*Official* New Car Care tips (Fresh Haterade for Sale!)

Originally Posted by GG0tti

Originally Posted by StillIn729

first question

do you live at home?
Yes if he just graduated college and is still living at home then I can see this a problem.

But hey I would not do all that on my car. I'm too lazy. Quick wash and dry in front of my house or pay this guy a few houses down to do it.
if he grad. college and lives at home, chances are if he has student loans he will just blow them off

I see this all the time, kids would rather buy a car they shouldnt have, kill their credit and screw kids who actually could use the loans by making it harderfor them to get the right amounts...grants are getting tougher and tougher to come by

To each his own I say. Just be man enough to deal with the consequence if there are any. All that aside, 55k for a Acura?! Shiiiiiiiiit.

Yea my friend is 21, just recently accepted in to the border patrol academy. Dude is going to buy the new RT challenger for about 34k i think. I told him notto do it but he isnt listening to me. His bad!!!!

Originally Posted by awash242

Originally Posted by MexicanSoul

Originally Posted by BugsyMF

at 22, you shouldn't have bought such an expensive car. Congrats on the pick-up though.
eyes.gif

u know him or somethin?
indifferent.gif

don't need to know him to make that statement. assuming at 22 he went 4 straight years to college, he's barely getting into any type of real, steady money to purchase a 50k car.

Originally Posted by Mrmeeh2

Not the best way to spend $55k, but congrats anyways.
pimp.gif
My sentiments exactly.

That's a lot of assumptions to make based on what little info you know about him...
eyes.gif
that's what i'm sayin...

what if he didn't go to college and started makin bread outta high school or whatever...u ain't gotta go to college or be older to make madmoney...c'mon man

since u don't know his situation, u can't say if he shoulda bought that or not

for people that aren't extremely anal about getting the car looking like it belongs on a showroom in some car show there are just a few things you can doto make it better than most of the people that don't care at all.

i'm not too into detailing and stuff, i just like having my car looking clean. i would go about claybarring it (which you don't have to right now sinceit's brand new, maybe wait 6 months or a year) and then getting a good synthetic wax and waxing the car, putting on like 2-3 coats. also wash your carregularly by NOT going to those car wash places but buying your own supply. assuming you have a driveway and a hose, you just need:

-a bucket big enough to hold a few gallons of water + small bucket to wash your mit
-a mit that won't swirl the car. i use microfiber mit which is cheap and works well
-good shampoo (doesn't have to be super expensive, i have meguirs and it's good)
-good drying towel that won't swirl the car.

basically, hose down the car real good first and just pool the soap in water and soap the car top to bottom and rinsing the mit after everytime you go over thecar with soap. rinse the car off well and then use the drying towel to dry the car. if you have a lot of wax on the car it should be easy to wash the car. alsomaybe get some leather care for your seats, and maybe invest in all season floor mats as well as a vaccum cleaner so you don't have to go to gas stationeverytime.

as for mechanics, just get oil change done and look at the owner's manual for routine maintanence. (like 15k miles, 30k miles, etc) i would change out theoil the first 1000-2000 miles to get the metal shaving out then just do it every 3k miles. keep your tires inflated to the right psi at all times and don'tforget to enjoy the car most importantly. sorry it got a lot longer than i planned but hope it helps. drive safe man.

THE wax to get is Liquid Glass its expensive but the absolute best

That being said I think this was a stupid idea, even though I dont know your situation

Im 17 and I know this 16 year old kid who just got his first car from his grandpa for 2 grand (94 camry FTL) Hes already purchasing a truck for about 7 grandfrom his dad. And now hes looking at buying a 10G motorcycle. This is INSANE! His parents seem to think its acceptable but hes screwin himself. He works at thesame grocery store as me where I make 8.75 an hour and I know he makes around 7.50. Its part time which means about 5 grand a year at most. Im tryna save up atleast 60% of what I make because although its def not as fun, it will help me later and then I can have fun.

I just feel like saving money at a young age is vital to doing much better when your earlier.

word to everyone: buy your stuff in cash. if you have the opportunity to save your money and buy it in cash you will not only get a lower price but save oninterest. I realize almost every american lives on credit, but wouldnt you be much happier knowing you own everything in your possesion and no matter whathappens you have a certain amount of security because you have no or very few payments to make on anything.

that's what i'm sayin...

what if he didn't go to college and started makin bread outta high school or whatever...u ain't gotta go to college or be older to make mad money...c'mon man

at 22, you don't need to buy a 50k car, period. Who said anything about having to go to college..I made a broad assumption to relate with mostinstances where a 22 year old would be purchasing a car...being after graduation. Why don't you let the OP answer for himself...you're clearly toofickle to converse with.

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

word to everyone: buy your stuff in cash. if you have the opportunity to save your money and buy it in cash you will not only get a lower price but save on interest. I realize almost every american lives on credit, but wouldnt you be much happier knowing you own everything in your possesion and no matter what happens you have a certain amount of security because you have no or very few payments to make on anything.
Lower in terms of what you pay is what you pay but the majority of car dealers could care less if you came with 40k cash or financed 40k...theyget paid regardless. The bank is who makes money off your loan. and
pimp.gif
toyou being so young and already working on saving money. Credit is a double edged sword...be careful when using it.

With that kind of bread, its obvious to go cop something on a higher status ie: Lexus, BMW, Merc, etc.

laugh.gif
Lexus is basically the same as Acura in terms of status.
The most important thing to remember is to worry more about what's going on under the hood than on the outside.

1st, let me say thank you for all the positive advice and feedback on new car care. i really appreciate it. i realize a quick google search could have got methe knowledge i'm looking for, but i usually prefer Niketalk over anything in terms of advice since yall probably relate to me the most in terms oflifestyle. I made this post primarily because i was getting confused about all the car care products there are out there, and i am only interested in buyingthe necessary products to use, not a bunch of hyped up stuff all the companies are constantly coming out with as the "new" best car cleaning product.

Anyways here are a couple pics i shot this morning with my iphone. (blackberry users i ain't got no problems with yall).

some background info for those wanting know a little about me and the car: the car was purchased for $34,000 out the door from a private Auto Broker (star citymotors, brisbane, ca. ask for Chris) who owns his own private luxury dealership and who deals with high end luxury vehicles like Bmw, Mercedes, Etc. The guyowned a private garage which had about 8 cars in it (Bmw 5 series, corvette, 2 dodge vipers, the acura RL, and couple other BMWs i wasn't really payingattention too.) 8 cars may not seem alot but he says the turnover rate for his vehicles is a couple days and he constantly has new cars coming in and out. TheAcura RL had 4,000 miles on it which was previous owned by some super high paid engineer who owned the car for a couple months and decided RL wasn't ballinenough for him so he traded it in to this Auto Broker for some $75,000 BMW. (dunno which model but assuming its either a 6 series or 7 series)

Techinically it is considered USED since it had a previous owner with 4,000 miles on it, but #%+#, its brand !$!$#@ new to me in my book. My budget wasoriginally around mid to high 20's and i was looking at a brand new subaru legacy. AWD was what i was looking for in my new car and i had been researchingfor over 2 months when i just happend to see this deal on CRAIGSLIST!!! atfirst i thought it was too good to be true, but i went to check it out and the dudesaid he only had the car in for a day and it was priced to move ASAP since it is pretty much the Japanese car he had and RL's aint a big seller for him.

I liked the fact it was AWD, Acura reliability, and comes with 100,000 extended warranty purchased by previous owner. also has optional A-spec sport suspensionwhich is a oem part and drops the car 1" from stock. The car was $20,000 off sticker price and beats any car i was previously looking at by a long shot. Iwent over my budget by a couple thousand dollars, but i am extremely happy with my purchase. I put $15,000 down and am financing the rest. Car should be paidoff in about a year or two.

