***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Seriously, let's just split this country up. It's way too big anyways. :lol:

Its moments like this where this grand experiment that is the United States of America 50 states(countries really) working together under one unified government will work. I believe it can but this moment is not encouraging.
Well this was the reason for the empowerment of the states when the US was first formed. Presidential powers are limited.

The crazy thing is that Trump got less votes than Romney and McCain and still won.
Which is why the electoral college is BS. Something must be done about it.
I propose the presidency should reflect the votes. Win by more than 10% and it's all yours. Anything less and there is a split... Let's say it's as close as yesterday's vote. That means you each get a 2-year term. :lol:

Or more realistically each candidate gets to choose cabinet members or congressional representatives based on the percentage of the popular vote they received.

This is all just so unbelievable to me.

Theres nothing we can do now, just sit back and hope he doesn't deliver on the hateful messages he's been saying. It's a major punch in the GUT, knowing we can't do anything for at least 4 years!

It will be really interesting to see if he delivers his word on

- Indicting Hillary

- Building the wall

- Banning muslims

- Repealing Affordable Care Act ( Most likely by the House pressure anyway)

- Mass Deportation

- among other stuff he promised

You can get out and try to help stop the hemorrhaging by voting in 2018 to split up congress and take back control of one chamber at least

As a Bernie donor (The only [political campaign I have ever donated to) has anybody considered that Hillary Clinton was and always been a bad candidate? Has it sunk in a whole boat load of people that voted for a black president in some cases twice could not bring themselves to vote for Hillary Clinton and in some cases drove them to Donald Trump? Also has anybody talked about how this might not be about racism at all? The Klan votes in every election for somebody. Maybe you can't declare open season in every form of media know to mock a large minority of Americans and not have them unite and do something about it (perception is reality). I think painting this election as some sort of black/white good vs evil struggle is a mistake. We need to learn the why. The real why. Saying that almost exactly half our fellow citizens are just big racists (and whatever else you can think of) is more likely than not true. My 2 cents.

The fact that Hillary "drove" people to Trump says more about the people voting for Trump than Hillary herself.

And saying the part in bold really just eliminates any idea for a serious discussion.

This.

Like really, Hillary Clinton of all people was so unbearable that you had to vote for the incompetent bigot. :lol:

Voters need to own there choices, and stop making excuses to why they "couldn't" do something

For those that might have more knowledge regarding this, why is it so difficult for there to be a multi party system in this country?

French sociologist Maurice Duverger theorized in the 1950s that this kind of setup leads to what is effectively a two-party system. “Duverger’s law” states that third parties can’t compete because there is no prize for winning, for example, 15 or even 25 percent of the vote. This leads voters to choose candidates who are most likely to win, and it leads the parties to try to broaden their appeal to half of the electorate — and ideally more.

Parties at risk of splintering will do whatever they can to avoid third-party candidates. When voters favor a party’s political ideals but have a choice between two candidates who both support those principles, that party will lose the election because those candidates will split the votes, allowing the other party to win with a plurality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-there-only-two-parties-in-american-politics/

[It comes back to being INSPIRED to VOTE]

This is exactly what's wrong with many people in this country. People believe they have to be inspired, in love or a huge fan of a candidate to vote for them. WRONG. The eligible voter population isn't 10 yrs old. You shouldn't have to promise people the world or get them overly enthusiastic get them to do something millions of African Americans and women couldn't do just a century ago.

If you're eligible to vote, you have a RESPONSIBILITY as a citizen to vote. Even if it is just for the lesser of 4 evils.

I agree every citizen in this country has a civic responsibility to vote in every election. I stress that to everyone in my family, friends, etc.

It's amazing when you volunteer to work a campaign phone bank, how many ill informed citizens we have in this country that don't even know the 3 branches of the US Govt.

I feel you but when you consistently vote and you only see one group actually benefiting, you get tired of not reaping any of the rewards of your labors/patronage/etc. Black people helped put Obama in office as well as other groups and the only groups that benefited most were Latinos and the LGBTQ groups. When you get a president that looks like you and still come out empty handed, that's demoralizing to many.

