NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

What do y'all think the worst brewery is?

Magic Hat has been putting out lackluster beers for years now
Magic hat is the worst. Other than a couple of Cigar City beers, I'm not a very big fan. Jai Alai White Oak and Hunahpah are straight chronic though.

Magic Hat is straight buns. DFH is king to me. My personal favorites are 21st amendment. As well as victory and troegs because they're local

I'm not crazy about Flying Dog but I enjoy one of these

Last edited:
Magic hat is the worst. Other than a couple of Cigar City beers, I'm not a very big fan. Jai Alai White Oak and Hunahpah are straight chronic though.
Wait.. Are you trying to say Cigar City deserves to be in contention with Magic Hat for worst brewery?

Wait.. Are you trying to say Cigar City deserves to be in contention with Magic Hat for worst brewery?
Lol. I'm not saying it's as bad, but I'm not a fan of most of their beers. I'd consider them a "Tier 3" brewer, but they do have some absolute gems. 

Last edited:
Maybe it's a sign my palette is ready for a break but I go through some crazy transitions with beer. I had a case of Marble IPA that I drank at my leisure over the last 3 weeks. Some days none, some days 3, some days 5 bottles. lol.. Anyways, I noticed on one of my last sessions that bottles 1-2-3 were absolutely PERFECTION. Then things shifted. Maybe my tongue was coated with crap by then? But by the 4th IPA, it tasted medicinal, the hops were less pronounced, and it just seemed very dull. Maybe its only me, but a lot of these review scores I give to beers may be a product of how my body feels that day in either what I drank, ate, or my health level. It makes for me to wonder how many great beers I tried and hated because my darn tongue/palette was messed up. I can't trust myself any more on what I deem "bad". I know when something is good. But when a good turns bad, its really bad.. Odd stuff.....

Comparison Ford, so far I have had a Founders IS, and a breakfast stout.. Both are as I remembered them. Founders has to be a top 5 brewery for all of their great, seemingly above availability beers they have out there. Backwoods is happening tonight... Thanks again!

As far as worst brewery goes, Magic Hat is certainly up there.

Shipyard is also garbage.

Saranac is a contender.

Long Trail blows for the most part, but Limbo is a pretty great IPA.

I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting because I've effectively erased them from my memory bank.  
laugh.gif

P.S.: Any time, @WallyHopp! Always happy to deliver the goods.

Not sure if you're interested, but I'll hit you up next time I get some Another One from Maine Beer Company.  It's something I think you'd really like.

Also, I have a confession: I gave away two Elevateds and a Project Dank to da god at the beer distributor by me.  He's supposed to be getting me some Gandhi Bot soon. If I get a decent amount best believe some is headed your way.

Last edited:
Founders has to be a top 5 brewery for all of their great, seemingly above availability beers they have out there. Backwoods is happening tonight... Thanks again!
Totally agree with this. Personally, I base the quality of a brewery on how much I like their most readily available beers. Founders has the game in a smash.

Having a Ballast Point Sculpin right now. Like this stuff a lot. 

Last edited:
Founders Breakfast Stout is top 5 favorite beers for me

I loved the Terrapin White Chocolate Moo Hoo though which surpasses it IMO

Maredsous 10 Tripel. It was sweet like caramel, and tasted some banana in it. You can taste the alcohol a bit, it's a sipper but delicious.

Shipyard is definitely up there as one of the worst breweries. Haven't had anything from Magic Hat yet so I can't speak on them.

Founders Breakfast Stout is top 5 favorite beers for me

FBS is def appreciated :smokin. Gotta get me some more soon.

Sipping on these the past few days. First was Bomb! from Prairie. Got some coffee, little bit of chocolate and roasted notes. Didn't get much heat from the chilies though. Very creamy and well balanced stout. Highly drinkable at 13% ABV. Glad I have a few more bottles.

Next was Bible Belt. Tons of chocolate in the aroma with some hints of coffee and vanilla. Taste followed the aroma with dark chocolate, vanilla and roasted notes. You also get some heat from the chilies in the aftertaste. Very nice! I think I enjoyed this more than Bomb.

Lastly, Apocalypse Cow from 3Floyds. Nice citrus notes and floral hops in the aroma. Taste was creamy and smooth. Probably due to the lactose milk sugar used. Couldn't believe this was 11% ABV! Another winner from 3Floyds. Definitely seeking this out again.

Also, I have a confession: I gave away two Elevateds and a Project Dank to da god at the beer distributor by me.  He's supposed to be getting me some Gandhi Bot soon. If I get a decent amount best believe some is headed your way.

No prob man. I gave away a FBS to a fellow NTer in a trade awhile back.. I have some other stouts on hold for the time being from 3-4 NT members.. It should make for an epic local tasting lol.

As long as the group you traded to knows what they are getting and the bottled/canned date, who ever ends up with it, should have some great joy out of it.. I had some 7/6 elevated tonight and felt it was as good as ever, so the time frame on freshness for me is right around 4-6 weeks...... For me , its all about spreading that joy of new beer to the next person... As long as they know the bottled/canned date and get someone who can appreciate what they are getting (is it for the runners of the shop, or for bait for someone else to buy or trade for?), I think they will be rather happy to have it in stock, and for someone to try it. I'll be waiting for a random BA member from the tri state area to review it as a random review within the next week or so lol.

Just as I talk about my taste buds being all wacky, I finished off a four pack of elevated tonight with two remaining cans. I had some other random beers before hand, leaving a seemingly sweet layer on my tongue. So the elevateds ending up being WORLD CLASS, and less hoppy and abraisve than what I just had two days prior. IPAs in general just seem to wreck my taste buds. I can't get past the GOOD, the bad, and the AMAZING qualities of these IPAs after numerous offerings.

Last edited:
I've been trying to get my hands on a Proprietor's for so long now...anyone in this thread from the Chi?

Haven't been in here in a while, went on an impromptu weight cut and have been staying away from the heavy stuff. :lol:

Back on the horse tonight for the Yanks game and RAW...

^ I feel you man. Training for a half marathon in Oct. Really reducing my beer consumption to only weekends. We'll see how that goes :lol:.

Just like this thread I stumbled upon this Cigar City Cubano Espresso Brown Ale one day at my local liquor store. Bought a 4 pack because it was limit one 4 pack per person. Ended up with a case of it after bringing some other friends and taking a couple trips. Cigar City Maduro and Helles Lager aren't that bad, but this stuff is on a different level. I'm a fan of Stouts and Porters and this Ale is my new favorite thing. Paired perfectly with the Partagas Serie D I had on top.

If you get a chance to try, don't hesitate. Great after dinner beer. My new favorite.

I too struggle with my desire to stay in shape and my love for beer.  I drink every day (whether it be one beer or seven
laugh.gif
), but I try to ride about 150+ miles every week on my bike and I've been incorporating more free weights, pull-ups, and ab exercises in my daily routine.  The only problem is that I can only do this four days out of the week.  I work 13 hour shifts at my job, which means my leisure time is out of commission for the days I'm there.  Luckily I'm on my feet all day and do a moderate amount of heavy lifting.  

Last edited:
^ I feel you man. Training for a half marathon in Oct. Really reducing my beer consumption to only weekends. We'll see how that goes :lol:.

I''ll cut you off, if you cut me off lol. LC does have a new DIPA coming out if anyone is interested. I just need to get off the internet entirely as these releases just never end, especially the Oktoberfests coming so early.

I will say having a beer fridge is a bit of a curse. I have cleaned mine out of any IPAs that can't age. At one point, I had 5-6 to finish, which I did, in order to have a "clean slate" with just oktoberfests, some founders from a trade, and a bunch of RISs for the winter. I definitely sense a downward trend for me.. Luckily pumpkin beers dont do it for me, nor the autumn type beers that try to have apple spices and crap like that.. Winter beers are just as bad. I guess its all talk until I actually slow down

Last edited:
zero23 zero23 I'm a big fan of the cuban espresso, bu haven't seen it canned. How long ago did you pick this up?

Also, I'm hoping to score some Marshal Zhukov's this afternoon. Fingers crossed :smokin

Back
Top Bottom