NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Im curious to hear about the peppermint victory at sea. Sounds tasty.

I'll let you know. Been sick for two weeks. Haven't had a beer in said amount of time :lol:

Ten Fidy is maybe my favorite stout. The 10.5% ABV is crazy well hidden...just super smooth all around.

Nice pickup on the Black Ops too. Have only had 1 oz samples at GABF, but it was crazy good.

I had the 2014 Black Ops and loved it. $21 but worth it. May snag the other one if its there this weekend.

Can't wait to try the Tenfidy. It was just sitting at the bottom of this end cap pushed back. Heard real good things about it.

Last edited:
pretty stoked for this one

Last edited:
Mangudai954, Sounds like you found a beer store that breaks open variety pack 12 packs, which is awesome. I had a smaller family joint that used to do that. They have since closed (total wine 2 miles to their north). They didnt really cater to the craft crowd and their prices on macro was a touch high, plus the place was a dump. So no love lost really. I do wonder what happened to many of their older bombers. The one perk they had was 6 doors of bombers that just sat there for years and years.. 2013 Old Stock still there. 2013 Orval.
-----------

Meyer23, sounds like you lasted about 6 days? lol

I call Ten Fidy, a no frills imperial stout. You will taste chocolate, slight dark malt, some dark fruit type flavors, and maybe not much else. No oak, vanilla, or wood, or any barrel influence to mess you up. It is like a thick motor oil as it pours. I've been buying the four packs whenever I see them.
---------------
Based mod, Founders is nice and all. The new car appeal is appealing. I thought all day and centennial were good. Local options are better. Blushing monk and project pam are pricey given their review scores. Other than backwoods, and FBS which are available in good quantities, I just dont mess with any other Founders.

------
dirtwolfof369, When Founders hit my area, their all day and cent. were about a month old out of the gate. I dont see their 15 pack of cans selling too too well. Price point is okay at $16. But given its abv, I just dont go for many of those offerings.. Spring is upon us though, so I may give those founders a shot (canning date pending). WHen they arrived in October, I was sort of not in the mood for that session beer.
----------
lifestooshort80, Good job on the narwhal. Im trying one tonight. That has been out of stock in my area for a good 1-3 months. The seasonal lifespan seems so short now a days. Distributors probably have SA Summer Ale ready to sell in April.

--------
Just a general word of caution for you all. I did 3 2014 vs. 2015 tastings of ten fidy, xocoveza, and founders breakfast stout. I probably mentioned here already. But they didnt age exactly well. So now, I'm pretty much trying to consume cases of beer within the next few months, without spending.. Total @home beer consumption. I feel like a hoarder who's finally cleaning up the place.I think I got you beat by at least a day Meyer23 lol. Weekends can be tough

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Gose style

I think Dogfish was ahead of their time with Festina Peche, technically not a Gose but pretty much one

WallyHopp, wow your one of first few to say that Ten Fidy loses it's taste after 1 year. You would think that since its package in a can that it would age well. I been looking to get a few cans of the Bourbon Barrel aged version of Ten Fidy but only a oskar blue taproom only beer.

I agree on getting local options most of the time than Founders. Honestly for me, it not just Founders, there's a ton of breweries other breweries that their beers usually I don't purchase as much into IPA department. I'm not nit picky about it but it's just suck when we get 2+ month old sn pale ale, founder all day, alpine, dogfish head 60 minute or revolution anti-hero. But hey at the same time always love when sn narwhal, Dog fish head world wide stout, founders kbs or lagunitas cappuccino stout is available. 

I hate the quick seasonal approach that breweries have nowadays. Who the hell wants Sam Adam Cold Snap when its 20 degrees outside? I always dread the moment when I see displays of Shipyard pumpkin ale in every store when it's July. 

Anyways enjoying a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin Forgotten Tales sour saison, which tasting quite tart and juicy. Always great things from Jolly Pumpkin in the sour department. 

Anyways enjoying a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin Forgotten Tales sour saison, which tasting quite tart and juicy. Always great things from Jolly Pumpkin in the sour department. 

Nice! A friend of mine is the one who worked with Jolly Pumpkin to blend/create that one. Had it on draft and at GABF...it's phenomenal.

She's saving me a bottle for the next time I make it back home to Kansas City, since bottles never made it to Colorado somehow.

Thought I hated pale ales before I had two hearted. What would y'all recommend next? Couldn't stand SN pale ale.

Something about this is so good. And I'm still getting use to letting certain beers warm up and that got better with every sip as it it got warmer.

It's odd cause I wanted to get two 4 packs and he asked if I could just grab one for now and I said it was cool. I hope he has more next time I stop there.

Last edited:
Heads up, bruerys preservation society is throwing in mocha Wednesday next round. I also still have access to a few more bottles of anyone wants to trade or shipped at cost.

meyer23 meyer23 my buddy and I snagged 2 packs of that Central Waters BA stout about a week ago, had a couple the other night and they're really solid imo but just a tad thin. We're going to age the second 4-pack and try it out next year.

Tried the Peanut Butter VaS tonight and really liked it. Was a slightly sweeter but smoother version of VaS. Also found BCBS on tap again around here and confirmed it's the absolute best beer I've ever had.

Last edited:
That's why I wanted 2 was to age one. I had the same opinions as you tho drinking it. I really need to just start drinking what I have, tho too. I get the aging thing but I feel like very few beers get that much better after saving it for so many years. I've had some aged beers and unless I have a current beer, it's hard for me to even remember what the difference in taste..

Ya'll see that Goose Island is issuing refunds for the Barleywine and Coffee BCS if you got bad ones? There is a thread on Beer Advocate about it as well: http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...unty-coffee-bourbon-county-barleywine.374030/

Last edited:
It's actually my first attempt at aging anything. I generally don't have the patience to let stuff sit that long but there's a ton of it available around here right now so figured it was worth it. I need to finish what I have fridged and stop going back to my local taps all the time instead :lol: It'll help me save some money too

I don't really age anything, I basically buy extra if I like it for later and drink it when I want.
laugh.gif
Or when I got some friends over that typically don't drink anything good I have a little stash to share and introduce them to something new. I got the wife running to see if my spot has more Prairie Bomb! as that's probably one of my favorite beers. She f'ing HATES when I send her on a beer run 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
WallyHopp, wow your one of first few to say that Ten Fidy loses it's taste after 1 year. You would think that since its package in a can that it would age well. I been looking to get a few cans of the Bourbon Barrel aged version of Ten Fidy but only a oskar blue taproom only beer.
Maybe I didn't word my post right. I wouldn't say it loses its taste, as much as it loses its bitterness, and thus the balance, for me, is out of wack. It just turns into a very sweet dark fruit beer. The flavor profile changes quite a bit. I just really like it when it has more balance. It may in fact have more flavor now that the bitterness is subdued...

A lot of these ten fidy cans sit around my way. I remember buying some from TW. I had thought it was a new stock re stock, but it was an old stock restock. They had been sold out for a couple months and when they finally got more, it wasn't ideally fresh. I also remember an older can I had that tasted oxidized.. Many people may be onto something about cans not aging too well.
-----------

Apparently that SN Gose is a new year rounder. It just so happened to be releasing a bit early in the year. If its priced right, and not where 4% AVBC Gose is ($10/sixer), I could see a less flavorful more approachable gose as a go to for the hotter months. If they can price that right at $8/sixer or lower, they'll be good in my book.
-------
I'm currently on the IR from beer. Stomach flu has me going crazy these past two days. With that said, I'm currently 9 days with no new beer buys/brewery tries. Wallet looking thicker. Lost about 6lbs. (that may be due to the flu but Ill credit no beer). I'm actually spreadsheeting every beer I would have impulsively bought since the 1st. So far I'm up to $113. I don't think unplugging from the internet is a good idea for me. So I'll stick around here for awhile.

Some notables I'm missing out on:

5 year vertical available of Abyss.. Glad I'm missing that one
Deschutes Red Chair NWPA is a must try since you know its fresh
SN Gose- Would be fun to give it an honest try
SN neo mex- Wild hop brewed SN bomber.
sucker punch DIPA- local brewery releasing their bomber of what is likely overpriced.
azacca- I think ive had this hop variety before. I liked it. Never had this specific beer
Avery raja- Their year round DIPA. Great BA score too.
--

Don't miss out on the red chair. That's a good one for a great price. I think the beer gods are cursing me though. I had a Schlitz the night before I wound up sick. :smh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom