Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

Hey question so you don't let your kid watch tv? How old is he?
no regular tv. he just turned 3. my wife and i have done our best to raise him with minimal interaction with the tv and ipad/phone. it's just a personal preference. his first daycare didn't use tv/video at all. his new preschool will show videos on a tv once or twice a week. we try and take him out of the house as much as possible and engage him in discussions about whet he is experiencing. he goes to the zoo and aquarium once a week. he also goes to the museums, botanical gardens, children's discovery center, beach, playgrounds, short hikes etc. my wife and i will also read to him every night.

that being said, he knows how to navigate through an ipad/iphone to watch vids, look at pics, play garageband etc. he learned that stuff real quick by watching us and we have no worries that he won't be able to use tech when the time comes. he has a leap pad tablet that he can use for 20 minutes every night after he cleans up without being told. he puts away his 1 million cars and then asks for his tablet. i set the timer and as soon as it goes off, he knows to turn off his tablet and put it away without being told. there are many nights when i'd rather just turn on the tv for him and go on instagram myself but i figure i better spend as much time plugged in with my son before he becomes too cool to hang out with me :lol:

thanks man. that really means a lot coming from another father.
it's crazy how much of a privilege it is to be gifted with the responsibility for another human being and yet it DOESN'T COME WITH A DAMN MANUAL :lol: :smh:

I'm at the point now where I'm trying to be a great father and be a great husband and man it would be divine to Google all the needed steps and just wake up and start a 12 step Be a Better Husband/Daddy program lol we can all dream

I had that same convo with my wife and was telling her that we are all doing something brand new to us. Neither of us have ever been married, our son is brand new to a stable two parent household, our daughter of course new to everything, I've never had to be a father, she's now the mother of two going on three. And I told her that everyday is a learning experience. We can't handle life the way we did before because life is different.

word, me too fam.
pimp.gif
Legoland is great, but don't miss Sea World either. SD Zoo is impressive but tough to navigate the hilly terrain pushing a stroller, IMO.
As impressive as the SD Zoo is, I actually liked the Wild Animal Park in Escondido better. More wide open and I felt like the larger animals were actually happier because they could actually roam around more.

Man, I hate to say it buy my son has learned more from TV and iPad than I could ever teach him.  I'm always amazed when he says something smart and I ask where he learned it and he says he saw it on such and such cartoon.  Team Umizoomi has his math skills on point right now. 
I agree too. He's almost 3 and he learned his ABC's by age 2 from Leap Frog and he's already spelling some basic words and can count to 20 by himself and count to 70 once we start the next "10s" number.

For a while, I was turning on an episode of Pim the Panda on Amazon Prime every morning and he was learning basic Spanish too.

The Daniel Tiger songs are clutch too for helping him cleanup, brush his teeth, and deal with some of the emotions.

PBS shows are really the way to go for assisted learning.

Sup NT Dads,

Officially back at work today and I miss my little one. :frown:
when that was me i would stare at his pics/vids all day and feel like crap :lol:
if possible, have whoever is watching your kid send you some vids. unless it's a female watching your kid and you're married, then have them send the pics/vids to your wife and then have your wife send them to you :lol:

when that was me i would stare at his pics/vids all day and feel like crap
laugh.gif

if possible, have whoever is watching your kid send you some vids. unless it's a female watching your kid and you're married, then have them send the pics/vids to your wife and then have your wife send them to you
laugh.gif
Thank you for the emphasis lol.

Been slippin on the thread.
Check in and see kid pics everywhere :lol:
My big boy is playing his third season of baseball, first season of select baseball.
Their hats were somehow left out of the initial uniform order, and are getting the logos stitched in this week.

Last edited:
What kind of music do y'all play for ya kiddos. For the most part I try not to play any trap music and lean more on something older or reggae or r&b
Got a playlist just for them that I can vibe to as well. Sometimes I'll throw on that relevant turn up stuff but lately been some motivational stuff.

when that was me i would stare at his pics/vids all day and feel like crap :lol:

if possible, have whoever is watching your kid send you some vids. unless it's a female watching your kid and you're married, then have them send the pics/vids to your wife and then have your wife send them to you :lol:
Thank you for the emphasis lol.

good tip :lol:

Thankfully, babysitting is split between my father and my mother-in-law. My pops is ex military, so he sends updated pics every couple hours which is awesome. And when we pick up the little one, the dude has a complete list of feeding times. diaper changes, and activity and nap duration's :nthat:

My wife's mom on the other hand, we got a blurry photo of the ceiling the first day, so long story short....I'm in complete darkness about my princess from 8-5pm when she babysits :smh:

Last edited:
Going to see zootopia tonight without the princess *sigh*

She's in DC for a vacation. FaceTime me yesterday. I missed my little homey.

Going to see zootopia tonight without the princess *sigh*

She's in DC for a vacation. FaceTime me yesterday. I missed my little homey.
Zootopia out today? NIIIICE. Anybody see Kung Fu Panda 3....my uhhhh SON...wants to know
indifferent.gif

God I wish I had the luxury of grandparents or aunts to watch my kid. This damn upcoming daycare has me nervous. It's going to be hard for me to trust a stranger around my little one.

Bruhs that calliou dude
Is the damn devil
The bald head kid from the cartoon show
My kids are 8 and 9 so they don't watch
But my niece watches it
And maaaaaan she been acting out ever since
She complains and whines whe she doesn't get her way
And I think it's cause of that damn show
Yeah cry baby Calliou will have your kids whining and acting like straight brats.
He got banned in my house until my kids understood they aren't allowed to act like he does on that cartoon.
SpongeBob and his silliness ain't much better.
My kids be talking and acting like him and Patrick.
It only takes 10minutes of SpongeBob for the goofball crap to start poppin.

Back
Top Bottom