Official Cooking Steak Thread

I usually cook steak a couple of times a week. I also usually do a side of mushrooms & baby spinach. Here's my method.

Preheat the oven to 350-400.

Rub the steaks down with Himalayan salt and fresh ground black pepper, then sit them aside. I prefer to use either strip, flat iron, or hanger steaks.

Start heating some Kerrygold unsalted butter over low to medium heat on the stove. As it melts, chop up 1/4 to 1/2 onion and throw it in the pan to let them saute. It takes some time, but I find that if you cook them over low heat until they are almost see through, they have a sweet, soft texture, without being mushy. After about 5 minutes or so, I throw the mushrooms in. I don't really mess with it too much, just kind of drag a wooden spatula around every few minutes to make sure things are evenly coated.

Chop up a clove or two of garlic and set it aside with the baby spinach. I generally throw some cherry tomatoes in with this also.

Put a cast iron skillet or grill pan on the stove and heat it up to high. I've experimented with different oils and butter, right now, this is my favorite thing to use

View media item 693069
I've also been using a Le Creuset cast iron grill pan instead of my skillet lately. Anyway, I throw some of the ghee in the pan, and let it melt down.

At this point the mushrooms and onions should be just about right. I throw the garlic, spinach and tomatoes in. I keep it over low heat so the spinach and tomatoes cook down a bit, but don't get mushy. I just kind of stir through to make sure it all gets coated. Here's a photo from a few weeks ago right as I threw it all in, this night I wasn't paying attention, and used way too much butter.

View media item 693064
Throw the steaks in the pan and sear them for about 45 seconds on each side.

Pull the steaks off the burner put a little more ghee on top of them, and throw them in the oven for 3-4 minutes on each side. Or if you cook your sides with too much butter like I did in the pic above, i just drained some of the excess butter out over the steaks.

Pull the steaks out, let them sit for a few minutes, throw everything on a plate and enjoy. With my oven, the steaks tend to come out medium rare.

Will be purchasing a thermometer. 165 you say? That's for every meat?

No. It depends on the meat and how it's prepared. All temps are in the thickest part and not touching a bone.

Chicken, turkey and other poultry should be 165 °F.

Hamburger, sausages and other ground meat should be 155 °F.

Steaks, chops and other “whole meats" are safe when cooked to 145 °F – which is mediumish. Obviously you can go a little lower for medium rare or rare but there is a slightly higher risk with that.

Seafood should be 145 °F too.

I use my temperature fork all the time. I also have one of those remote read ones too for doing things that take hours. - you don't have to keep checking (or even go outside!) to know what's going on. If you're grilling without knowing the temperature you're either at risk of food poisoning or just producing crap.

This thread is definitely useful. I will be copying any recipes I see for future keeping.

Copped some steak today :pimp:

Gonna try that cooler method tomorrow night.

I'm really excited lol

sous vide?

I would try this method, less mess IMO though I haven't tried it myself. my home oven doesn't even click on at 165 °F. but if yours doesn't either, then i'd try that cooler method.

just adjust the time for steaks to the same as that cooler method.
also has a few more vids on how to cook/season steaks in there as well
http://tv.esquire.com/videos/70772-eat-like-a-man-hillbilly-sous-vide

Is butter always the way to go instead of oil?

Just for healths sake, I would use the likes of olive or coconut oil, but thats just me though....the combination of basting beef in butter just sounds :x :x :x. But do you.

Last edited:
Drizzle a little olive oil on top of the steaks prior to eatin for extra effect. Its the italian style

No. It depends on the meat and how it's prepared. All temps are in the thickest part and not touching a bone.

Steaks, chops and other “whole meats" are safe when cooked to 145 °F – which is mediumish. Obviously you can go a little lower for medium rare or rare but there is a slightly higher risk with that.

I use my temperature fork all the time. I also have one of those remote read ones too for doing things that take hours. - you don't have to keep checking (or even go outside!) to know what's going on. If you're grilling without knowing the temperature you're either at risk of food poisoning or just producing crap.

Preach!!!

For years I knew I was doin' it on the grill. Then I bought a thermometer. My food is perfectly cooked every damn time now. No more chewy chicken and dry, crusty burgers. :pimp:

Grab a Thermapen and you won't regret it.

Preach!!!

For years I knew I was doin' it on the grill. Then I bought a thermometer. My food is perfectly cooked every damn time now. No more chewy chicken and dry, crusty burgers. :pimp:

Grab a Thermapen and you won't regret it.
I am not worthy my lords
May the wisdom u brought forth be cherished throught the ages

Grass fed tenderloin cooked 3 minutes each side for medium rare. :smokin

If I use the oven its minimally, it can overcook quickly.

salt, pepper, and this

4 minutes medium high on each side 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom