Official BBQ thread

Thing about barbacoa is that you have to trim the cheeks real good or else it will be kind of tough. Salt and pepper goes a long way on them.

Anyone know where I can pick up one of those on top of the stove grills for like seafood or thin meats? its like a grate on top of something.

Got a bigger Traeger smoker a few weeks ago and going to finally put it to work tomorrow for Superbowl.

1 Traeger for pork ribs the other Traeger for prime ribs. Have a small inside grill for Korean short ribs and Hot Pot for meat/seafood

Also, frying up some wings and Pork stuffed wings, egg rolls, burgers, oysters, a bunch of other Vietnamese food too lazy to list

Yes there will be a lot of people over here. Last year we didn't have enough food lol

But yea, Go Falcons

Completely blew it with my sad attempt at barbacoa. Got much to much to learn about low and slow cooking

Just got a new thermometer - someone lost a piece from my old one and I wanted one which can do remote reading of the meat and the grill temp. This ones looks like it will do the job.

View media item 2333596

Anyone try the thermoworks? All their stuff is expensive but ive been seeing a lot of people use them.

Anyone try the thermoworks? All their stuff is expensive but ive been seeing a lot of people use them.
everybody ive talked to that has one loves the thermoworks smoke and not too bad for atound 100$, considering i spent 3 times that on a flame boss. The one thing everyone with a bbq should have is a thermapen. They r pricey but absolutely worth it

everybody ive talked to that has one loves the thermoworks smoke and not too bad for atound 100$, considering i spent 3 times that on a flame boss. The one thing everyone with a bbq should have is a thermapen. They r pricey but absolutely worth it

I have one similar to that. It's a different brand but works well.

Ive been using a digital probe maverick, green egg probes, and some handheld one that looks like a tire gauge but that one sucks. I just cant get myself to cough up 100 for a thermometer.

Need one with similar accuracy and speed.

Last edited:
looks good mane 
pimp.gif

Doing some salmon this weekend

Put some steaks on the grill yesterday and got a good medium but I'm not getting a hot enough sear on em. I might have to get some better coals  cause the only way I can get some high heat is if I use a bunch of coal and I didn't need that much for 3 steaks

Put some steaks on the grill yesterday and got a good medium but I'm not getting a hot enough sear on em. I might have to get some better coals  cause the only way I can get some high heat is if I use a bunch of coal and I didn't need that much for 3 steaks
use hard lump charcoal and not briquettes. Also you can always reverse sear.

That is difficult - you do need more charcoal than it feels you should for a small amount of steaks.

A reverse sear would work - I've had good results from that. That way you can get a good sear on the outside while the coals are hot then move them away from the heat until the internal temp is what you want.

The other one I like the look of is finishing on your chimney starter - that's raging hot so only takes a minute or so a side. I've got a little round grill I'm going to try that with. You do need some more charcoal though - but probably only a few briquettes and some paper as it doesn't need to be hot for long.

Right now I'm trying out my new charcoal basket and digital thermometer. Looks good so far. I mostly filled the basket and then put half a chimney of lit coals on it. Fairly even across the smoker rack at the moment - maybe 10° cooler on the far side so I'll close my baffles up a bit. Got the max and min set on the thermometer which is cool - heard it beep from the end of my yard.

I'm hoping this method will give me 4 hours or so with little tending.

View media item 2337821
The smell is making me hungry but I've got nothing to put in there!

use hard lump charcoal and not briquettes. Also you can always reverse sear.
Been trying to avoid a reverse sear. It feels to artificial. I'll end up getting some of the better coal to start just don't know when
That is difficult - you do need more charcoal than it feels you should for a small amount of steaks.

A reverse sear would work - I've had good results from that. That way you can get a good sear on the outside while the coals are hot then move them away from the heat until the internal temp is what you want.

The other one I like the look of is finishing on your chimney starter - that's raging hot so only takes a minute or so a side. I've got a little round grill I'm going to try that with. You do need some more charcoal though - but probably only a few briquettes and some paper as it doesn't need to be hot for long.

Also working on the chimney starter idea too. Not prioritizing my grilling equipment is coming back to haunt me. I'm only consistent with my ribs and burgers but that's only cause I know I'll need to load up my grill with a bunch of coal. On these small batches and longer jobs I fall flat

I will often pride myself in using JUST enough sometimes. Makes me feel like a pro lol but true, better safe than sorry

That steak got a nice *** crust!!

Once you do a reverse sear, youll always want to do it that way trust me. Really worth the work.

If you have a cast iron pan, get it super hot with some butter garlic and rosemary and sear it on there while you 'baste' it with the butter stuff.

I do all my steaks now with the reverse sear method. I sous vide then sear them off on bbq or ci pan. Perfect steaks every time.

Back
Top Bottom