Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

holy #$%$

BJ just busted Joe open with an elbow and Joe is literally gushing blood. I've never seen so much blood pour out so quickly.

BJ Penn is the new lightweight champion with a victory in the 2nd round via submission (rear naked choke).

Stevenson was bleeding BUCKETS. They better get him to a hospital.

Congrats to BJ. He's one of my favorite fighters. I hope he whoops Sherk's%%%!.

Sherk just proved how big of a douche he is right now
laugh.gif
dude is mad salty right now.

Congrats to BJ, Stevenson is gonna be a beast though, this loss won't hold that off

Gonzaga=hype.
I remember before the couture fight, joe rogan said something along the lines of "when it's all said and done gabriel gonzaga could bethe greatest fighter we've ever seen"

I was like 'the hell's he talking about?"
eyes.gif

Also, Penn! Chea!

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

WOW

Gonzaga lost.

He was looking good in the first round with really stiff leg kicks, but Werdum came back strong in the 2nd round with knees and then he got him on the ground against the cage and pounded him out.

damn this post killed me. west coast delays are garbage.

Penn looked great... that was some SERIOUS blood... you could see the choke he put on him at the end was just like a mercy choke, stevenson wanted him to justend the fight, he was barely even choking.. i thought that was pretty nice of Penn. Feel bad for stevenson a bit, even though penn is my dude. You hate to seea cut like that change the complexion of a fight, especially so early on in it - it was just kind of a lucky blow that he hit him in such a spot and the bloodjust wouldn't stop, dude could barely see i'm guessing, not to mention he was probably getting light headed. I think penn showed early on though beforethe bloodbath that he was the much superior fighter.

Can't wait for him to take down steroid boy. How can you not love Penn?

Originally Posted by wildout4

WOW

Gonzaga lost.

He was looking good in the first round with really stiff leg kicks, but Werdum came back strong in the 2nd round with knees and then he got him on the ground against the cage and pounded him out.

west coast delays? this thing was live at 12 in the noon

Originally Posted by MINOTAURO NOGUEIRA

Originally Posted by wildout4

WOW

Gonzaga lost.

west coast delays? this thing was live at 12 in the noon
oh wow ur right, im trippin. I forgot all about that. I must have watched a replay.

Kenny Florian V.S Joe Lauzon
Should be a good fight, maybe live up to Huerta/Guida?

Lightweight division is deep: Penn, Stevenson, Sherk, Florian, Lauzon, Huerta, Guida, Griffin, Edgar, Manville, etc.

Originally Posted by OwensStr8Clownin

I can't stand BJ Penn, I hope if he fits Sherk he gets KO

WHAT?
What do you not like about BJ? And HOW can you like Sherk? He's the worst. He's a prick and his style is so boring.

Yo what happened to my dude Rampage.

I try to watch all of the PPV's, but my illegal satellite was down.

I haven't seen Rampage fight in a minute though, and I don't see him fighting in any of the upcoming events.

^ he's fighting Forrest Griffin after Ultimate Fighter 6(?) finale for the title.

that should be some time in August I believe

Rampage was looking to get a little time off (he was looking at about 6 months, but his trainer wanted 9) but the next season of TUF looks to be setting up about between him and forrest for the lhw title. still as of yet, unofficial.

I've never seen so much blood pour out so quickly.
Let's not forget babalu vs. heath, that was a mess too
sick.gif

I think Joe just gave up too quickly. He didn't even try to break the choke or avoid it. Reminds me of BJ's old fights when he'd rush to theoctagon, finish the fight and runs back to the lockers.

When the the new TUF season start? It's one of the FEW shows I watch on TV these days.

Posted on mmajunkie.com:

With his come-from-behind victory over Gabriel Gonzaga at Saturday's UFC 80 event, Fabricio Werdum - who owns a mere 1-1 record in the UFC - has been granted a heavyweight title shot. He'll take on the winner of an interim title fight between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Tim Sylvia that headlines next month's UFC 81 event.
UFC Dana White confirmed Werdum's upcoming shot at the belt during UFC 80, according to our partners at Yahoo! Sports. (The UFC, of course, is assuming that estranged heavyweight champ Randy Couture, who announced his resignation from the organization in October, will turn down the fight.)

Werdum (10-3-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is no doubt a top-10 heavyweight. In fact, in my rankings for FIGHT! Magazine and the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts, I had him in the seventh spot - just behind Gabriel Gonzaga. (He'll go up a spot or two with Saturday's victory, though.)

However, is Werdum really ready to fight for the title? Will UFC fans consider it a legitimate main event if the UFC gives the fight headliner status?

Your casual UFC fan has seen Werdum fight twice. He dropped a unanimous decision to Andrei Arlovski back at UFC 70 in a hugely disappointing fight. In fact, the winner of that bout was considered a lock for an immediate title shot, but the fight flopped so badly that Gonzaga got the nod instead. The other time UFC fans saw Werdum fight? On Saturday - in a fight he was losing pretty badly. Gonzaga chopped down Werdum with a series of leg kicks, but the 30-year-old rebounded with a stunning TKO in the second round.

So does that body of work warrant a title shot? Not on its own. In fact, even when you take into consideration Werdum's PRIDE Fighting Championships resume (which includes a 4-2 record), he fought only three really significant opponents - and he went 1-2 in those fights. He secured a second-round submission of Alistair Overeem, but he also dropped a unanimous-decision to Nogueira and a split decision to Sergei Kharitonov.

So, why does he get a title fight so soon in the UFC?

Honestly, there aren't many other options. Couture appears finished with the UFC, Gonzaga already got his shot, Arlovski could be fighting for the final time in the UFC in March, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has been struggling and is unsure about his future in MMA (according to White anyway), Brandon Vera is coming off a loss, the world's other top heavyweights (Fedor Emelianenko, Josh Barnett and Aleksander Emelianenko, for example) don't fight for the UFC, and the UFC's other heavyweights (such as Jake O'Brien, Eddie Sanchez, Justin McCully and Antoni Hardonk) are far from ready.

Other than Werdum, there are two other options: the winner of a UFC 81 fight between Frank Mir and UFC newcomer Brock Lesnar (who are both at least a couple fights away from a title shot), or the winner of a UFC 82 fight between Cheick Kongo and Heath Herring (who are legitimate, if not optimal, options).

So basically, aside from maybe Kongo and Herring, Werdum's the only heavyweight left to fight for the title.

Werdum's a hugely talented fighter. He has an array of skills and has demonstrated remarkable resiliency, and he has what it takes to beat Sylvia or Nogueira on any given Saturday. But as far as his upcoming title shot, it appears to be more about good timing and a lack of viable options.

Back
Top Bottom