NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Grabbed one of these while i was in LA.

I like thick beer mugs for porters/stouts more than snifters. For me the snifter lets it warm up too fast.

Last edited:
Exactly. I find that my mug while it takes longer to warm, lets it stays in the sweet spot longer when it does.

Last edited:
Isn't quite as sweet as I'm used too but still a solid choice. Have to grab another 4 next time I stop in.

Can definitely taste the peppermint. Not as sweet as I assumed it was be but very good. If buy it again.

Today is a good day. Was sick for two weeks. Got some catching up to do :lol:

Last edited:
Today is a good day. Was sick for two weeks. Got some catching up to do :lol:

You've been going in today! A 10.5%, 10%, and 14.2% in one afternoon would have me out :lol: all three solid choices.

Currently trying the SN Narwhal, so far I like it. The coffee really comes through strong for me.

meyer23, that not so sweet bite on ten fidy is what is scary about the 10.5%. You forget its there. As it ages (give it a year, or find older cans) the balance gears more towards feeling sweeter.

A local beer bar and grill is having a Victory @ Sea day in a couple days... Regular VaS, Peanut butter, peppermint, toasted coconut, and an elijah craig barrel variety. So tempting. Counting that event if I miss it and some missed la cumbre chances from friday, I'm at $171 saved if I can make it past this week. :smh:

I try to avoid collecting various types of beer glasses. It can get out of hand rather quickly. I think I am only missing a teku before I want to retire from that whole variety buying process.

For the most part, for 80% of beers, I use a glass shaped like this
sbc_balloon_glass.jpg

It's like a balloon shaped tulip type snifter.

Anymore a shaker pint feels too heavy, and the glass too thick. Yet I have more than 25 of those.

Last edited:
^i had no idea that fidy was that strong. I felt it but assumed it was because I haven't had a drink in two weeks. That BCS put me in. I'm fighting to stay awake for the Packers game :lol:

Meyer23, it's a nice play on words by Oskar Blues.. Ten is self explanatory. Fidy= a nickname of sorts for the # 50... 1050= 10.50%. It's ABV is the beers name. Not everyone gets that initially. Quite a few make statements that it has a used motor oil type appearance, leading to some thinking they went that route because of how motor oils are named, 10w30, 5w30 etc... Some in sense, this would be 10w50.
--------

First beer after nearly 4 days was a homebrew we just haven't gotten to completly drinking. We brewed it mid August :smh:. We added cascade hops to the serving keg, and have never taken them out. So some 4 months later, the hop flavors are pretty explosive still.. We may be accidentially onto something. I think the hop sock sunk to the bottom of the keg, so all of the beer is directly flowing through the hop sock. It's basically been marinating in hops for 4 months. :D
f5ce96e67664ae3b3664338d36beaa79_640x640.jpg

On the left was what was supposed to be a lighter SN Pale Ale type clone that hasn't cleared out, even some 4 months later. Time to just suck it up and drink the rest.. Flavors are fine, if not too mellow. I think ABV fell to 5% levels :smh:.
The better of the two was our Fat Tire esque clone. It now feels more like a slightly hoppy red ale, since we dry hopped it. That one cleared out fine to commercial brewery levels. Slight hint of more caramel malt, and more abv, as a result. Who says age hurts hoppy beers?

Went to Maple Bacon Coffee Porter day over the weekend. Was able to try some amazing beers at a beer share before hand and also at the festival. Found out I actually enjoy good Saisons.

I wish I was able to grab more of these. This tastes amazing.

Also grabbed a bottle of the Vorlauf. Will be grabbing a few more.

I actually scooped up a couple of those tulip glasses from MBCP day. Was surprised at how much I enjoyed using it throughout the festival. These are smaller though.

Thats really dope that you home brew. When I get my own place I plan to look into doing it myself.

Had the Andy Gator tonight. My first Helles doppelbock. I really liked it. It actually reminds me of a beer I had previously, though I'm not sure which one. If I had to guess I'd say possibly Weihenstephaner's Oktoberfestbier which is interesting. Because when I had it a few months ago I didn't like it. It appears my taste is still changing.

12 days I lasted. Got tired of stouts each and every time out. I hit up total wine. I think I did well. Stopped just short of $30.

Had to get some fresh deschutes NWPA. I've been talking about it too long. $8
Fresh project dank came out. Always worth a try. $9
Elevated cans. About two weeks old. $9

There was another BBA Imperial Stout release today. I missed going there on purpose. That wouldve been a costly evening...

In closing thus far, I have saved about $165 potential beer dollars ($190 initially - $25 spent today).

Not bad. Not bad. I saw almost every one of the bottles I had wanted at TW and then some.. I dont go there for two weeks and the place has changed lol.

I suggest everyone give this a shot. Eye opening on what is actually consumed. Untappd is a good idea. and bottle shares do happen. But some folks dropping 9 beers a night is crazy.

^I've been "better" at dialing back this year. I backed off a couple of buys already. I'd guess I've saved around maybe $75 or so, give or take but other than my one bigger purchase I posted earlier, I've been pretty quiet. I'm REALLY trying to drink what I have. I'm not really into "cellar'ing" beers but I do like saving a few I like for a rainy day. My problem is none of my friends are into craft beer. I mean they will try stuff when they come over but otherwise, you guys are all I have 
laugh.gif

So Deschutes Red Chair NW Pale Ale is really solid. Yet may be forgetable. It starts off sweet with just a light citrus blast of hops, and it turns into a drier finish with a real nice caramel malt flavor coming out towards the end. at $8/sixer, it's a great seasonal pickup. I hear NW and assume super hoppy or aromatic. I'd consider it more of a semi hoppy red ale. It's a nice mixup between a malty beer with minimal hops and the supper hoppy IPAs. 5 more tries with that one.

Some finishing thoughts on Deschutes Obsidian and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. The GFES feels overpriced. It's something like $10-11/4pack of 11.2oz bottles. Maybe because it wasn't super fresh, but it had this sweet licorice sort of flavor. I much prefer what Obsidian has to offer (even moreso is a local option, Marble Oatmeal Stout).

Odell has a chocolate milk stout out now too. I had to steer clear from buying that one. No more impulse buys.. That stout is called Lugene's Chocolate Milk Stout. ABV is up there. It's worth a shot.

I was wrong about that local imperial stout release. It's tonight. Would likely be a fun crowded event. I got invited to that one. $7/13oz pours turns me away ultimately. I feel taken advantage of anymore. That beer is awesome too. I guess I'm learning to say no, even if something is world class and releases just once a year. Even my favorite IPA that only comes in bombers is making me mad. $9/bomber. I could've bought a nice six pack:smh:. I'm not about to turn to cheap 40 malt liquor. I'm not that type of drunk. But just 13 days into the new year, I realize how crazy my habits truly were. Every $$ saved is going into a vacation fund, which just so happens to likely be beer based lol.

Odell has a chocolate milk stout out now too. I had to steer clear from buying that one. No more impulse buys.. That stout is called Lugene's Chocolate Milk Stout. ABV is up there. It's worth a shot.

Lugene is really, really good. Definitely pick up at least a single or find it on tap at the least.

And now on to today's pickup. In December, to celebrate the Kansas City Royals' first World Series win in 30 years, Boulevard Brewing Co. (from K.C.) released Crown Town Ale.

But it was only released in Kansas City and the immediate surroundings (which is my hometown) and was relatively limited with crazy lines and all that. So my awesome 72-year old mom got up early on release day and waited in line to snag a couple bottles for me.

She even waited until after the Xmas shipping craziness to send it so it didn't get thrown around and possibly broken.

Can't wait to crack these open!

Last edited:

Been on porters/stouts heavy lately. Almost didn't want to get anything else. I'll give trippels and more maibocks a try after this. May wait till spring to try the latter.

Let's see how this goes.

Last edited:
I liked Project Pam. I used to mess with a girl called "Project Pam"...

Just saw that other half is doing an oat IPA collab. Wish I could get down to NY for it.

Back
Top Bottom