NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

For the all star game.

Total Wine just opened up near me. Stopped by to see if they had anything worth picking up. Other than BCBS, they didn't really have much. Ended up with singles of Sam Adams GF IPA, GF Tangerine Soul Style and Oskar Blues Hot Box.

How long have you been into craft beer?
I had to backtrack and read some posts here (hilarious what I said I used to like and LOVE. I bought a case of Victoria for godsake). But pretty much 8 years now. First 4 I hated anything hoppy, overly bitter, or dark. I did want to try pretty much anything else that was out there. Brewery visits out of town. Special beer store stops just to try anything and everything. Beer ratings had no perception for me really. Then I tried some local award winning fresh IPA and it's been nothing but IPAs and stouts for the past 4 years. Home brewing happened. Beer trading happened.Now some of those same beers are being distributed here. It's all really come full circle so quickly it seems.. Breweries went from 4 in my area that I wanted to visit, to over 24 (I still contend only 8 are worth visiting). But they are there. I'm more keen to where my money goes by checking reviews.

I did call this sort of brewery thing a revolution back in 2011. I guess we all saw it coming. Too bad I didnt invest or go that career route.
--------------------

Meyer, good looks on the prairie bomb. I had a single bottle a couple months back and was shocked at how much of the different flavor elements I could pick up. Easily worth the price. Mixing that with Ten Fidy would be a real nice try for sure. I call 1050 a no frills straight dark fruitish type of imperial stout. There are no added flavors to make it taste any different. It's all malts and yeast. Even FBS is a touch basic. So those two as base beers when you mix are perfect beers to do that with.. I have yet to mix IPAs. I don't know if I want to mix any other beers or styles. It may get ugly.

----------
Total wine has these sales called "bottle busters". It's basically 6 or 12 pack of beers on a coupon sheet that are some $2 cheaper than their already cheap prices. I have not been doing well in slowing down.

NB Citradelic, I am on my 4th 12 pack in what seems like 4 weeks now. Quite a hit at the my SB party... Some more FBS picked up. At $9/four, I may never say no. It has to be drying up, right? I know Xocoveza lasted only a month in my area stores. I was smart with my large purchase. So I'm at least glad FBS is still around
-----------
Hit up like 5 breweries/bars this weekend. :smh: Long weekends are killer.

Local brewery re released their National IPA challenge winner, scale tipper. Just so juicy, dank, citrusy, slightly oniony. I imagine this is what some Trillium and OH beers are like. No growlers, so I had my three large glasses and was off to the next place. Chama River, more of a eatery in my area, but its been known to have par to above par stuff. Two IPAs on draft were drastically different than scale tipper. Nice contrast. Both were a bit more malty and sweet. Finished with a GABF winning lager.. Next place, La Cumbre. Project Dank was tasting especially nice. It had been months since a draft pour. Sad coming from the "leader" of checkins on that particular beer. THey also had a cascade hop back that seemed to lack a certain PUNCH in your face in regards to aroma or taste. I did get word that they'll be canning their award winning pilsner next. Sadly, its all about price point with pilsners. So they will have to get that one right. No one wants a 5.3% beer that costs as much as a 7.2% hoppy beast.
--------
neosole89, you say that now lol. I could have bought a second car with what Ive spent since mine opened up.
Tw is tricky. Look up the location online. Their inventory is usually spot on. Price points here are usually $2-3 below other places. They won't really check canning or bottling dates either. So its no better or worse than any other place. Just another avenue to pick up beer.

-----------
Weekend haul- $52 at TW, including 4 elevated ipa four packs (on sale for $7! ), a marble pilsner 6 pack, citradelic 12pack for $12.50, another sam adams rebel GF IPA sixer, and some 1more FBS. Throw in 4 brewery stops and a bar visit, and things were ugly.. I had fun though

Forgot to mention a brewery that does pitcher pours. First I have seen in my area, So appreciated. We had some ESB. Basically felt like a malty red/ oktoberfest type of beer. Switching it up is key. They also had a new IPA out featuring eldorado and Mosaic hops. I' catch such juicy elements out of these beers. Pretty under rated gem imho. I dont see myself trading anytime soon.

