***Official Political Discussion Thread***

CIA chief warns Trump: Scrapping Iran deal 'height of folly'

The director of the CIA has warned US President-elect Donald Trump that ending the Iran nuclear deal would be "disastrous" and "the height of folly".

Hope Trump heeds his advice but I doubt it. War with Iran would be 10x more disastrous than Iraq

Journalists being replaced by software? What?

Damn future, you scary

https://www.wired.com/2015/10/this-news-writing-bot-is-now-free-for-everyone/

THE AGE OF robot writers is upon us. The Associated Press uses software to generate news stories on corporate earnings reports. Fox auto-generates some sports recaps that appear on its Big Ten Network site, while Yahoo uses similar technology to create fantasy sports reports custom-made for each of its users. Now you can turn your own data into stories, too—no writing necessary.

To add on what D Nice, Whywesteppin and Harlem are saying:

Imagine feeding selective facts to a news machine to get a desired news report or breaking alert. Because the software that interprets those facts is under the control of the developers only, the media industry now becomes a bunch of black boxes: the public will be less able to identify the biases, relationships, and conflicts of interest of the authors of articles, news fetchers, and media company owners. In other words, the public will be even more susceptible to manipulation. Scary stuff.

I think automating journalism is going too far.

Its going way way way too far.

I'm glad I live in this time where technology is advanced but not too advanced where everything is automated.

I ain't feeling it. Not one bit.

Hopefully I'm 60 and too old to give a **** before machines completely take over the world.

Last edited:
https://www.wired.com/2015/10/this-news-writing-bot-is-now-free-for-everyone/
To add on what D Nice, Whywesteppin and Harlem are saying:

Imagine feeding selective facts to a news machine to get a desired news report or breaking alert. Because the software that interprets those facts is under the control of the developers only, the media industry now becomes a bunch of black boxes: the public will be less able to identify the biases, relationships, and conflicts of interest of the authors of articles, news fetchers, and media company owners. In other words, the public will be even more susceptible to manipulation. Scary stuff.
yeah that sounds terrible 

CIA chief warns Trump: Scrapping Iran deal 'height of folly'

The director of the CIA has warned US President-elect Donald Trump that ending the Iran nuclear deal would be "disastrous" and "the height of folly".

Hope Trump heeds his advice but I doubt it. War with Iran would be 10x more disastrous than Iraq

Given CIA's history, they never follow the president's orders :lol:

Also given the CIA's history, I believe NOTHING that they say :lol: It's not that I agree with Trump about ending the Iran nuclear deal, I just think the CIA has some ulterior motives for keeping it in place. I don't even know what they are; I just don't trust them at all :lol:

Last edited:
CIA and trust are 2 words that just don't belong together 
laugh.gif

Last edited:

Nothing is too far when it comes to unbrindled capitalism. Nothing.

It is ultimately about ratings and money, and without regulations, the scenario above is very possible.

People need to realize that capitalism is exploitative by nature and will only reward the owners of capital if they are not controlled.

So don't laugh too much about the obsolescence of ninjahood's livelihood. Your job might be next[emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji]

CIA and trust are 2 words that just don't belong together :lol: 

Pretty much any time something terrible happens in the world, I assume that the CIA either orchestrated it or allowed it to happen :smh: :lol:

Last edited:

It is ultimately about ratings and money, and without regulations, the scenario above is very possible.

People need to realize that capitalism is exploitative by nature and will only reward the owners of capital if they are not controlled.

So don't laugh too much about the obsolescence of ninjahood's livelihood. Your job might be next[emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji]

Find a paper/magazine or two with good journalism and reward it with a subscription, instead of consuming "bot" news if it worries you that much. Capitalism isn't going away.

Find a paper/magazine or two with good journalism and reward it with a subscription, instead of consuming "bot" news if it worries you that much. Capitalism isn't going away.

I hate people that have this attitude.

Mitt Romney level dismissive :lol:

Someone makes a post about how something will impact society, and your response is basically "deal with it"

Last edited:

I'm actually thinking about going back to print. Also, I know you've played Monopoly before. How does it usually end?

Someone makes a post about how something will impact society, and your response is basically "deal with it"

Its a strong reach for the purpose of pushing a narrative.

Last edited:

Where was the reach?

What he said it right, unchecked capitalism is one of the most destructive economic forces out there.

America has routinely proven this true.

Last edited:
^ A problem has been the false equivalency of news sources. When you look at a news aggregator, whether it's google news, facebook, or whatever else, stories appear all at the same level. This contrasts with the old days, where it was clear what the tabloids, legit newspapers/magazines, and shady publications were.

And this relates to the reduced attention spans you speak of. If you take the time to check the sources and identify the legit ones, then the news today is even more reliable because you have a handful of trusted sources all putting out instant news. But most people don't do that and instead want the most exciting headline as fast as possible, so they (and the shady news sites) will select for the flashiest headlines, which are often the fake ones as well.

The other issue is that we have gone from news sources with political tendencies in the past to now having outright biases. The news anchors and journalists are really just mouthpieces for a party now, which has accelerated this decline in the reliability and authenticity of news.
Recently I was perusing google news and came across just this. Some of the sources that show up when I check the news are absolutely abysmal and sometimes just peddling fake news knowingly.

I think I'm going to go back to a print subscription, just not sure who to go with. I had a WSJ subscription years ago because it was the only thing I could afford with expiring True Blue points.
laugh.gif

it was the only thing I could afford with expiring True Blue points.
:rofl:

This cracked me up. I'm always looking for ways to spend my points. Getting a print subscription isn't a bad idea.

I would do NYT if I can afford it just to spite Trump.

Recently I was perusing google news and came across just this. Some of the sources that show up when I check the news are absolutely abysmal and sometimes just peddling fake news knowingly.

I think I'm going to go back to a print subscription, just not sure who to go with. I had a WSJ subscription years ago because it was the only thing I could afford with expiring True Blue points.
laugh.gif
I've got a subscription to the economist but that mofo is a bit expensive.

laugh.gif
I've got a subscription to the economist but that mofo is a bit expensive.
You tryna say I'm a broke boy?

*googles*

Well, I can afford the trial.
laugh.gif

Uh oh...here we go?

@uatodaytv: 55,000 Russian troops are now massing near the border with #Ukraine.#Putin preparing new hostilities or bluffing?

http://www.unian.info/war/1650496-u...5000-russian-troops-massing-near-ukraine.html

I'd be nervous as hell if I was Poroshenko of Ukraine or the leader of Belarus

So much for avoiding WWIII eh?
?

similar to reagan getting the hostages released on his first day, putin gonna give trump a 'false victory.'

Where was the reach?

What he said it right, unchecked capitalism is one of the most destructive economic forces out there.

America has routinely proven this true.

The reach was going from the info in the article posted to a black box media future where bots replace journalists.

I don't believe that claim was made.

He warned against capitalism driving job loss as firms substitute away from labor towards capital.

That is a sound economic argument, and the example provide in the article is evidence of that.

Back
Top Bottom