**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

Peeking back in here.. probably have listened to this album front to back more than 30 times... still finding something new.. try to avoid sites like rap genius because i like discovering the gems myself.. This album is PERFECT..I don't say that too often..First listen is already going down in music history for me as a moment i wont forget.. Loving this more and more with every subsequent listen.. Let me just stop right there, "Momma" just came on... :smokin

If you're not from Compton this album is not for you.

If you're not from Los Angeles this album is not for you.

This album was made by Kendrick specifically for Angelinos.

You outsiders can't understand the struggle we face out here so don't even try.

not srs

Not an LA native but I must say that this album is soooo LA! Living here and this being my second home I can relate to everything on this album. Even the slang on "Hood Politics" young gang members refer to rival gangs or weaker people as "boo boo" i can't begin to tell you how many times I hear " On the dead homies" .... CLASSIC ALBUM!

After listening to this for two weeks now I've came to the conclusion that this is one of the greatest rap albums ever.

This is in the same conversation as Reasonable Doubt, Illmatic, Aquemini, etc.

Finally, we 80's babies got a ***** who made an album that equated to that level of musical "artistry."

This will Prolly NEVER happen and it's quite heartbreaking on one note, and totally unsurprising on the other. There will Prolly NEVER be a progressive convo about race and I feel like this album was made to create that type of dialogue, but the same thing that has happened pretty much for a 100 years is happenin once again.

White people can NEVER be excluded from anything in this country, they won't allow it for one second, and it's pretty ironic. They've separated themselves from all groups with their activities and they intergrate at a pace to their liking, but they feel as if they can infiltrate any aspect of a culture they like. This thread CLEARLY depicts that.

Don't think because someone listens to Kendrick or NaS that they are any different. While there are some exceptions, which we'be seen in this thread, there's also that stat quo which we've aslo seen in this thread.

If someone can Honestly listen to this album and not feel the unapologetically black tone, and the fact that at this time, this is what blacks needed not only as hip hop fans But as a community and diaspora is simply being naive. Nothing more NOTHING less.

True anyone can enjoy it, of course it is after all black music and history shows that people of ALL backgrounds have always liked our music. Damn near every genre of music America has known has roots within black culture, and I don't believe in coincidence.

But this, it was made for EVERYbody sentiment just bothers me. Blake Shelton isn't making music for people in my neighborhood, let's be honest. He isn't. And recognizing that or pointing it out doesn't make someone racist or bad, it's simply fact. Miranda Lambert and Lauryn Hill don't make music for the same women. They just don't. That doesn't mean someone in a the hood can't enjoy country music or someone in the country can't enjoy hip hop. My dad is an African, came to America in 81, and he used to LOVE that country line dancing show that used to come on in the mid 90s. It was like a country Soul Train.

But this album is just Kendrick channeling the spirits of our ancestors and saying to America how we feel and how we've felt for some time now. Of course it's healthy for people of ALL races to hear and understand this album because it can improve race releations, but I don't think we as blacks have the burden of proof. The world has seen what has been done to Black America by White America and we're not the first, only or last group this will be done to.

This album is about valuing BLACK life. Improving BLACK life. Don't confuse that. You may not care. Maybe your here for the beats. Maybe you're here to help US fight. Maybe you're here to pick our brain. Either way you're here, that's good. But moving forward, where do we go from here, this is MORE than music, this is a survival Manuel for US. Of course that's gonna bother some people, but who cares.

If it was us to me this album never wouldve been made, but 400 years of hatred is what authored this album. Lack of resources in our neighborhoods authored this album. Colirism authored this album. Racism authored this album. Neglect authored this album. Injustice authored this album. Police brutality authored this album. Slavery authored this album. Jim Crow authored this album.

"This is generational hatred"

Last edited:
This will Prolly NEVER happen and it's quite heartbreaking on one note, and totally unsurprising on the other. There will Prolly NEVER be a progressive convo about race and I feel like this album was made to create that type of dialogue, but the same thing that has happened pretty much for a 100 years is happenin once again.
Explain to me how exactly jumping in here calling people 'Jim Carrey' and making racial stereotypes creates the environment for this conversation you want to have.

It's a two way street. You can't tell people 'this is for us, not y'all and then complain that people aren't engaging in an adult conversation with you.

If it was us to me this album never wouldve been made, but 400 years of hatred is what authored this album. Lack of resources in our neighborhoods authored this album. Colirism authored this album. Racism authored this album. Neglect authored this album. Injustice authored this album. Police brutality authored this album. Slavery authored this album. Jim Crow authored this album.
Agreed 100%...but you've got to be more inclusive and less immature with your delivery if you want to engage in that discussion as equals and not as you speaking at everyone.

Last edited:

White people can NEVER be excluded from anything in this country, they won't allow it for one second, and it's pretty ironic. They've separated themselves from all groups with their activities and they intergrate at a pace to their liking, but they feel as if they can infiltrate any aspect of a culture they like. This thread CLEARLY depicts that.

Don't think because someone listens to Kendrick or NaS that they are any different. While there are some exceptions, which we'be seen in this thread, there's also that stat quo which we've aslo seen in this thread.

If someone can Honestly listen to this album and not feel the unapologetically black tone, and the fact that at this time, this is what blacks needed not only as hip hop fans But as a community and diaspora is simply being naive. Nothing more NOTHING less.

True anyone can enjoy it, of course it is after all black music and history shows that people of ALL backgrounds have always liked our music. Damn near every genre of music America has known has roots within black culture, and I don't believe in coincidence.

But this, it was made for EVERYbody sentiment just bothers me. Blake Shelton isn't making music for people in my neighborhood, let's be honest. He isn't. And recognizing that or pointing it out doesn't make someone racist or bad, it's simply fact. Miranda Lambert and Lauryn Hill don't make music for the same women. They just don't. That doesn't mean someone in a the hood can't enjoy country music or someone in the country can't enjoy hip hop. My dad is an African, came to America in 81, and he used to LOVE that country line dancing show that used to come on in the mid 90s. It was like a country Soul Train.

But this album is just Kendrick channeling the spirits of our ancestors and saying to America how we feel and how we've felt for some time now. Of course it's healthy for people of ALL races to hear and understand this album because it can improve race releations, but I don't think we as blacks have the burden of proof. The world has seen what has been done to Black America by White America and we're not the first, only or last group this will be done to.

This album is about valuing BLACK life. Improving BLACK life. Don't confuse that. You may not care. Maybe your here for the beats. Maybe you're here to help US fight. Maybe you're here to pick our brain. Either way you're here, that's good. But moving forward, where do we go from here, this is MORE than music, this is a survival Manuel for US. Of course that's gonna bother some people, but who cares.

dog will you please shutup.
like, what do you want?
would you like it if Whites completely swore off this album?
or if the ones that already heard it pretended that they didn't?
you keep clamoring for them to understand our struggle......they can't and won't.
Even brother Malcom realized acceptance among human kind while still retaining a sense of self-pride.
you constantly in here pouting like some broad.
go get a tissue, realize that the revolution isn't going to start on NikeTalk, and stop being a bigoted herb.

Big Quint is great 
roll.gif

I'm the only white dude in my hood and nobody coming at me when they hear me pull up with "blacker the berry" knockin.
This album needs to be heard in the suburbs too, my dude.

I am Asian, Hmong to be exact and before this album, I thought of this. With TPAB being released, Kendrick is truly aiming his message towards Black humanity. The great thing about Kendrick's skill is that its so universally sound that people of all race can say, "It's made for me", but truly, it's geared towards Blacks and hopefully awakening for Blacks, that Kendrick has spent 3 years in the making for. But again, I myself being Asian, No, this album isn't made for me and my race but I am a huge fan of kendrick Lamar and I love his artistry. 

Last edited:
After sitting with this.. I can't stop listening.

I'm in awe of how well every single track fits together and how important to the album every single song is. Can't listen to just one song. I have to listen to the whole album straight through.

Reading seems to be an issue for some.

Maybe that's why these problems exist.

And if you in NY hit me up, there's a clothing drive this weekend in the Bronx.

Just Listenin to Kendrick ain't gonna heal the hood. So I'm hoping I see a few of y'all

Last edited:
But how can you have a conversation if you're excluding those people you want to discuss it with? We get it...we get what the album was about who it was made by, who's perspective it's coming from and who it's geared toward. No one is disagreeing with you.

But you're complaining that we can't have a discussion when you're just pouting and excluding people who need to take part in the discussion.

Or is this a discussion that should take place between only blacks?

I don't understand how people don't like King Kunta, can't wait till my car out the shop so I can bump it in the whip today. The video looks like it's gonna be dope, love that West Coast scenery

But how can you have a conversation if you're excluding those people you want to discuss it with? We get it...we get what the album was about who it was made by, who's perspective it's coming from and who it's geared toward. No one is disagreeing with you.

But you're complaining that we can't have a discussion when you're just pouting and excluding people who need to take part in the discussion.

Or is this a discussion that should take place between only blacks?

Who's excluding anyone?
I was stating the fact.
look at the cover. If it was vice versa, a bunch of shirtless rednecks on the white house lawn with a black judge possibly dead while they had the time of their lives. Would you need someone to tell you that this album just MIGHT be speaking to rednecks? Is that difficult to understand?

Complexion, Blacker The Berry, King Kunta? If it's not clear he has an agenda throughout this album I don't know what to tell you.

Bruce Springstein's "born in the USA" was for his American fans was it not. That doesn't mean someone in England can't appreciate it.

If me calling someone Jim Carey or suggesting that white people go to Starbucks and ride bikes, is considered bad or bigoted maybe we should trade places. White people get killed in the street by police like dogs. Have an inhuman incarceration rate. Have their culture erased. Have their identity Danny near erased.live in communities with a lack of resources, healthy food, quality education, and health care.

If me calling a white guy Jim Carey in a joking matter is enuff to turn someone off from a progressive convo, they NEVER wanted to have one in the first place.

Nothing I said should offend you or anyone else as much as what's REALLY goin on. Don't lose sight of that

And this is a convo and issue black people need to address amungst one another. Just like Kendrick made the statement in Billboard about WE can't except THEM to respect US if WE don't respect one another. So yes it does start with the black community 1st Cause black white unitiy isn't gonna save the inner city, BLACK unity will.

Malcolm said it 50 years ago. We can't have black-white unity until we have black unity. And here we are 50 years later with neither. With no sign of improvement.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom