***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Cyej_4YWEAAEpJV.jpg

When you wanna give massive tax cuts to you and your rich buddies so bad you make a deal with devil. :lol:

This is begging to get meme'd

*record scratch*

*freeze frame*

Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

Howlin :rofl: :rofl:

Trump bout to boost the economy something cray. We all gonna be able to buy big family homes and drive M3s, except Ninja, he'll drive da Hemi and will opt to stay at home but will however make his first visit to ikea for a new bed frame.

Thank you Trump Gawd!

$1 billion should create 10,000 jobs paying 6 figures... what a scam.

An employee who makes about $50k costs about $90k for the company to hire.

You have to factor in overhead to come up with a fully burdened labor rate. So it's more like 10,000 jobs paying $50k.

Last edited:
$1 billion should create 10,000 jobs paying 6 figures... what a scam.

An employee who makes about $50k costs about $90k for the company to hire.

You have to factor in overhead to come up with a fully burdened labor rate. So it's more like 10,000 jobs paying $50k.

Pretty much, hiring, taxes, etc.

Now if the person is hired as a contract employee then things change

media covering his ******** tweets are playing right into his hands.

meanwhile he's preparing to privatize medicare, take health insurance away from millions, hire an unqualified treasury secretary from Goldman fing Sachs, who pushed predatory loans and foreclosed on working people.

Again it's a total system failure from the institutions we rely on to defend democracy. :smh:

This is as good a description of whats happening than anything I've heard since election day.

We always hear how important journalism is to keep people honest and protect our collective ideals. With how the internet led to the decline of real journalism over the last decade or so, we should have seen this happening. Journalism has been eroding for as long as I can remember, and now that we need it it's not even a shell of what it used to be.

I'm hopeful that the internet also gives the platform to those people who need to be speaking up right now. I'm just not sure the general public is interested in actually seeking out and vetting news sources.

This is as good a description of whats happening than anything I've heard since election day.

We always hear how important journalism is to keep people honest and protect our collective ideals. With how the internet led to the decline of real journalism over the last decade or so, we should have seen this happening. Journalism has been eroding for as long as I can remember, and now that we need it it's not even a shell of what it used to be.

I'm hopeful that the internet also gives the platform to those people who need to be speaking up right now. I'm just not sure the general public is interested in actually seeking out and vetting news sources.
What has happened since election day is that lefties have continued sour grapes and false flags, while the media under reports it.

If the general public is at all like NT, people will get their news from laci green, then climb a hill and start yelling daddy style isms, from a top a cyldesdale

[thread="509493"]Again it's a total system failure from the institutions we rely on to defend democracy. :smh: [/thread]

The internet isn't the reason why journalism is failing democracy. It's capitalism, the rise of the 24/7 news network, and the quest for ratings. They got rid of foreign bureaus first (which reduced the presence of news outlets on the ground), then cut down on the number of investigative journalists and field reporters and sourced their info from large news agencies (AP, Reuters). Now, even journalists are being replaced by software to write articles.

What I wanna know is...

Is Ninja gonna stick around these parts when our economy crumbles and we go into WW3

I was checking my spam email and saw I had a message from James Comey of the FBI telling me that I could collect millions of dollars. It reads like a Nigerian scam.

Normally I would dismiss these as fake, but knowing James Comey, I think this might be the real one!

What I wanna know is...

Is Ninja gonna stick around these parts when our economy crumbles and we go into WW3

Of course, still got some Obama blaming to do. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if he blamed FDR and the New Deal as well.

[thread="509493"]Again it's a total system failure from the institutions we rely on to defend democracy. :smh: [/thread]

The internet isn't the reason why journalism is failing democracy. It's capitalism, the rise of the 24/7 news network, and the quest for ratings. They got rid of foreign bureaus first (which reduced the presence of news outlets on the ground), then cut down on the number of investigative journalists and field reporters and sourced their info from large news agencies (AP, Reuters). Now, even journalists are being replaced by software to write articles.

On point post. Old school, hard-hitting investigative journalism has almost been totally replaced by non-substantive stories being covered for hours on end that are geared towards attracting more viewers. That's why you've seen so many legit journalists leaving the big networks for smaller scale projects. The need for actually holding power accountable has just about dissipated completely as the need for ratings/profits replaced it.

Last edited:

[thread="509493"]Official Political Discussion Thread/45120#post_27024670​[/thread]

I completely agree, but I think the rise of 24/7 media is a direct effect of this constant information era. Where people are glancing at their phones 1000 times a day looking for the next story. I think a lot of the reason all these things are happening has to do with the attention span of this generation. People are more interested in consuming than they are what it actually is they're taking in, and the quality of journalism is a direct reflection of that. Do people take the time to get stories from multiple sources? Do people question the information in an article and do individual research?

I just feel like people were more interested in doing that before there were 12593859238 news aggregators flying at you from every direction. Everything moves so fast now, by the time you google a key point in an article something else is coming at you.

So I think attention span plays a huge role in creating the factors you listed that lead to the straight up erosion of journalism in this country.

^ A problem has been the false equivalency of news sources. When you look at a news aggregator, whether it's google news, facebook, or whatever else, stories appear all at the same level. This contrasts with the old days, where it was clear what the tabloids, legit newspapers/magazines, and shady publications were.

And this relates to the reduced attention spans you speak of. If you take the time to check the sources and identify the legit ones, then the news today is even more reliable because you have a handful of trusted sources all putting out instant news. But most people don't do that and instead want the most exciting headline as fast as possible, so they (and the shady news sites) will select for the flashiest headlines, which are often the fake ones as well.

The other issue is that we have gone from news sources with political tendencies in the past to now having outright biases. The news anchors and journalists are really just mouthpieces for a party now, which has accelerated this decline in the reliability and authenticity of news.

Feels great living in this state.

California :pimp:

“As much as anything,” said Bruce E. Cain, a professor of political science at Stanford University, “the supermajority achievement underscores the obvious: the Republicans are pretty much irrelevant to the policy-making process in Sacramento.”

Link

On point post. Old school, hard-hitting investigative journalism has almost been totally replaced by non-substantive stories being covered for hours on end that are geared towards attracting more viewers. That's why you've seen so many legit journalists leaving the big networks for smaller scale projects. The need for actually holding power accountable has just about dissipated completely as the need for ratings/profits replaced it.
We live in a social media, reality tv drama filled world where shock and controversy gets you more eyeballs and attention than the telling of stories or facts. It isn't surprising when the media itself went to a 24/7 cycle where creating content for profit has taken priority over informing people.

Another aspect of this is that  Journalism has seen a decrease in quality because of the corporate ownership of media. When the media most people consume is controlled by a few companies, then it muddies the waters on what kind of news and content is being created for consumption. It gives corporate  entities the power to shape the narrative and drive public consciousness. And it also gives them the power of leaving things out that doesn't support the message they want to push.
^ A problem has been the false equivalency of news sources. When you look at a news aggregator, whether it's google news, facebook, or whatever else, stories appear all at the same level. This contrasts with the old days, where it was clear what the tabloids, legit newspapers/magazines, and shady publications were.

And this relates to the reduced attention spans you speak of. If you take the time to check the sources and identify the legit ones, then the news today is even more reliable because you have a handful of trusted sources all putting out instant news. But most people don't do that and instead want the most exciting headline as fast as possible, so they (and the shady news sites) will select for the flashiest headlines, which are often the fake ones as well.

The other issue is that we have gone from news sources with political tendencies in the past to now having outright biases. The news anchors and journalists are really just mouthpieces for a party now, which has accelerated this decline in the reliability and authenticity of news.
Now the questions become which news sources can you trust and which journalist can you trust to report unbiased news and stories? With the way content is being distributed today, it makes it hard to understand and grasp issues if you aren't fact checking, researching and reading books. And how many people do you think are doing this based off the content they're receiving from their news app? Especially when you take into consideration that those stories will be replaced by a slew of different ones in a matter of minutes, hours, days etc With the emphasis in today's society being put on productivity and time management, how much time can people truly devote to consuming and grasping content at the rate it's going in?

Can't wait until these tech companies see how easy it is to muscle Trump into making one-sided deals. So much for blocking foreign labor from moving here :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom