Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

Offering Jacobs 75-25 is basically saying we don't care if this fight gets made or not.

I'd think he'd look for minimum 2 mil since Brook got 5 mil, which puts GGG at 6 mil at a 75/25 split, which puts the total price at 8 mil for a regular HBO or PBC fight which probably ain't happening. If that fight doesn't get made because of that ******** 75/25 split nobody should be pointing their fingers at Jacobs.

75/25 is the standard for a super/regular championship bout. Team Jacobs is not in the position to make such demands for a 60/40 AND and interim bout. He's not the biggest fish left in the pond to be caught. Take the 75/25 plus the *** whooping he's about to get and be on your way.
Jacobs can make that much or almost that much fighting Saunders or Eubanks Jr. in the UK or even Lemieux, plus he actually has much higher chance of winning those fights. He'd rather do that than to face GGG and get KTFO.

Yup. Unless Golovkin and his team are willing to budge he's not getting this fight, it's just common sense. If they stick to 75/25 it's as good as saying they couldn't care less if the fight gets made.

He's already turned down 3M or at least something close to it.  He's on record for that. He's probably looking for something ridiculous.

http://www.boxingscene.com/jacobs-ill-fight-golovkin-canelo-right-money--108136

Around 3M to fight in your backyard is more than fair.  Especially when you have no belt, and your last fight was the walkout bout for a Robert Easter fight. 

3 mil is fair. But with this 75/25 split, even if he got negotiated down and agreed to 3 mil, that means 9 mil to GGG and 12 mil overall which ain't happening. I don't see any way it get's made unless they throw that 75/25 bs out the window.

3 mil is fair. But with this 75/25 split, even if he got negotiated down and agreed to 3 mil, that means 9 mil to GGG and 12 mil overall which ain't happening. I don't see any way it get's made unless they throw that 75/25 bs out the window.
3M was probably a flat offer with GGG getting the rest.  I'm sure K2 doesn't expect this fight to be worthy of a 12M purse to split between the two.

J from BK (There's Only One) [via mobile]

Danimal, is Bud Crawford done for 2016?

Dan Rafael, King Fight Freak   (12:37 PM)

Yes. Supposedly, there is an effort to get him an HBO date in January.

Last edited:
am i the only one here that thinks kovalev will beat ward?
No, I'm still picking him by mid RD stoppage. 
 Eddie Hearn ‏@EddieHearn  20h20 hours ago
Delighted to welcome Luis @kingkongboxing Ortiz to the @MatchroomBoxing team! His next fight will be in November and announced on Monday! [emoji]128165[/emoji]

Last edited:
I'm going with Kovalev too. As great as Andre Ward is I have doubts that he can defend himself well enough, be able to absorb Kovalev's punches, and put together enough offense for 12 rounds.

Is it possible that Ortiz is the one who is fighting Wlad next?  That's a step too far at this point for AJ, unless Wlad is completely washed. 

Ortiz vs Malik Scott was made official for Nov 12th. Maybe next year. I'm rolling with Kovalev in November. 60/40 is the MOST I'd offer Jacobs team. Back when Golovkin was on the rise and wanted these fights they gave him the run around. Quillin and Jacobs both on record saying Golovkin hasn't fought anyone and doesn't bring in the money or viewers. Now he's must see tv. The tables have turned and the excuses are running thin.

Steve Kim ‏@steveucnlive  7m7 minutes ago
It would be nice if Al Haymon would return call or at least talk to those trying to make a certain fight in December #boxing
Welp

I'm going with Kovalev too. As great as Andre Ward is I have doubts that he can defend himself well enough, be able to absorb Kovalev's punches, and put together enough offense for 12 rounds.

This is the most intriguing part of the fight, if Ward has a chin and body that can sustain the punishment Kovalev deals out, this will make for a great fight. Bc to this point no one and I mean no one has been able to stand it and launch a respectable offense. Bhop did but couldnt deliver the offense to keep him at bay

I think Ward wins in damn near a shut out

I highly doubt this. Ward is no KO artist in this weight class and he doesnt dance and potshot like Mayweather there will be more infighting then I think people are willing to accept

Kovalev is somewhat an aggressive dirty fighter. Ward clinching ain't gonna stop him imo

Ward will clinch only to disrupt Kovalev's rhythm or if he finds himself in trouble or in a bad range location. IF ward can weather first four rounds and get Kovalev's respect this will be a great fight.

Joshua although newer to the division packs the reward that Kong does not. Sad to say but as far as fans go I'd say right now that Joshua might be a bigger name then Wilder with his following in the UK.

I need Klitschko to retire honestly, that last Fury fight was literally a joke. More hugging in that fight then Wards last 3 fights combined.

HW division has great matchups that can be made, just have to play this dumb patience game

Kovalev is gonna walk thru every punch ward lands in the fight. Ward looks pretty feather fisted at 175 and after I can't see kovalev having to respect ward after seeing him walk thru the Bombs pascal hit him with in their first fight

Kovalev is gonna walk thru every punch ward lands in the fight. Ward looks pretty feather fisted at 175 and after I can't see kovalev having to respect ward after seeing him walk thru the Bombs pascal hit him with in their first fight

The problem with comparing that fight to this is the fact that Pascal is really just another Nonito Donaire one handed dominant fighter that wont surprise you with a punch coming because he only has one punch. Not to mention you really dont have to go far to find Pascal bc his defense is nowhere near that of Ward's

If Pascal fights Ward he doesnt stand a chance.

Many called floyd feather fisted later in his career (not because of the injury to his hands) but even knowing this your biggest brawlers no better then to walk-in recklessly with an elite counter puncher.

I think Ward will earn Sergeys respect and will show the ability to take a big shot the one time he gets hit. The best part about this fight is that neither has lost in there careers and we can honestly say that the other is the best that the other has seen

I'll be in Vegas the week prior to place my bet.

Has anyone seen the lines for this fight?

There is an element that people might be overlooking that could play a big role in Ward's success. He can fight a variety of styles and he is equally effective whether it is SouthPaw, come forward, counterpunching, etc. This is something that you do not see in Rigondeaux and Mayweather. Ward's plan is probably giving Kovalev a lot of different looks but his bread and butter will be inside fighting, that's where Kovalev is going to be the least dangerous. But even if Ward manages to frustrate Kovalev, he isn't some headhunter. Kovalev manages to focus and pull himself together somehow, he will attack no matter what whether it's to the neck, shoulder, ribs, just anywhere.

Another thing to consider is that Hopkin's went into survival mode as soon as he tasted Kovalev's power. From that point on his only objective was to hear the final bell. Ward can't just look to survive he will need some output.Hopkin's most underrated attribute is probably his chin and punch resistance. I don't think Ward has the same type of chin.

Last edited:
There is an element that people might be overlooking that could play a big role in Ward's success. He can fight a variety of styles and he is equally effective whether it is SouthPaw, come forward, counterpunching, etc. This is something that you do not see in Rigondeaux and Mayweather. Ward's plan is probably giving Kovalev a lot of different looks but his bread and butter will be inside fighting, that's where Kovalev is going to be the least dangerous. But even if Ward manages to frustrate Kovalev, he isn't some headhunter. Kovalev manages to focus and pull himself together somehow, he will attack no matter what whether it's to the neck, shoulder, ribs, just anywhere.

Another thing to consider is that Hopkin's went into survival mode as soon as he tasted Kovalev's power. From that point on his only objective was to hear the final bell. Ward can't just look to survive he will need some output.Hopkin's most underrated attribute is probably his chin and punch resistance. I don't think Ward has the same type of chin.
I agree with everything. Lets also not forget that b-hop is still pushing 50 and was able to survive. 15 years younger and b-hop is a different fighter. That would be fun to watch.

Ward will get hit and thats when we will c the type of champ he is.

Also note bhop respectsward alot and does not want that fight. He has said it.

All your points tho. Repped

Joshua will get him PAID. Wlad could see Joshua as being green and possibly capitalize on some mistakes. Ortiz wouldn't be as lucrative and the style matchup between the two isn't the most exciting.

Joshua washes wlad at this point tho. Regardless of how green he is. Wlad biggest weapon is his jab and at this point its not what it used to be. Joshua to fluid and would handle him. Id actually like see wilder and Joshua honestly.

Lots of good fights to be made. Just hope we see them soon

man all this talk got my hype for ward vs kovalev.

If Ward comes out in good shape and focused i think he takes it 12 UD. I haven't really followed Wards career like that but i agree that the fight will be made on if he can take Kovalev's shots. If he can maintain punch output while getting hit he will win. But that Kovalev power is no joke. I am very intrigued by the match up

Back
Top Bottom