Official Guitar Players Thread vol. Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced

well then... finished my first Guitar build and wanted to post here and the thread is dead lol... I guess Guitar isnt a big interest here... anyways...

The Tele on the right is a Sawtooth ET Model that I bought, the one on the left is my first build (im Left handed, the guitars are left handed)

Solid Alder Body, Satin finished

Maple Neck,Satin finished, slab Maple fingerboard(FB is unfinished). medium Jumbo frets, Reverse Headstock

Vintage Fender Style Tuners

Bone Nut, Roller String Tree, Fender hardware

Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro 2 Tele Pickup set

USA Fender Telecaster wiring harness-250k CTS pots, switch craft 3 way switch and input jack, gumdrop cap

Electro socket input jack plate

Wilkinson Vintage Fender style telecaster ashtray Bridge w/ Brass Saddles

Real Abalone Control knobs

3ply black pick guard 

super slinky 11s I believe the red package

I own quite a few guitars and recently got bit by the tele bug... started the build and found the Sawtooth and couldnt pass on it(it was my first guitar build so i was learning as I went... took more time than expected), now I have both and love both actually but the one I built just has something special about it... sounds great, sustains all day and night, wouldnt trade it for anything

Last edited:
also want to share this video I just came across on youtube... Zayn Mohammed on Guitar/Vocoder cover of Pharrell - Frontin' ... I have always played the main lick a little different but he is going in lol

Last edited:
@spizike231  Just got a chance to listen to him. Solid voice! I started getting eased into the country scene this summer so im digging it so far.

@LakeShow  Your teles are gorgeous! Glad to have you post them here!

Bumping this from the dead.

After about a year of jamming on one of those fender starter guitars, I decided to upgrade. Not looking to spend a lot since I'm still very new and not sure if this is something I'm going to give up in a few months.

Currently stuck between these two options that are within my budget:

Epiphone LP100 and Xaviere Xv500. Obviously the epiphone is a little more well known, but the Xaviere got pretty decent reviews from what I've read. The price difference is not too much, but I was curious if any nters can offer some advice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looking at those I'd say you might be better off with Epiphone, as Xaviere is really the copy cat sort of of Epiphone / Gibson.

Also, since you started on Fender models, you might want to look at maybe getting a Mexico made Fender Strat so you don't jump ship to a different style. Epiphones / Gibsons have different necks, different tones, and different characteristics. I think the Fender Strats start at about $350 or so, so it's a little more expensive, but might be worth it if you're enjoying guitar.

Love seeing this thread bumped.

Looking at those I'd say you might be better off with Epiphone, as Xaviere is really the copy cat sort of of Epiphone / Gibson.

Also, since you started on Fender models, you might want to look at maybe getting a Mexico made Fender Strat so you don't jump ship to a different style. Epiphones / Gibsons have different necks, different tones, and different characteristics. I think the Fender Strats start at about $350 or so, so it's a little more expensive, but might be worth it if you're enjoying guitar.

Love seeing this thread bumped.

Thanks man.

It was time for an upgrade as the fender was poorly made. The frets were sticking out on the neck so my fingers would continuously get cut up when I would slide back and forth on barre chords. I messed around with my friend's LP100 and really enjoy how it felt on my hands...which was sort of why i decided to get one myself.

Just wanted to make sure i got the "most bang for the buck" as i'm also looking to upgrade my amp was well. Found a few used Roland Microcubes for around $60 around my way..so was hoping i would be spending

Last edited:
Been trynna pick up some Bluegrass lately.

I love the way it sounds, it's so happy and relaxing. I feel like I'm on the side of a river on a summer day whenever I hear it.

A bit difficult to play though, gonna take me some time. Which is good. :smokin

Bumping this thread up:

man, having so much more fun after being able to play some simple jams. been playing pretty consistently and learning new jams on youtube (nirvana, RHCP, 90's music).

spizike231 spizike231 you were right man. The LP copy just didn't feel right on my hands. I was using it for about 2 months but found myself using my old cheap strat as of late.

Most likely going to go for a better strat in the next month or so. Any model you recommend for around $200-250 range?

Last edited:
Good to hear you're keeping at it, man. A lot of people quit before it gets to the fun part of being able to play what you like hearing.

I've been jamming a lot of Bluegrass and Blues lately like I posted above.

As far as a guitar for that price, I'd recommend strolling into Guitar Center and taking a look at their "used gear" wall. My Guitar Center has a smaller sized wall of used Electric Guitars. some of them can be a bit odd, but some are basic Telecasters and Stratocasters that people sell them. You might be able to find a Strat on there for that price range. Try going back a time or two on different days to see what someone might have just sold them. Hell, they may even sell them on their website, not sure.

Otherwise, I'd recommend you save that $250 and try to get $100 more on top of it to get a Fender Strat at around $350. You'll be happy you did, man.

Been playing a lot lately, the below video is NOT me (I wish), but this is the type of stuff I want to play and sing as of late. Strumming and timing is a b****, but I'm getting a little better as time goes on.

Shameless advertising. But on my Instagram I post guitar vids. Mostly me playing. If you do too, go ahead and post your IG and I'll follow.

