**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

I'm not gona sit here and argue about opinions ar what an album should mean to someone else. I do however have a response to those who continue to say the album is Dense, it's too much going on & the need to have to study the work etc tec to understand it. While i agree this sin't something that can be fully digested off a few half *** listens, i then refer to my own personal sentiment that, this is how an album should be.

There is no reason an "artist" should drop art that is being digested understood and consumed immediately. It would in essence make it what about 70% of music is becoming today, it would be disposable, it would be murmuring, it wouldnt be anything to last the test of time. What Both Kendrick & Lupe have done with their albums are force listeners into paying attention and looking for details in music. We have all gotten too comfortable in entertainment without any substance at all.

It seems like everything these days is at a base level and melody driven, simply structured with relatable sounds and flows. It has become almost second nature to hear music kind of as a background element rather than the main focus. This album forces you to either pay full attention or be lost, a aspect that is needed for rap listeners to really comprehend the agendas an artist like Kendrick paints.

D'Angelo, Andre 3K, and Ms. Badu collaborations need to be in the works man.

D'Angelo, Andre 3K, and Ms. Badu collaborations need to be in the works man.
That'd be 
eek.gif

I still wanna see a Cole and Kendrick album.

"I appreciate it more than I like it" is spot on for me. I love what he did on this conceptually. IMO this is the album he needed to make, I feel like as a artist it shows how he's grown artistically and has more depth than GKMC. Pac is the best rap artist to touch a mic to me so I definitely feel the Pac stuff too.

Sonically, like on a pure music level I don't really feel this is for me. Maybe I need more listens Idk. It's kinda frustrating I really wanna like this **** because I feel what it's about but I just can't :\. It has nothing to do with how dense it is either, Tetsuo and Youth is like a ******* puzzle and that's my favorite album so far this year :lol:

Some of y'all ****** in here are for real clowns tho, acting like you must listen to Flocka 24/7 if you not feeling this :lol:

One more thing and I'm out...

This is the same dude that gave us that verse on Control...
grin.gif

I've noticed here lately some dudes think they're too smart for hip hop. I can deal with dense wordplay, and the turning of a good phrase like the next man, but this is not it.

I group this with Yeezus as another horrible attempt at transcending the genre so to speak.

Too much is going on, and not in a good way either.

I sat back the first day it leaked and refused to comment until I could fully grasp what was going on...
mean.gif

I posted on here about him being scared to release this album, and now I see why he was shook. I've never been more disappointed in a rapper...
mean.gif

Y'all can have this ****.

Edit-

The only time a hip hop albums gets mad love is when its fused with some other genre of music, and the lines are blurred between what it's supposed to actually be.

In this case you have so many different elements that take it away from hip hop, and I know jazz & funk have their roots in hop hop, but come on...

These are the same critics who praised Yeezus...

Last edited:
I'm not gona sit here and argue about opinions ar what an album should mean to someone else. I do however have a response to those who continue to say the album is Dense, it's too much going on & the need to have to study the work etc tec to understand it. While i agree this sin't something that can be fully digested off a few half *** listens, i then refer to my own personal sentiment that, this is how an album should be.

There is no reason an "artist" should drop art that is being digested understood and consumed immediately. It would in essence make it what about 70% of music is becoming today, it would be disposable, it would be murmuring, it wouldnt be anything to last the test of time. What Both Kendrick & Lupe have done with their albums are force listeners into paying attention and looking for details in music. We have all gotten too comfortable in entertainment without any substance at all.

It seems like everything these days is at a base level and melody driven, simply structured with relatable sounds and flows. It has become almost second nature to hear music kind of as a background element rather than the main focus. This album forces you to either pay full attention or be lost, a aspect that is needed for rap listeners to really comprehend the agendas an artist like Kendrick paints.

View media item 482880

I personally would NOT want to see a Cole and Kendrick album. 

I enjoy listening to both but the vibes are drastically different, at least for me. 

Also, remember, Illmatic wasn't exactly an instant win either. So Im going to let that simmer. 

And about people saying this = Yeezus, transcending a genre? Since when have funk and soul NOT been incorporated?

Last edited:
Mix of the Samples used on this album.

