OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

Had a pretty good day yesterday at Supercon. Ended up getting 12 of my comic signed by creators that were there, including these 3 by Greg Cappulo. Only had brought two for him to sign, but decided to grab that spawn from a dollar box while waiting on him to show up.

Also was able to find these which I had been searching for. Batgirl Purple Rain Variant, Artgerm Fly Variant, and a Spider-Man #42 in pretty decent shape.

Spent $27 on the Amazing Spider-Man, and the shop had a spin the wheel for a chance at a New Mutants #98. Of course I didn't win that, but did get $25 worth of store credit, which basically gave me the money back I spent on the AMS 42. Grabbed a pair of Spawn keys, and then just a bunch of cheap stuff. Ended up 13 total books for 27 bucks.

Just wanted to mix it up a little here. Does any have comic book inspired kicks?? Collabs, IDs, etc

Heres a small tmnt collection I have

Captain America at number 3 though? :stoneface: Creator of this list identified the most important factors in the process as being iconic, unique, and aesthetic. Honestly I don't know that Black Panther or Deadpool really belong on this list in comparison to other heroes. Yes they have their fans, have been around for decades, and have probably seen recent spikes in popularity even due to their respective film appearances. But are their costums really more well-known than someone like Wonder Woman or Green Lantern (Though I suppose Green Lantern might be disqualified due to him being part of a team, similar to the X-Men, even though i'd say there's only one specific costume that's extremely well-known, and it's Hal Jordans)? I think Wonder Woman not being here is the biggest surprise though. Back to Cap however, I just don't see how he earned a spot over Superman. Like or hate the character, the S-Shield is one of the most well-known symbols in the modern age and it's been around since the 1930s. Really don't think Cap's costume compares. Now that I think about it I don't see how Spawn got onto this list either. I understand the argument being made concerning aesthetics, but there are 3 factors being taken into account and he's completely washed when it comes to being iconic. There's a reason you can go to various spots at the mall and pick up Flash or Spider-Man t-shirts, but not Spawn ones. Aesthetically I think many heroes can be argued to be equal, with the look of their costumes, making that the least important area to me.

He also says he's chosen the most common or popular design for each character, but uses a version of Superman's costume from the New 52 :lol: Same with Batman. :rofl:

Last edited:
Deadpool's look (and character in general) was lifted from Deathstroke and was initially a satire. He's definitely cool looking, but I wouldn't put him in a top 10. I just skimmed the list to see who they have. As much as I love BP, I wouldn't put his costume on a top 10. Is that even T'Challa? He's holding guns. I think that's Kasper Cole. Venom? Really fam? Cap? And he's higher than Supes and Iron Man?

Teams aren't allowed? The Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Green Lantern Corps definitely deserve to get represented somehow. Shazam/Captain Marvel, Thor, Daredevil. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles headbands/masks and belts are pretty iconic too. I guess Hulk's transformation isn't technically a "costume", but it's a change and Bruce Banner isn't The Hulk when he's his regular self. Spawn and Venom have living symbiotic suits and it's not that different.

I just don't understand the difficulty in creating a new superhero and potential new franchise as opposed to just making the "black" or "female" or both version of an established character. That doesn't do the idea of racial/gender representation any justice.

Miles Morales was cool when Ultimate Marvel was still a thing and Peter Parker seemed to be dead for good. He had his own thing going.

But then Miles meets 616 Peter, and then Ultimate Peter comes back, and then drives off into the sunset, son didn't even appear in Spider-Verse
laugh.gif

And then Secret Wars happens and now there are two Spider-Men active in NYC, not to mention all of the other spider-powered characters swinging around. There are like 10.

And the Cap is an old man for like 12 months and they push Sam as the new Cap. But then original Cap comes back and now there are two Caps.

And Thor is a woman--I love her series, I think it's really creative, but very soon status quo will resume and Thor will become...well Thor again. And then there will be two Thors.

X-23 is Wolverine and Logan is allegedly dead. I haven't read an X-book since AvX but obviously he will return, being Wolverine, and then there will be two Wolverines.

So Tony quits or something and this new girl takes over? What happens when Tony comes back? Two Iron Men
mean.gif

The need for representation in comic books by people of color and women should be taken seriously. SO INVENT SOME DAMN NEW BLACK AND WOMEN SUPERHEROES AND STOP TACKING NEW RACES AND GENDERS ON THE OLD ONES
laugh.gif
. When are we gonna read "The new Silver Surfer is a genderfluid tri-racial whatever?"

Remember when Dwayne McDuffie created Static and Icon and tons of other cool characters 25 years ago? Remember how cool that was? JUST DO THAT YOU MORONS
laugh.gif

Excuse the rant

Last edited:
KingdomFlatbush KingdomFlatbush Technically there are 2 Wolverines now, since, along with X-23, Old Man Logan stuck around after Secret Wars just like Miles did. He's with the X-Men now.

From what I understand about the new Iron Man, Tony is supposed to be mentoring her, which at least makes this better than other examples and more like Superboy and Supergirl for Superman or Nightwing and Robin for Batman.

Agreed on the need to create more new characters however instead of just throwing old ones into the roles of other old characters. Made the same argument back when they turned Wally West African American in the New 52. In the grand scheme that didn't solve anything and was just a lazy way of trying to make it appear that they were giving us more characters of color, without actually being creative about it and appealing to the existing fanbase that Wally West already had. Sam Wilson was arguably better off as Falcoln, because that was his own identity that he'd had for years, performed admirably in, and there was zero chance that Steve Rogers wasn't going to return as Captain America to upstage him eventually.

Last edited:
Curious to what new super heros you guys would want?

I mean I believe they have touch every superhero, gift, and mutated they could. I do believe they can touch on stronger stories.

I just don't understand the difficulty in creating a new superhero and potential new franchise as opposed to just making the "black" or "female" or both version of an established character. That doesn't do the idea of racial/gender representation any justice.

Miles Morales was cool when Ultimate Marvel was still a thing and Peter Parker seemed to be dead for good. He had his own thing going.

But then Miles meets 616 Peter, and then Ultimate Peter comes back, and then drives off into the sunset, son didn't even appear in Spider-Verse :lol:

And then Secret Wars happens and now there are two Spider-Men active in NYC, not to mention all of the other spider-powered characters swinging around. There are like 10.

And the Cap is an old man for like 12 months and they push Sam as the new Cap. But then original Cap comes back and now there are two Caps.

And Thor is a woman--I love her series, I think it's really creative, but very soon status quo will resume and Thor will become...well Thor again. And then there will be two Thors.

X-23 is Wolverine and Logan is allegedly dead. I haven't read an X-book since AvX but obviously he will return, being Wolverine, and then there will be two Wolverines.

So Tony quits or something and this new girl takes over? What happens when Tony comes back? Two Iron Men :smh:

The need for representation in comic books by people of color and women should be taken seriously. SO INVENT SOME DAMN NEW BLACK AND WOMEN SUPERHEROES AND STOP TACKING NEW RACES AND GENDERS ON THE OLD ONES :lol: . When are we gonna read "The new Silver Surfer is a genderfluid tri-racial whatever?"

Remember when Dwayne McDuffie created Static and Icon and tons of other cool characters 25 years ago? Remember how cool that was? JUST DO THAT YOU MORONS :lol:

Excuse the rant

I mean It's simple.

1. Mainstream Marvel/DC Fans don't want to read new heroes.

2. The advent of Creator owned work gives creators ZERO incentive to create brand new characters that they have zero ownership stake in when hollywood comes calling.

No one is going to read a Falcon series, but they will read Falcon as Captain America.

If Miles Morales isn't spider man no one will read a Miles Morales headline character.

best way to break a new character is to attach it to brand name.

Don't be mad at Marvel be mad at comic fans for being narrow minded and ridged.

Last edited:
There is no difficulty. You're not getting creators giving up their best ideas for freelance pay and a credit on a possible movie. Besides that, y'all know what happens most times when new heroes are created in a publisher with already dozens of established heroes with 70 years of history? They end up in limbo. There's already thousands of them that get brought back every now and then as jokes or to be killed and the rare times as developed characters. The days of one creator shepherding a bunch of heroes journeys for a decade or more is over. New freelancers come in and they ditch most of the newly created characters for their own.

Y'all gotta smarten up.

The crop of Marvel heroes are the ones we got from here on out barring 2 maybe 3 completely brand new ones that manage to be breakouts. And for that to be done they have to be pushed hard most times. Same if it's a legacy character.

Other than that, all new heroes will be legacies like Ms. Marvel. I honestly don't see the problem. All Marvel is doing is repeating the same stuff they've done in the past. Only difference is they're doing a lot of it at the same time these past few years. Maybe 40 years ago ppl complained about Rhodey being IM until he got a bigger fan base to drown those ppl out.

Also these characters aren't just black or female or [insert minority label] versions of established heroes. Is Miles really just an afrolatino version of Peter? Is Kamala a Muslim version of Carol?

Not even giving these new characters a chance before you dismiss them. Wreaks of entitlement.

I don't see this kind of complaining for the 200 robins, handful of derivative Superman knockoffs, dozen or so Flashes, and I'll be fair and not bring in the GLs :lol: but hell WW, Aquaman, MM, etc. have at least one kid copy of them that's been created. Its just until recently most of them were white.

DC is filled with legacy characters. This is straight up hypocrisy.

To me this is fake outrage at its best. Better representation is being taken seriously and now yall complaining about how they're creating that representation. Its bull ****.

McDuffie didn't create those Milestone characters. He didn't even create Static. That was Michael Davis and the other founders of Milestone which he was one of but dude didn't create the most popular one. Besides look at what happened to them. Talking like Milestone has been a succes since it started. What's the last Static comic anyone picked up? They closed up shop cuz they didn't have the support with all of the new characters they created.

You don't just create new heroes and then succeed. That's not how it works in the comic industry.

Last edited:
People who want to read new characters/ideas go to Image/Dynamite/Boom...

People go to Marvel and DC for familiarity/legacy.

Who said the characters weren't being given a chance? Kingdom outright complimented Miles Morales as Spider-Man.

Curious to what new super heros you guys would want?

I mean I believe they have touch every superhero, gift, and mutated they could. I do believe they can touch on stronger stories.

Agree on stronger stories always being possible to create. In regards to new characters I don't think there's a problem with a new character having the same ability as an old one. That in itself doesn't make it impossible to tell a good story. Really you see this with the various legacy characters in both DC and Marvel. Batman has good stories, as does Robin, yet both do the exact same things for the most part. Same applies to Flash and Kid Flash, the different Green Lanterns, etc.

Blue Marvel was created in like 07 or 08, has a similar powerset to Superman, Hyperion, Sentry, Thor, and other characters, but still has some decent stories.

Hell look at The Incredibles. Similar to the Fantastic 4, but still a great movie and I honestly like them more than I ever have the 4.

Last edited:
Who said the characters weren't being given a chance? Kingdom outright complimented Miles Morales as Spider-Man.
I also stated in multiple threads (and in that very post), that Jane's Thor book is my favorite running Marvel book, and have complained at least twice about Wally, Jay, and Barry all being the Flash while having Bart and Black Wally alive in continuity as well, making at least 5 Flashes, so not sure what the "hypocrisy" angle is that he was getting at there
laugh.gif

(By the way, Static's last run was cancelled simply because it wasn't a good book and the writer suffered from massive editor interference. Not due to racism or the fact that he was not an established legacy character)

http://johnrozum.blogspot.com/2012/01/why-i-quit-static-shock.html

Last edited:
Comic fans would never buy a series about 15 year old black girl super hero if she wasn't attached to a legacy character.

It's just reality.

There's a reason books like Avengers Arena get "Avengers" in the title even though it has nothing to do with the avengers. :lol:

Last edited:
People who want to read new characters/ideas go to Image/Dynamite/Boom...

People go to Marvel and DC for familiarity/legacy.
Exactly.

If you're looking for minority representation from the Big 2 though, this is how they're gonna get it.

Yeah but the rest is complaining and it was started due to the new focus character in an Iron Man comic.

She's had a few pgs of focus on like 3 issues.

If they're being given a chance exactly what is the complaining about? That the new Daredevil isn't a cometely new hero with their own name, power set, and costume?

Quite frankly, when I look at all of the unused characters and comcepts Marvel for instance has languishing there's an argument no more new heroes or villains should even be made.

