**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

I'm not gona sit here and argue about opinions ar what an album should mean to someone else. I do however have a response to those who continue to say the album is Dense, it's too much going on & the need to have to study the work etc tec to understand it. While i agree this sin't something that can be fully digested off a few half *** listens, i then refer to my own personal sentiment that, this is how an album should be.

There is no reason an "artist" should drop art that is being digested understood and consumed immediately. It would in essence make it what about 70% of music is becoming today, it would be disposable, it would be murmuring, it wouldnt be anything to last the test of time. What Both Kendrick & Lupe have done with their albums are force listeners into paying attention and looking for details in music. We have all gotten too comfortable in entertainment without any substance at all.

It seems like everything these days is at a base level and melody driven, simply structured with relatable sounds and flows. It has become almost second nature to hear music kind of as a background element rather than the main focus. This album forces you to either pay full attention or be lost, a aspect that is needed for rap listeners to really comprehend the agendas an artist like Kendrick paints.

Well said

I probably wouldn't even download a Cole and Kendrick album. I hope that never happens. Way too many collabs and fake friendliness in rap. I would rather see Kendrick beef with him than record with him.
 J Cole is definition of an average rapper, nothing special imo. Too many people get caught up in substance. Just because an artist speaks on issues or raps positively doesn't mean they're good at making songs.

This album needs more than one listen to catch it. First listen I didn't feel it; put on Kendrick Lamar EP, and notice the growth. Now this album is beautiful. Gives me the same good vibes like when I listen to Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder or Otis. Amazing mood music.

Why does Kendrick have to boxed in to be a goddamn rapper? He's an artist. He combined elements of early 90s hip hop and made it into a album of self reflection, empowerment of one's self, and HONESTY....which 99% of these mainstream rappers don't have. If this album didn't touch your soul, it's cool, but I was able to relate to the human struggles that Kendrick was talking about on this LP.

On a side note, this is the problem with today's hip hop. Everyone is expected to rap over the same beats with the same flows with the sane boring concepts. There's no real artistry except for a few rappers like Lupe, Joey Badass, and K Dot.
The irony.

Then you omit rappers who've been doing the same **** as Kendrick for years. That's my problem with a lot of Kendrick fans, dudes act like he's bringing something revolutionary to the table when he's far from the first to do it.

Maybe it's a novelty on the west coast, but that conscious **** been floating around for years. When it comes to rappers out west I can only think of Ice Cube who did it similar, but even in his case Cube made it so a lot of people could relate. Then came Ras Kass who I think is ******* brilliant on the mic.

I remember white dudes walking around with Lethal Injection shirts back in the day...and he never shied away from giving it to you straight with no chaser. Where Kendrick is trying to do all this riddle ****, and the message is obscured when presented as so.

I agree with @Cragmatic

If another artist made this album y'all wouldn't give it the time of day.

Last edited:

One more thing and I'm out...

This is the same dude that gave us that verse on Control...
grin.gif

I've noticed here lately some dudes think they're too smart for hip hop. I can deal with dense wordplay, and the turning of a good phrase like the next man, but this is not it.

I group this with Yeezus as another horrible attempt at transcending the genre so to speak.

Too much is going on, and not in a good way either.

I sat back the first day it leaked and refused to comment until I could fully grasp what was going on...
mean.gif

I posted on here about him being scared to release this album, and now I see why he was shook. I've never been more disappointed in a rapper...
mean.gif

Y'all can have this ****.

Edit-

The only time a hip hop albums gets mad love is when its fused with some other genre of music, and the lines are blurred between what it's supposed to actually be.

In this case you have so many different elements that take it away from hip hop, and I know jazz & funk have their roots in hop hop, but come on...

These are the same critics who praised Yeezus...
Also, remember, Illmatic wasn't exactly an instant win either. 
What?!
roll.gif

You clearly are misinformed with that claim. How old were you on April 19, 1994? Illmatic was given 5 mics from the Source (when their rating system had merit) and was considered an instant classic by everyone and anyone in the culture and music critics as well.

I'm surprised people are acting like this is on some Aesop Rock, weird underground, unlistenable type stuff. As dense as the album is, there's a couple hard songs, a couple very smooth songs. Stuff that you can just listen to without paying attention. You Ain't Gotta Lie, Complexion, Alright, Hood Politics stand out as those sort of tracks.

What rapper from this generation can make something like this? What rapper right now can make songs like Blacker Than Berry, How Much A Dollar Cost or Mortal Man. Nobody has said Kendrick is the first rapper to make music like this. There's plenty of rappers during the 90's that was on **** like this but as far this era nobody is doing it.

Why does Kendrick have to boxed in to be a goddamn rapper? He's an artist. He combined elements of early 90s hip hop and made it into a album of self reflection, empowerment of one's self, and HONESTY....which 99% of these mainstream rappers don't have. If this album didn't touch your soul, it's cool, but I was able to relate to the human struggles that Kendrick was talking about on this LP.

On a side note, this is the problem with today's hip hop. Everyone is expected to rap over the same beats with the same flows with the sane boring concepts. There's no real artistry except for a few rappers like Lupe, Joey Badass, and K Dot.
The irony.

Then you omit rappers who've been doing the same **** as Kendrick for years. That's my problem with a lot of Kendrick fans, dudes act like he's bringing something revolutionary to the table when he's far from the first to do it.

Maybe it's a novelty on the west coast, but that conscious **** been floating around for years. When it comes to rappers out west I can only think of Ice Cube who did it similar, but even in his case Cube made it so a lot of people could relate. Then came Ras Kass who I think is ******* brilliant on the mic.

I remember white dudes walking around with Lethal Injection shirts back in the day...and he never shied away from giving it to you straight with no chaser. Where Kendrick is trying to do all this riddle ****, and the message is obscured when presented as so.

I agree with @Cragmatic

The same folks who were talking down on others for "not thinking" or "only liking trap beats"

You're starting to sound just like them from the other end of the spectrum.
yeshrug.png

some of ya'll waste too much time trying to justify in your mind why someone ELSE likes something or why someone doesn't get/appreciate something.

Last edited:
Please don't compare this to Yeezus. The content alone on this album elevates it.
I'm not calling it a classic or anything like that but this album delievered in every sense of the word imo.
We needed this and Kendrick is the only mainstream artist that could deliver an album like this that will reach the masses.

this.

yeezus was a complete opposite of what album should b

there was not "music" it was just sonic cocaine

now kendrick is taking beautiful jazz music and rappping over it

two totally different concepts

I think Yeezus got trashed by everyone cause it was really a haphazard work by Ye. No cohesiveness, the subject matter was all over the place and coming off MBDTF it was so far the other way that many were taken a back and downright disgusted.

At it's very core TPAB is still authentic Kendrick, just a more thoughtful, mature, and different sound.

I literally had no idea who that guy was on Yeezus but it wasn't Ye.

I agree with @Cragmatic

Funny thing is that's exactly the point; what other artists now days are making albums like TPAB? That was my problem with Drake's recent album, you pretty much knew exactly what you were gonna get, it was the exact same cookie cutter beats and "i'll take your girl, I have a bunch of money" raps we always hear. If more mainstream hip hop artists made albums like TPAB then you're right we probably wouldn't give this album the time of the day.

I think Yeezus got trashed by everyone cause it was really a haphazard work by Ye. No cohesiveness, the subject matter was all over the place and coming off MBDTF it was so far the other way that many were taken a back and downright disgusted.

At it's very core TPAB is still authentic Kendrick, just a more thoughtful, mature, and different sound.

I literally had no idea who that guy was on Yeezus but it wasn't Ye.

the guy on yeezus was kanye at the time. dude was in so much turmoil i feel like that was him letting out his frustrattoins and letting the world know he can do whatever he wants, like put out an album that doesnt follow any of the standard musical "laws" and still be amazing.

I agree with @Cragmatic

Funny thing is that's exactly the point; what other artists now days are making albums like TPAB? That was my problem with Drake's recent album, you pretty much knew exactly what you were gonna get, it was the exact same cookie cutter beats and "i'll take your girl, I have a bunch of money" raps we always hear. If more mainstream hip hop artists made albums like TPAB then you're right we probably wouldn't give this album the time of the day.

bruh dont eem knock drakes album that album was pure amazing

I'll say it again...

The only time a hip hop album gets mad praise is when it's not really hip hop anymore, and the critics latch on to it because it's something different for the genre.

I don't look at the beats on Drake's mix tape as being cookie cutter; just because a dude throws in a mix of jazz and funk doesn't mean it's good.

Hip hop was always about having fun, partying and the like, and I've read where people say the times of today call for an album like this.

PE made music that you could vibe with, and the message was there. But it was also fun music.

I can't vibe with this.

Thought you were leaving the thread. There's no set definition or what hip hop is. There have been way too many different eras where the sound and content has changed.

TPAB is no less hip hop than GKMC or Drake's album or anything else released this year. Just because YOU don't mess with it doesn't mean that others won't and can find deep meaning as well in it. There's people that were trashing IYRTITL because it was the same old same old. God forbid someone try something a little bit different from what's the norm.

Drake is just doing what's going to make him money at the end of the day. He's already proven he can do this incense burning India Arie soul child type music (Drake - Think Good Thoughts).

I'll say it again...

The only time a hip hop album gets mad praise is when it's not really hip hop anymore, and the critics latch on to it because it's something different for the genre.

I don't look at the beats on Drake's mix tape as being cookie cutter; just because a dude throws in a mix of jazz and funk doesn't mean it's good.

Hip hop was always about having fun, partying and the like, and I've read where people say the times of today call for an album like this.

PE made music that you could vibe with, and the message was there. But it was also fun music.

I can't vibe with this.

Drake is biting off of Future and Migos all over that tape, you can rock with that?

Last edited:
The comment about hip hop only getting high praise when its not hip-hop anymore is truly a fair statement no matter what side your on in regards to Kendrick's album, but it may be more suitable to say "rap" in place of "hip-hop".

Thats why it will be nominated and possibly win Grammy Album of the year.

I say that because of the jazz and funk elements and lack of traditional(in recent times) hip-hop sound.

Back
Top Bottom