Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

^^^^^He's got some really cool photos. I really like the high contrast in a lot of his stuff and i think shooting at concerts takes a certain art initself. He really captures the energy of it all.

Can someone explain to me how you get colors like this on a photo? Is it a filter thing? I am sure he isn't suing photoshop achieve it.

2777174869_a1a6b47426.jpg

And I saw this pic somewhere and I thought it looked dope. I need to start taking some landscapes like that in SF.

0LaforetP051.jpg

Originally Posted by mjbetch

one photographer may think his work is less than good, and another may think it's great.

it's all in the eye of the beholder. kind of like a painting. ya know?
smile.gif

What?
laugh.gif

Art is not relative. I'll give you it's all art, but there is good and bad. There is certainly gray area but bad taste certainly exists, it's notan eye of the beholder thing, you can just have bad taste. You can disagree with that, but you're wrong, just bluntly.

Example: If you like Thomas Kincade paintings you have bad taste. That's simple fact. It's not a difference of opinion, it's bad taste.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

^^^^^He's got some really cool photos. I really like the high contrast in a lot of his stuff and i think shooting at concerts takes a certain art in itself. He really captures the energy of it all.

Can someone explain to me how you get colors like this on a photo? Is it a filter thing? I am sure he isn't suing photoshop achieve it.

I think its because its slide film, ebay you agree? I really dig that one as well. He shoots a lot of film it seems. In the show I went to he hada 5D with a Sigma 24-70 2.8 lens and a 580 EXII flash. He used the card that you can pull out to bounce the flash and he shot the flash straight against theroof. (LOL I couldn't avoid noticing all this as his photography style was a bit more bold than the usual fellas you see with slr's)

^^^^^You got to tell that to all the people that live in Cali. There are some die hard Kinkade fans out here that spend some duckets for his stuff.

Art is a tough subject. I think as a consumer, art can be relative. All walks of people love all types of art but these are the fans we're talking aboutand not the people actually producing art. As a critic, it should be very different cause you don't want to just tell everyone that "yeah...that'sart man! Looks cool!". There should always be room for improvement and for some constructive remarks whether if they may be right or not. I mean i am atough critic in my own right when it comes to things that I (think) have a strong hold of but I never disrespect people's craft unless they think they knowit all when they don't. Again....a touchy subject. Try talking to a traditional painter and tell them comic book art is.....art. The one's I have talkto won't budge.....but spend countless hours painting flowers and crap like that.

^^^^^You got to tell that to all the people that live in Cali. There are some die hard Kinkade fans out here that spend some duckets for his stuff.

Art is a tough subject. I think as a consumer, art can be relative. All walks of people love all types of art but these are the fans we're talking about and not the people actually producing art. As a critic, it should be very different cause you don't want to just tell everyone that "yeah...that's art man! Looks cool!". There should always be room for improvement and for some constructive remarks whether if they may be right or not. I mean i am a tough critic in my own right when it comes to things that I (think) have a strong hold of but I never disrespect people's craft unless they think they know it all when they don't. Again....a touchy subject. Try talking to a traditional painter and tell them comic book art is.....art. The one's I have talk to won't budge.....but spend countless hours painting flowers and crap like that.
so how about you critique my %!#% then ..
roll.gif

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

Art is a tough subject. I think as a consumer, art can be relative. All walks of people love all types of art but these are the fans we're talking about and not the people actually producing art. As a critic, it should be very different cause you don't want to just tell everyone that "yeah...that's art man! Looks cool!". There should always be room for improvement and for some constructive remarks whether if they may be right or not. I mean i am a tough critic in my own right when it comes to things that I (think) have a strong hold of but I never disrespect people's craft unless they think they know it all when they don't. Again....a touchy subject. Try talking to a traditional painter and tell them comic book art is.....art. The one's I have talk to won't budge.....but spend countless hours painting flowers and crap like that.
so how about you critique my %!#% then ..
roll.gif
I hardly have a strong hold on photography so this thread is always enjoyable just to look at stuff and get inspired. I must say though sincegetting into this stuff, I think I was more amazed at photos when I didn't see a lot of photos and now my mind has just so over saturated that a lot arejust starting to look the same.

But say the set that you took above.....all are...what...lifestyle shots? Even if it was like an editorial thing...it says what it says. You saw a pervert gointo a an adult store, you checked the time sideways, and some homeboy was nailing his face. Something if you are trying to tell a story like that..that has noreal meat, you got to really sell your photos. The only one in the set that really bothers me is of course the clock. Since it is something that actuallyconveys information, no one would ever look at a clock that way and that is how you have to look at it sometimes when people view your photos. Other littlethings I see is it would have been cool if you got more environment. A wide shot of the adult store....maybe it is located at bummy @%+ spot...or maybe not.The nail guy you should have got more in his face. That would have been a great potrait shot...more centered in the frame and closer to get more detail of thepain he is going through. I think the Obama ones are the best photos as a series or told editorial wise. I mean if I see a bunch of people holding signs thatsay Obama condoms, I am going to want to see it.

