:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

I want to get sneakershields but everytime I get ready to purchase I just think it's such a ripoff for a piece of plastic
eyes.gif
 I really only want it for my playoff 13s that are way too big
They work!

Italipino or anyone else , before I order from sneakershields dot com do you guys suggest a better product from a competitor? If sneakershields are the best website should I get the universal or protector for my pair of 3s, 5s & spizikes
Protector

I want to get sneakershields but everytime I get ready to purchase I just think it's such a ripoff for a piece of plastic
eyes.gif
 I really only want it for my playoff 13s that are way too big
I don't think they are much of a rip off, I made ghetto ones for my air forces two years ago out of the cardboard shoe trees that come with the shoe and they sucked!
They work!
Protector
Here's a quick writeup to customizing sneaker shields to perfection. It takes alot of effort, but the more you do it, the quicker you can get the right fit. Unless you have 6x pair of each shoe that you want to keep crispy lookin this is what i'd do:

http://niketalk.com/t/535591/how-to-properly-un-ds-your-shoes-and-why-using-sneaker-shields

Sorry i cant edit the thread and post it here, the thread was locked. Very useful IMO.

Last edited:
So is this the type of Bar Keepers Friend everyone uses to restore shoes? Do I have a picture of the correct liquid one that has been mentioned? I took this photo at an Orchard Supply Hardware store earlier today.

Thanks for the response about the laces. Now that you mention it I tried the OxyClean in a bottle once and it did blow up, lol. I'll try the detergent method.

And SneakerShields are a ripoff, BUT they do work well. I bought a five pack when they were on sale

I just got in the lincoln ez cleaner suede and was wondering what the best way to use it on a pair of timbs would be? I never used this stuff before so any instructions would be appreciated. Thanks

I tried usin g it in my timbs.. With no successe.. Let me kno how that works out for you

I havent stripped the paint off of the midsoles on my Bc3s but I did use mr clean magic eraser to remove the glossy finish on the midsoles. It took a little bit, but it definitely makes a difference. I just had to be careful not to remove the paint underneath the gloss.

Why did u want to remove the glossy finish?
It's suppose to be like that.. Do u just prefer it the other way?

Last edited:
For the people who have done a sole swap on 4's what kind of glue did you use and what color of angelus paint did you use to paint the midsole on your white cements?

So is this the type of Bar Keepers Friend everyone uses to restore shoes? Do I have a picture of the correct liquid one that has been mentioned? I took this photo at an Orchard Supply Hardware store earlier today.

I've used this to successfully whiten yellowed Concord uppers and whiten the midsole on a pair of classic Pumas.

Last edited:
I've used this to successfully whiten yellowed Concord uppers and whiten the midsole on a pair of classic Pumas.
Thanks for verifying. That's what I meant, I was hoping to use this to restore my now totally darkly yellowed Pearl Foamposites from 1997 back to the pearl color. The sole will also need a restoration back to clear as it has darkened like hell, I wouldn't even consider it yellowed.

So despite the fact it states its for metals and porcelain, I guess its legitimate enough to whiten uppers and mid-soles according to you.

Just to save y'all some money if y'all need to buy some of this, go to Home Depot, its the cheapest so far based on my research. Avoid Orchard Supply Hardware because it costs more there. Both carry the same sizes, 26 oz. Its like $4.98 at Orchard, but its only $2.98 at Home Depot. Though I should help inform y'all. But please inform us if there's a cheaper price than Home Depot elsewhere.

What's the best glue to fix the soles on these shoes. I have had them reglued twice at my local shoe shop but they keep seperating.

Thanks for verifying. That's what I meant, I was hoping to use this to restore my now totally darkly yellowed Pearl Foamposites from 1997 back to the pearl color. The sole will also need a restoration back to clear as it has darkened like hell, I wouldn't even consider it yellowed.

So despite the fact it states its for metals and porcelain, I guess its legitimate enough to whiten uppers and mid-soles according to you.

Just to save y'all some money if y'all need to buy some of this, go to Home Depot, its the cheapest so far based on my research. Avoid Orchard Supply Hardware because it costs more there. Both carry the same sizes, 26 oz. Its like $4.98 at Orchard, but its only $2.98 at Home Depot. Though I should help inform y'all. But please inform us if there's a cheaper price than Home Depot elsewhere.
Not sure about a foamposite upper because of the material. BKF is an abrasive and may scratch the foam material. It's not as abrasive as the powder form but it is abrasive. I'd suggest testing it on a small non obvious section of the shoe first.

Not sure about a foamposite upper because of the material. BKF is an abrasive and may scratch the foam material. It's not as abrasive as the powder form but it is abrasive. I'd suggest testing it on a small non obvious section of the shoe first.
Wow, the liquid form is abrasive? I can guess that the powder form is abrasive based on solid textures of it, its like grit and sand basically. But you're saying Bar Keepers Friend is safe for leather uppers at least? I figured leather is softer and more susceptible to scratchings and abrasions. But wouldn't the hard foam based upper on Foamposites be more durable than a leather upper perhaps?

What's the best glue to fix the soles on these shoes. I have had them re-glued twice at my local shoe shop but they keep separating.
I recommend Gorilla Glue as the adhesive for the soles and Gorilla Tape to hold the uppers and soles together after you apply the glue to the internal part between soles and uppers.

Here's some Olympic VII from 2004 I glued together after sole separation using Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Tape. I did one side last year, I did the other side a month ago after it was its turn to separate. Y'all will notice there's some dried glue residue, I'm honestly a novice at this obviously, but I'd rather save money and pay only for the necessities to do it myself instead of paying someone for something I can do. I wore these yesterday too.

Here's what I use to clean my sneaks, any of the Foot Locker Inc. stores based gel cleaners you can find at any of their land based stores in the malls. I used to use the spray can foam based cleaners, but I honestly didn't like the citrus odor it emits, and I heard they're acidic somewhat and can have adverse effects on your sneaks down the line. These are cheaper, but I don't think they're detrimental so I think I'm in the game with them.

Wow, the liquid form is abrasive? I can guess that the powder form is abrasive based on solid textures of it, its like grit and sand basically. But you're saying Bar Keepers Friend is safe for leather uppers at least? I figured leather is softer and more susceptible to scratchings and abrasions. But wouldn't the hard foam based upper on Foamposites be more durable than a leather upper perhaps?
I've only used it on mesh, from the Concords, and rubber so those are the only uses I can personally confirm without adverse effects. When I rub BKF soft cleanse between my fingers it doesn't feel gritty at all so it's not as abrasive as I initially thought. However since I haven't used it as you plan I don't want to say "yeah go ahead it's cool". Test it out in a small section first like inner upper ankle or something not easy to see 1st. Let us know how it turns out, the more info the better.

I've only used it on mesh, from the Concords, and rubber so those are the only uses I can personally confirm without adverse effects. When I rub BKF soft cleanse between my fingers it doesn't feel gritty at all so it's not as abrasive as I initially thought. However since I haven't used it as you plan I don't want to say "yeah go ahead it's cool". Test it out in a small section first like inner upper ankle or something not easy to see 1st. Let us know how it turns out, the more info the better.

yes but use it with a soft brissle tooth brush and after you softly scrub for a good while remember to rinse out ALL of the BKF or it will burn the material and then it will be harder to fix.

I tried usin g it in my timbs.. With no successe.. Let me kno how that works out for you
Why did u want to remove the glossy finish?
It's suppose to be like that.. Do u just prefer it the other way?

I took off the glossy finish because the midsole on the 2011s had too much shine too them. The matte finish on the midsole matches the heeltab better. Just a preference.

BKF didn't really do much for my concords just now. Waiting for them to dry to see how much it did

Back
Top Bottom