OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

I don't dislike him and I was digging his run until Death of the Family. Just not digging his 3rd acts/conclusions. Can't comment on the run after that.

Loved Court of Owls though.

Death of the Family is the shortest arc and was really a set up for his later Joker arc.

If you only read the first two arcs and loved Court of Owls, I'd definitely recommend reading the rest before judging. Zero Year, Endgame and even Superheavy were all pretty great.

Death of the Family is his weakest arc in my opinion and I don't really care for the way he writes Joker overall, along with the focus he places on him.

Anyone else read DC Universe Rebirth #1? More than anything else
i'm just happy to see Wally West back.

Wow, that was really good. But I'm so lost on where DC's continuity stands right now.

From what I gathered at the moment it's still New 52, but going forward we're going to start seeing changes. You had a ton of New 52 events being referenced, with the addition of course of Manhattan being the one behind Pandora and the person responsible for creating the new verse. And clearly they're not just throwing everything out, since you have Batman mentioning the 3 Jokers which he just found out about. The part that confused me was towards the end, when Barry makes reference to Wally having been on the Teen Titans. Those weren't the versions of the characters from Pre-Flashpoint, but from the New 52. Specifically its the group that was set up during Titans Hunt (Which even ends with **** questioning where the final Titan is, ergo Wally). So it seems as if Wally has somehow already been folded into this universe as well.

I dug it. A lot of different things to process.

Words can't describe the joy of seeing Wally back. That broment where Barry finally remembers Wally got me in my feels.

Saturn Girl is being interrogated for stealing? What has she seen? I have no clue what's going on there. :lol:

I really want to know what Ray Palmer knows and how he got trapped in the microverse.

This first issue seems to continue New 52 continuity. Wally tries to reach Vic/Cyborg when he's talking about the Teen Titans, but New 52 made Cyborg a founding member of the Justice League. I wonder what Cyborg's fate is as far as the Justice League's continuity going forward.

Also, GOOD LAWD when Dr. Fate shows up to speak to Ted Kord about the scarab. :wow: Please tell me there's a Rebirth Blue Beetle book coming out. :wow:

I didn't like most of it yet it wasn't terribly written or anything but hey I'm not the biggest fan of DC and was only keeping track of a few things.

Liked the potential stuff with the Jokers but I just don't care about Wally and feel that twist is just desperate.

Obviously they're not in the plans but I would've liked to see some Wildstorm characters in this. Wish Lee would get in the rebirth for that.

Last edited:
Wally coming back is what I wanted most to happen. Although, I'm not feeling the new costume that he will eventually wear

I dug it. A lot of different things to process.

Words can't describe the joy of seeing Wally back. That broment where Barry finally remembers Wally got me in my feels.

Saturn Girl is being interrogated for stealing? What has she seen? I have no clue what's going on there. :lol:

I really want to know what Ray Palmer knows and how he got trapped in the microverse.

This first issue seems to continue New 52 continuity. Wally tries to reach Vic/Cyborg when he's talking about the Teen Titans, but New 52 made Cyborg a founding member of the Justice League. I wonder what Cyborg's fate is as far as the Justice League's continuity going forward.

Also, GOOD LAWD when Dr. Fate shows up to speak to Ted Kord about the scarab. :wow: Please tell me there's a Rebirth Blue Beetle book coming out. :wow:
Saturn Girl surprised me. Just wasn't expecting her or the Legion to come into this, though i'm sure Legion fans around the globe are cheering. I really do need to look into picking up some of the older volumes for that group and checking them out.

Well Ray was talking about their being something wrong with the timeline, which could only be leading into Manhattan and his creation of the New 52. I'm curious about what that last thing he was going to say to Ryan was though. :nerd:

Well, Cyborg never belonged on the Justice League so this is as good a time as any to just retcon that piece of history away altogether and put him back with the Titans :smokin

I actually thought Ted was being kind of a jerk to Jaime :lol: All the kid wants to do is get rid of the Scarab and he's rambling on about becoming a hero.

Obviously they're not in the plans but I would've liked to see some Wildstorm characters in this. Wish Lee would get in the rebirth for that.

I actually said something similar to a friend of mine yesterday after I read the issue. DC has a number of characters and properties that they currently aren't using that could use some exposure, but instead of doing so they're bringing Doc Manhattan into this :smh: Damn shame.

It's crazy but w/e they must be going with w/e is profittable. Hence, then double shipping their main heroes and shedding all of the books that take chances.

They went with extra effort to fully intergrate Windstorm in the New52 but seem to be putting them on the back burner.

To me the whole narrative about hope and optimisim is bull ****. The same way they tried to go exclusively dark and gritty for their "reboot". Fans just want quality in the art and storytelling. Focus on that instead of going from full on 90s to then going to this trendy niche market with DCYou (which also failed and they're still lacking with minority representation while going back to a damn near all white heroes model).

It's all bull ****.

Last edited:
They didn't seem to do much with Wildstorm. I just remember seeing a Grifter series. That's about it.

I actually got the vibe of more diversity from Rebirth #1. It seems like they're putting more emphasis on Ryan Choi, black Wally, Jaime Reyes, and Jackson/Kaldur'ahm. My boy John Stewart is still playing the background to Hal though. :lol: I wish they would give John a solo book.

First time poster in the thread.. not sure if this is frowned upon...

But do ya'll have any recommendations on the best way to DL free comic PDFs on my iPad? :nerd:

Thanks in advance :nerd:

The continuity stuff I only barley care about...I care more about the fact that the books they've announced seem just as boring and homogeneous as they did before the reboot.

They didn't seem to do much with Wildstorm. I just remember seeing a Grifter series. That's about it.

I actually got the vibe of more diversity from Rebirth #1. It seems like they're putting more emphasis on Ryan Choi, black Wally, Jaime Reyes, and Jackson/Kaldur'ahm. My boy John Stewart is still playing the background to Hal though. :lol: I wish they would give John a solo book.
I mean the majority of those guys existed prior to all of this and were either ignored (Choi) or they're teens so they were in some team book and imo a lot of those team books were no good.

I'll see where the Chinese Supes go but that whole larger storyline just seems like they're doing what they did last time Supermanndied, only this the majority are all heroes. Only difference I figure is when New52 Superman comes back, pre 52 Super dies or merger with the other.

My thing is I'd like to see some more pushes, new or old minority characters getting solos or some spotlight that isn't fleeting word to the GL with the gun they dropped and are now bringing back. I still look @ the JL roster and :lol: :smh:

I feel like Rebirth could easily set up a Ryan Choi solo book. He could go after Ray and do the whole becoming a better superhero thing. It's up to DC to see if they do anything with that. They probably won't though.

Jaime has his own solo coming up.

I doubt Kaldur or black Wally/Kid Flash III(?) get anything outside the team books.

Green Lantern Corps was basically a John Stewart book for a while and had a good run pre-Convergence. I think it was selling well too. But John wasn't on the JL roster and they wanted to push Cyborg's wack *** on people.

I feel like Rebirth could easily set up a Ryan Choi solo book. He could go after Ray and do the whole becoming a better superhero thing. It's up to DC to see if they do anything with that. They probably won't though.

Jaime has his own solo coming up.

I doubt Kaldur or black Wally/Kid Flash III(?) get anything outside the team books.

Green Lantern Corps was basically a John Stewart book for a while and had a good run pre-Convergence. I think it was selling well too. But John wasn't on the JL roster and they wanted to push Cyborg's wack *** on people.
To me it just feels so confining.

Like I know other than rare occassions, new characters usually don't last long or are huge successes but then when I look at what they do have it is nothing that's appealing to me. Keeps going back to them not really having many prominent minority characters back in the 60s or 70s they could've pushed forward.

First time poster in the thread.. not sure if this is frowned upon...

But do ya'll have any recommendations on the best way to DL free comic PDFs on my iPad? :nerd:

Thanks in advance :nerd:

Most comics download don't come in PDF files, usually cbr files or something like that. I'm sure there is an app for a cbr reader though.

But get a library card, register for Hoopla, download the app, and you can download and read from a large listing of graphic novels for free and legally.

Back
Top Bottom