Official Nike Air Max Penny 1 Updated - 2022 Retro Coming!

I must say...

Just got in my online pairs from FNL and the quality is a definite crap shoot. I even when the length to drive over to a FNL location to see if I can exchange for better quality ones and they were worse. I should have known better with Nike Retros.... 
mean.gif

My nostalgia of the ASG Penny's is there, but the quality of the OG ASG is not.

I feel like Nike doesn't care too much about the quality of nsw retro's like this because most people just care about having a retro looking shoe. Most people just care about the look and don't think twice about quality.

These people I'm referring to are the masses that flock to buy the newest thing just because they are the flavor of the week.

also

do any of ya'll have problems with the tongue sliding down lower than it already is when wearing them?

If you want a good quality retro jump on the Nike Command Force. I love these but they are not nice quality, and haven't ever been really IMO.

I feel like Nike doesn't care too much about the quality of nsw retro's like this because most people just care about having a retro looking shoe. Most people just care about the look and don't think twice about quality.

These people I'm referring to are the masses that flock to buy the newest thing just because they are the flavor of the week.
Repped because I agree with you. Don't forget another major part of this: Most of the people that you are speaking about weren't alive or old enough to remember either the quality of the OG nor have that "special connection" to the shoe because they saw one of their favorite players doing work in it.

One other shoe like that which comes to mind is the 2013-2014 Zoom Flight Glove releases. Quality not there like the OG, but Payton was my favorite player so I copped like every colorway, even the ones that just SAT. Had a high schooler flag me down one day asking me what they were. Had another younger cat ask me which XX8's those were because that was the only shoe he had ever heard of with a zipper/shroud. 
laugh.gif

also

do any of ya'll have problems with the tongue sliding down lower than it already is when wearing them?
nooooooooooo. say it aint so. this was the problem i had back in the day with my kamikaze 1's... it was such a problem that i had to return them, and it broke my heart.

As far as the quality goes, I never expected these to be good quality. Not at all. I stopped expecting that a long long time ago. Nike has givin us no reason whatsoever to expect this. That being said I'm pleased with this release because they're aesthetically accurate. Half the time nike ***** that up (air ups, penny IV :smh:) so I'm good with these. Not like I'm gonna be balling in em. Hopefully I can catch a 2nd pair for 80 or less. And I Hope they get the homes right like they did these. It does suck to see the decline in qual esp if u still have a set of ogs to compare but it is what it is. It's like complaining about the reverse jumpman on xis. They not changing that. And it sucks.

Last edited:

Blame Gentry.
Ever since he took over NSW he's given us some gems, but has disappointed in quality......he did the same when he was in JB.
The Gentry-fication effect :smh:

Finally got mine today. Finishline with the snail mail... Tongue seems a little short but quality ain't bad imo. The only thing I miss is the gigantic air max unit in the back. I remember as a kid seeing that and just thinking how cool it looked. I think if nike brought that back we'd all be cool with this release.

Nike is so profit hungry that they don't give a about  quality. They don't care about us, the consumers. That's why I rarely buy Nike products these days unless they feel good in hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want the penny 2 or 3 to re retro. Those are the ones that bring back so many memories

It's time for them too it's been awhile

need the 4s to retro the right way

Nike claims the mold for the ogPenny IV was destroyed. Hence why there was SC colorway. I'm sure someone that works there had am og pair to bring in to copy. AREBK employee brought his og Shaqnosis for them to copy.

Smh IV's are long overdue

They need to do it with the suede wrapped midsole this time...my bubbles just started to fog this year I could use a proper retro

Last edited:
Nike is so profit hungry that they don't give a about  quality. They don't care about us, the consumers. That's why I rarely buy Nike products these days unless they feel good in hand.

So what kicks do you buy now then?

Just curious...

Last edited by a moderator:

So what kicks do you buy now then?

Just curious...
Most non retro nikes and Jordans actually have solid quality. You don't rewlly hear too many complaints about the quality of the Lebron or kobe line or air max 20XX. Even the current jordan sig generally is regarded well. The design of the aj2012 was crap but the materials were nice (an example).

I mostly buy Puma's, New Balance & Adidas. When I do buy Nike I cop Air Max's I.E. 95,97,98, Air Max Plus. Once in a blue moon I will cop Air Force 1's if the quality and colorway is good. I haven't tried any of the Nike Kobe shoes because IMO the Adidas Kobe Crazy 8 is the best Kobe shoe ever (not to mention extremely comfortable). Jordan's are pretty durable I got nothing but love for Jay's, I still wear my 2007 Air Jordan VIII Playoffs and 2012 Playoff 13's. The last pair of Nike's I got just last month were the NIke Air Flight One's from 2012 in black/white, good quality on them especially for $80+ shipping. Let me know if any of you want the link. 

Last edited:
Here is the comparion:

Box:

I really liked the box, in which the Penny I home and Penny I road came in, so I do not really have a favorite here!

Picture from the top:

The retro seems to look bigger and you immediately notice the shorter tongue on the retro!

Picture from both sides:

again the retro seems bigger, the shoes are both size 9, maybe the OG version is smaller due to age, I am not a material expert!

Air Bag:

you can see the air bag on the retro being smaller, but it is not eye catching, relatively subtle!

1C on the heel and pulltab:

I actually like the 1Cent logo on the back of the retro more! Looks sharper, but is probably due to age! The pulltab on the retro seems to be longer as well, as it is hanging in a circle, while it is tight on the OG version.

Toe/ Front:

The retro seems to be longer in the toe area, which was a big surprise to me!

Tongue:

The retro is about 1/3 inch shorter than the OG, I am a low top sock guy, so I will have to see, how this fits and if the tongue moves a lot or not.

Resume:

very visible differences are the tongue and the length on the toe area, this immediately caught my eye! The air bag is not that obvious, I have not made up my mind yet, if I like the changes or not!

What I like is that color wise everything is identical to the OG, I especially like that royal blue background on the Nike logo at the toe area. Quality looks very good to me, no glue staines, marks or scratches, so better than on other releases!

I will start using the retro from next week onwards, then I will give feedback on comfort and performance!

Overall I am very happy that they released, now looking forward to the reds and hopefully the Retro of the Air Penny I home!

Back
Top Bottom