22 is young to own a car like this, and i definitely acknowledge that which is why i am trying to do my best to take care of this car and maintain it well.Keep the advice rolling in as i'm sure i am not the only one benefitting from this topic post as its a pretty general subject pertinant to most people outthere interested in keep their vehicle clean/performing well.

on a side note, owning a nice car is great. First these Ho's didn't notice me, but now they all over me. C'YEA!
pimp.gif
Good day.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

With that kind of bread, its obvious to go cop something on a higher status ie: Lexus, BMW, Merc, etc.

laugh.gif
The most important thing to remember is to worry more about what's going on under the hood than on the outside.
Yeah you're right, but Lexus in general offers more luxury than Acura, not to mention you get that status feel of being Mr. Cool Guy. Also,half of the Lexus' line up are under $55k, that's including the RX, GX models. Com'on this is a no brainer.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Mrmeeh2 wrote:

laugh.gif

Yeah you're right, but Lexus in general offers more luxury than Acura, not to mention you get that status feel of being Mr. Cool Guy. Also, half of the Lexus' line up are under $55k, that's including the RX, GX models. Com'on this is a no brainer.

laugh.gif
Shoot, for under $55,000 I could pick up ANY Volvo and it's still luxury.
I really can't say Lexus is over or under Acura. They're both the same in my book. But Acura doesn't offer as many choices, which limits them.

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

THE wax to get is Liquid Glass its expensive but the absolute best

That being said I think this was a stupid idea, even though I dont know your situation

Im 17 and I know this 16 year old kid who just got his first car from his grandpa for 2 grand (94 camry FTL) Hes already purchasing a truck for about 7 grand from his dad. And now hes looking at buying a 10G motorcycle. This is INSANE! His parents seem to think its acceptable but hes screwin himself. He works at the same grocery store as me where I make 8.75 an hour and I know he makes around 7.50. Its part time which means about 5 grand a year at most. Im tryna save up at least 60% of what I make because although its def not as fun, it will help me later and then I can have fun.

I just feel like saving money at a young age is vital to doing much better when your earlier.

word to everyone: buy your stuff in cash. if you have the opportunity to save your money and buy it in cash you will not only get a lower price but save on interest. I realize almost every american lives on credit, but wouldnt you be much happier knowing you own everything in your possesion and no matter what happens you have a certain amount of security because you have no or very few payments to make on anything.
AMEN!
I been saving my money for a while, making money, just being smart. Have had 2 cars, the one I have now is a 94 Buick Lesabre, loaded, leather, 3800 v6, 86kmiles, all digital climate control, better sound system and I got it for $1000. STEAL.
Definite supporter of cash, seen credit cards #$% over my sister and a few others, nasty things they can be. I'm 17 as well.

i agree the RL is way over priced at $55,000 MSRP, however almost no one is actually paying that since in 2008 Acura only sold 4,800 RL's in North America.However It does retain its resale value alot higher then its German competitors based on reliability. The car will last longer then any BMW or Mercedes, thewarranty is better, the parts / oil is cheaper, and just the overall cost of maintenance cost less, financially as well as headache wise... all for a car thatwhile, maybe not leading the pack in the luxury/performance department, at $34,000 out the door it certainly does smash on anything else you would be able toget for that price.

This car does an excellent job of suiting my needs and what i am looking for in a car. Going from a 1995 Toyota 4runner that i got from my parents to this, ican say this is definitely enough luxury for me. BMW and Mercedes is for status, short term performance, and usually people who buy them don't keep themlong and have enough money to buy a newer model every couple years, so they never really run into "reliability issues."

i am not rich by any means, and this car is something that i intend on carrying into the future for my everyday needs. With a $30,000 budget i could havebought all kinds of cars new or fairly new/used like bmw m3, mercedes e55 amg, jeep srt8. all luxury cars, definitely alot faster and cooler then mine, and iwouldn't mind having any of those, but i don't want to deal with the headache that comes along with german, american, or real high performanceautomobiles. plus the car i got is a 2008. i challenge anyone to find a 2008 model car w/ 4,000 miles on it, any brand, any class, for $20,000 off MSRP. If youcan find one, then you got yourself one hell of a deal.

I definitely agree that if someone had the money to spend $55,000 on a car, that there are so many other cars to buy besides an RL that would be considered bysome a better buy, but for the deal i got and the lifestyle i am trying to maintain, it would have been stupid of me NOT to buy this car.

with all that said i do believe lexus is more luxurious and a better buy then Acura RL. Acura had the legend ofcourse, but they also used to make integraswhich is definitely not a "luxury" car and is just now stepping their game up in the luxury department, while lexus has been setting the standard forluxury and flyness ever since drug dealers started driving GS's in the early 90's.

The thing that sets apart the RL from its competitors today is the SH-AWD. All wheel drive on the RL comes standard, while on some newer models like BMW 3series AWD or Lexus is350 AWD, the AWD adds a significant amount of money added on to the base price, and are alot harder to find being sold at a good deal...atleast in my area.

Originally Posted by awash242

at 22, you shouldn't have bought such an expensive car. Congrats on the pick-up though.
eyes.gif

u know him or somethin?
indifferent.gif

don't need to know him to make that statement. assuming at 22 he went 4 straight years to college, he's barely getting into any type of real, steady money to purchase a 50k car.

Not the best way to spend $55k, but congrats anyways.
pimp.gif
My sentiments exactly.

That's a lot of assumptions to make based on what little info you know about him...
eyes.gif
no assumptions need to be made. the two facts we absolutely know to be true are his age and the current economic outlook. it was a very unwisepurchase. that being said, everyone was stupid at that age, including me.

on to the car....it probably has little to no swirls in the clear coat so i doubt buffing is necessary. just strip the entire finish with a clay bar afterwashing with mild dish detergent, and seal with two or three coats of zaino showcar polish. it lasts for a long time if you maintain by washing with carwashformula soap that wont strip it off.

yea 34k is a good purchase man. altho no one would ever pay 55k for it in the first place, it is still a chunk off. RL is so hard to find though, so i guessyou got something not everyone has (like the TL) but also goes more unnoticed i think. definately a classy ride for someone that is 22, so hopefully no onethinks you took out your dad's car or something lol.

Originally Posted by realmc

i agree the RL is way over priced at $55,000 MSRP, however almost no one is actually paying that since in 2008 Acura only sold 4,800 RL's in North America. However It does retain its resale value alot higher then its German competitors based on reliability. The car will last longer then any BMW or Mercedes, the warranty is better, the parts / oil is cheaper, and just the overall cost of maintenance cost less, financially as well as headache wise... all for a car that while, maybe not leading the pack in the luxury/performance department, at $34,000 out the door it certainly does smash on anything else you would be able to get for that price.

This car does an excellent job of suiting my needs and what i am looking for in a car. Going from a 1995 Toyota 4runner that i got from my parents to this, i can say this is definitely enough luxury for me. BMW and Mercedes is for status, short term performance, and usually people who buy them don't keep them long and have enough money to buy a newer model every couple years, so they never really run into "reliability issues."

i am not rich by any means, and this car is something that i intend on carrying into the future for my everyday needs. With a $30,000 budget i could have bought all kinds of cars new or fairly new/used like bmw m3, mercedes e55 amg, jeep srt8. all luxury cars, definitely alot faster and cooler then mine, and i wouldn't mind having any of those, but i don't want to deal with the headache that comes along with german, american, or real high performance automobiles. plus the car i got is a 2008. i challenge anyone to find a 2008 model car w/ 4,000 miles on it, any brand, any class, for $20,000 off MSRP. If you can find one, then you got yourself one hell of a deal.

I definitely agree that if someone had the money to spend $55,000 on a car, that there are so many other cars to buy besides an RL that would be considered by some a better buy, but for the deal i got and the lifestyle i am trying to maintain, it would have been stupid of me NOT to buy this car.

with all that said i do believe lexus is more luxurious and a better buy then Acura RL. Acura had the legend ofcourse, but they also used to make integras which is definitely not a "luxury" car and is just now stepping their game up in the luxury department, while lexus has been setting the standard for luxury and flyness ever since drug dealers started driving GS's in the early 90's.

The thing that sets apart the RL from its competitors today is the SH-AWD. All wheel drive on the RL comes standard, while on some newer models like BMW 3 series AWD or Lexus is350 AWD, the AWD adds a significant amount of money added on to the base price, and are alot harder to find being sold at a good deal... atleast in my area.

Exactly, as long as you didn't spend near MSRP you've gotten a great deal. You seem to bring up other sedans, so is an SUV not an option for you?

that's what i'm sayin...

what if he didn't go to college and started makin bread outta high school or whatever...u ain't gotta go to college or be older to make mad money...c'mon man

at 22, you don't need to buy a 50k car, period. Who said anything about having to go to college..I made a broad assumption to relate with most instances where a 22 year old would be purchasing a car...being after graduation. Why don't you let the OP answer for himself...you're clearly too fickle to converse with.
At any age, you don't NEED to buy a 50k car, period. You just need to understand that his age doesn't necessarily make this a stupidpurchase, if he can comfortably afford it than that's that. Maybe YOUR situation wouldn't warrant a purchase like this, maybe his does.

and too fickle? just because I opposed what you said? you sound sensitive...

that's what i'm sayin...

at 22, you don't need to buy a 50k car, period. Who said anything about having to go to college..I made a broad assumption to relate with most instances where a 22 year old would be purchasing a car...being after graduation. Why don't you let the OP answer for himself...you're clearly too fickle to converse with.
This has gotta be the dumbest thing Ive heard all week.... Please let me know whats the BEST age to but a $50K car?

