OFFICIAL MAYWEATHER V. PACQUIAO FIGHT THREAD | MAY 2ND @ MGM GRAND | HBOxSHOWTIME PPV

WHO WINS?

• PBF by Decision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manny by Decision

• PBF by TKO/KO

• Manny by TKO/KO

• Draw

• Don't Care....I just wanna see the hands delivered

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood why some people charge their friends to watch the fight at there house. you were going to watch the fight regardless and decide to invite people only to charge them. if thats the case why not just watch dolo

I have an issue with this comment bc if you know his history you know that he was ducked for a long time. DLH finally fought him on the tail end of his career, wouldn't touch him years before just like Mosley and a number of other fighters until he was the big name.

Who did Floyd duck or avoid? Lets go down the list?
He ducked Cotto when he was in his prime and he wanted no part of Margarito. Let's not pretend that Floyd and Pacquiao are fighting in 2015 instead of 2009, when they should have originally fought.

All of the fighters I named (Ali, SRR, Louis, Duran, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, JCC) went through all of their contemporaries in their prime, not when they showed signs of vulnerability the way Floyd has. Let's also not pretend Oscar and Shane weren't washed up when Floyd fought them. I know Mosley avoided Floyd for years and once the tables turned in regards to success, the favor was returned.

Floyd shouldn't be compared to Ali for one simple reason; quality of opponents. I'm a huge Floyd fan and will be the first to admit that this is his first real Mega fight. Ali has more mega fights than you can shake a stick at. Now Floyd can't control the era he's in, but he could have easily had a more impressive resume. This should be Mayweather - Pacquiao 3, not the first fight between the sports best pfp in the last 10 years. I'm one of the few Floyd fans that isn't impressed with 47-0 record. He didn't face everyone in his path the way Ali did. I honestly respect Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, Duran, JCC more than Floyd because their resumes are a lot more impressive. I agree with your claim that Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest of all-time; I put Ali and Joe Louis right behind him.
I disagree with the "quality of opponents" part of this statement. Floyd was calling out top fighters like Shane, Oscar, and even Kostya Tszyu back in 05-06, before he was the man in boxing and they didn't give him a shot because they knew Floyd was a high risk fight but wasn't a big draw at the time. Now mind you these were some of the best in the business at the time, especially Shane. It seems like Floyd was being ducked IMO. No one ever mentions this though. Once Floyd became #1 P4P and a top draw, his quality of opponents is criticized and he's considered to be cherry picking or ducking.

I disagree with the "quality of opponents" part of this statement. Floyd was calling out top fighters like Shane, Oscar, and even Kostya Tszyu back in 05-06, before he was the man in boxing and they didn't give him a shot because they knew Floyd was a high risk fight but wasn't a big draw at the time. Now mind you these were some of the best in the business at the time, especially Shane. It seems like Floyd was being ducked IMO. No one ever mentions this though. Once Floyd became #1 P4P and a top draw, his quality of opponents is criticized and he's considered to be cherry picking or ducking.

Thank you sir this is all i was saying. And cotto? Really when did floyd duck cotto i dont remember that coming up.

And you really gon bring Margarito up? No one wanted him after the cotto fight where his hands were plastered and he cheated. Also Margarito was never a top contender u have an old mosley beating dude to a pulp like cotto did lol

Floyd shouldn't be compared to Ali for one simple reason; quality of opponents. I'm a huge Floyd fan and will be the first to admit that this is his first real Mega fight. Ali has more mega fights than you can shake a stick at. Now Floyd can't control the era he's in, but he could have easily had a more impressive resume. This should be Mayweather - Pacquiao 3, not the first fight between the sports best pfp in the last 10 years. I'm one of the few Floyd fans that isn't impressed with 47-0 record. He didn't face everyone in his path the way Ali did. I honestly respect Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, Duran, JCC more than Floyd because their resumes are a lot more impressive. I agree with your claim that Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest of all-time; I put Ali and Joe Louis right behind him.

I can't really blame Shane all that much though. He went up to fight Oscar for that big payday, and then went on to lose to Forrest.

You can't really say he ducked May like that because he went to fight Forrest and Winky. Two of the most avoided fighters at the time. And I commend him for fighting those two twice.

Shane also just lost to Winky twice when Floyd supposedly started calling him out again in '05.

-Drew

Last edited:
He ducked Cotto when he was in his prime and he wanted no part of Margarito. Let's not pretend that Floyd and Pacquiao are fighting in 2015 instead of 2009, when they should have originally fought.

All of the fighters I named (Ali, SRR, Louis, Duran, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, JCC) went through all of their contemporaries in their prime, not when they showed signs of vulnerability the way Floyd has. Let's also not pretend Oscar and Shane weren't washed up when Floyd fought them. I know Mosley avoided Floyd for years and once the tables turned in regards to success, the favor was returned.
Floyd didn't duck Margarito or Cotto. While Margarito, Cotto, heck and even Paul Williams were there at 147 for Floyd to fight after he beat Baldomir, Floyd moved up to 154 to fight Oscar, a fight that would make him P4P/PPV king while gaining another title in the process at a different weight class, a fight that stamped Floyd as the top guy in boxing. It's not like he didn't fight the fighters mentioned at 147 and fought an lesser opponent, he moved up to 154 which was a bigger challenge and had more upside, which proved to be true.

Thank you sir this is all i was saying. And cotto? Really when did floyd duck cotto i dont remember that coming up.

And you really gon bring Margarito up? No one wanted him after the cotto fight where his hands were plastered and he cheated. Also Margarito was never a top contender u have an old mosley beating dude to a pulp like cotto did lol

There was a video back when Cotto was still undefeated and interviewers were asking Floyd why he's not fighting Cotto and May legit said that it's because Cotto lives too far out in Puerto Rico. :lol:

Bro even Redman says that May ducked Margs.

-Drew

I can't really blame Shane all that much though. He went up to fight Oscar for that big payday, and then went on to lose to Forrest.

You can't really say he ducked May like that because he went to fight Forrest and Winky. Two of the most avoided fighters at the time. And I commend him for fighting those two twice.

Shane also just lost to Winky twice when Floyd supposedly started calling him out again in '05.

-Drew
That's what I'm getting at. Shane fought Forrest and Winky who at the time were more established, but Floyd wasn't a big draw as of yet. Shane had the excuse of having a tooth issue or a jaw issue another time when Floyd was calling him out. I'm just saying Floyd was trying to fight the best coming up and can make a good argument that he was being avoided too. I'm don't hold quality of opponents against him. I think once Floyd moved to 147, that when all the claims of ducking and cherry picking came about.

Last edited:

-Drew

That's what I'm getting at. Shane fought Forrest and Winky who at the time were more established, but Floyd wasn't a big draw as of yet. Shane had the excuse of having a tooth issue or a jaw issue another time when Floyd was calling him out. I'm just saying Floyd was trying to fight the best coming up and can make a good argument that he was being avoided too. I'm don't hold quality of opponents against him. I think once Floyd moved to 147, that when all the claims of ducking and cherry picking came about.

At lightweight, I don't think Floyd was ducking fighters at that division.

At 147, there are a lot of strong cases that the public can bring up. Floyd left boxing for his retirement at the worst possible time with the worse choice of opponent for his last fight prior to retirement.

The 147 division was hot at that time. You had Cotto with the unbeaten record, Margs calling him out, Mosely, and especially Forrest. All that competition and Floyd went out to beating Hatton and retiring. After he retired, all these dudes fought each other in amazing match ups (Forrest and Mosely happening much earlier though) and after it was all said and done, Floyd chose to come back from retirement. You're right about the ducking calls coming at 147, because all of these events unfolded quite conveniently.

-Drew

Last edited:
I never understood why some people charge their friends to watch the fight at there house. you were going to watch the fight regardless and decide to invite people only to charge them. if thats the case why not just watch dolo

You order a 100 dollar fight. Provide food and/or drinks. Provide a house to chill/party with people. Clean up afterwards. Take the risk of anything being damaged.

The least friends could do is chip in or bring some booze. Not saying you should hustle your friends but it shouldn't be one person incurring all the cost and everyone else just consuming.

You order a 100 dollar fight. Provide food and/or drinks. Provide a house to chill/party with people. Clean up afterwards. Take the risk of anything being damaged.

The least friends could do is chip in or bring some booze. Not saying you should hustle your friends but it shouldn't be one person incurring all the cost and everyone else just consuming.

Word, it's not like you're tryna make a profit. Just trying not to lose money.

And there's always freeloaders just trying to drink up your **** and go somewhere for free. Ain't none of us rich, we all in the same boat. So pitching in $10-20 is nothing

Im prolly in the monitory, but I don't believe Ali was the best boxer of all time. He's the most famous boxer, because he transcended the sport into pop culture.m His work in and most importantly out of the ring garnered him that praise. I put Floyd above him, but the best ever, I'd give it to Sugar Ray Robinson. And even tho he got losses, his record is still more impressive to me than FLoyds.

