:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Brush it with dishsoap mixed with warm water. Use a toothbrush. Then run the white area with a brillo pad after you brushed it, dont wipe anything off. Brush then use the Brillo pad immedietly. Then brush it again then wipe it off with a rag. The blue midsole can just be brushed with the tooth brush and soap.

The foamposite material is pretty durable. You could probably just chip it off.

Mesh - Clean off all excess dirt with the toothbrush soapy water combo. The use rit whitener and brightener to whiten up the mesh. May require multiple sessions.

Creases - Iron/wet towel method

laces - Get a water bottle. Fill it halfway with water, then pour in some laundry detergent. Put your laces in the bottle then put the cap on the bottle. Shake it for about 5 minutes. then let it sit. Revisit it every hour or so for about 3 hours then take you laces out and wring them out.

Toe cap seperation - Barge cement. Good luck...
Thanks man but what do you mean by good luck? Is it impossible to fix?

Oh I see.

Stop trying to clean them. That happens a lot with older retros. I did this on my charcoal 7s from 2002 and they ended up looking like DMPs 
tired.gif
i heard you never want to get nubuck durabuck or suede wet? i have always had luck just wiping with a very very damp microfiber cloth, and then use a suede brush after? always has worked well for me.... i would never put dish soap or laundry soap on those materials. 
I mean thats really not true. I wet all of my nubuck, suedes and durabucks. If you need to fix them, buy some angelus suede dye. Thast dye that wont look inky when you apply it. It also depends on the age.
Brush it with dishsoap mixed with warm water. Use a toothbrush. Then run the white area with a brillo pad after you brushed it, dont wipe anything off. Brush then use the Brillo pad immedietly. Then brush it again then wipe it off with a rag. The blue midsole can just be brushed with the tooth brush and soap.

The foamposite material is pretty durable. You could probably just chip it off.

Mesh - Clean off all excess dirt with the toothbrush soapy water combo. The use rit whitener and brightener to whiten up the mesh. May require multiple sessions.

Creases - Iron/wet towel method

laces - Get a water bottle. Fill it halfway with water, then pour in some laundry detergent. Put your laces in the bottle then put the cap on the bottle. Shake it for about 5 minutes. then let it sit. Revisit it every hour or so for about 3 hours then take you laces out and wring them out.

Toe cap seperation - Barge cement. Good luck...
Thanks man but what do you mean by good luck? Is it impossible to fix?
No toe caps are just really difficult to glue together right. I've only had 1-2 successful toe cap glues in my life 
laugh.gif

So I've been looking into retrobriting my concords from the FNL restock a couple of months ago. Should I do alitttle on these or just let em sit till they yellow alittle more? Will retrobrite help prevent them from yellowing as fast? Any feedback is appreciated. 
barely any yellowing, wait a bit more before retrobriting them

bout to be on this thread a lot. my shop restore kicks.. message me if you guys have any questions or need your kicks restored..

anyone know how to fix suede chipping

example. the lining where the shoe laces go in the foams

bout to be on this thread a lot. my shop restore kicks.. message me if you guys have any questions or need your kicks restored..

anyone know how to fix suede chipping

example. the lining where the shoe laces go in the foams
Can't fix suede chipping. its permanent. You can cover it up with suede dye

I am about to paint the leather white on my Bugs 8s, but i dont want it to come out uneven. I just got a paint roller should i use that?

I think it's safe to say that Bar Keepers Friend "Soft Cleanser" is officially a game change. I used it today after doing about 3-4 Rit sessions and it worked instantly, with no dulling of the mesh. I think that may have just been related to using the powder form but this is the truth.

Last edited:
I started my first restoration job tonight. I bought a pair of Mocha 3s for pocket change that I'm going to try to fix up. The previous owner tried to repaint the yellowed midsoles with a bottle of white out. He got some on a few bits of the mocha elephant print in the process and also painted one of the two heeltabs with it. I used Acetone to strip off all the white out on the midsoles and heeltabs, as well as the original paint underneath. I also dabbled a little acetone with a q tip to try to get the sloppy white out off the elephant print, which worked ok. Not great but ok.

I'm going to pick up some white Angelus paint tomorrow and repaint the midsoles and heeltabs. Can I paint the rubber part of the midsole around the toecap that is the same rubber as the outsole with this paint too or do I need something else for that? It's Kind of dingy too.

I also plan on whitening the sockliner. Is Rit whitener the way to go for that?

Can't fix suede chipping. its permanent. You can cover it up with suede dye

I am about to paint the leather white on my Bugs 8s, but i dont want it to come out uneven. I just got a paint roller should i use that?

im actually working on a technique, it dont look too bad ima post a pic tomorrow.. on feet you cant tell ive try to restore it, this what i did.

1. took all the suede off
2. iron the fuzz down(should of ironed it more because it was a lil fuzzy once finished)
3. suede dyed
4. painted black while i watered down the paint a lil. its not too bad.

did it on a pair of 2002 red foam pros

i dont. just purchased them. i dont know how the stain got on there either. got the shoes for a steal. couldnt pass on them.

I got the upper of the seperated 8 painted last night. i applied the paint with a brush, then went over it with a paint roller. The roller took away all the streaks and evened out the paint. I compared it to the unpainted one and i was like 

How to make sole on playoff 12s white again
Start reading from the top of the page (post 6334). SirCharles posted step by step instructions for the cleaning the Obsidian XII sole which you would follow for the Playoff XII as well.

Last edited:
Need some help! I think its a pretty common problem with OG 14s but my black toes have this sticky kind of residue on the midsoles, any way to get rid of that?????

Ok what should I use to get my midsoles like this? Paint? Dye? If anyone could point me in the right direction on how to I would really appreciate it. 

Here is the picture of the midsole, any way to get those marks off the midsole? repaint? These are the OGs and Ive heard this is a common problem! Plus is there a way to restore the suede on the toe box? Appreciate any help!

Ok what should I use to get my midsoles like this? Paint? Dye? If anyone could point me in the right direction on how to I would really appreciate it. 
You would actually do this to a authentic pair of shoes. Intentionally make them look unauthentic? My advice, Buy a good pair of fakes and butcher them!

You would actually do this to a authentic pair of shoes. Intentionally make them look unauthentic? My advice, Buy a good pair of fakes and butcher them!
Ive got 2 pairs right now. one to stock, one to rock. If I get another next weekend from the restock. I will blackout the midsoles. I really dont care what you like either. It is personal preference. If you are unable to assist in helping me accomplish that then please do not post. Your comments are not needs. And I dont buy fakes. ever. Thats like saying every pair of custom shoes should have been done on non authentic kicks. 

Last edited:
^ Wore them today no chipping or anything. I forgot how much I liked these things. No paint chipped from my wear either.
Strip all of the existing paint. Cop some Angelus White, and black. The repaint. The angelus bottles comes with a brush built into the cap and it works pretty well. 

After I strip the paint, I tape around the area with 2 layers of painters tape. Then I take a SMALL amount of paint and start brushing it until it wont move any farther. Steadily that creates a thin bottom layer of paint. Then I brush more paint on top of that layer just a tad bit thicker. 

Don't use any dyes, they don't stick to the material.

The hardest part is really in the preparation. Once you got everything taped/covered, it's a breeze.

I'm ready to paint my Fire Red 3's, however, I'm hesitant right now because I'm not sure how much duller I should use for 1 oz of paint?

I also plan on whitening the sockliner. Is Rit whitener the way to go for that?

I've been also looking for something to whiten the sockliners. Never heard of Rit.

Last edited:
Ive got 2 pairs right now. one to stock, one to rock. If I get another next weekend from the restock. I will blackout the midsoles. I really dont care what you like either. It is personal preference. If you are unable to assist in helping me accomplish that then please do not post. Your comments are not needs. And I dont buy fakes. ever. Thats like saying every pair of custom shoes should have been done on non authentic kicks. 
Cool but once you paint them they might as well be fakes, because that what they will appear to be but cool, do you.

Cool but once you paint them they might as well be fakes, because that what they will appear to be but cool, do you.

Painting a pair of authentic shoes doesn't put them on par to be fakes. It's a customization. I've done this and who cares what other people think?

Painting a pair of authentic shoes doesn't put them on par to be fakes. It's a customization. I've done this and who cares what other people think?
Ok I'm through with this but, if you were to try to authenticate the shoes based on pictures alone, no explanation, they would appear shady. That's all I'm saying, paint what you want and be happy. To each its own. They just look like bother to the Crimson 3's to me.

Last edited:
Ok I'm through with this but, if you were to try to authenticate the shoes based on pictures alone, no explanation, they would appear shady. That's all I'm saying, paint what you want and be happy. To each its own. They just look like bother to the Crimson 3's to me.

Maybe I misunderstood the context, he painted them, then tried to say they were an unreleased pair and not a custom? If he did that, then that's messed up. But if it was explained that it was a custom pair of blk/red XI's then that's different, he just did what he wanted to them.

Back
Top Bottom