Official 2012 US Open Thread ( Vol. Kimmy's Last Run)

I'm loving both guy's effort. Andy "you are not the father" Murray needs this win.

It's been an amazing US Open. Nice to see Murray about to win first Major. I've been wanting to see him breakthrough.

Vika had a rash on her right thigh yesterday, I wanted to rub ointment on it :evil:.

Congrats to Andy Murray. Well deserved and hard fought. Making history. Lendl partnership has paid huge dividends in Olympic Gold and the U.S. Open.

Hats off to Nole digging deep to even make it a five-setter.

2013 Slam Season will be extremely interesting with Fed back in form, Rafa recovering with "fresh" knees, Andy's first major tournament, and Nole still on top of his game. Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych right on the cusp of greatness from the outside looking in.

It's great that the top 4 guys have each won a major this year :smokin. It makes the sport even more interesting.

I'll comment more tomorrow... I'm beat. 
laugh.gif

BTW, Kim Sears is trending worldwide now... LOL

2012+US+Open+Day+15+hw6C3FEZTEGx.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone else think Murray kind of looks like a fusion of Beavis and Butthead? :nerd:

Muzz tore it up this summer man.  Major props to him on winning that first slam.

Both singles finals were amazing to watch. 

Used to not like Murray but after I saw how devastated he was by the Wimbledon loss it was hard to continue disliking him.

Props to him though, Wimbledon final, Olympic gold, and now the US Open.

Right now, I don't think there is any other sporting event more likely to deliver in an absolute classic than a Men's Grand Slam Final. 

It has to be said, it wasn't the best match in terms of quality-of-tennis, but in terms of excitement, 10/10.  

Anyway...

2012+US+Open+Day+15+JxuLutACRSox.jpg

2012+US+Open+Day+15+ypnNzvF56G0x.jpg

2012+US+Open+Day+15+B-DKScZlspdx.jpg

How about the job Mr. Lendl's done... 
smokin.gif

2012+US+Open+Day+15+yGoeoJerdlUx.jpg

2012+US+Open+Day+15+RUISc3MCU93x.jpg

2012+US+Open+Day+15+xJGcVIE3zYGx.jpg

2012+US+Open+Day+15+2-RJlKmb4klx.jpg

2012+US+Open+Day+15+mCFoKi89D7Ux.jpg

2012+US+Open+Day+15+kILUkB_nphLx.jpg

Awwww.

2012+US+Open+Day+15+w7dbw-HL4lAx.jpg

Thanks NYC... it's been fun.

2012+US+Open+Day+15+43UbXHoFDk7x.jpg

2012+US+Open+Day+15+twZTzuIUGyGx.jpg

Last edited:
Props again to Andy on the breakthrough victory for his first Slam Final. They say the first is always hardest. Murray should win a couple more. Didn't want to use the word many with Nole, Rafa, and Fed still around.

A healthy Rafa must defend his French in 2013 at Roland Garros. All other three major tournaments will be a dogfight between the top-4. Based on his training in recent years, general improvement on his tennis, and rise to the elite club of tennis, Nole is my early, early pick for 2013 Australian. Fed is fighting the clock on his "aging body." Would be huge for Andy to open 2013 with his second major, just don't see it. Rafa/Nole Final rematch of the 2012 Australian would be amazing.

Waits for someone to constructively mention that Andy didn't have to go through Rafa or Fed at the U.S. Open, or Rafa at the Olympics.

Now that the dust has settled, time to analyse the final.  

Not gonna take anything away from Andy, but I'm excited about seeing how he'd handle a healthy Rafa in a slam final!  

Anyway, like I mentioned before, the quality-of-tennis wasn't as good as it could have been.  The wind did make things tricky, but ultimately, both guys didn't play their best.  Too many unforced-errors (like a bunch of backhand-slices that went straight into the net by Andy or Nole hitting the ball long during no-pressure/mid-rally shots).  The shot-selection at certain points during the match could have also been better.  Both guys (during some of their LONG rallies) had good opportunities to approach the net but both were really reluctant to rush the net.  You could literally see Andy hesitate halfway up the service-line before backtracking to the baseline to continue the rally.  I'm sure Lendl wouldn't have like this and it'll probably be something they'll address during their debrief.  The good thing was that Lendl was brought in not only to tweak Andy's game (he needed to be way more aggressive), but also help him be mentally stronger (screaming at his box after a bad point was one of the things he worked on).  If anything, this summer-run will hopefully do wonders for his mental-toughness, cuz when he faces, say, a healthy Rafa, who is playing well in a GS final down the road, he'll need to have the strength to dig-deep to step-up his own game.  

Andy has definitely corrected the negative body language with Lendl. He's still demonstrative without being overly excessive.

I can't see Murray winning points against a Rafa with healthy knees. Forget about a clay surface. Even on hard courts, the defense. Improvement at the net. Improved serve. I'm really hoping Nadal can take two out of the four Slam Finals in 2013.

^
Do you think Novak still has an edge over Rafa? It sounded like a lot of people thought the delay at the French Open helped Nadal out a lot. I thought Novak would have a good chance at Wimbledon, the Olympics, and US Open since Nadal has been out but he couldn't get it done.

^
Do you think Novak still has an edge over Rafa? It sounded like a lot of people thought the delay at the French Open helped Nadal out a lot. I thought Novak would have a good chance at Wimbledon, the Olympics, and US Open since Nadal has been out but he couldn't get it done.
Unfortunately, yes. Starting with the 2011 U.S. Open. Despite Rafa's improvements at the net and with his serve, Djoker still frustrated the "Man from Mallorca." Four sets that Nole controlled from start to finish. Not typical given Nadal's elite defense. Watching the 2012 Australian Open, I believe it was the fourth or fifth set, but Rafa misplayed a point down the line and it was downhill from there. That was Nadal's Slam to win and "breakthrough" against Nole. I consider it a small victory for Djoker to even take Rafa to four sets at Roland Garros on his favored clay surface.

With healthy knees and fresh time to recover, 2013 is a huge Slam season for Rafa's career. Starting with the Australian. Nole is a slight favorite for me in Melbourne, but I'd love to see him face Nadal in the Men's Final. He (Rafa) has to defend the French with three elite tennis players challenging his crown at every major tournament. I see Nadal taking down the French and maybe Wimbledon or the U.S. Open to secure two major tournaments in the 2013 Slam season. Nole gets one (Australian). Murray (or Fed) get the other, Wimbledon or U.S. Open. I'm leaning towards Wimbledon.

Andy was able to keep his emotions in-check... but there were a couple of moments in the final where he did yell-out at his box... It seemed a bit petulant, so at the time I was afraid that old-Andy had returned! Glad he was able to regain his composure. 

As for Rafa vs. Nole vs Muzz... interesting scenario.

A healthy Rafa, on clay... no one's gonna beat him.  The only guy with a shot is Nole cuz of his court-coverage and defense.  Muzz has great court-coverage, but not near Rafa and Nole's level... not yet anyway. 

On a hard-court, it's gotta be Nole. Even considering this loss, assuming each guy plays at their optimum-level, Nole, for me, is still the best hard-court player right now. Muzz vs Rafa on a hard-court... with a healthy Rafa, I'd give the edge to him.  

Grass... Nole was a bit under the weather (I think) in his semis vs Fed, but not making any excuses for him. Fed was ridiculous in that semi as well against Muzz in the final.  He peaked when it counted, but in he earlier rounds, he didn't play that well. A bit inconsistent on that front, IMO.  The current generation of grass courts, which are slower, definitely favors the baseliners, which is why Rafa's been so successful there. Between Nole, Rafa and Andy... tough call. Probably Nole, again.  I didn't include Fed cuz he's a bit older and not really apart of the Nole/Rafa/Muzz "generation", with all 3 guys being 25/26 right now.

Good point about Fed because I still see him figuring into the Men's semis, even a Final appearance or two would be nice for his confidence. However, I think the trio of Rafa, Muzz, and Nole split all four Slams in 2013.

Could see Rafa vs. Nole in the Final for the Australian and French. Maybe Rafa vs. Muzz at Wimbledon. Muzz vs. Nole at the U.S. Open for an epic rematch.

Back
Top Bottom