NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

That Not the Stoic was a very pleasant surprise.
I was sitting on a bottle for a year and decided to crack one open a few weeks ago. I wished I had opened it sooner! Smelled great, tasted great. ABV was hidden very well.

My favorite local brewery, Smog City, just started their tuesday hours and went last night.

Taster on the left is Spittin' & Cussin' - Sour Brown with cherries
Middle glass is Chip Shot Coffee Porter - Coffee Porter with orange and cinnamon
Taster on the right is This Sour Future - Red Wine barrel-aged Sour Brown
This Sour Future was excellent and I'm not a huge sour guy.

Don't sit on fbs too long. That coffee aroma makes up a good portion of what that beer is all about and that's gone with just 6 months on the bottles.

Setting up on a stout bout share tomorrow that would netrualize my collection and start fresh into the new year. This escalated quickly. This may need to go 3-4 days deep.

2014 vs 2015 on ten fidy, xococeza, and fbs. Then some big boy bombers, onto some standard bottle offerings. To think I was going to buy a few more fillers. I wanted old rasputin regular to compare with last year's ha offering. Oh well. I think I've had all but 2 before.

What are yall getting into?

Last edited:
^ hell of a lineup you got there Wally.

Going along with the stout theme today. Sipping on some KBS while watching the Warriors game. Really enjoying this one.

^I second that notion.  

I'm keeping tonight real low-key.  A few friends wanted me to go party out in Brooklyn with them, but the prospect of spending the night in a bunch of packed, mediocre bars isn't really up my alley.  Inviting a few friends over, cooking some food, and ordering some pizzas.  That's all I need in this world.

^ I'm with you there. Chillin' at a friends place tonight. Prefer it over all the craziness. Happy New Year NT :smokin

Grabbed some Victory Java Cask as I ran to my local Total Wine to get some bubbly for tonight. Excited to try it for the New Year. Happy New Years NT beer fams!!!

Comparison Ford Comparison Ford , can't make out those names. Are they always doing these sort of one off releases? never really seen the same can designs. What's their capacity like? Do they announce how many cans they get? Is there a thread on BA that can show me what happened today? I read a Thrillist article that mentioned OH as a "up and coming brewery". Ever since you mentioned them to me and traded some, I came away impressed. They had only been open a couple months before canning. That's unheard of around here.. Are they kegging for distro to other places? I remember their cans saying "not for resale" and didnt really have a barcode. So they seem to be doing stuff all in house at the moment? How big is the space? Just sorta interested in the dynamics that OH brings to the NYC area. I can't imagine that area in regards to hype. They already pull that crap with shoes, and electronics.

Staying in tonight. Got invited to some breweries but it's not worth the hassle. I got some fridge cleaning to do. Sucking back on some stouts tonight..

Prairie Bomb is worth the HYPE.. Wasn't sold the first time around and the almost $12/bottle. But todays pour had every ingredient dynamic showcased.

Last edited:
@Comparison Ford, can't make out those names. Are they always doing these sort of one off releases? What's their capacity like? Do they announce how many cans they get? Is there a thread on BA that can show me what happened today? I read a Thrillist article that mentioned OH as a "up and coming brewery". Ever since you mentioned them to me and traded some, I came away impressed. They had only been open a couple months before canning. Thats unheard of around here.. Are they kegging for distro to other places? How big is the space? Just sorta interested in the dynamics that OH brings to the NYC area. I can't imagine that area in regards to hype. They already pull that crap with shoes, and electronics.

Staying in tonight. Got invited to some breweries but it's not worth the hassle. I got some fridge cleaning to do. Sucking back on some stouts tonight..

Prairie Bomb is worth the HYPE.. Wasn't sold the first time around and the almost $12/bottle. But todays pour had every ingredient dynamic showcased.
Allow me to address your questions one by one.

Names of the beers: Suparillo (Double Amarillo IPA) and Forever Ever (Session IPA)

Are they always doing these sort of of one off releases?: For the most part. There have been repeat batches of certain single hop beers (Citra, Nelson, Mosaic) and they release Green Diamonds, All Green Everything, Hop Showers, and now Other Half IPA and Forever Ever periodically (hence the actual labels).  Other than that, it's usually at least one new beer every two weeks.

What's their capacity like?: The brewery itself is very small and the tasting room is cramped.  For can releases they generally do 200-250 cases of each beer per release.  Usually four 4-packs or 1 case limit per person depending on the beer.

Do they announce how many cans they get?:  They announce can releases between Monday-Wednesday prior to the Saturday release (today was an exception due to NYE), but they don't announce the exact quantities of each beer.

Is there a thread on BA that can show me what happened today?:  Yes.  If you go to the Mid-Atlantic regional forums on BeerAdvocate you'll stumble upon this thread: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/other-half-brewery-thread-december-2015.359959/ .  There's a new thread each month with new updates and news.

Are they kegging for distro to other places?: Yes, but it's primarily local.  Long Island and upstate NY gets a decent amount, but it's still few and far between.  I'm fortunate enough to live next to a really great craft beer bar that has a good relationship with Other Half, so I get a lot more exposure to Other Half beers than most on the island.

How big is the space?: See above in the question regarding capacity.

Cheers, Wally!

Awesome. A lot can change in 6-8 months but its nice to know how it currently is. I am planning a trip out there this summer.

Now its cliche But I want to do the whole VT brewery thing (again. Last time around, not much felt like it was worth a drive). Ive probably mentioned it 100 times, but back in 2008 we did a smaller brewery crawl through NH, MA, and ME. I pretty much did it before any of these more hyped places had tap rooms (brewing premises only), approachable tap room hours, or before some even existed. Then in 2012, I had some family do a VT brewery tour through the area. Heady Topper has been around for awhile. I guess I was out of the loop then. I guess they tried quite a few "now amazingly good and hyped" places and didnt realize what they were tasting at the time. Even Fiddlehead comes to mind. That gives a good indication of what HYPE can do as well. A family with no known ability to detect hype thought the beers in my area were better than VT.

Not sure how to approach the current beer situation in the NE. I dont even remember hearing about Treehouse or Trillium back when I was MA a couple years back. :smh: All my trips were ahead of their time. Even the NY area. All i remember from two plus years back was Captain Lawrence, and a god damn place in Times Square we visisted :smh:

THESE ARE THE DAYS FELLAS.

Next pour up:
2015 Parabola is too nice. Oaky/woody chocolate malt base sweetness. No ABV detectable really. Mouthfeel is heavy but there is a certain smoothness. Like a fine dessert wine. Except its not dessert 8)

Last edited:

Finally started hitting the gym this week and I want to keep drinking to a minimum even on New Year's Eve. This is all I'll be enjoying tonight. Cheers and Happy New Year.

It is. Have you had the Xmas Prairie Bomb!? I don't think it's as good as the original but totally worth the buy. 
Next pour up:
2015 Parabola is too nice. Oaky/woody chocolate malt base sweetness. No ABV detectable really. Mouthfeel is heavy but there is a certain smoothness. Like a fine dessert wine. Except its not dessert
glasses.gif
I've been sicker than hell since xmas so the 14' Prop BCS was the only thing I've had in over a week but I can't wait to crack open my 15' Parabola.

Not sure how to approach the current beer situation in the NE. I dont even remember hearing about Treehouse or Trillium back when I was MA a couple years back.
mean.gif
All my trips were ahead of their time. Even the NY area. All i remember from two plus years back was Captain Lawrence, and a god damn place in Times Square we visisted
mean.gif

Man listen, the current beer situation in NE is probably at a golden era in the beer world. Sure there's Treehouse and Trillium, which in MA probably producing nothing but home run hoppy beers. We got Night Shift Brewery in MA making some funky tart sours, coffee porters and then even top rated ipa beers like the 87 Double IPA, Whirlpool pale and Morph series can. We got Jack's Abby making hoppy lagers and tasty barrel aged baltic porters. Wormtown Be Hoppy IPA in Worcester, MA. We also Mystic Brewery in Chelsea, MA making fantastic saisons and wild ales.

Even outside MA there's Captains Daughter Double IPA from Grey Sail in Rhode Island. Kent Falls, New England Brewing Company, OEC and Two Roads in Connecticut making good stuff. But my personal favorite is Portland, Maine. I recommend you and also many folks out there to pick some Substance ale or SWISH double IPA cans from Bissell Brothers. The good thing about Bissell brothers is those guy are next door to Foundation Brewing, whom also make a great Double IPA called Epiphany that is probably good as Fiddlehead Mastermind, Sip of Sushine and King Julius. 

BCBCS (and three others) are on draft at the bar right by my place. Like it a lot better than the regular.

Ended up going with the BC Coffee, Xoco, and Prairie Christmas. This place is literally 50 ft away from my apartment. Pretty dang awesome. 

Last edited:
BCBCS (and three others) are on draft at the bar right by my place. Like it a lot better than the regular.

Ended up going with the BC Coffee, Xoco, and Prairie Christmas. This place is literally 50 ft away from my apartment. Pretty dang awesome. 

:nerd: that's a phenomenal short list right there. Where you from?

I'd be all over that if that was near me :lol:

Well had my first and last beer of 2015 last night.

I picked hoegaarden.

People always am surprised that I don't drink. I don't have a substance abuse issue. I'll drink if I need to but it's just by choice.

When I was 17 I got a dui and lost my license for a year. During that year I met a girl who wasn't into drinking, so I didn't drink til we split up when I turned 22. Got back into drinking again. Since then I turned 28 gained a son and a ton of responsibility, I didn't have time to go out and drink with my friends, partly because I have a house up on the hills and it's kinda sketchy driving faded in the hills. So I decided to not drink again. My son is gonna be two years old and I have a daughter coming in 5 months. Probably gonna finish this 6 pack and be done with beer again. Happy 2016 everyone.

If they still have Regal Rye on tap I'd recommend going back for some.  I was skeptical going into it, but I thought it was the best variant this year.

Back
Top Bottom