Best Liston twice, Frazier twice, and a dominant Foreman....oh and missed 3 PRIME years of his career. 3 time champ. Resume is awesome :pimp:

That said I get it with people having a few other fighters in the convo and perhaps ahead

Definitely. And if you have good friends, you don't charge, they offer

Last edited:
Manny Pacquiao promises Freddie Roach a knockout of Floyd Mayweather

Freddie Roach dispatched his oldest brother, Al, to New York to collect the famed trainer’s seventh Eddie Futch trainer of the year award at Friday night’s Boxing Writers’ Assn. of American dinner in New York.

Roach said Friday he’s received assurance from his top fighter, Manny Pacquiao, that award No. 8 is coming.

Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 knockouts) is scheduled to break camp at Roach’s Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood on Monday, then head to Las Vegas, where he’ll fight unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. (47-0) in a bout expected to shatter boxing revenue records May 2 at MGM Grand.

“What would be most special is No. 8, and Manny says, ‘You’ll win that next year, because I’m going to knock Mayweather out,’” Roach said.

“I’ve never heard Manny be so bold. I was really happy he said that to me.”

Pacquiao, who hasn't knocked out an opponent since stopping Miguel Cotto by TKO in 2009, uttered the prediction Thursday.

“I like where my fighter is right now. He’s in the perfect condition to fight this guy,” Roach said. “He’s faster than ever, punching harder than ever. So explosive right now. Ever since this fight was announced, he’s at a different level. He’s trained very hard. I’ve never seen him better.”

Mayweather and his trainer-father Floyd Sr., have repeatedly said they’re preparing as if May 2 is just another fight.

“I feel like they don’t want to be here, I feel they were forced into this fight by Showtime,” Roach said. “I really don’t think he wants this fight. He was forced into it by the public, the press and by Showtime.”

Roach helped coordinate the meeting between CBS President and Chief Executive Leslie Moonves and Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum that helped push the bout toward reality.

“All of our wishes came true,” Roach said.

For Friday’s BWAA dinner, Roach said he told his brother to keep the acceptance speech short. The trainer said he was proud of the honor, given that it’s named after his own former trainer, who trained Joe Frazier and several others.

Roach’s 2014 award came after Pacquiao dominated Timothy Bradley in April, then knocked down previously unbeaten Chris Algieri six times in their November bout in Macao.

Additionally, Roach trained Cotto to a summer middleweight world title victory over Sergio Martinez.

Cotto is training each morning at Wild Card, Roach said, in preparation for a June 6 title defense at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center against Daniel Geale.

“He’s been here three weeks, we can’t wait for his next big fight,” Roach said, alluding to a possible late fall bout against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.

As for Roach, who suffers with Parkinson’s, he said his back has been bothering him recently.

“There’s some pain,” he said. “Nothing I can’t deal with.”

Source:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxin...die-roach-trainer-of-year-20150424-story.html

So Showtime, HBO and top rank will not be offering any kind of ppv through online streaming? 
ohwell.gif
 Won't be home to watch the fight but am willing to cough up the dough to watch in HD and not resort to firstrowsports lol. Anyone have any info?
nerd.gif

You like treating freeloaders???

This going back and forth doesn't serve a purpose ... Who ducked who is really not important like the fact that the fights didn't happen at that specific time.

Anyways, what's next for winner of this fight????

We talking about biggest draw and fighting the best avail.

GGG
Amed
One Time
Garcia

In that order .... Floyd vs GGG @ 154 enough said. Although I dont know how good the fight would be, that's about the only one that I think can be good opponents. There's really nobody that you can throw out there that wow me.

This is what I'm saying .. Back in the days you had like 6 to 8 legit boxers per weight class.

Last edited:
Obviously, when it gets closer people will be talking about it more. But I'm surprised how little people are actually talking about this fight...

Who ducked who is really not important like the fact that the fights didn't happen at that specific time.

Anyways, what's next for winner of this fight????

We talking about biggest draw and fighting the best avail.

GGG

In that order .... Floyd vs GGG @ 154 enough said. Although I dont know how good the fight would be, that's about the only one that I think can be good opponents. There's really nobody that you can throw out there that wow me.

If MMW and Pac didn't happen at that certain time, you really think Floyd would go in with GGG? I don't think that ever happens. Floyd only got 1 fight left after this, I think it would be against Pac again.

I'm tired of all thos knockout talk . Dont pull a bradley and come out swinging hard for 5 rounds then get gassed.

I honestly think he was doing much better in the 2nd fight until he went head hunting. Which i hope and am sure manny wont do .

And you can hang the ggg vs floyd up that will not happen. No way floyd takes that fight. We all know itll be a rematch in September

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom