Official HDTV and HD Thread! Vol: 1080p > 720p > 1080i > 480p > 480i

Since HD and HDTV is slowly and finally becoming the norm, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread talking about what the technology is, whereit's going, and what brands/shows/media is the best.

Some quick FYI's...

HD Resolutions
The resolutions for HD are 1920x1080 (1080p/i), 1280x720 (720p)
EDTV's are NOT HD! They are only 852x480 (480p)

The p in 1080p and 720p stands for progressive video and is the best quality of picture you can have. The reason that it's the best is because each line insuccession is refreshed.
An example is lines 1,2,3,4,5... are refreshed in this order

The i in 1080i stands for interlaced video. Interlaced is exactly the opposite from progressive because every other line is refreshed.
An example would be line 1,3,5,7,9... Then lines 2,4,6,8,10... would be refreshed.

Here is a very good video for some more information...

HD Connections and Cable Types
The way you connect to an HDTV can determine what type of resolution you can display on the TV. The TV's native resolution can also determine what type ofresolution can be displayed.

The most common HD connections are (in order of picture/audio quality):
HDMI (Can display 1080p, 720p, 1080i, 480p, 480i). This digital cable carries both audio and video through just one cable.
DVI (Can display a variety of resolutions but is varied by TV, generally used for PC connections). This digital cable carries just video through the cable, butis usually attached with an audio cord similar to a PC audio cord.
Component (Can display 720p, 1080i, 480p, 480i, and SOME HDTV's support 1080p but this is very uncommon and rare). This analog cable carries both videothrough Red/Green/Blue and audio through Red/White.

Stay away from higher costing cables for HDMI and DVI. It is a digital cable, it either works or it doesn't. Monoprice.com is a very good site to purchasethese cables from.

HD Sources
There are many ways to receive HD.
You can get HD through just a regular antenna and pick up locals like ABC-HD, FOX-HD, NBC-HD, CBS-HD, and PBS-HD.
You can also subscribe to cable or satellite and use their DVR service and obtain cable channels in HD like ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, and Discovery-HD.
The Sony Playstation and Xbox 360 offer HD gaming and HD movies. The Playstation has a Blu-ray drive built-in, and the 360 has a HD-DVD add-on (discontinueddue to HD-DVD being discontinued) and HD movies through the Xbox Live Marketplace.

Blu-ray and HD-DVD both offer movies in 1080p, the highest resolution available. One of these along with a surround system and a quality TV, you will see whatHD was made for.

HD Displays
Some of the more common HDTV's now are LCD and Plasma flat panels. There is also DLP and projectors, use light and mirrors to project theirimage.

Pros and Cons of each...

LCD Pros
Variety of sizes
Resolution
Light weight
Energy consumption
No risk of Burn-in
PC Friendly

LCD Cons
Price for larger sizes
Limited viewing angle
Refresh problems with fast images

Plasma Pros
Superior picture quality vs LCD
Size (Generally 42" and up)
Price for size

Plasma Cons
Burn-in risk (Although newer panels are less prone to this, it is a technology issue)
Size (If you're looking for a smaller set than 42", good luck. There was a 37" available at one time)
Large glass panel
Weight
Energy usage and heat

DLP Pros
Larger Sizes
No Burn-in or refresh issues like Plasma and LCD
Easily repairable

DLP Cons
Size if you're looking for a smaller set
Bulb replacement, no bulb = no TV
Limited viewing angle

Some top brands to consider are: Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, Pioneer, LG, Westinghouse, JVC, and Vizio

I'll add more later... Hope this helps some people...

how's that Vizio treatin ya these days??
smh.gif

laugh.gif

you still have the Sony?

-J-

I was thinking about purchasing either a monitor or a T.V that supports 1080p. I think a lot of the 24+ inch monitors support 1080p and I've seen a few 32inch HDTV's that support 1080p as well.

What would be the better choice if I'm using it for both computer and television purposes?

I just want to inform people that regardless of what happens in 2009, A program will only be in HD if

A. You have a HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p)
B. You have HD cable/satellite service or a HD antenna
C. It's on a HD channel
D. The show was filmed with a HD camera and is broadcast in HD

Basically, the whole switchover to digital is meaningless, IMO.

Samsung HP-T4264
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Samsun-plasma-hpt4264.jpg

1080p = overrated unless you are sitting damn close to the TV. Everything is broadcast in 720p.

Originally Posted by JBug88

how's that Vizio treatin ya these days??
smh.gif

laugh.gif

you still have the Sony?

-J-

Shhhhhhhh...
laugh.gif

Don't hate! I sold the Sony to my mom's friend. It had a really bad clouding issue with dark scenes and my OCD couldn't take it anymore. Otherwisethe Sony was top notch.
Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

1080p > 720p...

IF Your set is 40" ++

Not necessarily. The added resolution can help any size of set. Is it worth it to pay extra on smaller 1080p sets vs 720p sets right now, probably not, butwith Blu-ray and other HD sources becoming more common, why not have a set that is capable of the best resolution possible.

Don't sleep on the JVC's either. I would say they are the best budget TV's available. Yes, even better than Vizio's money wise. They arepretty sexy looking too
pimp.gif

jvc-lt-42x688.jpg

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

Samsung HP-T4264
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

1080p = overrated unless you are sitting damn close to the TV. Everything is broadcast in 720p.

go back to work
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

yo can anyone recommend a good HDTV that also puts out decent quality in SD channels. the sony we got sucks when it comes to SD channels since there's onlya couple HD channels available.

also which provider has the most HD channels available right now? I got comcast and there's really just not that many if you take out the movie channelsand local channels.

Originally Posted by ludex360

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

Samsung HP-T4264
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

go back to work
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
, but I got a punk ___ 36" Olevia, but I haven't had anyproblems with it.

Sharp LC42D64U Checking in
smokin.gif

just got my Pioneer Elite 6010 delivered yesterday for the living room, will post pics at the end of the weekend after I cop a stand
smile.gif

Waddup nnarum, I see you a lot at AVS.
laugh.gif

My Sony KDL-46XBR2, Counldn't be more happier.

Image is off TNTHD. And Transformers HD + 1080P =
eek.gif
sick.gif
so disgustingly clear.

sonylw5.jpg
sony2tj3.jpg

i got a 37 in phillips 720p and couldnt be happier the basketball games are dope and so is GTA IV .. on top of that i also got a blu ray player and the moviesstill look nice

nnarum: distinct101.
nerd.gif

And anybody that is in love with A/V stuff needs to fiddle with this; I am never going back to juggling around 6 remotes.
sick.gif

logitech-harmony-one-remote.jpg

46" and Up is when you should factor 1080P. Anything below that is a waste of money.

1920 x 1080 plus Full Pixel is the best Resolution. Its disguting seeing a 42" Plasma and its max resolution is 1024 x 768.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by daprescription

Originally Posted by nnarum

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

1080p > 720p...

IF Your set is 40" ++

Not necessarily. The added resolution can help any size of set. Is it worth it to pay extra on smaller 1080p sets vs 720p sets right now, probably not, but with Blu-ray and other HD sources becoming more common, why not have a set that is capable of the best resolution possible.

not really. i have a 42" 1080p television. have watched spiderman 3 in both 720p and 1080p and can not see a difference. 1080p is a waste unless you get over 50 or sit 3 feet from it.

I disagree though. Chances are with the smaller set, you are going to be sitting closer than you would with a larger set. You would see a difference on atrue 1080p source like a Blu-ray or using your PC on it. The PC would be the more valuable though IMO. Like I said before, is it worth it right now? No, buteventually 1080p will be the standard for any set, until something else comes along, and IMO added resolution is always a plus. I can tell the difference, butthat's just me.

On a side note, how the hell can you have a Kobe avy and Warriors sig?!
nerd.gif

And another sidenote, IMO "HD" Plasmas with native resolutions of 1024x768 are not HD. HD is considered 1 or more million pixels. 786432 pixels fallshort.

I <3 my 37" Toshiba Regza. HD Channels and PS3 look unreal..No probs after 1 yr and SD channels are nice as well, highly recommended..

Back
Top Bottom