Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

July 8, 1998
wbmf8.png

Ebay,

Yeah man it's a cool camera. I'm just getting used to it and learning about doing stuff manually with this thing. I got the chrome tip, and I must sayit's looking pretty nice
pimp.gif
. All i need is a lens cap, neck strap, and a case to carry it in. It came with the 50 mm, respectively.

Now I have more questions for you Ebay. I need some sort of flash but have no idea what kind. Would the SB-400 work on this camera? I've heard great thingabout it plus it is really compact so I've had my eye on it when I was researching on a Nikon D40.

^No. I might physically function with it, but SB-400 and most of the more up to date Nikon Flashes TTL only with the more up to date Nikon DSLRs and more tothe point I don't think the SB-400 has a manual mode it's not even like you could meter the light and the manual adjust the flash. If you want a flashI'd get an older cheaper one that will TTL meter with the camera as otherwise you'll have to meter the flash. As for what flash or flashes will Idon't even know if that camera can TTL so I'd check that first and then find a flash from the same generation the camera is from.

^Excuse my ignorance, but what is TTL?

Well I will have to try to research that then. Wil any other kind of flash fit or does it have to be Nikon?

So i'm in the market for a macro lens but can't decide on what to get. Either the Sigma 50mm macro or the Canon EF-S 60mm. Reviews for both lenses arevery good but the Canon has a slight edge due to it's very quick AF and non extending lens like the Sigma. Both produce tack sharp photos but i don'tknow if the extra $130 for the canon is worth it. Someone on a photo board said the Canon has a slight edge for color and contrast. But reading reviews on theSigma no one ever mentioned that the Sigma is lower in thsoe departments compared to the canon. Anyone with any experience with any of these lenses pleasechime in. Thanks

Originally Posted by funkyfreshfelix

^Excuse my ignorance, but what is TTL?

Well I will have to try to research that then. Wil any other kind of flash fit or does it have to be Nikon?

TTL is Nikon's flash system which stand for Through The Lens and it determines how to flash by feeding off of data from the sensor

TTL isn't just a Nikon thing. but you're correct bout the Through The Lens part... Basically a sensor in the camera tells the flash when the framesbeen exposed it. It essentially relies on the ability of the camera having a sensor (the type and method vary in both film and digital) to measure when thefilm or sensor plane been fully exposed and the ability for the camera and flash to communicate that information. Some TTL systems are quite complex others notso much but it's basically essential for non metered shots.

But technically since I'm sure that camera has a flash sync and obviously a hot shoe I'm sure most flashes will fire it's just you'll have noway of knowing the proper exposure without TTL or just metering the light w/ the flash firing in which case you need a light meter...

i got an idea...

would anyone be interested in custom dslr straps? i was just looking at my canon strap and to be honest, im not too thrill about it, and i could use one w/othe advertising.

i was thinking, maybe some of you guys out there might know someone or place that makes custom straps.

we could have "NT" logo embroidered and maybe our username too on it or something haha

iknow i would def be interested

Originally Posted by Devanisgee

2648217261_b61d2d8d86_b.jpg

when I look at this shot, I can't help but think how much better it would be if you took a step to the right. other than that, i'm feeling it alot.

Originally Posted by ii2cky

i got an idea...

would anyone be interested in custom dslr straps? i was just looking at my canon strap and to be honest, im not too thrill about it, and i could use one w/o the advertising.

i was thinking, maybe some of you guys out there might know someone or place that makes custom straps.

we could have "NT" logo embroidered and maybe our username too on it or something haha

Haha! I am not sure about that ii2ck. As much as I frequent mostly this thread, i can't get down on a NT strap for my camera. Although I am surprisedno one has hopped on this idea before. I was talking to my friend like a month ago thinking that some street wear company is going to make a Gucci strap orsome print like that. I'll probably be the hypocrite right now and say that is fruity as hell but would buy one through time....

i got an idea...

would anyone be interested in custom dslr straps? i was just looking at my canon strap and to be honest, im not too thrill about it, and i could use one w/o the advertising.

you get a F for that Ricky!!

Originally Posted by Jaw Knee C

i got an idea...

you get a F for that Ricky!!
laugh.gif
Lol i don't know about my username, but a new strap wouldbe sick.

i got an idea...

I know kids at school who switch straps like they'll have a Nikon but they'll have like Leica or Rollei strap is probably the closet thing towhat you're talking about I've seen. That or I've seen pictures of a gold Leica with a Cuban link chain as the camera strap. And I've heard ofpeople doing the same with gold rope on DSLR which is kinda wack, where your strap is worth more than your camera...

But Idk bout custom straps. ehh. Idk. I figure if I ever blow up I'm definitely going to holler at Ben Baller and get a gold iced out like baby Rollei oncuban link, but as far as a functioning camera I don't know too many photographers who really care that much about the strap beyond maybe few random peopleinto the novety of having some part of camera they want (i.e. the leica strap).

i just got my 40d last week. im just beginning to learn about photography. ive always had an appreciation for beautiful photos.. so i decided to invest in adope slr, so every picture i take could look great. now im teaching myself about all this stuff... starting from scratch. i love it! im in israel right nowwith my camera... ive been taking tons of pics. i wish my net was faster here, but when im home ill upload everything to my flickr. i love photographing peopleand all sorts of other things.. here is a beautiful picture that i took yesterday in town.. wish it was a little more in focus but w/e, my hand isnt thatsteady yet =) .

ive always followed this thread, in fact a lot of members photos are saved on my comp! im looking forward to posting some of my own stuff in here now!

Originally Posted by DJ bana

i just got my 40d last week. im just beginning to learn about photography. ive always had an appreciation for beautiful photos.. so i decided to invest in a dope slr, so every picture i take could look great. now im teaching myself about all this stuff... starting from scratch. i love it! im in israel right now with my camera... ive been taking tons of pics. i wish my net was faster here, but when im home ill upload everything to my flickr. i love photographing people and all sorts of other things.. here is a beautiful picture that i took yesterday in town.. wish it was a little more in focus but w/e, my hand isnt that steady yet =) .

ive always followed this thread, in fact a lot of members photos are saved on my comp! im looking forward to posting some of my own stuff in here now!

Your pictures are as beautiful as you.
wink.gif

any tips for a noob? right now i have Nikon d40 should i be shooting on manual or set it to automatic? or does it depend on what & where im shooting?

Back
Top Bottom