NT , your thoughts on your children marrying outside of their race . Mature Discusson ...

Originally Posted by scshift

I don't care at all, as long as they're cool it's all good.

I do want my son if I had one to marry an attractive woman though. And the most attractive women are white, so damn straight he'll probably be marrying outside of the race. No big deal though.

indifferent.gif

clown

If I had children, I wouldn't care if they married outside of their race. As long as they're in a healthy, stable relationship I'm down. Even if you feel like your child should marry within their race or be designated to a particular race/nationality, you should be careful with pressing the issue onto them. They'll rebel it against it.

I was brought up with the mindset that love knows no color. So I wouldn't have a problem with it personally.

okay first off folks coming from someone with experience from the mixed point of view (afr amer./italian) along with the fact that I was a social science ed teacher this is a lil silly in my opinion for grown men in this day and age to want to keep their "race" in tact. First off puerto rican is not a race. If you look at the genealogy of modern day people native to the island they are largely the descendants of Europeans, Taíno, Africans or a blend of these groups which has produced a very diversified population. Obviously throughout the years since the end of the slave trade other types of immigrants had made their way to the island but this is where im confused by his comments... When he says "race" i'm guessing he means he would like his daughters with other puerto ricans with similar features to theirs.. Obviously Puerto Ricans come in diff skin colors and growing up around both folks from PR and DR here in FL I know that there's times at first glance where its would be hard to distinguish between those cultural groups and Afr Americans. On the cultural side of things why would it be a detriment to your culture if they married outside their "culture"? Is it impossible for a child to know multiple cultures and pass on traditions without being 100 % one background? I'd think so.. No knock to you fella but in my opinion it'd be best for you to get better educated on society to understand diversity, it's advantages, better understand the make up of Puerto Rican People/History (not just who you see on a daily basis) then say to yourself .. would my daughters benefit as much as i think from doing so? Just my thoughts.. No disrespect..

My childhood has worked out in my favor in terms of marrying outside my race. My father is a Nigerian who married an AA woman (my mom). After they were divorced he married a woman of European decent (I now have a white stepmom)....

I'm pretty sure at this point my fathers side doesn't really care who I would marry, although I know my mom would prefer an African American woman (which my girl currently is)

As for my own children I have no personal preference. Honestly its whatever makes them happy. Although if they do marry someone outside their race they better be able to handle some of the racist jokes my family will say (all in good fun)

Diversity is a great thing...

I think marrying a different race/culture is awesome....you learn so much from something different than you own.  Plus the food is always amazinggggggg.

I'm mixed so my children will be mixed just by default.
I would really be limiting them if I tried to force them to marry another Brazilian+Italian+whatever their father may be
laugh.gif

Who cares, who they marry.... 1. It's not our choice 2. It's 2011, time for us all to grow up and admit the race of someone SHOULDN'T mean a damn thing when it comes to love & marriage..

i understand what OP is saying. Preference toward one thing doesn't equal discrimination against others. For example, I prefer coke over pepsi. if my wife comes home from the grocery store with pepsi instead of coke, it's not a big deal, i'm still going to drink and enjoy it. I have an aunt who absolutely will only drink pepsi. If there's coke and not pepsi, she won't drink the coke.

there's a lot of reasons why a parent would prefer their child date within their race. shared experience unique to one sort of people being the most influential.

that said, i have a 3 yr old daughter. my wife and i are both black. i would prefer her be with someone who treats her well, is educated, has their affairs in order, and will respect her. whether that person is black, white, asian, hispanic is of less concern than that person meeting the criteria i posted above.

also, i thought this thread was about YOUR children marrying outside of their race, not your hypothetical children marrying outside their race.

As long as my kids don't do something crazy like marry a Japanese anime/video game character, I wouldn't trip.

As parents, once your child reach that age, your opinions just just be opinions. Of course u might not like their decision but time heals all wounds. I'm all for finding someone who truly loves and cares about u no matter what race.

Also would it be fair to the man/woman just to be with them just because its what your parents want? U might find love yea but deep down instead your thinking "damn i'm with him/her because that's what my parents want." U only live once and your parents shouldnt dictate your future.

I have no kids btw...not that I know of.

@and1play5

Since your Nigerian, how do your parents feel about other races in regards to marriage?

I know some is real strict as hell and ready to disown their child.

all i know is that oneday "pure blooded" people will be the laughing stock of the world
with their recessive, weak, unevolved genes.

Marrying?  I think at that point I'd be past skin color, and more concerned whether or not the person they're marrying is a piece of garbage based on my interactions w/ them up to that point. 

No lie though, when they started dating, I'd be hoping like hell that my own personal experiences would mean nothing, and my preconceived notions would be wrong.

Originally Posted by richiecotite

i understand what OP is saying. Preference toward one thing doesn't equal discrimination against others. For example, I prefer coke over pepsi. if my wife comes home from the grocery store with pepsi instead of coke, it's not a big deal, i'm still going to drink and enjoy it. I have an aunt who absolutely will only drink pepsi. If there's coke and not pepsi, she won't drink the coke.

there's a lot of reasons why a parent would prefer their child date within their race. shared experience unique to one sort of people being the most influential.

that said, i have a 3 yr old daughter. my wife and i are both black. i would prefer her be with someone who treats her well, is educated, has their affairs in order, and will respect her. whether that person is black, white, asian, hispanic is of less concern than that person meeting the criteria i posted above.

also, i thought this thread was about YOUR children marrying outside of their race, not your hypothetical children marrying outside their race.
 This.

Umm I find the most attractive women in the world happen to be white. It's not a big deal.

Some people think Beyonce is the most attractive woman in the world. So to them the most attractive woman in the world is black.

I made it clear that every race has attractive and ugly people. Just because you don't agree with my statement doesn't make it invalid.

Considering that my daughter is the product of an interracial relationship, I'm in no position to make an issue out of race.

I'd marry outside my race therefore my children can too.

Who's to tell you who you should or shouldn't marry? That's a load of bull.

Originally Posted by Strawberry Milkshakes

In this day and age, if my daughter can find someone who doesnt beat her, cheat on her, is educated, not in massive debt and has goals and aspirations in life then I'm only going to smile.

No matter the creed, color, hair, facial structure, eyesight or missing limbs

You're are missing the bigger picture.

couldnt have said it better

Other than for cultural preservation and racism nevertheless from a traditional standpoint, I cant understand how anyone could be opposed to this. It's about time we learn to love one another for who we are and not what we are. But of course this is only my opinion.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by Strawberry Milkshakes

In this day and age, if my daughter can find someone who doesnt beat her, cheat on her, is educated, not in massive debt and has goals and aspirations in life then I'm only going to smile.

No matter the creed, color, hair, facial structure, eyesight or missing limbs

You're are missing the bigger picture.

this

love knows no color...you treat my kids right i'll love you too
What they said.

"Ah.. the Annual NT Marrying Outside Your Race thread... what would NT be without it....

"..to keep our race going.." Really? REALLY? 
tired.gif
 "

Same here. I heard somebody mention they wanted their children to marry within their race to "preserve [their] legacy". I was like "GTHOH".

Back
Top Bottom