Originally Posted by yungmatt

that's what i'm sayin...

This has gotta be the dumbest thing Ive heard all week.... Please let me know whats the BEST age to but a $50K car?

roll.gif
i'd like to know too

Congratulations. I mostly use Meguiar's, but I haven't watched my car in ages because of the weather...

Originally Posted by yungmatt

that's what i'm sayin...

roll.gif
i'd like to know too
There is no optimal age to buy a $50k car. He was just making a generalization. Sure, there are some who are filthy rich or came up on some quickmoney, but most 22 year olds are:

- Right outta 4-year college
- Depending on the industry, probably not earning more than 45k
- Living at home or renting
- Have savings close to zero
- Preparing for loans

If the five above describes the person, buying a $50k car is by far the DUMBEST thing to do. It is one of the best ways to cripple your attempts at savingmoney and buying things that MATTER, such as property. As investments, cars are terrible...the second your drive outta the dealership, your car has depreciatedby 25-30% in value.

There is no "age" to buy a $50k car. You should only buy it if you can afford it (meaning you have the money to pay for it now and the future withoutcompromising anything else, such as mortgages/rent, college loans, and other bills). I earn six-figures and even I would say I wouldn't be able tocomfortably afford it.

$34k OTD for that car is steal; like I said before, Honda/Acura dealerships are unloading previous gen RLs and TLs at insane prices (TLs with Navi for $27kOTD, TL Type-S for $30k OTD). The RL is very, very underrated but not many will put up $55k for it considering the 5-series, GS, and even the E-Class swimaround in the same price range. $34k is a bargain. SH-AWD is great, tons of options, great interior, Honda reliability, and truly a head-turner considering therare instances you see them. Hate the rims, though.
laugh.gif

Again, nobody knows the OPs situation, but MexicanSoul's comments were for the average 22-year-old. And he's not wrong at all.

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

There is no optimal age to buy a $50k car. He was just making a generalization. Sure, there are some who are filthy rich or came up on some quick money, but most 22 year olds are:

- Right outta 4-year college
- Depending on the industry, probably not earning more than 45k
- Living at home or renting
- Have savings close to zero
- Preparing for loans

If the five above describes the person, buying a $50k car is by far the DUMBEST thing to do. It is one of the best ways to cripple your attempts at saving money and buying things that MATTER, such as property. As investments, cars are terrible...the second your drive outta the dealership, your car has depreciated by 25-30% in value.

There is no "age" to buy a $50k car. You should only buy it if you can afford it (meaning you have the money to pay for it now and the future without compromising anything else, such as mortgages/rent, college loans, and other bills). I earn six-figures and even I would say I wouldn't be able to comfortably afford it.

$34k OTD for that car is steal; like I said before, Honda/Acura dealerships are unloading previous gen RLs and TLs at insane prices (TLs with Navi for $27k OTD, TL Type-S for $30k OTD). The RL is very, very underrated but not many will put up $55k for it considering the 5-series, GS, and even the E-Class swim around in the same price range. $34k is a bargain. SH-AWD is great, tons of options, great interior, Honda reliability, and truly a head-turner considering the rare instances you see them. Hate the rims, though.
laugh.gif

Again, nobody knows the OPs situation, but MexicanSoul's comments were for the average 22-year-old. And he's not wrong at all.

He was wrong because he made the assessment without the dude even saying he put $15k down and financed the rest
laugh.gif

For all we know,He coulda had an accident settlement,hit it big at a casino,etc..

Whenever these type of threads get made, the "what you should do" comments get made.... *@%% is dumb. Not everyone lives the same lifestyle or hasthe same goals.

Congrats on the car OP

Back
Top Bottom