Hell look at The Incredibles. Similar to the Fantastic 4, but still a great movie and I honestly like them more than I ever have the 4.
Well that was a movie [emoji]127909[/emoji]. Two different mediums. Especially when you add in the fact there isn't one good F4 movie.

This is not in an general superhero problem. Its a superhero comic problem.

Yeah but the rest is complaining and it was started due to the new focus character in an Iron Man comic.

She's had a few pgs of focus on like 3 issues.

If they're being given a chance exactly what is the complaining about? That the new Daredevil isn't a cometely new hero with their own name, power set, and costume?

Quite frankly, when I look at all of the unused characters and comcepts Marvel for instance has languishing there's an argument no more new heroes or villains should even be made..

The complaining is about the lack of new characters not attached to previously established heroes. Period. No one ever said that the new Ms. Marvel or Spider-Man were then bad characters. A general practice is the issue being complained about and it isn't unique to either DC or Marvel respectively. So Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and others aren't exempt just because they weren't specifically mentioned.

EDIT: Well the F4 have also failed as animated characters where the Incredibles succeeded. In general I found that film to be better than a good number of F4 stories in various mediums.

I also stated in multiple threads (and in that very post), that Jane's Thor book is my favorite running Marvel book, and have complained at least twice about Wally, Jay, and Barry all being the Flash while having Bart and Black Wally alive in continuity as well, making at least 5 Flashes, so not sure what the "hypocrisy" angle is that he was getting at there :lol:  

(By the way, Static's last run was cancelled simply because it wasn't a good book and the writer suffered from massive editor interference. Not due to racism or the fact that he was not an established legacy character)

Yeah, i've definitely said multiple times now that there are too many Robins and really too many people running around the Bat Cave in general and that a cleansing is in order. :lol: Also directly mentioned Wally West. Superman had a similar problem to Batman way back in the day, but hasn't for a while now. Though it's also no coincidence that New Krypton ended with the deaths of all those Kandorians that popped up.

Last edited:
Imagine you are a comic creator...

1.) you come up with a completely brand new idea for a super hero; and idea so new and so unique that it warrants it's own completely original series.

2.) You get a close artist friend of yours to design the costume, it looks incredible, it looks so awesome it's going to change super hero comics forever. Marvel studios is going to want this for Phase 28.5....

Why on earth would you then GIVE IT AWAY to Marvel? :lol:

Imagine you are a comic creator...

1.) you come up with a completely brand new idea for a super hero; and idea so new and so unique that it warrants it's own completely original series.

2.) You get a close artist friend of yours to design the costume, it looks incredible, it looks so awesome it's going to change super hero comics forever. Marvel studios is going to want this for Phase 28.5....

Why on earth would you then GIVE IT AWAY to Marvel?
laugh.gif

Fair enough I'll keep reading Image

I also stated in multiple threads (and in that very post), that Jane's Thor book is my favorite running Marvel book, and have complained at least twice about Wally, Jay, and Barry all being the Flash while having Bart and Black Wally alive in continuity as well, making at least 5 Flashes, so not sure what the "hypocrisy" angle is that he was getting at there :lol:  

Your complaints are the same as many I see on comic book forums. It always convienently ignores the 70 year history of DC and their legacy characters.

Y'all dude's love the Robins like crazy. If you gonna be anti-legacy character do it across the board. Multiple Flashes been that way for decades. This is how it is in comics.

If you don't like that sucks for you.

As for Static, that book sucked. It sold poorly cuz of it. I ain't never said anything about racism :lol: Bringing up Static has nothing to do with legacy characters :lol: He's not a legacy of anything. He's an example of what happens to newly created characters. Follow the Milestone comics timeline. There was a Static comic, Icon, Xombi, etc. then there wasn't. Static went on to have a popular cartoon but that ended too. Look at the gaps in time for Static comics.

You're naming a weak new 52 effort. Static's comic was bad and then it was cancelled due to low sales not cuz of editorial interference. Editorial interference was the excuse the writer brought up for why the comic was so bad and the New52 had plenty of that. The Milestone founder who have final say had to pull Static from the universe due to what DC was doing and are now trying to revive Milestone.

Thing is before that when was the last Static comic? A character created in the 90s basically goes ghost when the publisher closed up shop even after the Dakotaverse characters got folded in to DC proper they had some appearances, a crossover and then back to limbo.

Milestone is not a good example of new comic heroes being created and thriving. They lack longevity and consistency. Of its just to create new character for momentary popularity until it crashes on pretty sure Marvel is not in to that. Nor are there many talented creators willing to just give up those rights unless they're total inexperienced fools or are getting paid and getting guaranteed security and probably some stock options.

The complaining is about the lack of new characters not attached to previously established heroes. Period.
I already addressed this. You're not gonna get this at the same pace as you'll get legacy characters.

There's both a creative and business reason for this. Do y'all know how deep it goes with Marvel superheroes? Creating more that will most likely fail once that creator moves on makes no sense. Rare instances does success come.

No one ever said that the new Ms. Marvel or Spider-Man were then bad characters.
Nor did I accuse anyone of saying so.

A general practice is the issue being complained about and it isn't unique to either DC or Marvel respectively. So Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and others aren't exempt just because they weren't specifically mentioned.
Then I gotta ask how long have y'all specifically complaining about this have been reading comics. This complaint doesn't make sense to me. I've been reading since the 90s. The idea that Marvel or DC needs more brand new superheroes to be made when they've failed more than succeded, when they've found more success with legacy characters doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Well the F4 have also failed as animated characters where the Incredibles succeeded. In general I found that film to be better than a good number of F4 stories in various mediums.
There has never been an F4 animated movie. Just a few cartoons produced by FOX iirc :lol:

You brought up the Incredibles. An animated movie. That and F4 have their similarites with being a family with powers but one is a movie the other is a comic first.

I don't get comparing one movie to a few F4 cartoon eps and comic issues. There's hundreds of F4 comics, dozens of great and classic stories.

I'd lean to the thinking that the only reason there's an Incredibles is cuz there was an F4 first.

Last edited:
We ALL know Tony will be back eventually. People just love to complain.

Riri was created, people were speculating if she would be a new war machine or iron maiden, then Rhodes dies, and they were sure on War Machine, now we know her role will actually be Iron Man(at first anyways). While all of this was being figured out, know what the masses complaints were? "Marvel quit forcing your diversity on us. Go create new black heroes if you want us to read them."

Mosaic was announced by Marvel two weeks ago. Debuted in Uncanny Inhumans last week and will be getting his own ongoing in the Fall. Black super hero, completely new character, Know what the masses were complaining about with him? "Marvel quit forcing your diversity on us, and stop making Inhumans because you don't have X-Men movie rights"

No matter what people are gonna complain.

There has never been an F4 animated movie. Just a few cartoons produced by FOX iirc :lol:

You brought up the Incredibles. An animated movie. That and F4 have their similarites with being a family with powers but one is a movie the other is a comic first.

I don't get comparing one movie to a few F4 cartoon eps and comic issues. There's hundreds of F4 comics, dozens of great and classic stories.

I'd lean to the thinking that the only reason there's an Incredibles is cuz there was an F4 first.

Nor did I ever say there had been. I said animation, which clearly referred to their cartoon appearances. They've had 4 different animated series, with most consisting of at least 20 episodes, so that's more than "Just a few cartoons". :lol: I brought up The Incredibles as being similar to the F4, which they are, and stated that regardless of that I prefer them to the F4. Don't believe I ever said that their film was better than every single story the F4 has been in in every medium, simply that I, again, prefer them to the F4 overall. So i'm not really sure what the issue is. I mentioned the F4's animated appearances to point out that they've failed outside of the live action films. Whether The Incredibles exist because of the F4 or not is irrelevant. May as well say I should love Superman because X-Hero wouldn't exist without him. The point, again, is that The Incredibles are similar to the F4 in concept and really whether you like them or not you can't argue that they aren't a success, showing that you can take old comic ideas and have them do just fine.

In regards to the time it would take to create new characters versus legacy characters I don't believe anyone argued about time or implied that it mattered. I want to see it in general and don't want it to be rushed, so i'd expect it to take years and it rightfully should.

Been reading comics since the 90s and I don't really see why either Marvel or DC shouldn't continue to put out brand new heroes just because some have failed in the past. Sounds like just giving up when all their heroes were brand new at one point and varioues heroes have now stood the test of time. Also, i'm not saying legacy characters should stop being made altogether. I'm saying more new characters should be made alongside them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom