Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

My take, Santi just let me know if it's not ok that I post a re-edit of your shot..

3420008227_1a1e1ceb70.jpg

i need c&c for these. Are these any good pics' of "still life" ? Any other ideas i can use? Thanks NT!

3e5252de29e1d291231b8008588041cd2186253.pjpg

20135659e4b9e1ba246926f5b1631c64ec31f5c.pjpg

99b3555fe9c7ec2b242b29e6b9d21ab9dde6aeb.pjpg

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

some recent pics from a formal at UofI. Story in my blog, more pics in my Flickr.
1. Love the lens flare on the first one. I think it gives the subject life.
2. Lighting on the second one is really interesting. I'm curious how you managed to shoot that with ISO 1600 and get no grain on there.
3. DoF on the third one really makes it pop.
4. I don't really know what to say. It's just cute. Whatever.

This thread's been seriously popping the past few days.

23kidd - I'm not sure what you want to tell with those photos but you may want to use a different light source.. maybe natural light from a window. Thenyou may want to adjust whitebalance, contrast and saturation. The main issue to make it an interresting photo is the object though..

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

This thread's been seriously popping the past few days.

Dude....this is one of the longest running threads ever on NT. Almost going to hit 10,000 replies...and hit has nothing to do with breast, booty or anything ofthat matter. Just photography.

We go hard son.....

165kicks

I was assignedto a project and the project is basically tking still life pictures...
i tried some of my ideas and those two pics are the only good pics i took lol...so i was thinking if anybody in here could help me out . Im a newb atphotography..so any help would be appreciated!

Originally Posted by 23kidd

i need c&c for these. Are these any good pics' of "still life" ? Any other ideas i can use? Thanks NT!

3e5252de29e1d291231b8008588041cd2186253.pjpg

20135659e4b9e1ba246926f5b1631c64ec31f5c.pjpg

99b3555fe9c7ec2b242b29e6b9d21ab9dde6aeb.pjpg

Let me just share my 2 cents. Aside from the technical aspects of the photos (white balance issues, clarity, etc), the first thing you should try to grasp iscomposition. It's tough for me to even lecture like this since I struggle with that same problem all the time but with still life photo since they are notmoving, you should be able to frame a photo to exactly how you want it. This might seem cliche to say as a critique, but get ins some angles with your photos.These seem very bland and just shot as is. Try some perspective shots. Shot from the top, bottom, left to right and vice a versa. Like example with the cups,stack them so all the handles kind of flare in each direction and shoot from the top so you get an interesting shape. Also if you have to shoot something fromthe side, shoot off of the subject. Have it cut off or something....get something really abstract. Poor some coffee in that bad boy and get that steam effect.

These are just ideas I am throwing out....but you get what I am saying. Hope that helps....and some examples:

2457710957_fc9823e1fc.jpg

just_a_cup_of_coffee____by_MorkOrk.jpg

SuperStock_1439R-1073507.jpg

A_cup_of_coffee_by_shhilja.jpg

23kidd: Mess around with black and white, contrast, etc.

30sdbhz.jpg

Also, what were you shooting with? Or what did you use to resize the photo?

I see your point fongstarr..i just gotta be more creative with my pics. Thanks for the tip! ill post up the im gonna take soon.

Santi-im using a d40, got it as a gift so i decided to learn a little more about photography so im taking classes, and i use picasa and i cropped thepictures.

Yeah, the main things 'wrong' with those pics are the white balance and the composition - the top being chopped off the bottles or cups being the mostglaring.

No harm in shooting boring subjects to get the technical aspects down - the hard part I find is composing 'good' pictures.

Originally Posted by rizobs

Originally Posted by FlyingEMU05

Originally Posted by Apollo XXXIII

Originally Posted by norcalballgirl23

pretty good review i read a couple times before i ordered my 35mm f/1.8G some of you may find it helpful/informative as
well

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htmhttp://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

Ken Rockwell...
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif

excuse my ignorance but why does everyone hate on ken rockwell? on other forums people discredit him too.
i like kenrockwell. he has some good pointers and articles. but he does contradict himself a lot. ie, he was saying film is the way to go and he flips back and forth between digital and film. he also loved the D80 when it first came out. now he says that it is a waste of money.

i use him as a point of reference for a lot of things, but do my in depth research thru other forums or customer reviews.

I'd absolutely agree - I enjoy some of his more technical articles - but he's the boring guy at a party - knows everything about everything.

I don't think he flip-flopped on the D80 though - he just thought it was great when it came out but now the new stuff is better - that's not changinghis opinion, just taking into account the latest technology when he chooses his favorites.

23kidd- 1st two are OK...third one doesn't have an appeal for me. However, from your 1st attempt to this one, I would say good job!

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Looking through my old photos on my computer, I decided to open up photoshop and re-edit some of them. I'm pretty pleased as to what I've learned through the couple of years I've been into photography. White balance, exposure, color, etc. I'm definitely going to go back and edit a lot of my old shots when i'm bored. Here's a sample.

Old shot:

2286685697_90d09751e4.jpg

New edit:

3419863183_80043d1be6.jpg

Big difference IMO.

Yeah, I'm pretty new but my friend was like SHOOT RAW and the difference those sliders can have are crazy.

Originally Posted by AIR Kamote23

23kidd- 1st two are OK...third one doesn't have an appeal for me. However, from your 1st attempt to this one, I would say good job!

Yeah....much better dude! Good to see the improvement and it should only get better as you shoot more. I like the candle one....but I bet if you PS'd it alittle to get a more drastic lighting effect, it would look a little better.

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

some recent pics from a formal at UofI. Story in my blog, more pics in my Flickr.

2. Lighting on the second one is really interesting. I'm curious how you managed to shoot that with ISO 1600 and get no grain on there.
Is call having a FF frame camera and a 5DII for that matter ... plus the 24mm L is a beast of lens ... Can't wait to play with the35L this weekend oh and 135 aswell .. Time Square here I come .. going to be shooting some candids this weekend, hopefully!

ups

Thanks for the compliments
happy.gif

Unfortunatly i dont have/or know how to use PS...ill probably but it when i get the hang of this.

what camera you have? you can always set the white balance before taking the pictures ..

also, you can download a free copy of PS CS4 or Elements which is the chopped version of CS4 but still a good program and actually a lot cheaper inwww.adobe.com ..

Question is kinda dumb but whatever, is there any difference while shooting on a d60 on the modes of normal, softer, vivid,more vivid, and portrait in theoptimize image menu?

Back
Top Bottom