Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

Rumor of Furcal being done for the year.

If he's gonna need surgery on the back, you might as well consider his season done.

Hopefully, theres no truth to it.

I'm with you brightnikes...

See, if this wasn't a contract year, he would probably hang it up for the season, but that's not the case...

I would rather he sit out the season, there's really no use in returning and re-injure his back.
After his rehab assignment this week, he felt the discomfort again....

He needs to get an extension ASAP though.

laugh.gif
I think sending Kershaw to AA was a good choice. Dude is still young and raw, let him find the plate a little more and get him back here when he's'ready'.

Kuroda is pitching a nice game after his 3 week absence.

Kent is absoultley on fire, and I hope its not because he's in Texas.

Oh yeah, vote for Russell Martin for All Star Catcher!!!!

I'm the a big Russell Martin fan... but if they were to choose one Dodger to make it to the ASG for some reason I'd want Biemel there. I know Rus'is one of our best player, if not the best, but Biemel has been great for us out the 'pen this year.

Wouldn't mind seeing Martin, Biemel, or Billingsley actually.

How about: Martin, Beimel and Kuo or Park.

The ballpen has kept the team in many games.

Pierre sucks, get over it. He's a great guy, shows up early and all sorts of cool stuff. That doesn't make him good. And you can't quantify thewhole "helping the team" stuff, so unless it boosts his on-base a good 40 points then he's not the best guy for hitting leadoff. Funny thing is,that's his supposed best asset. That he can hit at the top of the order, with a .330 OBP. riiiiiight.

I'm over talking about Pierre, this isn't going anywhere.

But I try to update the title after each series, I get busy sometimes.

About Holliday, I'd love him but he's a Boras client and Colletti developed this hate for Boras as to where he won't even talk to Boras clients.Stupid if you ask me but that's what it seems like he's doing.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Andruw has a good second half. By "good" I mean at least .260/.370/.480 with 15+ home runs.

laugh.gif
so far Beltre 'sucks' & Pierre 'sucks', I see a pattern forming - I wonder who's next?

I'm sure things got insanely sour between colleti & boras right after that J.D Drew incident.

With Andruw Jones, I have a little conspiracy ... could it be possible he never got knee surgery? Maybe this whole time off they put him on a nutrisystem diet.Its all a cover up.

But, with that said, I say he can still save himself from hate from all the Dodger fans if he bats around .240-.260 but dude better come blasting bombs,scoring runs, showing hustle.

[h1]Back surgery will keep SS Furcal shelved longer[/h1]
HOUSTON (AP) - Dodgers shortstop Rafael Furcal will have surgery on Thursday to relieve pressure on a disk in his lowerback and could be out at least eight weeks, manager Joe Torre said.

Furcal left a rehab assignment with the team's Triple-A affiliate in Las Vegas on Tuesday and returned to Los Angeles after experiencing discomfort inhis back. He has been on the disabled list since May 6 because of a lower back strain.

The Dodgers said Furcal would undergo a microdiscectomy. Torre said Furcal will miss"a minimum of eight weeks."

Furcal played four innings with Las Vegas on Monday night, going 1-for-3 with a double and an RBI.

Torre said Furcal didn't injure himself in the game, but woke up Tuesday morning with back discomfort. Furcal flew to Los Angeles and underwent testsbefore he agreed to have surgery.

"It's a blow, but it's reality," Torre said after the Dodgers'4-1 win over the Houston Astros. "He went out there, played a game and that wasthat. It's frustrating. He was, from what I understand, ready to just do this and get it done and get it over with. They anticipate this will solveeverything."

Furcal missed the final two weeks of last season with back pain and played in just 32 games this season before going to the DL. He was hitting .366 withfive homers and 16 RBIs.

Torre admitted that he was optimistic when Furcal took the field on Monday.

