OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

"Rebirth" as in bring them back to the way they were when people loved them like what DC is doing after realizing the damage they did with New 52. Before Beast was a villain that went to the Inhumans. Before they started coming up with cheap ways to kill significant mutants off. Before we got a replacement Wolverine.

I don't think X-Men really needs a rebirth.

Besides rebirth back to when? Its been convoluted since the 80a and pretty much by the early 90s the X-characters were set in stone and there's really no room for new ones to shine.

What made the X-Men great also can be it's downfall. The realism and metaphor of dealing with prejudice and discrimination in all forms will be a problem when you're telling a never ending story. They will always be hated and feared and that can be a downer if you're not doing something fresh that's consistent. It'll fall back to same predictable stuff.

Even the notable side stuff not dealing with the main theme like going to space and magic can end up being stale and repittive.

They got a built-in fan base so it'll always sell.

Last edited:
Are the X-Men books still selling like they used to? I tried X-Men 92 because it's the only thing slightly resembling the older X-Men. I endured 4 issues and it's not that good. The first arc is so bad. They had the Dwarf from Darkhold show up like Clippy from Microsoft Word. The goofy playfulness, dialog, and heavy-handed humor seems more at place in one of those bad cartoons on TV today like Teen Titans Go instead of in something like X-Men.

People have speculated for a while now that the predicament of the X-Men and Fantastic Four in the comics is a response to them not owning the film rights. That Marvel doesn't want to do anything that could potentially "help" those movies. If Marvel gets the film rights back, I wouldn't be surprised if they get restored to their former glory.

Are the X-Men books still selling like they used to? I tried X-Men 92 because it's the only thing slightly resembling the older X-Men. I endured 4 issues and it's not that good. The first arc is so bad. They had the Dwarf from Darkhold show up like Clippy from Microsoft Word. The goofy playfulness, dialog, and heavy-handed humor seems more at place in one of those bad cartoons on TV today like Teen Titans Go instead of in something like X-Men.

People have speculated for a while now that the predicament of the X-Men and Fantastic Four in the comics is a response to them not owning the film rights. That Marvel doesn't want to do anything that could potentially "help" those movies. If Marvel gets the film rights back, I wouldn't be surprised if they get restored to their former glory.
X-Men 92' was designed to be that way with the goofy playfulness and dialog from the 90s cartoon.

X Books at least won't be canceled based on movie rights, they don't sell huge numbers but they consistently sell enough. FF wasn't selling, so the movie rights issue didn't help, but X-men will still have books out there.

OldMan Logan, All New/Uncanny/Extraordinary X-Men each did like 50k each last month. Wolverine almost 40k. If we gonna count deadpool he had 3 books do 55-60kish.

Last edited:
Well it depends on what you mean by selling like they use to.

The X-Men are never gonna sell millions of comics for one issue like they did in the 90s again. Comic bubble burst.

Going off diamond's charts most X-books are selling in the top 25, and the comics highest on that list some times reaching hundreds of thousands of comics being sold. Unlike the F4 they're not selling so low that Marvel could cancel it and be experimental with new books.

X-Men '92 is a farce. Its a humor book to me :lol:

Last edited:
I probably gotta scale it back for today's standards. Physical sales get divided by digital sales too. But you're right, comics will never sell like they did in the 90s. Most of the stuff I see in dollar or less bins is from the 90s.

I guess people went nuts and tried to stash copies to get rich, but when millions of copies are printed and everyone has the same comics in the same condition, they're not that valuable.

If X-Men is doing "good enough", then it'll probably keep going as-is.

Last edited:
I mean he was right about some things but he went about it all wrong
laugh.gif

I also think he's completely wrong about his child soldier stance. Its clear to me dude is off his rocker and unlike Magneto won't be able to bounce back from it well.

I assume the Death of X event this fall will reveal he went fully insane killed a bunch of innocent inhumans cuz of the t-mist and m-pox stuff when the fault lies on 2 or 3 inhumans and Thanos.
If we're talking specifically Xmen vs Avengers I didn't see him do anything wrong until he lost his mind in the end cuz of the phoenix force.

How you show up on a man's doorstep with a literal army and give him an ultimatum, then act like he's in the wrong when he tells you to get off his porch?

Then stark meddled with the phoenix force ******* things up even more and giving the power to people not meant to hold it.

Then they use the power to help people. Grow crops, provide energy, declare an end to war. And your response is to kidnap a girl to stop them 
indifferent.gif

They only lost control after you pushed them. Then you gonna act hurt again like you was just minding your business and got the taste slapped out ya mouth for no reason.

Yeah they were gonna crack eventually but damn you didnt have to help them. It's like the bullied kid showing up to school with a yoppa and you STILL push his buttons 
laugh.gif

I'm talking about his entire stance since X-Men: Schism.

When Wolverine is like nah b I can't **** with you, something is wrong :lol: To me he just kept going further and further away from what made him a hero and leader which again was fun to read and watch :lol:

As for AvX, I mean they were gonna fight so I can't judge much either way cuz it was an event revolving around that but as far as the Avengers stance it made sense cuz they got a heads up this time. The Phoenix force is destructive, genocide/planet killer destructive. It was on a path where it destroyed several other inhabited planets heading for Earth.

EVERY time it comes to Earth it's the same ****; somebody gets cosmic power, they try to fight it, they think they're controlling it, they go dark, ppl or an entire race dies, then that person has to sacrifice themself just to get rid of it. I don't think there's a Phoenix story where most of that doesn't happen :lol: The X-Men know this. They're experts on it but for some reason this time Cyclops has a hunch or wants to rely on a leap of faith that the Phoenix this time is coming to make Hope the host and save all mutants.

Sorry but there's no reason the rest of the superheroes should believe in that outside of those that have time traveled and saw that future. Forget that in the end he was righ. That premise isn't enough to risk mankind and the entire planet.

So I totally get the reason why they fought. Although the Avengers plan ended up being capturing Hope, training her themselves, and her being so fed up that she teamed up with the mutant killer in the first place and attempted to kill the Phoenix :lol: :smh:

Back to Cyclops, he was obviously in the wrong in the end. To me that was the time to make him go full anti-hero/villain. He killed the man that was the reason there was a X-Men in the first place. I'm hindsoght, didn't enjoy the Bendis run that much if I focus on Cyke's progression.

Last edited:
There are really only 2 things that needed to be fixed about the X-Men for me. One was the low population of Mutants after Decimation, which was taken care of with Avengers vs. X-Men, as new Mutants can be born now. Though that was kind of turned on its head with the recent Inhumans arc :smh:

The second is the slow basterdization of Charles Xavier's character which took place over the course of a decade or so, where anti-heroic act after anti-heroic act was slammed on him, leading to him receiving one blow (some physical and some not) after the other that really just ended with him being kicked out of his own house. I'm open to changes and as I said before in the case of Cyclops I think the changes were interesting and well handled, but what they did to Xavier would be like making Superman a villain or Alfred Pennyworth a criminal. Or hell, making Odin a human. It's something that just doesn't work for me based on what the character is supposed to be a represent within this world. With Charles currently being dead however it looks like it won't be happening any time soon and it's probably for the best at this point.

Last edited:
^Mixed feelings on what they did to Chuck. To me if you read early X-Men dude was a perv and borderline pedo depending on how old Jean was and that was a fact that was revisited a bit in the 90s Onslaught event.

The truth is with ANAD X-Men becoming THE team due to popularity Charles roles became less and less necessary over time to the point of just being a figurehead. Even when they made the school an actual school where children could live at almost predating the Harry Potter movies with that sort of concept (I don't really care for that status quo for the team). They went through decimation, utopia, etc. all pretty much without him. Then there was the fake death which was going to stick but they decided to really put a nail in it with a bittersweet end (mutants come back, mutant rights activist dies by the hand of his own student). It had a thematic almost Shakespearean conclusion. They don't really have plans for his return and unless he has his own book where he's running the school on adventures with all those unused teenage mutants pushed in the background or in limbo there's no point in bringing him back.

I actually liked Deadly Genesis (I think that was the name) when it's revealed he formed another X-rescue team to save the OG X-Men before the ANAD squad and they all seemingly die (one being Scott's youngest bro Vulcan).

Stuff like the Danger room being alive and Charles shackling it was ****** up though.

Marvel NOW jigsaw promo put together

Marvel_Jigsaw.jpg

I love the commitment to diversity, new characters, and more experimental solo and team books.

I've been enjoying Gwenpool for the humor and art, is buy a Prowler book but I know I'm in the minority, look forward to Mosaic, Ms. America, finally Gamora, and I'm split on Dr. Doom cuz it's written by Bendis.

Last edited:
Back to Cyclops, he was obviously in the wrong in the end. To me that was the time to make him go full anti-hero/villain. He killed the man that was the reason there was a X-Men in the first place..

What issue is this?

^Mixed feelings on what they did to Chuck. To me if you read early X-Men dude was a perv and borderline pedo depending on how old Jean was and that was a fact that was revisited a bit in the 90s Onslaught event.

The truth is with ANAD X-Men becoming THE team due to popularity Charles roles became less and less necessary over time to the point of just being a figurehead. Even when they made the school an actual school where children could live at almost predating the Harry Potter movies with that sort of concept (I don't really care for that status quo for the team). They went through decimation, utopia, etc. all pretty much without him. Then there was the fake death which was going to stick but they decided to really put a nail in it with a bittersweet end (mutants come back, mutant rights activist dies by the hand of his own student). It had a thematic almost Shakespearean conclusion. They don't really have plans for his return and unless he has his own book where he's running the school on adventures with all those unused teenage mutants pushed in the background or in limbo there's no point in bringing him back.

I actually liked Deadly Genesis (I think that was the name) when it's revealed he formed another X-rescue team to save the OG X-Men before the ANAD squad and they all seemingly die (one being Scott's youngest bro Vulcan).

That's what i'm saying though, that none of that should have happened to him. Agreed on him becoming less important regardless however, especially with him going off into space and leaving the team on their own, dying, etc. Which makes sense because they all grew up. Of course they wouldn't need him as much. Think they could've found a new role for him. Instead of the leader or headmaster, just make him a teacher and occasional field operative alongside the others, as equals.

I enjoyed Deadly Genesis not because it was that great, but because it gave us Vulcan, one of my favorite characters from the past few years. It then led into a series of interesting events set out in space with the Shiar and numerous other races. I think they're getting ready to release an omnibus for some of that arc in fact.

In Avengers vs. Xmen?

Later on in ongoing X-men series, everyone like hates him. He apologizes but no one forgives him...

Then Jean Grey from the past comes to the present, gets captured by the Shiar and goes on Trial for all her Phoenix related murders. And you guessed it, The X-men defend her. Now I know this is past Jean but they always cape for Jean and the things she did as Dark Phoenix.

It was a Jean that hadn't done any of those things though. There's no circumstance where that's fair at all. Especially when the Shi'Ar killed every member in her extended family except for Rachel and Cable cuz of the possibility they might be Phoenix hosts.

I totally get most X-Men not forgiving him though. Jean as Dark Phoenix didn't even really kill anybody they cared about. Just broccoli ppl. There's plenty mass murderers on the X-Men, they can forgive that but the sort of betrayal Scott is on is too far. Possessed or not.

Last edited:
I've always been of the opinion that Jean Grey's an example of a character who has retroactively been made into a saint after her death, in and out of universe :smh: Not even to say that she was bad or unintersting, but people make her out to be better than she actually was. Same thing with Barry Allen during the time he was dead. But that Shiar trial was pure comedy :lol: Didn't make a lick of sense to take a version of her from the past and try to hold her accountable in the future. Especially when at this point the O5 don't even seem to be past versions of the modern original 5 X-Men anymore, but alternate universe counterparts altogether. Because otherwise i'm not sure how things are supposed to stay exactly the same in the event that they're ever sent home.

Found a shop going out of business...all the good stuff was gone but I managed to get these for .75 a pop!

Avengers vs xmen and DC Rebirth of Detective Comics 934

Went to supercon in Miami today. Great day found so many great deals. Got to meet and talk to a lot of amazing people.

Both signed by Layton in decent condition for $11 easily my best find of the show. Issue 47 is the first appearance of Scott Lang as ant-man. Some dude Almost had a heart attack when he heard the guy tell me the price had to give him the look to down play it lol.

Signed by both Gibbons and Wein for 30 in near mint

Damn near perfect wolverine vol2 1 and 2 for $35.

Bought this exclusively for out of time part one(first winter soldier appearance and the only issue I'm missing from it) for $13. Pretty much perfect condition.

And the the big invest of the show was my first golden age comic. Atlas comics(after timely and before the marvel rebranding) Beautiful for almost a 70 year old comic and luckily one of the artist Allen bellman who penciled and inked in it was there so got it signed and verified by cgc. Great chopping it up with him. He wanted to look through it and read a few pages of course I couldn't say no to that. Witnessing him look through some of his old work witch he probably hasn't seen in who knows how long was amazing. Can't wait to get it back and hang it up somewhere.

Not a comic but got Jeremy bulloch( wore the boba fett costume in the original trilogy to sign my elite series figure. Super nice guy talked to him for a good half hour while they were setting him up.

Last edited:
^ Nice pick ups. I'm actually going to Supercon today as well, not sure if I'll find anything to pick up, but bringing a handful of stuff to get signed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom