:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Its been cool here 70s/low 80s. If temp in your area is higher Id suggest sealed ice bags put in shoes during each session to prevent seperation. Also a good prep prior will give better results. I did a regular scrub of soles with soap/water, dry and used nail polish remover with acetone using qtips and cotton balls and cleaned sole again. You wont believe the amount of dirt that comes off

I am about to buy a pair of black cement 3s, however the grey outsole has turned to a brownish color due to oxidation. Can seaglow/retrobrite/cream unbrown it?
clean it first. but if not then yes 1, 2 max, 30 minute sessions should do s 
Its been cool here 70s/low 80s. If temp in your area is higher Id suggest sealed ice bags put in shoes during each session to prevent seperation. Also a good prep prior will give better results. I did a regular scrub of soles with soap/water, dry and used nail polish remover with acetone using qtips and cotton balls and cleaned sole again. You wont believe the amount of dirt that comes off
was just about to ask about ice in bag, i just thought about it and you confirmed it.

it's true, great minds think alike 
smokin.gif

Alright guys, so i just scooped up a pair of OG Chitown 1s for $135. Still wearable, but the main issues im gonna have trying to restore them, is the midsole has bits and pieces taken out where it connects to the upper. Is this fixable without a swap? If not how hard is it to swap jordan ones? Ive done a jordan 6 and that was difficult since the midsole shape has changed. Is that an issue with the ones? And other issues, with the collar having come off, (the black leather just peeled off) would it just be best to paint that area with just flat black? Lastly, the wings logo is a bit faded, whats the best way to fix that besides an extremely steady hand/small paint brush? Thanks for any help in advance!
1. Yes if that mid is crumbling your only option is a nid/sole swap and restitch to uppers.
2. The faded black leather, yes most i see just repaint black.
3. The logo I would yes repaint with small detail brush.
Good luck Im looking at pretty much doing same restore here shortly

1. Yes if that mid is crumbling your only option is a nid/sole swap and restitch to uppers.
2. The faded black leather, yes most i see just repaint black.
3. The logo I would yes repaint with small detail brush.
Good luck Im looking at pretty much doing same restore here shortly
How would you go about restitching the upper? Is there any video tutorial?

Just bought Family Forever 1's. Can anyone give me tips on how to clean denim sneakers?

I know these aren't Jordan's but hear me out. My air max 90s have a problem. The ankle area is ripping. How can I fix this??

damn it man. was gonna un ds these soon and finally took them out of the box and looked at the bottoms and they are already brown. they went straight from blue to brown/rust, skipping the clear phase. 
mean.gif
 I've seen older ones stay clear longer.  they look way worse in person. the whole area has a brown tint and then close to the toes is really dark brown. the heels still look great tho.

Yep thats common area for them to do it too, my aj1 carmines did same thing. If it doesn't bother ya..rock em as noone is going to see your bottom sole or just use some sc40 on that area to clear em up.

Any of y'all buy beaters for the sole purpose of fixing them up?

I got a pair of KD VIs coming in in a few days for $40, will keep thread posted on the cleaning/fixing of em.

Oh damn. Any other methods? Will the ol' soap-toothbrush-water method suffice?
Yes, use laundry detergent though instead of just regular soap. It's like cleaning denim jeans/regular clothes...

damn it man. was gonna un ds these soon and finally took them out of the box and looked at the bottoms and they are already brown. they went straight from blue to brown/rust, skipping the clear phase. 
mean.gif
 I've seen older ones stay clear longer.  they look way worse in person. the whole area has a brown tint and then close to the toes is really dark brown. the heels still look great tho.
Looks like it's the oxidation of the glue and not the sole. Unfortunate.

I got a pair of KD VIs coming in in a few days for $40, will keep thread posted on the cleaning/fixing of em.
Yes, I do it all the time and resell or keep. I personally love doing 11's since they're easy to clean/fix and margins are great. I also love doing 1's, but margins are terrible. Still looking for a beat pair of 1985/2001/2013 Royal 1's 
mean.gif

Last edited:
damn it man. was gonna un ds these soon and finally took them out of the box and looked at the bottoms and they are already brown. they went straight from blue to brown/rust, skipping the clear phase. :smh:  I've seen older ones stay clear longer.  they look way worse in person. the whole area has a brown tint and then close to the toes is really dark brown. the heels still look great tho.

It's worst when you see a pair with soles like this at the outlets. That's why you gotta wear them asap and not let them sit. If not, you'd be looking at sole treatments on ds pairs and that's no fun.

I've heard conflicting info on the paper/boxes yellowing soles. Some say to keep the paper it comes with, others say toss the paper. Is a zip lock bag better? I've also heard that people use black trash bags too. 

Just curious is there is a consensus as to what is myth and what is true. 

You can totally keep the paper as long as it's not incredibly moist/humid where you store it, in my personal opinion.
I never throw out the paper and all of my shoes icy soles are in perfect condition (with the exception of my fire red 5s, I yellowed them by wearing em into the ground.)
Lots of people say add silica packs to your boxes. Pretty sure that works also

You can totally keep the paper as long as it's not incredibly moist/humid where you store it, in my personal opinion.
I never throw out the paper and all of my shoes icy soles are in perfect condition (with the exception of my fire red 5s, I yellowed them by wearing em into the ground.)
Lots of people say add silica packs to your boxes. Pretty sure that works also
Repped. Thanks for the info. 

is there any way to protect the plastic heel cups of basketball shoes from being scratched?
special paint or anything..
and yes, i want to use them and not just stock them

I started to ice my soles today. After thr 1st session there was a white reisdue that wony come off. What do i do now?

I started to ice my soles today. After thr 1st session there was a white reisdue that wony come off. What do i do now?
Hard for me to tell from the default picture and for some reason, I can't expand it for a closer look, but it's probably one of two things:

1. You might have left it outside for too long, the typical recommendation is to leave it outside for 1hr or so, but it really depends on the temp/heat. The residue is from the left over salon care,retr0bright,etc. after it dried onto the sole because of the temp/heat.  You can typically get rid of this by just rinsing the sole with water. It should come off.

2. They may be chemical burns from the salon care, retr0bright,etc. Ever notice that if you leave Salon care,etc. on your skin accidentally, it starts to burn slightly? That's what's happening to the sole of the shoe and it may have become stained from the chemicals. This is kind of inevitable if you work with this stuff long enough. It makes sense now why they tell you to be careful with Hydrogen Peroxide in school...

is there any way to protect the plastic heel cups of basketball shoes from being scratched?
special paint or anything..
and yes, i want to use them and not just stock them
Never seen anyone use plastic heel cups, is it just an insert? Mind posting a pic, it would give a better idea on how to help.

Last edited:

All of the time. I have about 10 pairs that I still have to restore and resell.

And question for anyone who's knowledgeable on unyellowing soles; I've been using 50 Volume Creme from Superstar (brand doesn't really matter, but it's different than the normal Salon Care 40) and I haven't really been getting great results. It seems the 40 that I used last year yielded more effective results in less time. Is there a reason for this or am I just screwing something up?

Back
Top Bottom