Here's a vid.

Heck, even if you don't I'll still follow you lol

Last edited:
Bumping to say that I'm finally going to jumping from Acoustic world to Electric world in a month or two.. gf has already told me she's going to buy me a MIM Fender Stratocaster for my birthday. I gave her the rundown, color, specs, etc that I want. :pimp:

Gonna have to invest in a case, strap, pedals.. :smh:

Anywho, I'm getting a basic black Strat with a rosewood fretboard. I'll be saving up to swap the silver hardware out for gold, so that one day it'll look like this-

Adrian most likely knows whose guitar that is.. but honestly with the signature name aside I can't help but fall in love with how classy and elegant this looks.

Hope everyone is still playing. :nthat:

@spizike231
 thanks! I kinda was looking for stagecoach artist the other day to put me onto the scene :lol:  

Ill post this week my thoughts after listening to him.

Found my new favorite electric guitar strings 

Hands down the best ones ive used yet

Adrian how long do these strings last?

And how do they compare to the Fender Superbullets?

Gonna need to find "my" electric strings soon, not sure what to try first.
Getting a Mexi Strat btw.

Adrian how long do these strings last?

And how do they compare to the Fender Superbullets?

Gonna need to find "my" electric strings soon, not sure what to try first.
Getting a Mexi Strat btw.

I can only compare them to slinkys wince those are the ones I used

They're more expensive but they feel more agile and they last a very long time. Slinkys would give me 2-3 weeks of top notch feel and those about a solid month. Try them out.

Just picked back up my Epiphone DR-100 and in about a week I learned the E scale, E blues scale, and G (?) scale (the one that goes E3 A2 A3 D2 D4 etc).

I'm struggling with finding the proper melodies for soloing tho. Is there a really easy lick I can learn using those notes? Becauss I have no idea how to solo even tho I've come across a couple cool sounds when practicing scales

Also working on my ADE chord progression, the book I owned didn't tell me that replacing your middle with your index finger on the A chord makes everything easier since you can use the index as your "guide" throughout the progression

Still struggling with switching chords and avoiding fret buzz but my goal is to learn to solo and then learn those 4 chords that are in every popular song

Last edited:
Depending on the type of music you're playing, it's a bit difficult to really solo on an acoustic. I was doing it for 3 years trying to teach myself how to bend, and now that I have my Strat things are making much more sense.

Adrian might be able to help with the scale soloing more than I can, I've never had formal lessons for guitar and personally have never cared much for scales.

At the stage you're at, I'd suggest keep practicing chord progressions and building that muscle memory. I'm to the point that for the chords I know and learn, I don't even think about the shape of the chord anymore - just the letter of the chord I need to play. And then I play it.

But if you really wanna solo right now, go for it man.. look things up on YouTube for the scales you want or even learn new scales for acoustic soloing.

Depending on the type of music you're playing, it's a bit difficult to really solo on an acoustic. I was doing it for 3 years trying to teach myself how to bend, and now that I have my Strat things are making much more sense.

Adrian might be able to help with the scale soloing more than I can, I've never had formal lessons for guitar and personally have never cared much for scales.

At the stage you're at, I'd suggest keep practicing chord progressions and building that muscle memory. I'm to the point that for the chords I know and learn, I don't even think about the shape of the chord anymore - just the letter of the chord I need to play. And then I play it.

But if you really wanna solo right now, go for it man.. look things up on YouTube for the scales you want or even learn new scales for acoustic soloing.

Yeah man literally the only reason I picked guitar back up again was because I wanted to learn Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" (which is only 3 chords with the second repeated) but then I remembered that I didn't have the finger strength/dexterity/calluses for the most basic chord progressions :lol:

So I went back to ADE, got frustrated and picked up scales instead which were for some reason much easier to learn for me.

But then it turns out that practicing scales is a quick way to build finger strength and the required calluses on your left hand so chords are now much less difficult for me :lol:

So it's working out :lol:

Last edited:
Just picked back up my Epiphone DR-100 and in about a week I learned the E scale, E blues scale, and G (?) scale (the one that goes E3 A2 A3 D2 D4 etc).

I'm struggling with finding the proper melodies for soloing tho. Is there a really easy lick I can learn using those notes? Becauss I have no idea how to solo even tho I've come across a couple cool sounds when practicing scales

Also working on my ADE chord progression, the book I owned didn't tell me that replacing your middle with your index finger on the A chord makes everything easier since you can use the index as your "guide" throughout the progression

Still struggling with switching chords and avoiding fret buzz but my goal is to learn to solo and then learn those 4 chords that are in every popular song

I give guitar lessons. I can give an NT member a free skype lesson and I'll let you ask away and I'll show you what I do for soloing purposes.

congrats on the guitar! looks amazing and I dig the gold accents throughout it. Throw up a video for us sometime! We'd love to see how it sounds!

congrats on the guitar! looks amazing and I dig the gold accents throughout it. Throw up a video for us sometime! We'd love to see how it sounds!

Thanks Adrian. I’m late af and I know you saw my tuners and got a bit of hearing me play it on IG but I’ll see if I can get a video up in the thread soon.

Bumping thread also for any new players or people interested in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom