast IPA and Hopped on the HIgh Seas tomorrow.  Also expect these to be reviewed:

Kuhnehenn Double Rice IPA
2013 Sucaba
2014 Parabola
Alesmith Speedway Stout

Happy Wednesday, NT.

Looks like you're enjoying yourself tonight :lol:. Looking forward to the reviews!

Got this from a fellow NT'er today and had to crack it open asap. Thank you kind sir! Drank it directly from the can as instructed. Aroma hits you right away! Got lots of tropical fruits and citrus, reminded me of Apex in a way. Taste was fantastic. Got some pineapples, grapefruits and oranges. Also, had this creaminess that I really liked. Hops were present but very well balanced. Similar to Pliny. After trying both HT and Pliny, I'd have to give a slight nod to HT. Lived up to the hype for sure. Hopefully, I can score some more in the future.

In other news: Founder is doing something pretty cool for their summer Backstage Series release.  Dissenter is an imperial IPL, and also the first lager Founders has made in over 12 years.  Expect to see bottles sometime around mid/late August.  Having never had and IPL, I, for one, am excited to buy at least one bottle.  Not going into it with any expectations for greatness, just curious to see what they'll do with it. 

I know a lot of people are bashing this for some reason - but i'm excited to try this. The only IPL's ive had have been in the sam adams packs and they were pretty good. I'm looking forward to this as a founders fan.

neosole89 neosole89 - heady is WAY better from the can for some reason. I've had 2 cans, first one i poured and i didn't think it lived up to the hype, but 2nd one i had straight from the can nice and cold and it was glorious. I'm hoping their other canned beers are the same. I still think i like pliny better though as of now.

Last edited:

I know a lot of people are bashing this for some reason - but i'm excited to try this. The only IPL's ive had have been in the sam adams packs and they were pretty good. I'm looking forward to this as a founders fan.

@NeoSole89 - heady is WAY better from the can for some reason. I've had 2 cans, first one i poured and i didn't think it lived up to the hype, but 2nd one i had straight from the can nice and cold and it was glorious. I'm hoping their other canned beers are the same. I still think i like pliny better though as of now.
I think people have unrealistic expectations for Founders beers, particularly their Backstage Series.  If it's not an imperial stout or an English barleywine aged in maple bourbon barrels, expect people to be disappointed
laugh.gif

For those of you who have access, Ballast Point makes a very well received IPL - Fathom.

-J-

Can't say I've ever had a lager that I actually liked. Had the sam Adams IPL and thought that was just ok.

Why does HT get a pass on the "appearance" or clarity portion of the judging scale for so many people? I've seen some local brews get judged on an entirely different scale. I guess we shouldn't take reviews of strangers to heart.

Comparison Ford, I've been on Vitus for only a year now. I really don't drink it enough though. Weizenbocks are so underrated as a genre. A boozier hefeweizen? Heck yeah. Have you tried their other beers? My dads favorite is the Original. It's a Munich Helles Lager. Think a classier more flavored, better and boozier type of American Adjunct Lager. If the Germans can do it, why can't the Americans? It's my absolute go to beer for others to try when they are getting into craft.. There's one lager I do enjoy a lot of, and it's that one.

Corcio713, Nice pictures of all those tours..My state used to do that. Back in 2008-2009 it was crazy how open many breweries were to tours and what not. Now some may do it once a week, or once a month, or just special dates. Around my area, I miss that aspect the most.. I know how beer is made. But seeing how technology has advanced would be cool to see. Or even how my local stuff gets made, or how it varies between different places. I guess I don't have the 'in' like the friends & families do at some breweries where I see them wandering around.
--------
Today I'm going with a FW Velvet Merlin, and possibly a cache of IPAs.

Why does HT get a pass on the "appearance" or clarity portion of the judging scale for so many people? I've seen some local brews get judged on an entirely different scale. I guess we shouldn't take reviews of strangers to heart.

Is the appearance bad? For those that have had HT multiple times, is there a significant difference in taste when having it in a glass vs can? This was my first time having HT so I figured what the heck, might as well drink it as instructed. When and if I get some more, i'll definitely pour it into a glass.

Is the appearance bad? For those that have had HT multiple times, is there a significant difference in taste when having it in a glass vs can? This was my first time having HT so I figured what the heck, might as well drink it as instructed. When and if I get some more, i'll definitely pour it into a glass.

Ive had it once. Tasted a couple sips out of the can, then I poured it. No true difference taste wise, maybe a slight uptick on the smell. It's a murky "mess", more in lines with a hefeweizen when poured. The creaminess that comes with the IPA flavors makes the beer.

Google image search heady topper. It's some "ugly" homebrew like stuff looks wise. If looks or appearance is 1/4th or 1/5th of a review score, how is this tops??
some examples
http://thatbrewdude.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/007.jpg

Speaking of Hefeweizens, I'm sad to see a local favorite using oranges in their hefeweizen seasonal. I won't name names. it seems to be selling like crazy. So many new people into craft beer who order up a pilsner, wheat, or hefe to play it safe. Even the bartenders tend to stay "its sorta like a blue moon". I won't attempt to try it just yet. What is everyones thoughts on oranges in beer?

Ive had it once. Tasted a couple sips out of the can, then I poured it. No true difference taste wise, maybe a slight uptick on the smell. It's a murky "mess", more in lines with a hefeweizen when poured. The creaminess that comes with the IPA flavors makes the beer.

Google image search heady topper. It's some "ugly" homebrew like stuff looks wise. If looks or appearance is 1/4th or 1/5th of a review score, how is this tops??
some examples

Speaking of Hefeweizens, I'm sad to see a local favorite using oranges in their hefeweizen seasonal. I won't name names. it seems to be selling like crazy. So many new people into craft beer who order up a pilsner, wheat, or hefe to play it safe. Even the bartenders tend to stay "its sorta like a blue moon". I won't attempt to try it just yet. What is everyones thoughts on oranges in beer?

Blue moon only.

I was at happy hour and got a shock top on special. They put an orange in it. Looked at my girl with a confused look. She shrugged and said "I guess it's like blue moon?"

Is heady topper hard to find? I see it mentioned at least once a page here. Should I believe the hype?

some examples

Blue moon only.

I was at happy hour and got a shock top on special. They put an orange in it. Looked at my girl with a confused look. She shrugged and said "I guess it's like blue moon?"

Is heady topper hard to find? I see it mentioned at least once a page here. Should I believe the hype?
Relatively easy to find if you live in the area.. It's only available in VT distribution wise. Check out their webpage. Stores in the state have specific delivery days of the week, which then becomes a show with tourist "truck chasers" following the delivery truck around. A fellow NTer had some family in the that area and was able to get some a month or two back.. The hype is real.. I'd say if you're east coast, do like most of them do, and go there for a day, and haul back 2-10 cases, and go up to the other VT breweries who are benefiting big time from that extra traffic (lawson and hill farmstead).

Last edited:

some examples

Yea Blue Moon with an orange is good, Blue Moon with a shot of mandarin vodka is better!

You doing too much being "sad" by someone adding an orange to citrus flavor beer. Tone down the snob a bit.

You doing too much being "sad" by someone adding an orange to citrus flavor beer. Tone down the snob a bit.
It's not being a snob. If something is perfectly crafted, their is no need to add anything to it. Doing so is disrespect to the brewers hard work. If a beer isn't palatable to you stick to something else

It's not being a snob. If something is perfectly crafted, their is no need to add anything to it. Doing so is disrespect to the brewers hard work. If a beer isn't palatable to you stick to something else

This is the most snobbish thing I've ever read.

Back
Top Bottom