"After the first time, when he thought he felt good, it just didn't work out that way," Torre said. "I got a little tempted this timewhen we ran him out there. Talking to him, he didn't seem to have any hesitation. I guess I got excited again."

Luis Maza started at shortstop on Wednesday. Torre saidhe'd also use Angel Berroa there and may considerNomar Garciaparra there when he comes off the disabled list.Garciaparra has been on the DL since April 26 with a strained left calf, but could return before the All-Star break.

"I will certainly look at Nomar at shortstop, but I'm certainly not thinking on an everyday basis," Torre said. "I don't thinkthat's fair to Nomar. We'll try to figure it out and probably play piecemeal between now and the All-Star break."

HOUSTON (AP) - Dodgers shortstop Rafael Furcal will have surgery on Thursday to relieve pressure on a disk in his lower back and could be out at least eight weeks, manager Joe Torre said.
tired.gif

He better get a re-signed.... Or else, Ned Colletti should be fired.

I mean there's no doubts or questions, he's been the best player on the field for the past few years, and with a couple of injuries at that.

Damn, I'm guessing Furcal might be done for the year.
frown.gif
ohwell.gif
Hopefully, he gets better and improves to full strength next year if hisseason is indeed over.
tired.gif

About Holliday, I'd love him but he's a Boras client and Colletti developed this hate for Boras as to where he won't even talk to Boras clients. Stupid if you ask me but that's what it seems like he's doing.

That beef was squashed long ago, Andruw Jones is a recent Boras client signee. Plus, interesting fact, Boras is a Dodgers season ticket holder.

I'm the a big Russell Martin fan... but if they were to choose one Dodger to make it to the ASG for some reason I'd want Biemel there.

Name the last middle reliever to be chosen as an All Star. Usually if you are not a Starting Pitcher or a Closer, you won't make the All Star team. Beimel has been solid, I just don't understand his popularity. I forgave, but I will never forget his incident before the 2006 Division Series against theMets.

Oh yeah, vote for Russell Martin for All Star Catcher!!!!
Sadly, he won't get voted in. I still can't believe that there are NO Dodgers in the top 5 at any position. Bengie freaking Molina hasmore votes than Russ.
smh.gif
@ Dodger fans. The Cubs haven't done squat in 100 years, and every position player is in the top 5.

With Andruw Jones, I have a little conspiracy ... could it be possible he never got knee surgery? Maybe this whole time off they put him on a nutrisystem diet. Its all a cover up.

He did get surgery, and he did lose weight. Kill two birds with one stone.

He better get a re-signed.... Or else, Ned Colletti should be fired.

I sure as hell hope so, Furcal is a beast when he is 100% healthy.

Damn, I'm guessing Furcal might be done for the year.

Good, I know it doesn't sound right, but I hope he finally recovers from this nagging back injury. It shelved him at the end of last year,and it came back to hurt him this season (I still remember the play,
eek.gif
). Hopefully he sits out, recovers and signs an extension.

Ahhh rumor came out true.

'At least' 8 weeks, hang it up Furcal you're done for the season word to Bynum. Don't take any chances on your back, that next to your kneesare most important to heal.

Its gonna be a tough season, now starts the dodger blues .....
laugh.gif

I wonder if we'll pick up a SS? A SS that can actually hit .... please don't tell me the organization are depending on Nomaahhhhh to be the savior?.... yikes

Nomar will come back to play at SS, rejuvenate his career, lead the Dodgers to that NL West title, and......

Nah, who am I kidding.
laugh.gif

Ehh, I don't know about signing Furcal. 30+ coming off of back surgery? With so many huge contracts on the DL, I think Colletti is going to be afraid ofbringing Furcal back simply because you have absolutely no idea how the surgery is going to affect him. I don't think he'll be a type A free agent, sooffering him arbitration might not even be worth it. I would give DeJesus the time after the all-star break. If he can play good defense and get on base thenhe'll be better than Maza/Berroa and there aren't too many short stops out there to get on the trade market.

I would offer Furcal arb, and take the pick if he declines. If he accepts, pay him the 12 million or so he would get for one year, if he has a good year afterthat then re-sign him, if not then you have options with DeJesus, Hu, Abreu and possibly a trade for someone else. It sucks, but as much as I love watchingFurcal play, Colletti would be an idiot to give a multi-year deal to a 31 year old coming off of back surgery.

Jon Weisman wrote this about DeJesus, for the less prospect savvy on here. His dad was a major leaguer, he doesn't have any power, but walks a lot andplays very good defense. The power should come, as he's only 21, but don't ever expect more than 15 HRs from him in a season. Best comparison I couldmake would be Edgar Renteria, with a little less power and more walks.

But I don't get into trade speculation - too many unknowns. What I can do is bring up a name that others in the comments have been brandishing for a few days: Ivan DeJesus, Jr. I've ignored him as a possibility because it would be way ahead of schedule for a 21-year-old with 80 games of experience at AA to become the starter for a Dodger team that, believe it or not, is only 1 1/2 games out of first place. But this is the year of Blake DeWitt, and so we can't say that stranger things haven't happened.

DeJesus (and isn't he a nice-looking lad) has an on-base percentage of .420 in the minors for Jacksonville this season - and Jacksonville isn't known for its offense. That's nearly a 50-point improvement from his 2007 season in A ball. I don't think it's stretching things to say that this is a big leap forward, and I don't know how much to trust it. But it does at least make it viable that he could be worth a shot in the majors. Forgive me, but I couldn't resist making this perhaps irrelevant comparison: Russell Martin had a .361 OBP in A ball at age 21 and improved to .430 in AA ball at age 22. Of course, Martin didn't come to the Dodgers until the following year, when he started the season in AAA. But the Dodgers don't need DeJesus to hit like Martin. They just need him to hit like a sentient being.

I'm always partial to giving the in-house option a shot before looking outside for help. Independent of that, what I'd really like to see is the Dodgers lose their dependence on offense from their shortstop. With Pierre out, the Dodger outfield has a chance to be more productive. (I won't get into Andruw Jones apparently imminent return, because again, that's too much of a wild card right now.) But it would sure help if the Dodgers could get their young third basemen to hit, to take the pressure off their potentially even younger shortstop. One weak bat in the lineup before the pitcher, the team can handle.

For at least a few days more, it could be Luis Maza and Angel Berroa holding down the fort, and then Garciaparra stepping in. But DeJesus, I suspect, could outplay Maza and Berroa now. So maybe his time is coming, even if it's as a part-timer. DeJesus is scheduled to play in the Futures Game July 13. It sure would be something if he were called up before then.

Furcal has been playing with these nagging injuries since last year.

Colletti can give a big contract to a worn out arm in Jason Schmidt, but still iffy about giving Furcal an extension??
We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Dodgers only 1.5 games back of 1st, at 40-44.

They're up 5-2 right now.

I still think they can make the playoffs. Anything can happen in the NL West, or NL East, just ask the Mets
laugh.gif

07/03/2008 3:06 PM ET
Surgery performed on Furcal's back
Procedure on ruptured disc goes without complications

HOUSTON -- Disabled shortstop Rafael Furcal underwent microdiscectomy surgery on his lower back on Thursday morning. The 75-minute operation was performed by Dr. Robert Watkins at Marina del Rey Hospital, and club officials said it went as planned without complications.
The procedure is a minimally invasive operation using microscopic magnification to remove all or part of a ruptured disc pressing on a nerve in Furcal's lower back. He is expected to be released Friday, begin rehabilitation next week and be sidelined a minimum of eight weeks.

Watkins performed a similar procedure in 2002 on Dodgers pitcher Kevin Brown, whose disc was badly ruptured. Brown rushed back after two months, but quickly had to shut it down, because he was not fully healed. Reliever Eric Gagne underwent a similar operation by Watkins in 2006. Like Brown, Gagne was also trying to return from elbow woes at the time and did not pitch again that season.