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly ( The Samples ) @GianniLee x @MikeBlud 

1. Boris Gardiner - Every N***er Is A Star (Wesley's Theory)
2. Mausberg - Get Nekkid (King Kunta)
3. Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal (King Kunta)
4. James Brown - The Payback (King Kunta)
5. Lalah Hathaway - On Your Own (Momma)
6. Sufjan Stevens - All For Myself (Hood Politics)
7. Cold Grits - It's Your Thing (Blacker The Berry)
8. Detroit Emeralds - You're Getting A Little Too Smart (You Aint Gotta Lie)
9. Isley Brothers - That Lady (i)
10. Houston Person - I No Get Eye For Back (Mortal Man)

Im reading all yall talking bout great albums in the last few months and aint NO ONE mentioning B4.Da. $$ by Joey Bad***** :x :smh:

Thats my 2nd fav album of the year so far

Anyways back to Kendrick, Mortal Man has grown on me as my fav song. Complexion is my least fav but its place on the album is absolutely perfect

This is the same dude that gave us that verse on Control...>D

I've noticed here lately some dudes think they're too smart for hip hop. I can deal with dense wordplay, and the turning of a good phrase like the next man, but this is not it.

I group this with Yeezus as another horrible attempt at transcending the genre so to speak.

Too much is going on, and not in a good way either.

I sat back the first day it leaked and refused to comment until I could fully grasp what was going on...:smh:

I posted on here about him being scared to release this album, and now I see why he was shook. I've never been more disappointed in a rapper...:smh:

Y'all can have this ****.
Why does Kendrick have to boxed in to be a goddamn rapper? He's an artist. He combined elements of early 90s hip hop and made it into a album of self reflection, empowerment of one's self, and HONESTY....which 99% of these mainstream rappers don't have. If this album didn't touch your soul, it's cool, but I was able to relate to the human struggles that Kendrick was talking about on this LP.

On a side note, this is the problem with today's hip hop. Everyone is expected to rap over the same beats with the same flows with the sane boring concepts. There's no real artistry except for a few rappers like Lupe, Joey Badass, and K Dot.

Im reading all yall talking bout great albums in the last few months and aint NO ONE mentioning B4.Da. $$ by Joey Bad*****
sick.gif
mean.gif

Thats my 2nd fav album of the year so far

Anyways back to Kendrick, Mortal Man has grown on me as my fav song. Complexion is my least fav but its place on the album is absolutely perfect
I almost feel ashamed for forgetting it. 
tired.gif

I have stanned Kendrick just as much as anyone else in this thread at some point. I own GKMC on vinyl. I want to see this album the way you all do but I just can't get into it. I do like King Kunta a lot, the Intro is dope, Alright is Alright, How much a dollar cost is dope. But most of these songs just aren't giving me any reason to come back to.

I'm glad you guys like it. But after a conversation I had with someone today, I'm realizing how many of you are prisoners of the moment and also only like this album because Kendrick made it. If Kendrick made Tetsuo and Youth, and Lupe made To Pimp A Butterfly nobody would like the album :rofl: If ANYONE in rap made this album besides Kendrick, people would not be thanging in like half of you are. But after this post I'll stop posting negativity about it. Maybe I'm being negative because Kendrick is one of my favorite rappers, and as much as I want to like this album, I just don't.

Back on the Lupe talk....

And you say Tesuo and Youth was whack huh.... :smh:

IDK how anyone in here who's a hip hop fan can listen to Mural and not like it.
Who in their right mind would say T&Y is a bad album? That's a damn great album to me. You gotta disregard some folk, some folk never happy.

Why does Kendrick have to boxed in to be a goddamn rapper? He's an artist. He combined elements of early 90s hip hop and made it into a album of self reflection, empowerment of one's self, and HONESTY....which 99% of these mainstream rappers don't have. If this album didn't touch your soul, it's cool, but I was able to relate to the human struggles that Kendrick was talking about on this LP.

On a side note, this is the problem with today's hip hop. Everyone is expected to rap over the same beats with the same flows with the sane boring concepts. There's no real artistry except for a few rappers like Lupe, Joey Badass, and K Dot.
Preach!!

I probably wouldn't even download a Cole and Kendrick album. I hope that never happens. Way too many collabs and fake friendliness in rap. I would rather see Kendrick beef with him than record with him.

Please don't compare this to Yeezus. The content alone on this album elevates it.
I'm not calling it a classic or anything like that but this album delievered in every sense of the word imo.
We needed this and Kendrick is the only mainstream artist that could deliver an album like this that will reach the masses.

Back
Top Bottom