Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

Originally Posted by AF187

I just started with photography , bought me a Nikon D60 a few weeks ago.. was my ISO to high (800) ? cause the 2 last ones are a bit grainy .. like i said im new to this .. aprreciate help
smile.gif

do you guys take the filter of when you take night shots ? ok thanks..

Downtown St.Paul

Downtown St.Paul

ISO might be a tad too high.. i was taught that the lower the ISO, the better quality and less grain and noise.. i always use a tripod or set my cam onsomething sturdy and use self timer when taking night shots or long exposures.. and it depends what kind of filter you have when taking night shots.. i.e.star.. if uv, then remove when shooting... btw, i'm not a pro
smokin.gif

Yes, keep the iso to the lowest possible for the quality.

ALSO, keep the APERTURE somewhere between f/11 - f/22. that way the lights will have a cooler crisp effect, otherwise it'll be "mushed." hard toexplain. also consider that the higher fstop number you put it on, the longer you will have to leave the shutter open.

Shooting my first wedding tomorrow.

Wish me luck gennel'mens..

My arsenal:

2dlohnn.jpg

Canon Digital Rebel XT with Battery Grip
Canon 5D
50mm 1.8
35mm 2.0
70-200 2.8L
Speedlite 430EX

My-T.

Work on your composition a little more and use your lighting to your advantage and you'll be pretty dope.

Alot of your shots are off center and off with the white balance.

My-T.

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

Work on your composition a little more and use your lighting to your advantage and you'll be pretty dope.

Alot of your shots are off center and off with the white balance.

My-T.
These were pics I took back in February when I was first getting into it. As a matter of fact it was my first time doing long exposure. I cannow see that my ISO was pretty high, centering pretty off, pretty much no rule of thirds applied LOL. I figured I'd throw em up. Here is some of myrecent work:

WB purposely set to florescent for dramatic blue tint
happy.gif

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

[Frank Lucas] My Man! [/Frank Lucas]

Nah I just stuck it on there for the picture to show what I had, I actually hardly ever use it, makes my pics look flat.

You can see my stuff @ www.flickr.com/boneystarks

My-T.

Nice work! Very impressive, how long have you been shooting? (thumbs up)

Canon EF-50mm f1.8. Good cheap lense under $100 for exceptional bokeh, but can lack in clarity IMO. When I do portraits, I use a 70 -200 f2.8 L IS. I canstill get the same bokeh effect, with far more clarity and stability.

hey MyTsharp, what's your experience on wedding photography? I understand it's your first, but was wondering if it's your first as the primaryphotographer or as just a 2nd shooter? I ask this because from what I heard, wedding photography is no joke. Even photographers who are excellent in otherfields of photography, including portrait, feel that they aren't confident enough to be the primary shooter for their first wedding. They tag along tomaybe 3 or 4 weddings as a second shooter just to get a feel of how much planning and pressure is involved. Again, you might already be aware of this, but justwanted to point it out anyway for those who assume that wedding photography is as easy as picking up a camera, lens, flash and just shooting. With that said, Iwish you good luck with your first wedding and hope that you post some of your best shots on here.

For those looking to do weddings some day, here is a pretty good read on the general gear, tips and what to expect:
http://photo.net/learn/wedding/equipmenthttp://photo.net/learn/wedding/equipment

As for me, I'm planning to develop my photography skills in hope of making some sort of profit from the gear I have invested in...ie. weddings. However Idon't see myself being ready to shoot one as a second or third photographer for another 2 years or so due to school and lack of proper equipment.

Originally Posted by phillipprettyugly

would anyone recommend a 50mm lens as a good portrait lens?

my friends want me to take their senior photos.
50mm is a good portrait lens on crop bodies, for full frame an 85mm would be more ideal. If you have a canon...the 50mm f/1.8 is a pretty decentlens in terms of image quality for price you pay. If you're looking for better build quality (note: the f/1.8 is almost entirely made of plastic) while notwanting to pay $1000+...the f/1.4 (which I finally picked up!) is the way to go.

A lot of talent in this thread. Great shots. I half @ss it and probably don't put nearly as much timeand effort into photography as most of you but heressome randoms. Any tips/suggestions are welcomed..

2751145001_8b6301884f.jpg

2828482115_864146a38d.jpg

2751978740_ca19bb75ae.jpg

2712854798_8e31a1e46e.jpg

2804339325_4eee45f4ec.jpg

2751979652_74d578cfbe.jpg

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

hey MyTsharp, what's your experience on wedding photography? I understand it's your first, but was wondering if it's your first as the primary photographer or as just a 2nd shooter? I ask this because from what I heard, wedding photography is no joke. Even photographers who are excellent in other fields of photography, including portrait, feel that they aren't confident enough to be the primary shooter for their first wedding. They tag along to maybe 3 or 4 weddings as a second shooter just to get a feel of how much planning and pressure is involved. Again, you might already be aware of this, but just wanted to point it out anyway for those who assume that wedding photography is as easy as picking up a camera, lens, flash and just shooting. With that said, I wish you good luck with your first wedding and hope that you post some of your best shots on here.

For those looking to do weddings some day, here is a pretty good read on the general gear, tips and what to expect:
http://photo.net/learn/wedding/equipmenthttp://photo.net/learn/wedding/equipment

As for me, I'm planning to develop my photography skills in hope of making some sort of profit from the gear I have invested in...ie. weddings. However I don't see myself being ready to shoot one as a second or third photographer for another 2 years or so due to school and lack of proper equipment.

Meh.

I feel as if I have a decent talent in taking photographs, the bride is a friend and actually came to me and asked that I shoot herwedding.. I shoot the public as freelance and make money on so the pressure really isn't there. I have all the proper equipment and have studied for about4 weeks about what I wanted to do, so I can only shoot and see what happens.

My-T.

^ Good to know. I am not at all questioning your ability to take excellent photos, just that experience in wedding photography is pretty crucial from whatI've heard. Be sure to post some of your best shots on here when you get back.

Back
Top Bottom