And apparently I drank 3 FBS' last night after the ASW festivities and didnt quite remember drinking them. I hate when great beer gets wasted. Anyone else like that?

Last edited:
man. my beer snob is about to come out.

Bar tender just explained to me that New Belgium Blue Paddle was a sour beer.. ( it's a czech pils btw). I had to look it up on my phone after. :smh:

Had another bartender call a "hefe weizen" (heif-a-why-zen) a 'Heifer-weizer'. I guess they're used to Budweiser sounding so close to hefeweizer lol. Think of a female cow, a heifer, and add the end of budweiser, and you'll get what I'm trying to say.

They'll happily take my money on overpriced pints but dont give a crap about knowing what they are selling.

Last edited:
For general bars, as in ones that sell liquor and beer, I think the bartenders there are mostly to look pretty.

Honestly I don't care and don't expect them to have a sommelier's knowledge of beer. Just buy my pour and keep it moving

Pretty girls don't get me into a bar, because straight chick; I don't expect a server to be a cicerone, but I also don't want them to pretend to have knowledge they don't. Only thing that matters is good selection & atmosphere...and CLEAN LINES! Local bar here gets amazing beer (Bell's Black Note, BCBS, etc) but that stuff sits because they have filthy draft lines.

man. my beer snob is about to come out.

Bar tender just explained to me that New Belgium Blue Paddle was a sour beer.. ( it's a czech pils btw). I had to look it up on my phone after.
mean.gif

Had another bartender call a "hefe weizen" (heif-a-why-zen) a 'Heifer-weizer'. I guess they're used to Budweiser sounding so close to hefeweizer lol. Think of a female cow, a heifer, and add the end of budweiser, and you'll get what I'm trying to say.

They'll happily take my money on overpriced pints but dont give a crap about knowing what they are selling.
I don't even bother to ask unless it's a true craft beer place.

Just look up the beer on your phone.
laugh.gif

Schulpin is not food me. Had commodore stout tonight. It's good.

I see what you mean now Wally as far as going from light to dark drinking.

Last edited:
Cracked one of these open tonight. I've grown accustomed to it, but it's such an intense beer initially.  Huge flavors, huge mouthfeel, with a solid amount of booze on it.  The booze is tolerable as is, but this could definitely benefit from a year or two to mellow out:

Very tasty, but not for the faint of heart.  Excited to see how my other bottles develop over time.

Speaking of NY imperial stouts:  Finback is releasing its Apple Brandy Barrel-Aged BQE on the 28th.  Not entirely too sure what the bottle limits are gonna be like, but I'm ready and willing to buy that whole goddamb brewery if need be.

Last edited:
Im with raburns04

I don't know. I would just rather them be totally uninformed rather than ill informed, or pretend to know. Say "I dont know", and I'm okay. I have my phone. But hearing their sales pitch gets old.

Dirty lines, to me, is when its a beer you have had before and you are able to somewhat compare. With this second time around, the beer tastes old, or muted. or even musky. or fruity when it shouldnt be. I had a Stone IPA on draft for the first time ever. Crazy but I had to confirm with untappd. It tasted like a 3 month old sculpin. I then had a elevated ipa, a local IPA. That one felt and tasted much fresher.. Now I couldnt tell if the lines were dirty because I had never had the Stone before, but something was up. It tasted a bit old. It's a real challenge when you have never had something before and it sorta tastes weird. I tend to look at online review scores. If I hated something rated above 90, I may have to revisit in another venue.

So speaking of dirty tap lines. We used a tapline for some rootbeer a couple years back, and those residual root beer flavors stuck with that tap line for a good 6 months. So if its a place not cleaning their lines regularly, or at all, or they switch out lines from one extreme style to another, our mouths can pick up on all that.

Sculpin is iffy for some people. It's extremely light in malts on the backend, so it feels less sweet. I call it a dry finish. Almost every Sierra Nevada IPA beer I have had, has had some sense of more sweetness. And they are extremely popular.. I say just keep trying the IPAs and see whats out there. Make notes of the hates, and move onto others. Sculpin is almost entirely the lighter flavored citrus hops.. GF sculpin adds in a bit of fruit bit it doesnt change the taste. I have no recommendations beyond checking dates on cans/bottles, and trying more and more

neosole89, you say that now lol. I could have bought a second car with what Ive spent since mine opened up.
Tw is tricky. Look up the location online. Their inventory is usually spot on. Price points here are usually $2-3 below other places. They won't really check canning or bottling dates either. So its no better or worse than any other place. Just another avenue to pick up beer.

Yeah, signed up for the mailing list so we'll see what happens moving forward :lol:. Selection is slightly better than my local Bevmo so i'll definitely be back. I do like the fact that you can buy singles which allows me to try beers without having to buy a sixer.

Cracked one of these open tonight. I've grown accustomed to it, but it's such an intense beer initially.  Huge flavors, huge mouthfeel, with a solid amount of booze on it.  The booze is tolerable as is, but this could definitely benefit from a year or two to mellow out:

Very tasty, but not for the faint of heart.  Excited to see how my other bottles develop over time.

Speaking of NY imperial stouts:  Finback is releasing its Apple Brandy Barrel-Aged BQE on the 28th.  Not entirely too sure what the bottle limits are gonna be like, but I'm ready and willing to buy that whole goddamb brewery if need be.

That Teku is real nice :smokin

Last edited:
Tried FBS on tap. Tasted great, boozier than I remember. I suspect I've been drinking them slightly colder than optimal.

Having Chancellor made by tequesta brewing here in Florida. I think its my first kolsch, very sessionable makes me think of summer. It's good.

Last edited:
Why are the cans & bottles recycling centers closed for the last week? I've been driving around with my truck with cans flying around in the back. San jose & LA is open but not in the Eastbay.

And apparently I drank 3 FBS' last night after the ASW festivities and didnt quite remember drinking them. I hate when great beer gets wasted. Anyone else like that?
Yes. Usually I try to enjoy by "good" beer but sometimes it catches up to me and then I sort of get in a mood where I'm gonna just keep going. Next morning I see what I drank and I get pissed for essentially wasting them by not enjoying them as I should have. It's rare but it happens. 

I've dialed it back so much this year. It feels so good. Even the few times I went, I didn't get much. 

I missed the Abyss Rye but was able to get a bottle of The Dissident, from Deschutes. Otherwise, I keep putting off FBS and Backwoods Bastard which I really need to restock. 

There isn't much that has got me wanting to drink these year. I think I'm in a bit of funk.

Was able to snag a 4 pack of FBS for $12.99 at Whole Foods. Can't wait to be reunited after so many years.

Also saw plenty of 6 pack cans of Hopslam. Then I saw the price of $19.99 and kept it moving.

Why are the cans & bottles recycling centers closed for the last week? I've been driving around with my truck with cans flying around in the back. San jose & LA is open but not in the Eastbay.

Do they pay you for them? Normally I recycle them at Target.

Last edited:
Yeah they pay about $15 for a truckload. My dad redeems it to buy a case of beer. Now every place is closed & i'm driving around with cans flying out if I hit about 70mph lol.

No doubt. Maybe I should start doing that.

Cold Snap on tap. Not bad! Mellow and finishes with a clean taste.

I can dig it.

Was able to snag a 4 pack of FBS for $12.99 at Whole Foods. Can't wait to be reunited after so many years.

Also saw plenty of 6 pack cans of Hopslam. Then I saw the price of $19.99 and kept it moving.

Gonna have a FBS tonight when I get home from work :smokin

Cheers fambz [emoji]127867[/emoji]

Do they have skintones for non humans? Brown would be clutch for the beer emoji right now :lol:

Last edited:
I noticed craft beer enthusiasts like to drink moderately. How much do you guys consume per session? I like to get wasted.

Back
Top Bottom