Official 2012 US Open Thread ( Vol. Kimmy's Last Run)

Serena! You were looking too beautiful in that navy and lime green to lose today. :smokin

I think Vika and Berdych will both rue what could have been in Flushing Meadows. A U.S. Open Final for Vika, Slam Final appearance for Berdych.

Ready and excited for tomorrow. Hoping for a five-setter with Andy prevailing. Tennis intelligence tells me it will be Nole though.

Ending Super Saturday is for the best. I'm sad though because Super Saturday was always a huge part of my childhood growing up.

Rain and Rest Days Spell the End of Super Saturday
Ben Solomon for The New York Times

Weather delayed Saturday’s play at the U.S. Open, and the women’s final was postponed. More Photos »
By GEORGE VECSEY
Published: September 8, 2012

Say goodbye to Super Saturday, as we have known it. With its meteorological and emotional intensity, its drama kings and drama queens, Super Saturday has been the centerpiece of the United States Open for nearly three decades.

Rain fell at Arthur Ashe Stadium, where only one of Saturday’s three matches was completed and where the wind bedeviled the players.

This final edition of Super Saturday was haunted by weather, with warnings of extreme weather causing the day’s program to be ended at 5:11 p.m. More Photos »

But this day of days is heading toward a multimillion-dollar extreme makeover of unknown structure. Next year the Open will try to please stars like Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, by scheduling a day of rest between the semifinals and the finals for men and women.

Quite fittingly, this final edition of Super Saturday was haunted by weather, with warnings of extreme weather causing the day’s program to be ended at 5:11 p.m. and forcing the Open to be extended to Monday for the fifth straight year. This latest improvisation might serve as a tryout for a scheduled Monday final as soon as next year.

This last Super Saturday began with rain and warnings of severe weather, forcing fans and workers to seek cover and closing down the tennis center for about half an hour before the scheduled 11 a.m. start of play.

The threat of severe weather forced the women’s final between Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka, scheduled for Saturday night, to be postponed until Sunday, which made sense. Given the ominous forecast, it made less sense to keep the Andy Murray-Tomas Berdych semifinal in Ashe Stadium (Murray won a long four-setter) and not move the David Ferrer-Novak Djokovic semifinal to Armstrong Stadium. That second match did not get out of the first set before storm warnings caused it to be postponed to Sunday.

David Brewer, the new tournament director, said he had hoped to get both matches in on Ashe without forcing fans to rush to an alternate match in the smaller Armstrong Stadium, which has happened in the past. There are other factors: the players, performers as well as competitors, do not like being shunted to a secondary stadium; and CBS understandably does not want both semifinals played simultaneously. Still, Open officials may have made the wrong decision after the 90-minute delay from the morning storm.

Turbulent weather in early September is not going to go away. But next year the format of the tournament is going to change.

“You have to start with the premise that players will get a day off between the semifinals and the finals,” Sean McManus, the chairman of CBS Sports, said Friday in a telephone interview.

McManus listed two options for the men — semifinals on Friday and final on Sunday, or semifinals on Saturday and final on Monday night — with the women’s finalists also getting a day off between matches, playing on Thursday and Saturday or on Friday and Sunday.

Many fans do not care if the men or the women have to play back-to-back — not at the money the players make. But the game has become more physical because of the players’ increased size and conditioning and the upgrade in firepower of the rackets. Contemporary tennis is more demanding on the players’ bodies.

The wonder is that the players piped up at all. They know that Saturday and Sunday are the best days for CBS, which has been showing this tournament since 1968. The three other Grand Slam tournaments, two with roofs over their main courts and the French Open with a roof in the planning stage, have long separated the semifinals and the finals, but the Open has stayed with a model of women’s semifinals on Friday and final on Saturday, and men’s semifinals on Saturday and final on Sunday.

“Super Saturday has provided the greatest platform for tennis,” Chris Widmaier, a spokesman for the United States Tennis Association, said last week.

“We recognize that the physicality of the game has changed,” he said. “We will provide a day of rest.”

Widmaier added, “We still have certain scenarios to work out.”

McManus, when asked about the economics of restructuring, said: “A lot of it is financial. We’re analyzing it. They are well aware of it.”

The Monday finals the past four years were a sweet coda to the hectic two weeks, but murder on ratings.

“I can tell you that Monday night is awful,” said Neal Pilson, who ran CBS Sports from 1981 through 1994 and is now a consultant and does not speak for the network.

Monday evening has belonged to the N.F.L. since Howard Cosell began emoting into the night in 1970. The longtime wisdom is that women will prefer alternative programming, which theoretically may include tennis.

Super Saturday became an instant sensation in 1984, when the men’s semifinals were sandwiched around the women’s final. The event was not yet billed as Super Saturday, just as the championship game of pro football was not named the Super Bowl when it came along after the 1966 season.

That Saturday in 1984 is still considered one of the great tennis days. It began with a bonus match between two former champions, Stan Smith and John Newcombe, not long past their prime.

In the first men’s semifinal, Ivan Lendl outlasted Pat Cash in five sets, two of them tiebreakers, while Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert hung out together in the locker room, waiting.

“Now, it seems inconceivable that we didn’t have a starting time for a final,” Navratilova wrote last week in an e-mail. “For me that was the most difficult thing. I think the Super Saturday was great for TV, and the fans, but horrible for all the players. Guys having to play such a big match at 11, then us and then the other semifinal where the winner is at a big disadvantage for Sunday. So a bad scenario all the way around for the players that brought the best day of tennis of the year for everyone else.”

The rivals shared Navratilova’s stash of bagels until they finally got on the court, and Navratilova prevailed after losing the first set. Then John McEnroe outlasted Jimmy Connors in five sets, ending at 11:16 p.m., 12 hours after Super Saturday began.

CBS has continued to sell this super day of tennis, with adventures along the way. In 1987, the women’s semifinals ran long on a Friday afternoon, and hearing that CBS might delay the first national evening newscast at 6:30 p.m., Dan Rather left the studio. When the match suddenly ended, through a series of glitches, CBS went dark for six long minutes.

The next morning, because of a forecast for bad weather, officials moved up the starting time for Super Saturday to 10 a.m. from 11 a.m. The two opponents scheduled for the early match, Stefan Edberg and Mats Wilander, felt aggrieved enough to stage a Swedish-style uprising, arriving 15 minutes late. That showed ’em.

In 1996, with the women’s final moved back to Sunday, Steffi Graf barely outlasted Monica Seles before a vicious gale lashed the center.

Now the male players are forcing the Open to rework its lucrative arrangement with CBS.

“You could make the argument that the reason these guys make so much money is from that exposure,” Pilson said, referring not only to prize money, but also to endorsements.

“If they change it, they change the economics of it,” Pilson continued.

“Life’s a trade-off,” he said.

The women have been making trade-offs, playing the semifinals and final back-to-back, although they play only best-of-three matches. In 2001, their final was given a separate time slot (and separate admission). CBS’s McManus happens to know that in the 11 years of a separate final, “we’ve never had more than two sets.” Maybe the demise of Super Saturday will make that happen. Or not.

My girl Vika played better than people expected her to. Tough loss for her :frown:. You're up 5-3 in the last set and can't close it out. Serena dug deep and won the last 4 games.

Not even having one ace is pretty bad. Vika is a strong player, how difficult is it to add some mph on her serve? Can she get some better technique or is she just a naturally weak server? The second best server in the women's game would be Stosur right?

Azarenka played a great game. Serena, on the other hand, is just a beast physically (as usual)

I thought Azarenka was done when she loss the first set 6-2, but damn she came into the game to almost win it. It was a great final

What a MATCH ! Serena is on such a roll. at 30+ years old :wow:

Vika is a for real Champion. and I will always root for her just off her effort and fight alone.

She shoulda been steam rolled but she fought and searched for something to stick to and she found Serena's weak forehand.

and she attacked.

Serena Dug deep too.

The UTMOST respect for serena and Vika.

those two are the epitome of Champions.

they are the reasons why I dont cant and refuse to root for Andy Roddick type players.

Vika actually served really well out there. In the past you could always count on her to throw in a double fault on the big points but the placement on her first serve was excellent and that was really the key for her in the second and third sets. She didn't have the aces but she had several unreturnable serves and several serves that forced Serena to hit an error. She could change rackets and use her lower body to generate more power but on the women's side, a solid serve devoid of a ton of double faults is way better than adding pace to her serve. Besides, Vika's strength is her consistency off the ground and not giving away matches with tons of unforced errors. Stosur has the second best serve on the women's game due to her kick serve. That thing jumps up and causes a ton of problems.

My girl Vika played better than people expected her to. Tough loss for her :frown:. You're up 5-3 in the last set and can't close it out. Serena dug deep and won the last 4 games.
Not even having one ace is pretty bad. Vika is a strong player, how difficult is it to add some mph on her serve? Can she get some better technique or is she just a naturally weak server? The second best server in the women's game would be Stosur right?
That's the one element missing from Vika's already world-class tennis game, a big first-serve. Her placement with the serve is also not elite. Allowed Serena to load up on her forehand returns in near perfect spots with low-to-moderate velocity.

I'd say behind Serena is Sam, Petrova, and Masha in terms of strong service games on the women's side.

Since the shoulder surgery Pova's serve has become as big a liability as it is a weapon. She may hit 8-9 aces but she'll throw in at least 10-12 double faults.

Last edited:
I missed the ladies final, but it looks like it was a good battle. Vika actually had a shot! Choked it up a bit at the end? Big-stage-pressure is tough!  She'll be back, no doubt. 

Can't wait for the men's final... 

Scrappy tennis by both guys right now.  11 unforced errors by Nole thus far. 2-2.

EDIT ~ Not anymore... Djo looking a lot more settled now. 

Last edited:
His shot-selection has been... 
eyes.gif

I missed the ladies final, but it looks like it was a good battle. Vika actually had a shot! Choked it up a bit at the end? Big-stage-pressure is tough!  She'll be back, no doubt. 

Can't wait for the men's final... 
Vika couldn't serve out with a 5-3 lead in the third set. Did the impossible and put herself in prime position to steal the U.S. Open from Serena. Serena had way too many unforced errors in the second and third sets. Lost a bit of bite and edge on her first-serve as well.

World-class first set on the men's side. That tiebreaker was epic and just about all we could ask for as tennis fans. Negative carryover for Nole in the second set giving up the early break to Muzz. I see this going five regardless.

Still some of the shot-selection has been 
eyes.gif

At times, both guys were so hesitant on coming in when they should have. Some of Murray's slices, his push-back-lob, stuff like that. And not to mention how Andy blew so many setpoints in the tiebreak.  Nole showed moments of brilliance towards the end of the 1st, but way too many errors and unable to win anything on his 2nd serve. 

The drama of it all is nuts though! 
laugh.gif

EDIT ~ Still, not to sound overly-critical of Murray, cuz both guys aren't playing particularly well. Murray's just handling it better. 

Last edited:
Not to make excuses, but I still think the wind is making both players question themselves a bit. Nole more than Murray. Slight hesitation or indecision can change the entire point or rally. Fortunate to witness multiple thirty shot rallies in the tiebreaker first set.

Djoker has a heart of a champion fighting back from the double break in the second set. I have a strong feeling Muzz gives Nole the second set 7-6 (or 7-5). Would usually never root for Novak, but I really want five sets and Andy winning the second doesn't bode well for that. Selfish, I know.

Kim and Jelena: I love you both.

Well, that was a tight game by Andy... wow.

EDIT ~ 4-0 to 5-5  No words. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom