Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

Originally Posted by bright nikes

K-Rod celebrating like he won the world series; hell you guys didn't even win the series.

I can't believe half the season has been played by Monday.

almost as bad as Russell Martin celebrating like he hit a walk HR in the World series after his HR in the 2nd inning of game 1.

Or acting like the Dodgers pitched the no-hitter after the last out of last night's game.

Ahh, your statement of 'Beltre Sucks' is a very convincing topic of argument. I'm a little bias because it was fun watching Beltre grow up as a Dodger and to bring him back would be a great PR move. He'd bring us more than DeWitt & LaRoche combined.
I suppose I have that same bias. I love Beltre, but a third baseman who makes more than 10 million a year and can't OPS over .800 is the lastthing that this team needs.

Went to todays game. Damn we need a batter badly. Our young players can't hit.
mad.gif
I can't imagine how jeff kent feels when he started off with a single and nobody couldn't bring him home. Then on the final inning Lonelycouldn't do nothing. I was really hoping to bring out the broom today.

If i had to make a trade, Kemp has to go. This dude swings at everything, you think hes trying to hit a pinata. I think DLowe pitch an awesome game, but justcouldn't get any run support. All we needed to is 2 runs to win. Or a least a double in the final inning. But nope.
I agree with ironman to stick with the young players, but as far as kemp goes, we could get a more experience player.
Heres a pic of the top of the second inning, I just enter the stadium cuz I was a pounding a 40 in the parking lot. Having a nice buzz
pimp.gif
But in the sun
indifferent.gif
killed my buzz.

I hope you're not serious.

The "young players" are all hitting better than Jeff Kent, Juan Pierre and whatever veterans we have.

Dodger fans need to realize that guys in their first full season aren't going to play like 10 year veterans. If you just let them play through it insteadof having washed up guys like Nomar or Kent in front of them then you're much better off.

Kemp sucks at actually playing baseball, yet somehow he could still hit 20 HR and steal 30 bases based on pure talent alone. Just imagine what happens when helearns how to play the game and learn the strike zone.

I don't really get why Dodger fans are so stupid. You can't look at the list of players on the DL to realize that signing veterans who aren'tbonafide stars is usually a crap shoot.

ironman, save me. Please, I feel like i'm on dodgers.com message boards.

laugh.gif
at this dudes negativity.

"Dodger fans are so stupid"

Get outta here man, forreals. Let each fan have an opinion of what he / she thinks about the team, its what makes each of us fans.

If you don't agree with it, then you don't agree with it. But don't try to belittle the fans because they're merely trying to state what theywant done with the team.

I guess that lose got to you too, huh.

I'm just saying If I had to make a trade. I'll go with kemp. YOu may disagree but thats who I think is a good bargaining chip. But we know they are notgoing to trade him.
I do see Kemp as a power hitter in the future. I'm just at aww when he swings at everything.

Lets meet up and then you could tell me how stupid I am. ok.

It's honestly not about agreeing or disagreeing.

He said this:

Our young players can't hit. image I can't imagine how jeff kent feels when he started off with a single and nobody couldn't bring him home.
then this:

If i had to make a trade, Kemp has to go. This dude swings at everything, you think hes trying to hit a pinata
then this:
but as far as kemp goes, we could get a more experience player.

But, according to this,Kemp sees more pitches per PA than Kent.

I'm not being negative, I'm just pointing out that if you listen to anything that Simers or Plaschke writethen you are selling yourself short of a whole lot of knowledge. As far as I see it, there's two ways this can go: play the youngsters and deal with thegrowing pains like say, the Rays, or replace youth with "experience" and end up like say, the Giants.

And I didn't mean it as a personal insult. I meant it as a general comment about all Dodger fans, and the front office and management. Sort of like Torresaying that Pierre will continue to play every day when Jones and Furcal come back. What sense does that make?

Its been the same $$*% for like the last 5 years now with this team. its annyoing now. no power bat this so called young great talent we got but no W's toshow for it.

For me it makes it hurt more when you look at times like the Rays and Dbacks who over the years people have said we have a better Farm system then those andthere young talent looking better then ours and in the playoff race.

we need a new GM BAD and RIGHT NOW. this team is built poor i agree with pacman in a sense you got a mix to much with Vets and young players. we arent going towin anytime soon so why bring in so many.

^ the difference IMO is that the Rays and D-Backs don't put players like Nomar and Pierre in front of their young players. When you think about it, Nomarblocked Loney, then LaRoche, in the same span of time Reynolds and Longoria were handed the job because their organization realized they were most talented andlet them go through their growing pains. We had Billingsley, the kid with the career ERA of 3.46, in the bullpen behind guys like Brett Tomko.

With our foundation of LaRoche, Kemp, Loney, Martin, Ethier and DeWitt we have a whole bunch of very solid players. The fan base and the front office need tosimply be patient. We have 6 very young position players who have already experienced success at the major league level. They're going to progress and allbecome very solid major leaguers. Martin is already arguably the best player in the league at his position, and if he's not, then he's close. Odds arewe get at least one 30 HR a year guy our of LaRoche, Kemp or Loney, and by the time those guys are entering their prime in a year or two, it will be time forthe Marlins to trade Hanley Ramirez.

Its been the same $$*% for like the last 5 years now with this team.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. The philosophy has changed the past 2 years, and the youth movement was chosen over trying to go all in andmaybe win a couple playoff games now.

PMAC is right, Kemp does not really know how to play baseball yet, but if he is doing what he is doing right now on raw talent alone, I will hold onto him. Plus he has speed, unless we are getting a super talented player like Matt Holliday (His numbers dip outside of Coors), I wouldn't give him up. I wouldrather wait for Bedard to hit the free agent market to pursue him. Derek Lowe is gone next year and word is that Bedard wants to stay on the West Coast.

A's - Can't afford him
Giants - I don't think they want to fish in the free agent pitcher pool ever again (Morris & Zito FTL!)
Angels - They don't need pitching.
Padres - Can't afford him
D'Backs - Have to resign Webb and Haren to long term deals
Mariners - They gave up the farm, I doubt they will let him walk away.
Dodgers - Let the purge begin: Lowe, Garciaparra and others will be off the books. Throwing money at a solid left handed pitcher is not a bad idea.

Think about the rotation: Penny, Bedard, Billingsley, Kuroda, Kershaw. Not bad.

We really haven't had a power bat since 2004, when Beltre had that monster year (48hr, 121rbi), before that we had Shawn Green, Gary Sheffield and MikePiazza. Jeff Kent had a 29hr season in 2005. Since then no one has hit more than 20 in a season (Nomar and JD Drew hit 20 in 2006, Kent had 20 in 2007).

For me it makes it hurt more when you look at times like the Rays and Dbacks who over the years people have said we have a better Farm system then those and there young talent looking better then ours and in the playoff race.

I love how everyone tries to point out the D'Backs and the Rays. It is like comparing apples to oranges. There are perks to being a big market team andthere are also cons. One con is that you can't dismantle an aging team and just rebuild and be awful. The Dodgers, along with the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox,Cubs, etc, do not have the "rebuilding" option. That is why you see these teams plugging in holes with bubble gum (Aging veterans).

It is no secret that the Dodgers are going with the "youth movement", aka "semi rebuilding", yet all you hear from Dodger fans is"I'm tired, I want to win". The Arizona Diamondbacks completely got rid of everyone after the 2003 season, and dipped to 51-111 in 2004. Theywere a sub .500 ballclub in 2005-2006 and their youngsters exceeded expectations last season. However, they are not a big market club that is constantly underthe microscope. The Dodgers would love to completely rebuild, but it is impossible, so instead we have mediocrity.

we need a new GM BAD and RIGHT NOW. this team is built poor i agree with pacman in a sense you got a mix to much with Vets and young players. we arent going to win anytime soon so why bring in so many.

A new GM isn't going to solve a damn thing. There are vets on the team and they fell apart. I've said this before, without Furcal thisteam is garbage. Shorstop has been our biggest black hole this season. Do you guys know that since Furcal went down 40+ games ago, the SS position only has 4rbi's. Hindsight is 20/20 and I am not going to change what I said previously. When Jason Schmidt was signed I praised the move since he only got 3years. When Andruw Jones got signed I praised the move since he only got signed for 2 years. Nomar has been a dissapointment, but after JD Drew bolted, therewas no choice but to give Nomar a 2 year deal. Our pitching is solid, and our bullpen is solid.

I would love to have Adrian Beltre back in a Dodger uniform. Too bad this isn't 2005-2007. Beltre has not lived up to his contract and we have moved onat that particular position with LaRoche and DeWitt. If we can somehow swing a deal that brings Beltre and Bedard for LaRoche/Ethier/Pitching prospects, itmight work. We will do Seattle a favor and pick up Beltre's hefty salary. There is nothing out there worth getting.

the difference IMO is that the Rays and D-Backs don't put players like Nomar and Pierre in front of their young players. When you think about it, Nomar blocked Loney, then LaRoche, in the same span of time Reynolds and Longoria were handed the job because their organization realized they were most talented and let them go through their growing pains. We had Billingsley, the kid with the career ERA of 3.46, in the bullpen behind guys like Brett Tomko.

They can afford to be completely awful. I pointed out the D'Backs already. The Rays have been awful, wait abysmal, before this season. Before this season they were a guaranteed 90+ loss team. If you want to know which teams could afford to suck, just look at average attendance. Drawing 30Kfans a night is solid for a franchise like the Rays and D'Backs, but is considered a bad night in Los Angeles or New York.

As soon as Dodger fans realize that this is not our year, the easier it will be. This team will be good though, if they keep it together. Nobody wants to sayit, but this team is rebuilding....er...."youth movement". I'm fine with that as a fan, I'm tired of mediocrity, if it takes sucking for acouple of seasons in order to get to the promised land, I am all for it.

Kershaw just threw a breaking ball that was just
sick.gif

Do you guys know that since Furcal went down 40+ games ago, the SS position only has 4 rbi's
eek.gif
laugh.gif
tired.gif

and i say we need a GM because maybe it would stop some of these horrible FA pick ups that we dont need. IE over paying for Pierre

Without Pierre in the lineup, we lose a whole different dynamic when he's not there.

For instance, Mr. Jason Repko batting lead off - dude had one of the worst nights of his life. He deserved that 5th strikeout
laugh.gif

News of Furcal waking up after the AAA stint with some pain in his back, they were planning to have him play in the Giants series. Damn this sucks.

Kershaw is pitching a nice game.

Game's tied now.

Kershaw and Martin have both had good games. So much for Kershaw picking up his first W.

laugh.gif
at the post game interview.

Jeff Kent's accent is just funny to me.

Then when Lyons asked him about is this game going to be the turning point, and he kinda answered around it.
laugh.gif

Good win though, that 6th inning killed us.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

laugh.gif
at the post game interview.

Jeff Kent's accent is just funny to me.

Then when Lyons asked him about is this game going to be the turning point, and he kinda answered around it.
laugh.gif

Good win though, that 6th inning killed us.

How in the world does he have an accent? Isn't he from Bellflower
laugh.gif

I can't wait until Torre finally decides to start all the young'ns
tongue.gif
Let them develop and get the experience.

And oh yeah, I was browsing at the schedule, and....... Why is there a day game this Friday?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Without Pierre in the lineup, we lose a whole different dynamic when he's not there.
I wouldn't call not having his .644 OPS a loss.

laugh.gif
@ this dude staying with negativity in his heart.

Alright, we already know the hate you have for Pierre runs very deep. But, if you were truly going to base it on his OPS alone how much we're going tomiss Pierre in that lineup is a shame. Just his work ethic alone motivates our young players day in and day out, his presence in the clubhouse being the firstone there to workout and the last one to leave, hell when he DOES get on base - it causes havoc for any pitcher on the mound. They know he's going to stealand they really can't do anything about it. How about 8 years in the league and this is his FIRST time on the DL, how do you think that translates as faras the dynamic he brings to the clubhouse?

Now with Raffy out even longer, and Torre shuffling leadoff hitters such as Jason Repko
laugh.gif
& Matt Kemp at the top of the order none of these guys aren't a goodlook batting first.
laugh.gif
and I gave up tryna help you updating thisthread, you have like a .001 updating percentage (UP)
sick.gif

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/rosenthal-angel.html[/h1]
[h1]Rosenthal: Angels Looking Into Holliday[/h1]
By Joe Pawlikowski [July 2 at 12:55pm CST]

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, residing in Orange County, California, are currently the second-worst run producers in the American League. That they have the second-best win percentage in the junior circuit is a testament to their superb pitching staff, led by John Lackey and his 1.44 ERA, though with about 40 fewer innings than most of the team's other starters.

They'd like to add a bat before the trading deadline, though there are a few problems with that. Take, for instance, Ken Rosenthal's report that they are interested in Rockies left fielder Matt Holliday. In order to fit him into the scheme, the Angels would have to somehow unload Gary Matthews Jr, who is owed $33 million from 2009 through 2011. That's not an easy proposition, considering the 2006 fluke is hitting just .239/.318/.361.

According to Rosenthal, this Matthews situation means that the Angels would have to go even further with their prospects and cash in order to make a deal. This might indicate that the team will stand pat and rely on its pitching going forward. Former GM Bill Stoneman was never one for a mid-season move, and his replacement Tony Reagins has expressed similar sentiments.

The Rays could also look into acquiring Holliday, which would round out a stellar outfield. They have more than enough on the farm to get something done. Both teams could also look into Jason Bay, Xavier Nady, Ken Griffey Jr., or Adam Dunn.

If the Angels pull this off ... Colletti should retire.

Back
Top Bottom