I mean this is just what I see. I might not see the technical sides of photography but there are so much more to it then just dope photos. I maybe wrong......

lol - thanks man - now you are pushing my patience when it comes to buying the 85mm .. lol - I couldnt get in some of these peoples faces because I just didnthave space or other reasons .. the photos are not meant to take anything - I just wanted to take picture of people - because I have never done it and well ifthey say anything it will be something like TS lifestyle or something along those lines ....

Anyways, thanks ..
happy.gif

Originally Posted by 165kicks

^^^^^He's got some really cool photos. I really like the high contrast in a lot of his stuff and i think shooting at concerts takes a certain art in itself. He really captures the energy of it all.

I think its because its slide film, ebay you agree? I really dig that one as well. He shoots a lot of film it seems. In the show I went to he had a 5D with a Sigma 24-70 2.8 lens and a 580 EXII flash. He used the card that you can pull out to bounce the flash and he shot the flash straight against the roof. (LOL I couldn't avoid noticing all this as his photography style was a bit more bold than the usual fellas you see with slr's)

Just off the cuff it's at very least made to look what I would guess is a contact print from 6x4.5 slide film but it's hard to say. If you show me awell printed print I can spot digital a mile away even the all the film filters you want. In well made prints you can't fake the funk but on theinternet/computer it's easy enough because of display colors and that the image is backlit on the internet.

As for defining art or it being relative. I think you can call virtually anything art. You can +!!* in a bag and call it art and I no problem with that.Whether it's good art is a whole another question. And the price paid to me is irrelevant, good or bad. I suppose you could argue relative to the audiencebut that goes back to my comment on taste, some segments of society just quite simple have bad taste in art. That doesn't make it not art. Just means youdon't have good taste. You can think that's an elitist mentality and I would agree but so be it… I didn't invent the mindset/status quo, I just buyinto it.
laugh.gif

Edit:
roll.gif
@ the last page.
smh.gif

Piece of advice just from my own experience with this thread, if someone takes photos you don't like or you think aren't good (not even consideringsome peoples qualification or lack there of to justify good/bad) or has equipment you think is OD to what they do keep it movin'. ##!% ain't changingbecause of what you say anyways so keep it constructive or say nothing, you're wasting your time doing anything else.

Originally Posted by Kickmatic23

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

What I would've done is shot it at an angle where the subject was between the old stadium and new stadium...kinda highlighting the old and the new.

My-T.
hmm.. good idea.. why didn't i think of that?
eyes.gif
if anything of the stadium is still up this weekend i'll go out there with someone and try to replicate the shot with your idea.. if possible.. thanks!
Aite so I just got back from Shea.. my plan was to attempt MyTsharp's idea... and security chased me away
mad.gif

I kinda got payback tho cuz the security guards drive around in their personal vehicles so I started snapping pics of him and his car and his plate.. don'tmess with the guy with the camera
laugh.gif

That's the second time today i was chased away by security. I went to this city park that's on a former army base, now a reserve station as well usedby the FDNY and NYPD and they told me I can be there but if i took one more pic they'd have to confiscate my camera.. is that legal? In a city park? Butwith private security? NT lawyers who read this thread?

Anyone else every get chased away by security when you trying to get a shot? Very unnappreciated.

Originally Posted by ebayologist

one photographer may think his work is less than good, and another may think it's great.

smile.gif

What?
laugh.gif

Art is not relative. I'll give you it's all art, but there is good and bad. There is certainly gray area but bad taste certainly exists, it's not an eye of the beholder thing, you can just have bad taste. You can disagree with that, but you're wrong, just bluntly.

Example: If you like Thomas Kincade paintings you have bad taste. That's simple fact. It's not a difference of opinion, it's bad taste.
laugh.gif
i guess you have it with the bad taste thing.

so lets say i like a photograph that is unorthodox and not something many people would like... and if I like it, that's bad taste right?

Originally Posted by ebayologist

smile.gif

What?
laugh.gif

Art is not relative. I'll give you it's all art, but there is good and bad. There is certainly gray area but bad taste certainly exists, it's not an eye of the beholder thing, you can just have bad taste. You can disagree with that, but you're wrong, just bluntly.

laugh.gif
i guess you have it with the bad taste thing.

so lets say i like a photograph that is unorthodox and not something many people would like... and if I like it, that's bad taste right?

People don't have to like something to know it's good. Good art isn't defined by the masses or even the art elite "liking it".

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Keep the goodness coming. (Pictures)

Just saw this...
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

that can't be real? good find tho

btw for anyone who read my story about Shea on the previous page... maybe there is a reason why they kicked me out today.. this is from a few days ago...
laugh.gif
devil.gif
(sorry for my poor ps skills)

3236916129_5dd52f9051_b.jpg

Note: they were obtained legally...

Santi are you editing that picture as we go? from fail to no .. lmao .. funny

Hey Kick - I been told plenty of times to keep it moving or do not take pictures. Hey that's the price you pay for being in places you shouldnt be ...sometimes I have questioned why and they have no answer so I just keep shooting and if they have a problem oh well .. but if they have a reason I just respectit and go about my business. Most if not all places that do not permit photograph have policies in place ... at least where I hve been told not to shoot. Lifeof a photographer I guess .. to bad I dont call myself one ..

Just wanted to share with you guys the BG I just made - What you guys think good wallpaper or not?

3236927701_f3cdaf0d25.jpg

Man, this thread is too active. Like 5 new pages every day.
laugh.gif

I don't like the amount of sharpness used in that shot, but it's me. But the high contrast makes it look very interesting.

the shot wasnt made to resemble anything like the original - rather to be used as a BG with cool effects ..

here's the original - you probably will like it better

3237811096_6d22cb3f47.jpg

What I would've done is shot it at an angle where the subject was between the old stadium and new stadium...kinda highlighting the old and the new.

My-T.
eyes.gif
if anything of the stadium is still up this weekend i'll go out there with someone and try to replicate the shot with your idea.. if possible.. thanks!
Aite so I just got back from Shea.. my plan was to attempt MyTsharp's idea... and security chased me away
mad.gif

I kinda got payback tho cuz the security guards drive around in their personal vehicles so I started snapping pics of him and his car and his plate.. don't mess with the guy with the camera
laugh.gif

That's the second time today i was chased away by security. I went to this city park that's on a former army base, now a reserve station as well used by the FDNY and NYPD and they told me I can be there but if i took one more pic they'd have to confiscate my camera.. is that legal? In a city park? But with private security? NT lawyers who read this thread?

Anyone else every get chased away by security when you trying to get a shot? Very unnappreciated.

Do you know if they had a sign that says "No photography allowed"? I'm in the military and most of the bases that I go to have a sign postedthat says no photography. technically they can't really confiscate your camera away. they can warn you to leave but there's no way they can just takesomething from you, specially if they are just private security. IMO next time this should happen and they threaten to confiscate your camera, tell them thatyou want to call the police and settle it with them.

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

My-T.
eyes.gif
mad.gif

I kinda got payback tho cuz the security guards drive around in their personal vehicles so I started snapping pics of him and his car and his plate.. don't mess with the guy with the camera
laugh.gif

That's the second time today i was chased away by security. I went to this city park that's on a former army base, now a reserve station as well used by the FDNY and NYPD and they told me I can be there but if i took one more pic they'd have to confiscate my camera.. is that legal? In a city park? But with private security? NT lawyers who read this thread?

Do you know if they had a sign that says "No photography allowed"? I'm in the military and most of the bases that I go to have a sign posted that says no photography. technically they can't really confiscate your camera away. they can warn you to leave but there's no way they can just take something from you, specially if they are just private security. IMO next time this should happen and they threaten to confiscate your camera, tell them that you want to call the police and settle it with them.
Here is the NYC Parks Dept info page on the park.. FtTotten. I've been there before.. they are very welcoming.. unless you have a camera on your neck. During the summer that place is packed I'm sure ican walk in and they won't say a word. There are no signs about photography. But i guess b/c the reserve unit there and the elite NYPD units and FDNYtraining facilities, I can semi understand where they are coming from. Sorry for not making it clear.. it's a decommisioned base.. they army'sremaining part is very very small.

Kick thanks for that link .. I will probably hit that place soon - I want to duplicate or should I say - make something like the picture with the bridgeoutside the window .. probably my view of it .. and some other stuff . lol

I dint see how they kicked you out because them fools be making tours and stuff and like you said on the summer I bet there are thousands of people takingpictures - so I don't see whats the big deal and if it was a reserve base usually you still have guards on post checking ID's - so maybe the Army justhave a unit inside the base but the park already belongs to the city therefore making it fair game ..

"Urban Parks Rangers lead regular tours of the fortress and the wildlife "

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

Kick thanks for that link .. I will probably hit that place soon - I want to duplicate or should I say - make something like the picture with the bridge outside the window .. probably my view of it .. and some other stuff . lol

I dint see how they kicked you out because them fools be making tours and stuff and like you said on the summer I bet there are thousands of people taking pictures - so I don't see whats the big deal and if it was a reserve base usually you still have guards on post checking ID's - so maybe the Army just have a unit inside the base but the park already belongs to the city therefore making it fair game ..

"Urban Parks Rangers lead regular tours of the fortress and the wildlife "
well to enter the park its a two way road and a guard booth.. theres a parking lot outside you can't drive in. so as you walk path the booththey saw me.. in the summer people flock in and out cuz there's soccer fields and stuff so im sure because its deserted i stuck out like a sore thumb.great place for pics.. inside and out of the park.. recomend it to all photographers here on NT who live in NY.. worth the trek even if you live outa queens..hit me up if you go there anyone! Sneak them cameras in

heres the entrance.. some of pics on flickR if you wanna see how nice it is.. all historical and very out of place for NYC
1e015fe690b466a6b050e00ed8b1867a1b7555e.jpg

Kick dont worry man if you go with me we are going right inside with my car .. DoD ID for the Win - that is if they still let DoD visitors in with vehicles ..if not we are SOL! LMAO!

I'll call tomorrow to see what's good ..

Back
Top Bottom