OFFICIAL 2013 FANTASY FOOTBALL TALK

Starting up a free Niketalk league on Yahoo.

Anyone who wants in?

Essential stuff

1 PT PPR for rush attempt, completion, and reception.

Bonuses for Passing over 200,300 and 400 yards
Bonuses for Running over 100,150 and 175 yards
Bonuses for Receiving over 75,150 and 175 yards

6 points for every touchdown.

No IDP unless league wants it

Score stuff can obviously be talked about, as well as draft date. Snake draft

Last edited:

Anyone who wants in?

Essential stuff

how many teams?

Anyone who wants in?

Essential stuff

how many teams?

Hopefully 12 or 14.

Leaning towards 14.

anyone ever have the past pick in a 12 team league and win the league? if so, please tell me your draft strategy
2 years ago(2011) in the same league that im in this year, we used 14-teams. This girl was the #14 pick in the draft and won the league. Her record was 10-3.

This was her picks on draft day(2011):

1. Maurice Jones-Drew
2. Drew Brees
3. Frank Gore
4. Miles Austin
5. Jason Witten
6. Knowshon Moreno
7. A.J. Green
8. Jay Cutler
9. Neil Rackers
10. San Diego
11. Greg Little
12. Donald Brown
13. Steve Breaston
14. Emmanuel Sanders
15. Benjamin Watson

And this was her final roster at the end of the year:

Drew Brees
Miles Austin
Victor Cruz
Jacoby Ford
Brandon Gibson
Frank Gore
AJ Green
Maurice Jones-Drew
Jason Witten
Titus Young
Sebastian Janikowski
Neil Rackers
KC Defense
NO Defense
OAK Defense

As you can see, there are only 6 players left that she drafted, so yea drafting can make or break your season but you also need to have some kind of break in the season. 2011 was Victor Cruz coming out party and she was the first one on waivers and picked him up and her team just kept rolling through the season.

In the first two rounds, i would target guys that are what i called "bust-proof" and will eventually carry your team. First 7-8 rounds, build your core/starting rosters, then after that just draft for depth and potential sleepers.

I'm thinking about changing something in my league this year.

What's better, waivers resetting every week so that it goes from worse to best, or making it roll over every week?

What's better, waivers resetting every week so that it goes from worse to best, or making it roll over every week?
I've always been a fan of bidding on wavier players.

Last edited:
Fantasy Sports is actually my profession..... no, seriously, it is.

I work for CBSSports.com -  http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy    ....shameless plug.

I'm always interested in feedback... if you have any questions, just ask.

I'm typically in 2-3 leagues with co-workers, 2 with friends, and a few others at competitor sites just to see what they're doing over there...  I had to cut ties with my longest league because last season kids started to get tough and I'm not in the mood for it this year.

I like to set my leagues up with the following basics:
  • at least 12 teams
  • 4 points per QB TD / 6 points for everyone else
  • 1 point per 25 yards passing / 0.10 point per yard for everyone else
  • 0.25 points per QB 1st down / 1 point for everyone else
  • no point for receptions --- the reason for this is because of screen passes and receptions of a yard or 2 ... losing a game because the other team's WR caught a bubble screen for no yards, or their tailback actually losses yards on a screen bothers me... awarding points for 1st downs shows more production IMO.. a 1st down always results in a positive play, that can't be said for all receptions
  • bonuses at 400 passing yards / bonus at 150 rushing/receiving yards
  • 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST (I haven't been able to convince people to separate the Defense and Special Teams into individual units), 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE)
  • I personally like to award 6 points to the ST AND the individual returner (this gives some lower tier positional players added value)
  • limiting the # of add/drops per week (too many people like to do bogus add/drops just to prevent others from picking players up)
  • 90 second pick limit online - 3 minutes in person w/ a snake draft order
  • having a positional maximum for each roster -- 3 QB, 5 RB, 6 WR, 3 TE, 2 K, 2 DST, 1 FLEX

Last edited:

pros and cons for both...

the worst to best format helps out the teams that need it most, but if one of the better teams starts having injury problems late in the season with a decent lead in the standings, they're screwed -- no help is coming

Anyone who wants in?

Essential stuff

Franco, your league bonuses are too soon for QB and WR. Usually the league im in are QB bonus @ 300,350,400 and WR @100,150,200

The scoring would be too high. QBs throw for 200 like its nothing now. Hell, Sanchez has 200 yrd games. You shouldnt be getting bonus points for that.

And if you are doing a point for a completion usually you have a negative .5 for an incomplete. And ive never played where a carry is a point. How many points per week are your teams scoring usually. Or is this the first time you've created a league with scoring like this?

And Lamar Miller will have the better year between him and David Wilson.

Last edited:
I feel like both Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey are good "gets" this year. Trestman is a pass oriented coach, Cutler's in a contract year, Marshall's second year in the offense, etc.

I don't know what to think about Philip Rivers. May stash him on my roster if he's there in the late rounds in hope that he reclaims something from 2008-2010.

Marshall is always a top reciever especially the years he is paired with Cutler because Cutler has tunnel vision with him. But Alshon should defintely be a steal in the later rounds. Cutler looked for him a lot because hes tall and has good hands like Marshall but he was just injured a lot last year. I had him and was able to flip him off potential last season when he got hurt the first time, he just wasnt able to get back. So people will be hesitant to pick him up.

Last edited:
Bigger year, David Wilson or Lamar Miller?
Lamar Miller might ball out of control this season now that the Dolphins actually have an NFL WR...  the defense is also pretty solid so they could be running a lot of offense due to the fact that they're not being blown out and trying to air out come backs...

pros and cons for both...

the worst to best format helps out the teams that need it most, but if one of the better teams starts having injury problems late in the season with a decent lead in the standings, they're screwed -- no help is coming
i like blind bids. everyone starts the year with 1000 bucks in fa money. you should not be punished every week if you are the top 2 3 teams in your league.

Why do you say that? Just interested because it looks like I will be in a similar postion.

I play in a 2 QB league so in my league QB's go in the first round every year.

But regardless even in standard 1 QB leagues, I like the luxury of picking B2B. I've mocked where I can, with the 10th pick, get McCoy, Richardson, Forte 2/3 combo and I like it a lot. Especially in PPR formats.

Then coming back I can snag a Peyton Manning and a Victor Cruz/Percy Harvin something like that. You got yourself a solid core.

I don't like picking a RB at pick 2-4 and having to wait...it really messes up your draft because you no longer pick for need you start picking based on what has happened.

Franco, your league bonuses are too soon for QB and WR. Usually the league im in are QB bonus @ 300,350,400 and WR @100,150,200

The scoring would be too high. QBs throw for 200 like its nothing now. Hell, Sanchez has 200 yrd games. You shouldnt be getting bonus points for that.

And if you are doing a point for a completion usually you have a negative .5 for an incomplete. And ive never played where a carry is a point. How many points per week are your teams scoring usually. Or is this the first time you've created a league with scoring like this?

And Lamar Miller will have the better year between him and David Wilson.

I am going to heighten the bonuses, just did quickly. I will most likely change completions to .5 to balance it out. I only play PPR that's why a carry and reception are both one point. Probably around 150pts which is not a lot.

Last edited:
Lamar Miller might ball out of control this season now that the Dolphins actually have an NFL WR...  the defense is also pretty solid so they could be running a lot of offense due to the fact that they're not being blown out and trying to air out come backs...
i like lamar miller also.  his value is going up now cause a month ago you could grab him at the end of the 4th round or beginning of the 5th in 12 or 14 team leagues. now i see him going end of the 3erd. so the risk of over paying now comes into play. at least he should be an every down back. wilson better not fumble because he was in the doghouse for that once and brown is ready to come in for him. brown will also take some goal line carries away from wilson.

i like blind bids. everyone starts the year with 1000 bucks in fa money. you should not be punished every week if you are the top 2 3 teams in your league.
I prefer bidding also (we call it FAAB on our site) but there's also a REALLY BIG con in that.... teams are unable to pick up free agents on game day because no cycle has run, at least that's how it works on CBS...

so if it's 7:45pm on Monday and you find out that Matt Forte is out with food poison you're screwed if your back-ups are hurt, on a BYE week, or have already played on Thurs/Sun .... you can't pick up that last minute hole filler because the system isn't going to start processing bids until Monday night ...

Bigger year, David Wilson or Lamar Miller?

Wilson simply because he showed over the last 8 games of the season last year how explosive and dynamic he can be. And that was without Hakeem and Cruz healthy at the same time, thus resulting in less distractions for defenses.

He's working on his pass catching and he's as fast as any RB in the league.

Miller said this to CBS Sports - "My goal is 1,500 (yards)," Miller said. "We have great offensive linemen, so hopefully we can get the job done. I'm aiming for 1,500."

Lofty goals for a guy in the spotlight for the first time.

Miller only had 51 carries last season, he's now gonna be relied on to run 240+ times...risky. He has the speed and the quickness, he could be really good but it's a little risky. Sample size is even smaller then Wilson's.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll acknowledged Thursday that Percy Harvin may need surgery to repair the tear in his hip labrum.

Harvin is scheduled for a second opinion next week, but the early signs appear grim. The second opinion, in all likelihood, will confirm Harvin's need for surgery. Carroll is typically pretty vague on injury situations, but he was revealing in this case and we don't take that as a good sign. Should Harvin miss regular season time -- and that's now a very real possibility -- the Seahawks' three-receiver set would be Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, and Doug Baldwin.

Back
Top Bottom