Furcal will be a free agent after this season. He attempted to rehabilitate this injury twice this year, nearly beginning a Minor League assignment a month ago before a relapse. He then underwent a strenuous core exercise program in an attempt to avoid this surgery, but after one game at Triple-A Las Vegas this week, he woke up the next day again in pain.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Thanks for the update French.

No problem. Here's another:

07/03/2008 2:30 PM ET

Nomar, Andruw to return on Friday

Injured stars will wear Dodger blue earlier than anticipated

Manager Joe Torre said that both players would be activated in time for Friday night's game in San Francisco, cutting short their injury rehabilitation assignments -- in Jones' case, by two weeks.

"We're going to go ahead with it," said Torre, who spoke with the two players by phone Wednesday night after learning that Furcal would not be returning any time soon, if at all. "Does Andruw need another five to 10 at-bats? We'll take a chance and do it at the Major League level."

Jones, who had right knee surgery May 27, had insisted all along that he was targeting a return of July 18, when play resumes after the All-Star break. Juan Pierre's left knee injury, suffered Sunday and likely to sideline him four to six weeks, prompted Jones to offer Torre an early return when they spoke on Monday.

Garciaparra, sidelined since April 26 with issues related to a torn left calf muscle, has had a series of possible return dates. Each played only three games at Triple-A Las Vegas this week; Garciaparra was 5-for-8, and Jones was 4-for-8 with a homer.

Clearly, the definitive loss of Furcal accelerated the returns of the veterans. Torre said Garciaparra would start at shortstop Friday and Jones in center field. He reiterated that he would not commit to playing Garciaparra at shortstop every day, particularly in light of Garciaparra's history of injuries in recent years.

Torre said he will continue batting Matt Kemp leadoff and would not consider Garciaparra for the role. The Dodgers will need to make two roster moves to make room for the veterans. Newly arrived outfielder Jason Repko is one likely candidate. The other could come from a group of bench players, including Angel Berroa, Andy LaRoche and Mark Sweeney.

Kent leaves game with back stiffness

Second baseman exits before bottom of fifth inning vs. Astros

HOUSTON -- Dodgers second baseman Jeff Kent left Thursday's game against the Astros in the fifth inning with lower back stiffness.
The 40-year-old Kent, playing in a day game following a night game, lined out to third base to end the top of the fifth inning. He returned to his defensive position for the bottom of the fifth, but his body language brought manager Joe Torre and trainer Stan Conte out of the Dodgers dugout, and he was removed. He was smiling as he reached the bench and did not appear to be in distress.

Kent had walked and scored in the first inning and singled in the third in his other two at-bats. He came into the day batting .375 in his previous 14 games, raising his average from .239 to .266.

Let's get the job this weekend against the Giants, and maybe pick up some games on the D'backs and inch even closer to first place.
smokin.gif

We better take that Giants series, ain't no way we're letting them take this.

Lowe takes the mound Friday, oh lord help him.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Kent leaves game with back stiffness

Second baseman exits before bottom of fifth inning vs. Astros

HOUSTON -- Dodgers second baseman Jeff Kent left Thursday's game against the Astros in the fifth inning with lower back stiffness.
The 40-year-old Kent, playing in a day game following a night game, lined out to third base to end the top of the fifth inning. He returned to his defensive position for the bottom of the fifth, but his body language brought manager Joe Torre and trainer Stan Conte out of the Dodgers dugout, and he was removed. He was smiling as he reached the bench and did not appear to be in distress.

Kent had walked and scored in the first inning and singled in the third in his other two at-bats. He came into the day batting .375 in his previous 14 games, raising his average from .239 to .266.

Kent left the game?! I couldn't catch this day game.
smh.gif
tired.gif
atinjuries piling up on us again.

Back
Top Bottom