Official BBQ thread

Is there any idea what runs and BBQ sauce franklins uses? I highly doubt it but it would be the only way I could try it lol Texas to far for me.

His bbq sauces are now at a texas grocery store called HEB. You Can cop online.

Last edited:
That's crazy. Is it that good to warrant a line? I mean, there has to be other bbq joints out there that taste just as good without the hype right?

Side note, ended up buying some Oklahoma Joe's for lunch today :smokin

Franklin's Brisket is definitely fire, but super duper hyped. I refuse to stand in line for it. Their other meats are just okay tbh, and i actually prefer La Barbecue. Living in austin, i would recommend going out to lockhart for smittys, kreuz, and black's. i can't remember which restaurant does this, but one of those places doesn't provide silverware lol. There's a black's near the UT campus now too.

Also, I know this is a very unpopular opinion, but i actually like this chain in Texas called Rudy's BBQ. I think they are all-around decent (including sides), and its usually attached to a gas station so that's a plus lol.

Last edited:
Never had anything from franklins because of the dam line :lol:
Id rather smoke my own food and drink the whole time.
Same here I smoke all my own food and it turns out a lot better than any places by me. I watched that video and figured I'd try there rub and sauce see if it's that great lol.

here is a link to a show aaron franklin did for pbs...he has some pretty good tips on various ways of cooking...crazy he made all of his bbq pits at the restaurant...

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-episodes/

my wife and i waited about 2 1/2 hours at franklins and didn't get any food...they have a waiter/waitress that walks around and gets peoples orders before they open. she stopped 2 people ahead of me and said that the only thing they will have left is sausage...we were pretty disappointed...one day though hopefully we'll be blessed to grab a plate...

here is a link to a show aaron franklin did for pbs...he has some pretty good tips on various ways of cooking...crazy he made all of his bbq pits at the restaurant...

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-episodes/

my wife and i waited about 2 1/2 hours at franklins and didn't get any food...they have a waiter/waitress that walks around and gets peoples orders before they open. she stopped 2 people ahead of me and said that the only thing they will have left is sausage...we were pretty disappointed...one day though hopefully we'll be blessed to grab a plate...

Oh hell nawl i woulda been pissed. Smh at some all we got is sausage. Foh.

I saw that pbs thing on youtube a while back, hes definitely holdin back on some secrets tho.

Speaking of commercial sauces and rubs, I need to check out Youtube Malcolm's Killer Hogs stuff

Last edited:
Speaking of commercial sauces and rubs, I need to check out Youtube Malcolm's Killer Hogs stuff

His stuff is coo, but if you havent tried meat church.....try that. Rubs are legit, havent tried the injections. These 2 are actually the only commercial rubs ive tried. Been wantin to try pork-u and lanes.

Malcom had a good *** youtube tho.

Last edited:

His stuff is coo, but if you havent tried meat church.....try that. Rubs are legit, havent tried the injections. These 2 are actually the only commercial rubs ive tried. Been wantin to try pork-u and lanes.

Malcom had a good *** youtube tho.
Damn they got a selection, Gonna have to try a variety pack

That gospel is the new one, owner on the gram been sayim its the best one hes ever made. The honey hog, hot honey hog, and holy cow and bacon rub are the ones ive tried.

I use my own rubs but when im bein lazy or short on supply/time those are my go-to.

Last edited:
I used 1 cup water 1 cup soy sauce and 2 cups wochesitser or however you spell it lol sauce. Then couple table spoons of onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, sugar, sea salt, and some BBQ rub. gonna let it sit for 18 hrs then smoke at 150-175 for 6-7 hours with apple wood.

I used 1 cup water 1 cup soy sauce and 2 cups wochesitser or however you spell it lol sauce. Then couple table spoons of onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, sugar, sea salt, and some BBQ rub. gonna let it sit for 18 hrs then smoke at 150-175 for 6-7 hours with apple wood.

that sounds good man

you use flank as your cut?

I couldn't find flank at the grocery store but top round was on sale so I bought that had the butcher cut it thinner.

When will you give us some step-by-step instructions on how to prepare/cook chicken?  Been asking for a minute, but you never help us out :smh: .

Soak chicken in vinegar for 20 mins

Trim excess fat/skin from chicken

Season with my base seasoning (Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Cumin, Ceyenne)

Cook

Add whichever sauce I am feeling at the moment

What's the heat level you cook em at? Charcoal under or away? How long do u cook em for the crispiness
I usually have some wood chunks in my grill.

I cook the chicken with indirect heat.

Not sure how long, a few hours to get some good smokes.

Then I finish it on direct heat to get the crispiness.

Dc I'm gonna try your method next time I grab some chicken.

Tonight I gotta 2inch thick ribeye to prep.ill post pics later.

Had my first failure on Friday in all my years of making bbq sauce
Couldn't taste past the molasses, not sure where I went wrong and have spiraled into deep depression

Or, I'll mastering vinegar sauce now

Makin sauce for me is hard. Ive tried a handful of times and i gave up a looooooooooong time ago

I stick to one or two brands and then tweak it a lil bit.

Depends on the type of meat you are chicken.

White meat takes longer.

I always cook dark meat.

Drums and Thighs

Usually about 375 for about 1:45

Timing was on point :pimp:. The chicken separated from the bone easily, which is what I was looking for. Didn't have an oven rack, so I just baked the chicken wrapped in tinfoil and used Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy sauce. I'll pick up an oven rack and try that next time.

Back
Top Bottom