**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

Edited and repped . 

Wasn't my favorite project but I def. did enjoy it. 
When I re-up on my reps, I got you.
Now you know Fab corny self is gonna do it next.
Almost spilled cereal on my laptop 
roll.gif

Don't tell me they got you on some weirdo rap ****,
No socks and skinny jeans and ****

I could see Drake having an interview with Aaliyah or Jay Z

3rd hip hop album to ever win album of the year at the Grammys???? I think this will reach that level.

Got a 10 from Anthony
Well damn. Has he ever gave an album a 10?

Daaaamn,dude doesn't just give out 10's for any old album. Guess it shouldn't be too surprising since he usually gives Kendricks albums good scores,gkmc got a 9,but still that says something.

I want a Kendrick/D'Angelo collab. 
:nthat:  :nthat:  :nthat:

QFT. They would've both fit in perfectly on each others albums,a Kendrick verse on Black Messiah would've been perfect and D'angelo on here would've set it off even more imo.

Album gets better and better with each spin. Played 3 times but I'm gonna wait till the hard copy comes out and play it again.

So is the physical album still set to release on the 23rd?

I think they ended up releasing it right after it leaked because it's been at most music stores around my way since the start of the week,bout to go cop my copy during lunch.

Last edited:
If stores have received it, they were told to put it out. A lot of stores don't have them yet. $13.99 too. Not even $10 first week price.

My favorite thing about this album is that its everything people expect out of Kendrick but not what you expected as an album.

Thats what makes it so sweet IMO tho.

Its not trap, its not drake, (im a fan of both btw) its unapologetically black and a look into what happens when a good kid finds himself in a mad industry. Its got flows, its got lyrics, maybe the beats arent what you wanted but the symmetry from an artistic standpoint is undeniable.

One of the best things about the most prevelant rappers of this millenial generation is that because the music industry isnt doing "football numbers" and a major label doesnt guarantee success, they have the artistic freedom to create complete bodies of work and not worry about the single, the club hit, the love song; complete album creation that reigned in the 80s early 90s but seemed to stop during the mid90s with the prominent rappers that dominated my generation... (Some fell thru the cracks)

Some will like it, some will hate it, others wont understand it but one thing is for certain, to keep the balance of the rap game an album of this nature is essential.

Thats just my 2 cents...

Very important point.

Not many artists are like Kendrick but with a majority of artists - you see a conscious effort to make something for everyone. To appeal to the mainstream and to all different kinds of crowds. Random collabs. A couple "radio" attempts. It gets to the point where only a handful of songs are truly what that artist envisioned for the album.

Whether you hate this album or not, it's extremely refreshing to see someone stick to a concept from top to bottom and make something that's completely unapologetic. There's no break from the story. Personally, that's what I think an album should be. A cohesive body of work with concepts, themes, and a defined sound. Not everyone will love this but the more freedom and success an artist like Kendrick gets - the better for music in general. Artists need more freedom to create what they want to create. Instead of trying to create what they think people want to hear. There's a difference. This is a step towards that.

The Lupe talk is interesting because that's a guy that had big success early then got absolutely SHACKLED by his label. For better or for worse, he wasn't allowed to create what he wanted to create freely. Maybe we would've got a T&Y level project years ago if the industry was similar to how it is now.

I think I'm forcing this album on myself. I've heard it five times since Monday and the only tracks I genuinely enjoy are Alright, Blacker the Berry, Mortal Man, maybe i and Complexion. This is guaranteed to sound lazy, but it just feels so exhausting to be listening so damn closely to every line, trying to find meaning. To quote the Grantland article again, it feels like homework. This thing is dense to a fault.

I need to give it a rest. I genuinely would rather listen to the Drake record at this point. I'll come back refreshed in a couple weeks and give it another spin.

Again, I almost can't accept the reality of disliking an album that 1. I've anticipated for this long, 2. is from an artist who I respect this much and 3. is this widely acclaimed by critics -- including NT's bald-headed enemy, Anthony Fantano (10/10).

I feel like to truly appreciate all of this album you have to be black. Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't come off wrong. Talked about this with others too and they seemed to agree. 

It might come down to this.

To quote the classic NT line, "I'm white, if it matters."

Just came in here to say that I am severely disappointed in this album. After 4 listens, I kept 5 songs. I get what he was doing with that album with the content, but idk just not feeling it at all through a music standpoint.

GKMC was one of the best albums I ever heard, but this here is just :smh:

Last edited:
Got a 10 from Anthony
Well damn. Has he ever gave an album a 10?

Only to The Money Store by Death Grips and To Be Kind by Swans. Neither of which I really expect NT to be familiar with. I tried both, could get into DG but not into Swans.

This score goes out to everyone who complains when I embed a Needle Drop review into a thread. Also, this quote from him at the end:

"The people who might have gravitated towards trendier sounds on GKMC might take a bite of this record and just say 'yuck' instantaneously. To some of those people, I might say try listening to a rap record before 2010. Other people might have beef with this album being so dense and lengthy and being so difficult to trudge through if you’re not enjoying every single track on this album. The songs on here do require quite a bit of attention.“

I don't know if I'll ever consider Butterfly a 9 or 10, but I liked the intent of what he said here.

Back
Top Bottom