Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

Experts help.

Im torn between the two, Xsi or 40d.

Story:

Xsi I can get around 550-600 kit soon. Then I can be able to get one more lens. (looking at the 10-22mm, 100mm, or maybe a speedlite 430x)

40D I can get around 700 with lens, but that is after canon accomondation through best buy, so imma have to front out more money, and probably wont be able toafford a lens.

Users that either Xsi or 40d with glass, can ya help me out?

I really wanna pick up one or the other before I head up to phila, d.c, bmore for christmas so I can shoot some stuff.

Or should I just stick with my XT and get glass/speedlite, then upgrade the body after I get more glass?

You've got a lot of grain there so it looks like even though you're shooting on Manual your ISO is too high - you want to make it as low as possibly toavoid grain - but shooting on 400 or even 800 on an average camera shouldn't look bad.

The problem then is that you need a longer exposure time to make up for that - so you are more likely to get shake - which you're getting anyway.

You either need a tripod - if you are shooting stationery objects - or more light if you are shooting people and stuff.

Obviously use the largest aperture you can which reduces the exposure time - and is good for portraits too.

You could try using the flash - just make sure you don't get just harsh straight on light though - or just using more light.

The reason sunlight works well is because it is unbelievably bright - you just can't make inside your house that bright without burning it down.

That's why indoor portrait photographers have have setups like this:

k0sns5.jpg

thanks a lot kdwallace, i'll try everything you said, comments/advice arereally appreciated, I'll post when I figure it out

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

Experts help.

Im torn between the two, Xsi or 40d.

Story:

Xsi I can get around 550-600 kit soon. Then I can be able to get one more lens. (looking at the 10-22mm, 100mm, or maybe a speedlite 430x)

40D I can get around 700 with lens, but that is after canon accomondation through best buy, so imma have to front out more money, and probably wont be able to afford a lens.

Users that either Xsi or 40d with glass, can ya help me out?

I really wanna pick up one or the other before I head up to phila, d.c, bmore for christmas so I can shoot some stuff.

Or should I just stick with my XT and get glass/speedlite, then upgrade the body after I get more glass?
Lenses > Body. you should be straight with the XT but getting a speedlite 480 or a lens would be a hundred times better than upgrading toanother rebel body. the megapixel blah blah doesn't even matter that much imo. But if you were to upgrade your body i would suggest the 40D

a few random shots
3105421888_96de0a524d.jpg
3105422546_094a464dff.jpg

3081164713_4e708c5823.jpg
3081166971_9f5762d158.jpg

Originally Posted by a12ware89

Originally Posted by kdwallace

My pictures come out great outdoors but indoors they look crappy without natural sunlight,

Are you shooting on auto? If so I would try shooting on manual and change a few of the variables.

One of my pet peeves is white balance - make sure it's not set to auto as P&S cameras don't deal with indoor lighting well. Try shooting with a tripod or on a stable surface too to rule out the shutter speed/ISO problems - you can use a low ISO to avoid noise.

Post a few of the ones that didn't come out and I'm sure people will be able to give you tips.

I always shoot on manual here go some of the crappy indoor pics..thanks in advance

The problem is simply, lighting.

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

So no answer??

So I went ahead and joined the SLR club - SMH at forgetting to buy a Card!

Here's my new baby - Hopefully this is the last time I have to use my celly .. lol

You got any sample pics of you shooting with your new XSi?

ILLIONAIRE wrote:
elboricua 6 wrote:
So no answer??

So I went ahead and joined the SLR club - SMH at forgetting to buy a Card!

Here's my new baby - Hopefully this is the last time I have to use my celly .. lol

You got any sample pics of you shooting with your new XSi?

Yes I do .. I already posted some but here are some more ..

So with day 2 in the books - I'm pleased with what Im learning so far.

Here are some more pictures:

Once again, not the greatest pictures so C& C are more than welcome.

P. S. I was wondering, these are all posted as they come out from my camera, do any of you edit your pics before posting? I want to eliminate some of thebigger flaws in the George Washington Bridge, but don't know how .....

3104815337_a518aeeb9b_o.jpg

3104815899_787171e141_o.jpg

3104815173_077b222da6_o.jpg

3105647442_77bd2e7d8d_o.jpg

Originally Posted by Rky Mdna

if anyone wants a canon xsi, with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and the EF 50mm f/1.8 II. let me know. i'll let them all go for about 800 or so.
No offense dude but that's a little steep for that package. Here's an XSi with grip for $575. The 18-55 kit lens can be bought used forless than a hundred while nifty fifty goes for about $50. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=613358http://photography-on-the...m/showthread.php?t=613358

^^ I just bought mines for $580 with Kit brand new in box ....

amazon have the 50 1.8 for about 80 bucks NIB

Just ordered a Nikon BR-A2 reverse lens adapter and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. Hopefully I can pull off some decent macro with that lil setup, and still have thenifty fifty for... nifty shots. Some of the shots I've seen on flickr with that lens reversed are pretty dope.

My new pickup. I was planning to get either a 24mm f/1.4L or a 35 f/1.4L but I decided to get a Macbook instead since my Toshiba was starting to bug me. Now,gotta wait for stupid USPS to locate my 85L II and deliver it to me.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Just ordered a Nikon BR-A2 reverse lens adapter and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. Hopefully I can pull off some decent macro with that lil setup, and still have the nifty fifty for... nifty shots. Some of the shots I've seen on flickr with that lens reversed are pretty dope.

I've read about those reverse lens adapters and seen some pics that came out great but I've also read somewhere and people said that it either damagedtheir camera (mirror) or their 50mm lens. Most of the complaints came from D40 users though. (which I own) thats why Ive been hesitant into buying. Can youshed some light into this? If the rumors are true beware and try not to damage your camera.

^ Just make sure you order the correct one and you should be good. The BR2A is the revised version from Nikon.
The BR2A supersedes the old BR2 model. The BR2 apparently had a problem with the triple slot in the mount (functional in allowing the ring to be mounted at three possible angles) trapping the head of the "screwdriver" on the camera body (used for mechanical autofocus) and preventing it from turning, thus damaging the autofocus motor and gears. Therefore, Nikon states that only the BR2 should be used. While you could use a BR2 and avoid damage by setting manual focus on the camera body, there is a real risk that you may forget to do this, causing damage far in excess of the cost of a BR2A.
The BR2 was said to be incompatible with Digital bodies. the BR2A however, should work fine. Just remember that the camera wont meter, soyou're gonna have to play around with the exposure by looking at the histogram, and also, Manual focus only.

SaNTi0321: Good Lord, I saw a few pages back shots of FR Vs with (did I read this right) ISO 1600? Damn, man. Good looks.

I see a lot of Canon heads out there, but this question's for the Nikon heads.

I'm looking for a nifty-fifty for my D40X, but all of the ones I'm finding are older AF lenses. I'm okay with not having the autofocus, but doesanyone out there know if there's an updated 50mm lens with AF-S compatibility?

For the man that had all the questions about definitions and stuff, wikipedia.org has a great page on all things photography. Spend some time reading that andcheck out some photographers' flickrs and blogs. The nice thing about flickr, although I don't use it, is that it displays the camera that photos wereshot with. I think a lot of photography is just touch and feel. You can read all day long, but you're only gonna get the shots YOU want by playing withyour camera. It'll take a lot of time and dedication and feeling just plain stupid, but it'll be worth it when you're coming out with amazingshots.

By the way, don't forget to answer my question.
wink.gif

^ Yeah, there is a new Nifty fifty out from Nikon that can autofocus on the D40/D40x/D60. Only thing is that its gonna run you about $400 but it is an f/1.4 soyou're paying about $50 more than what you would pay for the old f/1.4. The new one is also weather sealed, and comes with a lens hood. Here's the linkto it on amazon, its sold out right now though.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/...p;creativeASIN=B001GCVA0U

hey what's up guys. my first time posting in here. in fact, didnt even know it existed! lotta nice stuff in here
i'm def a novice...just starting out. been shooting w/ my d40 since summer (dont have much time anymore cuz of law school..
eyes.gif
) here are a few of mine. c/c always welcome. thx

2761734068_695d421316.jpg

2761734074_8ba6dbbc47_b.jpg

2738205459_5d035071c8.jpg

Shot this yesterday. I need a wider lens.

3054530721_cb98e71bc4.jpg

I have a Nikon D80 body with MB-D80 for sale. Hit me up if you interested.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

^ Yeah, there is a new Nifty fifty out from Nikon that can autofocus on the D40/D40x/D60. Only thing is that its gonna run you about $400 but it is an f/1.4 so you're paying about $50 more than what you would pay for the old f/1.4. The new one is also weather sealed, and comes with a lens hood. Here's the link to it on amazon, its sold out right now though.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/...p;creativeASIN=B001GCVA0U
Thanks, man. Anyone with one for sale, hit me up.

About what Santi said with the 50mm for the Nikon's...I currently own a AF 50mm f/1.8 and its works great. Out of the 3 lenses that I own this is probablymy favorite out of the 3. Since the D series Nikons arent full frame camera's the 50mm comes out as a @75mm lens (estimated), if you want a true 50mm on anon-full frame camera try the AF 35mm f/1.4 which about $300+ (My friend owns one and I am convinced that I should get one) Don't get me wrong the 50mmthat i own is a great lens but I catch my self having to walk back just to take pictures on certain cases. So you might want to look into that before buyingthe 50mm.

I found a deal on those updated 50mm on slickdeals but they were sold out...if was on sale for 59.95. And they also had a deal for the 35mm (updatedversion...so it came with AF-S) for $375 not sure if its still there, I was buy one but I just bought a Sigma 18-200mm DG with HSM a couple of weeks ago so Ipassed on that deal.

Ritz camera also has a weekly sale so you might want to check there as well.

Back
Top Bottom