I understand many that voted for Obama are disappointed. I am too. He was the first person I was of age to vote for and I thought he could have did a lot better. But when you don't vote at all, essentially you're saying your don't care about the outcome. And essentially you don't have a right to complain when the elected president fails the country.

The fact that Hillary "drove" people to Trump says more about the people voting for Trump than Hillary herself.

And saying the part in bold really just eliminates any idea for a serious discussion.

I'm a little behind but I did not bold anything. I believe it was quoted and was put in bold. I am curious even if I did why could there not be serious discussion? I simply stated I don't believe half the population are racists.

This is exactly what's wrong with many people in this country. People believe they have to be inspired, in love or a huge fan of a candidate to vote for them. WRONG. The eligible voter population isn't 10 yrs old. You shouldn't have to promise people the world or get them overly enthusiastic get them to do something millions of African Americans and women couldn't do just a century ago.

If you're eligible to vote, you have a RESPONSIBILITY as a citizen to vote. Even if it is just for the lesser of 4 evils.

I get what you're saying but you're fighting thousands of years of human nature. Those Romans weren't crossing the Rubicon if they didn't believe. The pre-game speech before the big game would not exist if people didn't actually need the push. Heck man people wouldn't need music at the gym that pushes them. Fact is all the truly good historical leaders were inspiring and they pushed people beyond caring about more than just their own circumstance.

Spot on post

It might be counterintuitive but a lot of people really do need to be "wooed" to inspire to them to actually get up off their ***** to vote. They need to feel like they're a part of a cause they believe in that's bigger than themselves

Last edited:
It comes back to being INSPIRED to VOTE.

Look what happened in 07... housing crisis, stock plunge, high unemployment, Iraq war... people came out to vote cause Obama inspired us all. That same energy Obama had Trump had in 2016.

I learned from volunteering at phone banks, that citizens as a whole aren't overly concern or know much about politics. The answers I received for simple political questions were mind boggling.

I feel you but when you consistently vote and you only see one group actually benefiting, you get tired of not reaping any of the rewards of your labors/patronage/etc. Black people helped put Obama in office as well as other groups and the only groups that benefited most were Latinos and the LGBTQ groups. When you get a president that looks like you and still come out empty handed, that's demoralizing to many.

Yeah but it also comes down to understanding civics. Obama probably did as much as he could within his power.

Congress is the real prize, and that keeps getting ignored.

So what if you don't like Clinton, at least vote down ticket.

You, I, and select group know this Rusty but many people don't. They only know the President of the United States. Many people don't realize that he doesn't make the laws, only executes them.

On top of that, it's pretty redundant to argue voting the down ticket when a majority of these candidates run unopposed.

I'm saying, but it's not surprising. Some people in their ivory towers literally only worried about self. There's no empathy for anyone else.
What are the job outlooks up there in Washington?? 
nerd.gif

You can get out and try to help stop the hemorrhaging by voting in 2018 to split up congress and take back control of one chamber at least

^^ Certainly at the very least I hope.

I seriously hope Trump calms down and starts to act more Presidential. He will be leading the whole country, with the whole world watching.

This is all just so unbelievable to me.

Theres nothing we can do now, just sit back and hope he doesn't deliver on the hateful messages he's been saying. It's a major punch in the GUT, knowing we can't do anything for at least 4 years!

It will be really interesting to see if he delivers his word on

- Indicting Hillary

- Building the wall

- Banning muslims

- Repealing Affordable Care Act ( Most likely by the House pressure anyway)

- Mass Deportation

- among other stuff he promised

Brah, 2018 might be the fight to stop the super-majority :smh:

not surprised by the cubans, they really think they dont fall under the same group as south and central americans, 

this goes for all those island latinos who are so up their own butt they dont realize that we are all being lumped together.

