OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

^chill son, you're starting to remind me of JRain with all the
pimp.gif
and ridiculous claims.
grin.gif

Jamal aint an allstar. just calling it like i see it. he's 27 or so. if he hasnt learned shot selection now, he prolly wont learn it, ESP with Mike as thenew coach. he's the "best" player on this squad....but he needs to learn how to lead by example then he can call out teammates. we need someonewho can get on people. Q's been that guy but it hasnt given been the best results. de facto, whoever takes the most shots should be willing to bear themost criticism.

Gotta love Isola
indifferent.gif

[h1]Knicks hire Mike D'Antoni as 24th head coach with 4-year, $24M deal[/h1]
BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Updated Saturday, May 10th 2008, 5:36 PM

alg_dantoni-ref.jpg
Shamus/Getty
The Knicks gave their head coaching job to ex-Suns coach Mike D'Antoni on Saturday.

amd_dantoni-nash.jpg
Gossage/Getty
'Antoni built an offensive powerhouse in Phoenix with two-time MVP Steve Nash, but must now resurrect the Knicks.

Mike D'Antoni averaged 58 wins over his last four seasons with the PhoenixSuns and was the architect of one of the NBA's most exciting offensive teams.

Of course, he also had Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion executing his game plan. Now, he'll be working with Stephon Marbury, Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph.

Warm weather isn't the only difference between Phoenix and New York. D'Antoni is about to find out if his system can win in the rugged EasternConference with a roster that most coaches wouldn't wish on their worst enemy.

Donnie Walsh's first and most important hire as Knicks presidentraises as many questions as it answers. D'Antoni Saturday accepted Walsh's four-year, $24 million contract offer to become the Knicks' newestcoach/savior.

Walsh, who for two days denied that he was preparing to offer D'Antoni a contract, declined to comment. In fact, the Knicks waited until early lastnight to confirm D'Antoni's hiring, which was first reported early Saturday morning by SI.com.

The club released a statement that read: "The New York Knicks have agreed in principle with Mike D'Antoni to become the next head coach of the team. A press conference will be scheduled upon the completion of thecontract."

The Suns gave D'Antoni permission to interview with Chicago and the Knicks.Phoenix owed D'Antoni $8.5 million over the final two years of his contract.

Besides Walsh's credibility taking a hit, the Knicks' president is also taking a risk on a coach whose up-tempo style works only with certain typesof players. Also, D'Antoni has a reputation as a coach who does not stress defense.

When Walsh was hired last month, he talked of the importance of reestablishing the team's defensive culture. Instead, he hired a coach who angered hisbosses in Phoenix because the team wouldn't defend enough. Under D'Antoni, the Suns went 26-25 in the postseason, including a first-round loss toSan Antonio in five games this year.

"I think it is a terrible match," said one rival head coach. "I don't get it. Two of the biggest problems with the Knicks are that theydon't practice and they don't play defense. I don't know if that changes now."

Mark Jackson was perceived to be the front-runner in the race for the job, but Walsh did not speak to Jackson after their original interview two weeks ago.According to sources, however, Walsh led Jackson to believe that he was the leading candidate.

A source close to Avery Johnson claims that the former Mavericks head coach also was led to believe that he was the top candidate.On Friday, Walsh was involved in contract negotiations with Johnson's representatives.

In the cases of both Jackson and Johnson, it appears that Walsh was not forthcoming with either. The way things shook out also raises the possibility thatGarden chairman James Dolan was involved in the decision-making process.

Jackson's close relationship with Jeff Van Gundy may haveconcerned Dolan, who still has a problem with the last coach to lead the Knicks to a playoff victory. Plus, D'Antoni is the kind of big-name star whoappeals to Dolan, whose previous three coaches are all in the Hall of Fame - Lenny Wilkens, Larry Brownand Isiah Thomas.

When Walsh was hired, Dolan vowed that his new president would enjoy complete autonomy, and yet Walsh's first move - removing Thomas from the bench butnot firing him from the organization - had Dolan's fingerprints all over it.

For the past two days, people close to Walsh questioned his interest in D'Antoni. The general feeling was that the laid-back D'Antoni wasn't theright fit for the underachieving Knicks. There is also a feeling that he is too sensitive to survive the intense media scrutiny here.

A source close to D'Antoni said Saturday that he was "shocked" that D'Antoni would agree to join the Knicks.

"The money is great, so maybe that's the reason he took it," said the source. "If I were advising Mike, I would have told him not to takethe job."

D'Antoni is an assistant on the U.S. national team, which means thathe'll have to spend four or five weeks away from the Knicks as the team trains in Las Vegas and then heads to Beijing.

When he returns, D'Antoni's system could make the Knicks more exciting. Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson and David Lee are three players who could flourish under D'Antoni. Of course, it is worthnoting that Robinson is one of several players whom the Suns, with D'Antoni as head coach, rejected and eventually sent to the Knicks.

Robinson originally was a Phoenix first-round pick before he was traded here. The Suns also traded Quentin Richardson for Kurt Thomas, a deal that continues to haunt the Knicks. And when D'Antoni took overthe Suns 21 games into the 2003-04 season, his point guard was Marbury.

That relationship lasted 13 games - the Suns went 4-9 - before Marbury was traded to his hometown team. That deal enabled the Suns to clear salary cap spacein the summer of '04 and sign Nash, who went on to win two MVP awards.

As for Marbury, he's D'Antoni's problem ... again.

Someone shoot this dude now, please? And yea, the lottery has me shook. In a perfect world, we'd be sailing right about now knowing the #1 pick is ours.But of course, with the lottery not in our favor we can only pray.

This took me 3 tries
2prrxo1.jpg

This took me 5 tries
2eaijr8.jpg

This happened right after
nh0285.jpg

also judging from the last pic, we can now conclude that the lottery is for the top 3 picks in the draft, and 4-the rest is determined my reverse order ofrecord.

^^yeah i kneew that if the Knicks dont get a top 3 in the lottery will automatically choose after Milami, Seattle, Minnesota, and Memphis.

So basically if we dont get top 3 we need to hope that teams ahead of us do. I think it is impossible for us to get #4 i think we can get either 1, 2, 3, 5, 6,7, 8...

with that being said if we dont get lucky in the lotto we will most likely be #5 or #6

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

This took me 3 tries
2prrxo1.jpg

This took me 5 tries
2eaijr8.jpg

This happened right after
nh0285.jpg

also judging from the last pic, we can now conclude that the lottery is for the top 3 picks in the draft, and 4-the rest is determined my reverse order of record.

Curse the day that birthed the bastard
smh.gif

DERR-ICK ROSE
DERR-ICK ROSE
DERR-ICK ROSE

Has a nice ring to it being chanted in the Garden every year in June.

[table][tr][td]Source: D'Antoni Sees James As A 4 In His System[/td] [/tr][tr][td]May 12, 2008 - 11:14 am[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
James_LeBron_cle.jpg
Newsday -
The Knicks' new front office is dead set on having cap space when LeBron James becomes a free agent.

One person with knowledge of Mike D'Antoni's thinking suggested he "would probably use [James] at the four spot [power forward] ... He would fit in anywhere."

James is the mold of the ideal player for the D'Antoni system. "Ideally," the person said, "you would have a bunch of 6-9 guys who can handle the ball and shoot threes." [READ]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by allen3xis

DERR-ICK ROSE BUD-ING-GER

Has a nice ring to it being chanted in the Garden every year in June APRIL.
p1.budinger.jpg

*****!!!!
pimp.gif

were winnin the chip next yr...no1 gunna be able to keep pace with the high flyin fast paced knickerbockers....lets go boyssss....Nachbar wants to be aknick...i think he would be a great fit for us..he can stroke it and he has size

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Lol, but we wouldn't be playin in June with that $**$+.
hence i put "APRIL" you know how y'all like to get happy/hope for next season at the end of the current one
laugh.gif

^ I was perfectly content to leave y'all to wallow in y'all own sess pool until y'all made a public campaign/cry for Pooh, a Chicago boy! Hencey'all opened the door for me to voice my opinions and hopes
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

^^leave right now

agreed but this morons got a point. I aint getting excited for %*$* at least til not after May 20th.

but we got mad moves coming up i also heard TJ Ford's name come up, TJ is my main and i love his game and he would be great under D 'Antoni. iwould love TJ running th point for us... if we get Beasley, my man is still D Rosee though so until i know hes not an option im not discussing any PGs unlessit is Derrick Rose.

01a25c5e2baa3c1216c55ed039484cb5eae960d.jpg

comon please just come here
glasses.gif

Back
Top Bottom