Official Childish Gambino (Donald Glover from Community) Thread - Signs multiyear deal w/ Amazon and opts out of FX partnership

I REALLY don't know what to think about this album... seems like I go back and forth on it every day. That Conan performance was ehh, dude seemed corny on stage although the semi-live band was nice. Pitchfork review was right about a few of those lines, though, I never realized how weak his human centipede/Virginia Tech lines were until I stopped and thought about it. I still like what he is trying to say, though. This album is very expressive, and I'd rather hear this sort of content than another tired crack/women/cash/guns album.

Originally Posted by Tupack Shaker

I guess that pitchfork review bodied this thread.
I guess. One opinion doesn't sway people from liking Glover or hating him. But with the album out, no new singles or videos, not much to discuss. Plus with DipsetGeneral bumping threads with Bow Wow's latest video, for example, a smaller one like this dies off.
As a fan of Gambino, or any artist for that matter, I don't support 100% of what he does or says. I can't think of anyone that is like that for me. He could probably talk about his issues with his own blackness less, but I don't think it's that different than any other rapper rehashing "their thing" over and over again. I don't listen to him to hear the next great MC, I listen because I like the beats, I think he's funny, clever word play (those few awful lines in the article aside), and I support his other pursuits. The thing to remember is he's not just a rapper, he's an actor with a TV show, a writer, a comedian, so I don't mind as much if he's weaker in certain areas compared to others.

This is still his true "debut" so we'll see if he can expand his subject matter on future records, I think he will, or at least I hope.

Pitchfork is just another opinion though and it's not like they're renowned for their critical reviews on music let alone hip hop so there's not credibility attached to whoever wrote that.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Pitchfork is just another opinion though and it's not like they're renowned for their critical reviews on music let alone hip hop so there's not credibility attached to whoever wrote that.
Not a diss but... if that's not what they're known for, what are they known for? Pitchfork has a reputation for being indie-leaning (although their incessant coverage of Drake, Waka Flocka, and Lil Wayne would have you think otherwise) but their reviews tend to be pretty well-written and balanced.
You're right though, it is just an opinion. I don't agree with everything they write and, really, all reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Metacritic has Camp at around 70% last I checked so not everyone feels this way about the album.

Originally Posted by zmdawg

Originally Posted by heelish

All the talent in the world, but he uses it to rap about the corniest things ever. Talking about "being" white & not being accepted by blacks, yet he seems to want acceptance. It's strange. Even Drake and Big Sean would clown this guy.

+1

Dude needs to relax when it comes to this stuff. Just get tired of it. Was the same on the mixtapes too......no way he can keep releasing stuff with the same issues. I've run out of sympathy for him.
Not saying you're wrong, but what do you expect him to rap about without having his album become a Lonely Island comedy-type album?

I agree it gets old, but at least he's rapping about what he knows...or what he thinks he knows. Talks about females, drinking/partying, being different. Maybe he'll step out of his comfort zone on his sophomore album.

Originally Posted by JD161616

Originally Posted by zmdawg

Originally Posted by heelish

All the talent in the world, but he uses it to rap about the corniest things ever. Talking about "being" white & not being accepted by blacks, yet he seems to want acceptance. It's strange. Even Drake and Big Sean would clown this guy.

+1

Dude needs to relax when it comes to this stuff. Just get tired of it. Was the same on the mixtapes too......no way he can keep releasing stuff with the same issues. I've run out of sympathy for him.
Not saying you're wrong, but what do you expect him to rap about without having his album become a Lonely Island comedy-type album?

I agree it gets old, but at least he's rapping about what he knows...or what he thinks he knows. Talks about females, drinking/partying, being different. Maybe he'll step out of his comfort zone on his sophomore album.

The funny thing is Culdesac, EP ,and Camp all sound different. Almost all rappers can rap about something else but they always end up rapping about the same thing. Wiz/Curren$y/DZA=Smoking, Drake=Girls, Big Sean=his **** 

Nice, I saw this earlier and was going to post it... Maron's interviews are always great.

4.19.12 I'll be there
pimp.gif

Yeah good interview. You guys who think he gay should listen he speaks on ppl thinking he's gay when he was growing up in ATL 
laugh.gif

Man yall had this thread going since 2010? I'm just getting into his music it's pretty dope so far. Not sure where to DL his projects in full at.

Originally Posted by retrowear23

Man yall had this thread going since 2010? I'm just getting into his music it's pretty dope so far. Not sure where to DL his projects in full at.

same here just started to watch Community and the found some of his music.

He's gonna be here in Mpls on the 29th debating if I should go.

Back
Top Bottom