THE PRESIDENT IS NOT A DAMN SUPERHERO! I wish people would stop with this nonsense. Yea you voted for Obama twice, but did you/we vote for the Dems in the midterms to actually give him a congress to work with to pass more initiatives that would help out community? No we didn't. The ACA was a huge benefit to poor blacks especially, what exactly did you want him to do. Wave a magic wand to end white supremacy? But the reaping what has been sewn is going to come swiftly now, going to tear down nearly everything he worked for, as well as have these loons like Ruddy in charge of criminal justice departments. Whatever progress you think he didn't make an effort to do, it's for damn sure not going to happen now, and is likely to go in the opposite direction. Stop and frisk nationwide, law and order, more emboldened police, and the probable continued neglect of education in our communities. Oh it can get a hell of a lot worse.

It comes back to being INSPIRED to VOTE.

Look what happened in 07... housing crisis, stock plunge, high unemployment, Iraq war... people came out to vote cause Obama inspired us all. That same energy Obama had Trump had in 2016.

I learned from volunteering at phone banks, that citizens as a whole aren't overly concern or know much about politics. The answers I received for simple political questions were mind boggling.

Yeah but it also comes down to understanding civics. Obama probably did as much as he could within his power.

Congress is the real prize, and that keeps getting ignored.

So what if you don't like Clinton, at least vote down ticket.

You, I, and select group know this Rusty but many people don't. They only know the President of the United States. Many people don't realize that he doesn't make the laws, only executes them.

On top of that, it's pretty redundant to argue voting the down ticket when a majority of these candidates run unopposed.

Not on the federal level though. And at the state and local level this is where grassroots movements (Hey Green Party) can make some waves. Since they won't have to carry the baggage of the national party.

I wouldn't be concerned as much if the House and Senate where Dem.

Brah, 2018 might be the fight to stop the super-majority :smh:

I wonder how many things will get passed in the first 2 years.

Crazy because I will be in Cancun in January, then flying to Havana for a few days and I arrive the day before Inauguration day!

Hope I don't get held back, :\

What do you guys say to someone who says this:

2,499 U.S. soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan and Iraq so far under President Obama, according to the independent Iraq Coalition Casualty Count.
—Of those, 1,906 have been killed in and around Afghanistan, and 593 in Iraq.
—Under Obama, the United States has been at war for 2,687 days. That's longer than under George W. Bush — or any other U.S. president, for that matter.
—Obama has conducted airstrikes on seven countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen, Libya and Syria. (That's three more countries than George W. Bush bombed.)
—U.S. combat forces are deployed on the ground in three countries: Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria. That's one more war than Obama inherited, and which his successor will likely have to contend with.

^^^^ You'll be fine, but if anyone wants to visit Cuba, you should probably book that ticket soon.

One of Trumps main objectives is undoing everything Obama has done.

I admit that foreign policy isn't gonna be remebered as Obama's strong suit in many ways and Ive been critical of a lot of his actions but but just take a good look at what the man inherited first before making your opinion...

Last edited:

Supreme Court Justices have no term limits?

Do you even America, bro? 
laugh.gif

Not even trying to be an ***, but how can you be a voting adult and not know the answer to this?  

I'm sorry I don't know as much as you, bro

Forgive me.

No need for apologies.  I know you voted for HRC, but it's still vital to understand how things work in our country b/c it DOES affect you and yours.

At least now you know and can pass that knowledge on to those who may not.   
I was being sarcastic breh
laugh.gif
i'm not going to apologize for having gaps in my knowledge. Everyone has gaps. I guarantee there are millions that don't know this fact. But yea, I agree. Glad I know now.
Clearly you were being sarcastic.  I wasn't.  No need to apologize for gaps in your knowledge.

But now look at it from my perspective.  You're a voting adult.  It's VITAL that we all grasp the importance of what our vote could affect and who it could affect, otherwise what are we really voting for?

And I agree with you that there are probably millions that don't know this fact.  AND THAT IS VERY SCARY TO ME b/c there was sooooo much more at stake with this election than just Trump vs. Hillary.  

^^^^ You'll be fine, but if anyone wants to visit Cuba, you should probably book that ticket soon.

One of Trumps main objectives is undoing everything Obama has done.

^^ Yea I know that's why it so close to the day he takes over.

Literally the only good thing to come out of this was the mexican peso dropping compared to the dollar. It will be cheaper to buy stuff, which it was already.

Back
Top Bottom