OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

And his recruiting base is much smaller now that Ole Miss is back good.

He should definitely jump ship now. His stock is probably as high as it will ever get in Starkville
Mullen's a northeastern guy. It's actually surprising he lasted as long in the SEC as he did for a couple of reasons.

I wanna see Iowa win out and have Notre Dame win out. And see if the committee has the balls to put them over Iowa. If they do it'll be utter ********.
What's Iowa's best win? In this scenario MSU? They'd be the only good win Iowa would have. In comparison, I'd leapfrog Notre Dame over them too.

Last edited:
What's Iowa's best win? In this scenario MSU? They'd be the only good win Iowa would have. In comparison, I'd leapfrog Notre Dame over them too.
Why? Notre Dame best win would come this week if they beat an inconsistent Stanford team. Iowa's best win would be over MSU or OSU.

Now that he's been officially fired, I have some thoughts on my alma mater's handling of the Scott Shafer situation.

Many wanted his head despite being a coach that graduated players and wanted the best for them off the field. He was a no nonsense guy and very old-school. Likeable for the most part from what I have read and from what I heard from people that I know that have met him. However, being likeable doesn't win you games and doesn't put butts in the seats.

I am torn on whether or not he should have returned for another season. Those that wanted him gone can cite his lack of awareness when it came to coaching, but when it comes down to it Doug Marrone really put the program in awful shape for whoever would have been the next coach. In addition to raiding the entire staff on the way to the NFL, he was not a good recruiter. He had his success with Greg Robinson's players and Shafer's guys are already proving that while young, they have a ton of upside if they stay healthy. I'm already disgusted at the thought of Marrone being on that sideline again when I read potential targets. The school isn't in the position to do so, but they need to distance themselves as much as they can from him.

What really hurt Shafer at the end of the day was the fact that he wasn't a new hire. He was a transition coach from Marrone's staff so in all, he's been on the Hill for seven years. SU fans think that because he had been here previously that he should have had no problem maintaining the state of the program and should have maintained what Doug did. It is pretty hard to do the latter when you have nothing to work with in terms of talent and assistants. I will agree that he didn't make the best hiring decisions, but he wasn't left with much of a choice when Daryl Gross sacrificed the football program to spend millions on non-revenue sports. He might have stood a chance if the university wasn't notoriously cheap when it comes to football. That is something that will have to change if they want to attract someone to lead this program for the next few years. What they do here is going to show the people what Chancellor Syverud truly thinks of the football program.

I think that if Cuse was going into this game 4-7 (the loss against UVA :smh: ) and they win Saturday to end the year 5-7, it would have been enough to bring him back to see what he could have done with the talent next year. Three years just isn't enough time to right the ship and with the microwave mentality people have, there is little room for error because everyone is calling for your head. Going off of that, SU fans have a false sense of what this program really is. Cuse is a small, private school in the middle of Central New York in one of the poorest cities in the country. In addition to the ****** weather where it can snow into May, there is not much incentive for athletes to come here. We're going to be a six, seven and eight win team every now and then. Unless something radically happens, SU isn't competing for a spot in the College Football Playoff. We're going to get two stars and three stars and just have to hope that they turn into something as it can be done. Ryan Nassib, Arthur Jones, Chandler Jones, Shamarko Thomas and Justin Pugh are just some of the guys who weren't highly regarded but made something of themselves, eventually got drafted and found success in the NFL.

Shafer leaves the next coach in a much better position than Marrone left him or whoever else would have been hired in his place. Shafer wasn't Coyle's guy so it was easier for him to relieve him of his duties and with the fans not coming to the Dome (as if they did when SU was successful), he had financial incentive to do so. Syracuse cannot blow the next hire. The program's reputation was steady in Pasqualoni's final years, but Greg Robinson made the Orange a national punchline. They have to bring in a name who has proven themselves elsewhere.

Last edited:
Some dude on local sports radio reported that VT hired Fuente last night, legit or nah?

Quote:

Why? Notre Dame best win would come this week if they beat an inconsistent Stanford team. Iowa's best win would be over MSU or OSU.
Not to mention they would have beaten the team that beat Stanford, pretty easy reasoning
But Notre Dame played the better schedule and even with 1 loss has looked like the better team. Aside from the Northwestern win (I'm not counting North Texas as a real team) Iowa hasn't looked like a dominant team all year.

You can't just do transitive analysis and say well northwestern beat Stanford and Iowa beat Northwestern therefore Iowa is better than (or would beat) Stanford. You have to look at how the teams are playing at the time, who's on the teams, the style of victory, etc etc.

If Iowa goes 13-0 and beats MSU they'll definitely get in just off principle. But I would have no problem with the committee leaving them out because after watching 2 1/2 Iowa games this year that team is unwatchable. That's my personal opinion. I also haven't thought they looked impressive in any way.

Last edited:
Why would a 2 loss Stanford get in?

Beat #6 ND

Beat ranked Pac12 opponent in conference championship

Oklahoma took a L to Texas... think about that

Stanford took a L to #17 Oregon (who is playing arguably the best football in the country right now and could end up in the Fiesta or Rose Bowl) and they also took a L to #16 Northwestern who only took a L to Michigan and Iowa.

Im confident Stanford would get in if they win out especially if they man handle ND

Mique Juarez and Jackie Jones taking official visits to SC. No dates set yet.

Also Nick Eubanks (a TE out of FL I'm not familiar with) has apparently been trying to figure out a visit date with staff.

Last edited:
Why would a 2 loss Stanford get in?

Beat #6 ND

Beat ranked Pac12 opponent in conference championship

Oklahoma took a L to Texas... think about that

Stanford took a L to #17 Oregon (who is playing arguably the best football in the country right now and could end up in the Fiesta or Rose Bowl) and they also took a L to #16 Northwestern who only took a L to Michigan and Iowa.

Im confident Stanford would get in if they win out especially if they man handle ND

No way. Stop gassing your conference, just accept that y'all are getting shut out of the playoff this year.

It's going to happen to 1 or 2 conferences every year. This year it's going to be you and possibly the Big 12 again if OU loses to Okie State.

Kyle Davis to Auburn
Hardman not feeling UGA anymore?
Hardman's going to Michigan 
nerd.gif

Tom Herman: Houston’s Tom Herman has removed his name from consideration at South Carolina according to Pat Forde. Sources tell us that Herman “seems intent” to stay put…unless Texas opens.

Illinois: HokieHaven is reporting that longtime Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster is a candidate for the head coaching job with the Illini.
 Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB  2h2 hours ago
SOURCE: #Alabama DC Kirby Smart emerging as a front runner for #SouthCarolina vacancy: http://foxs.pt/1OgwiRN 

Some dude on local sports radio reported that VT hired Fuente last night, legit or nah?

He is the most likely guy but nothing has been inked yet. Herman is still in play for us (please Lord Baby Jesus let us get Herman instead)

This seems like one of those years where there aren't that many great teams. Bama looks like the best and Clemson looks legit and hasn't lost, but after that it's a bunch of ehhh teams to me. ND almost lost to UVA and barely beat BC. Michigan St hasn't really looked impressive in most of their wins, nor has Iowa. MSU only beat Michigan because of one of the flukiest plays of all time. Oklahoma has looked like the 3rd best team except for that Texas abomination.

I think if Russell never went down, Baylor would be right there.

No way. Stop gassing your conference, just accept that y'all are getting shut out of the playoff this year.

It's going to happen to 1 or 2 conferences every year. This year it's going to be you and possibly the Big 12 again if OU loses to Okie State.

not gassing the Pac 12 at all I could careless

if its not Oregon in final 4 then I just wanna see 2 good games with the 4 best teams on the field and if Stanford wins out I feel they deserve to be in

but the beautiful thing about this is it will all be played out :wink:

Would much rather have Herman too, but it's looking like a longshot at this point to keep it real. If we don't hire Bud as HC we need a new DC too 
mean.gif

Herman hasn't officially interviewed or visited anywhere. I don't get how any news outlet is reporting anything definitive for him either way. He was never going to decide on or visit SCar USC or VT until after the conference championship.

Where VTech DC going?
Possibly Illinois. Bud has had multiple chances to leave for a HC position but he's stayed put with tech because he's always wanted to eventually take over the program as HC. He's made it known to our AD Jim Weaver that he wants to be promoted as HC after this season. I don't think he's just going to sit back and stay as our DC if we hire someone else.

Back
Top Bottom