OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

^ This is what Saban and Riley complained about.

Mims may have signed an NIL deal with a pro FSU group. That group then leaks the deal even though Mims hasn't in fact publicly committed to go to the school. Which means the deal was probably contractually binding for him to go to FSU, which is illegal. He (potentially) also took his FSU trip with an agent to negotiate the deal.

Saban and Riley are annoyed about things like that because Bama and USC aren't going to risk circumventing the rules to that far an extent. They also don't have to. More desperate programs like Tennessee, FSU, Nebraska, etc. have been because they're hungry and feel they have to.

Last edited:

Mims may have signed an NIL deal with a pro FSU group. That group then leaks the deal even though Mims hasn't in fact publicly committed to go to the school. Which means the deal was probably contractually binding for him to go to FSU, which is illegal. He (potentially) also took his FSU trip with an agent to negotiate the deal.

Saban and Riley are annoyed about things like that because Bama and USC aren't going to risk circumventing the rules to that far an extent. They also don't have to. More desperate programs like Tennessee, FSU, Nebraska, etc. have been because they're hungry and feel they have to.

😂😂😂

Now that’s impressive

Don’t turn an ankle hopping off of that horse

😂😂😂

Now that’s impressive

Don’t turn an ankle hopping off of that horse
:lol: that's not a shot at FSU.

After the Travis Hunter L and all the buzz and talk of Miami coming in, FSU isn't trying to hear that **** anymore. They have lobbyists literally trying to change state laws to help them sign more kids. They're not hungry?

Tennessee just stole Nico by giving him first round pick money. And he's only played football for like 1.5 seasons. That's not desperate?

Compared to Bama who can and does pay kids but also don't have to bend the rules as blatantly because they can point to rings and nfl draft picks. USC offered Ricks and Gibbs more in NIL but they're one and dones and know Bama will get them drafted high. Bama literally didn't offer Ricks til the day before NSD. They don't HAVE to cheat as blatantly.

USC compliance won't let USC do a collective even though Cali laws are laxer than elsewhere, but Riley also has a longer runway than those other coaches so he doesn't have to press as much early on. Obviously we're paying kids. I told y'all that Dre and Jimmy Iovine had been hanging around, and then magically Caleb Williams announces a Beats/Apple deal and signs with SC? Duh.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 12.49.41 PM.png

:lol: Some of these message board mods and staff have lost their damned minds.

The number was supposedly $30,000,000 for the entire class last year. Now we're talking about A&M stretching upwards of $2,000,000 for a running back based on what you've heard from "people down in Texas"? :lol: :lol:

Price of poker doubled in one offseason?

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 12.49.41 PM.png

:lol: Some of these message board mods and staff have lost their damned minds.

The number was supposedly $30,000,000 for the entire class last year. Now we're talking about A&M stretching upwards of $2,000,000 for a running back based on what you've heard from "people down in Texas"? :lol: :lol:

Price of poker doubled in one offseason?
Which kid?

Reuben Owens

Longtime Longhorn lean that now they're all freaking out about again because A&M, unsurprisingly, is picking up momentum.

:lol: that's not a shot at FSU.

After the Travis Hunter L and all the buzz and talk of Miami coming in, FSU isn't trying to hear that **** anymore. They have lobbyists literally trying to change state laws to help them sign more kids. They're not hungry?

Tennessee just stole Nico by giving him first round pick money. And he's only played football for like 1.5 seasons. That's not desperate?

Oh nah, I wasn't taking it as a shot. I was talking about this part:
“USC and Bama are above certain things to recruit talent”

:lol:

Right.

:rofl:

Like come on now my brother. We all know how the sausage is made in recruiting.

I will say that FSU isn't the only school that is lobbying for a reform in the NIL laws in the state. All interested parties are and they have been trying to get that changed for a while now.

They had large NIL deals lined up for Trav, but nobody was beating that deal he got + the ability to play for Prime. They weren't the only school that got outbid for him

Last edited:
Recruiting is selling. If your brand and your alum network and business relationships allow you to better position NIL opportunities, WHY WOULDN'T YOU SELL IT?

Athletes are getting paid. If athletes at my school are getting paid more and have more opportunities/avenues to make money, you're damned right I'm talking about it.

Pay kids early. Pay them often. Elite kids cost elite dollars.

"Shouldn't talk about it or leveraging it in recruiting" is the I Don't Like It But I've Begrudgingly Accepted This Isn't Going Away stage of the Dabo Swinney old white man yelling at clouds NIL emotional ladder.

shutting-door-on-goodbye.gif

Recruiting is selling. If your brand and your alum network and business relationships allow you to better position NIL opportunities, WHY WOULDN'T YOU SELL IT?

Athletes are getting paid. If athletes at my school are getting paid more and have more opportunities/avenues to make money, you're damned right I'm talking about it.

Pay kids early. Pay them often. Elite kids cost elite dollars.

"Shouldn't talk about it or leveraging it in recruiting" is the I Don't Like It But I've Begrudgingly Accepted This Isn't Going Away stage of the Dabo Swinney old white man yelling at clouds NIL emotional ladder.
I think Saban's also trying to get ahead of the inevitable players' union issue that HAS to come if the NCAA doesn't legislate. What happens to the authoritarian HC when schools like Bama unionize? What happens to the NIL arms race that's going on right now? Salary caps? Salary minimums?

Disclaimer: I'm pro-union. There absolutely should be a minimum.

Last edited:

Man I had such high hopes for him coming out of HS. I hope he can latch on somewhere and put up some numbers

His HS tape is still some of the craziest HS WR film you’re going to see

NIL money is going to the micro-transactions for EA's college football game.

1000%. You know EA is going to milk gamers for every dime. You're going to have the option to either grind in recruiting for hours to get a five-star QB or you can just pay $5 real world dollars and that will be the nil payment that makes him sign with your school.

This wasn’t the kid that went from unranked to 4 star right before signing day was it?

Yup, was a track kid who was hurt in prior years but had that ridiculous sr year that shot him up boards

He was very raw and unfortunately I don’t think he ever had the QB play or WR coaching to properly develop him

It sounds like the USC x B1G stuff was legit, but it’s more so the B1G reaching out to SC ahead of their new TV deal and SC being intrigued and showing interesting. Some power people in the Big 10 are pushing to add them.

It sounds like the USC x B1G stuff was legit, but it’s more so the B1G reaching out to SC ahead of their new TV deal and SC being intrigued and showing interesting. Some power people in the Big 10 are pushing to add them.

Kevin Warren will f*ck that up somehow

I'm sure monetarily it would make perfect sense for all sides, but that would be kinda weird to see. Like USC vs Indiana

They should go after the Cal-4 or at least Oregon if USC comes. I was listening to a podcast the other day and apparently they were in talks with Texas/Oklahoma a while back (before the SEC obviously) and wouldn’t take Oklahoma because of the dumb AAU situation. What a horrid reason not to take a school :smh: but hey, we got Rutgers and Maryland! :lol:

Anyway, ESPN released their FPI rankings

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

They should go after the Cal-4 or at least Oregon if USC comes. I was listening to a podcast the other day and apparently they were in talks with Texas/Oklahoma a while back (before the SEC obviously) and wouldn’t take Oklahoma because of the dumb AAU situation. What a horrid reason not to take a school :smh: but hey, we got Rutgers and Maryland! :lol:

Anyway, ESPN released their FPI rankings

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi
Pac 10 was in talks with Texas and Oklahoma (and I think A&M? N41D N41D ) too. They've been jockeying for a move for a while. I still wonder why the Big 12 seemed so blindsided when they nearly dissolved during the last realignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom