OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Originally Posted by awon23

What do you guys think of this "bull" market so far? Facade or for real?

it's
roll.gif
 but i'm long so as long as the money keeps rolling in i'm laughing all the way to the bank

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

All red today except for the obvious. And of course I'm in the green overall. Hopefully this bump in AAPL ignites another takeoff for AAPL. I'm expecting another blowout quarter thanks to much better than expected iPad numbers.

I don't know about a blowout quarter, apparently prices were reduced in China due to the lack of interest....
I should have bought TSLA instead of BAC....It needs to decently pass that 10 dollar mark...

Originally Posted by nocomment6

All red today except for the obvious. And of course I'm in the green overall. Hopefully this bump in AAPL ignites another takeoff for AAPL. I'm expecting another blowout quarter thanks to much better than expected iPad numbers.

I don't know about a blowout quarter, apparently prices were reduced in China due to the lack of interest....
I should have bought TSLA instead of BAC....It needs to decently pass that 10 dollar mark...

The new iPad has not been officially available in mainland China because of the Proview dispute. Those are secondary market sales. The China Quality Certification Center gave approval today. In less words, IDGAF.

The new iPad has not been officially available in mainland China because of the Proview dispute. Those are secondary market sales. The China Quality Certification Center gave approval today. In less words, IDGAF.

Didn't know about that. Well let's wait and see, when do Q1 reports start?
Where do you guys get information regarding the reports? 

Markets went from green to red....

You guys realize it takes several consecutive days of distribution to signal a correction?
And never hold into earnings unless you have insider information. See NKE.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Highly disagree. Go long and stay long. Unless you have certain price points you commit yourself to, or you're holding a *@#! company (YELP, GRPN, etc).

Highly disagree. Go long and stay long. Unless you have certain price points you commit yourself to, or you're holding a *@#! company (YELP, GRPN, etc).
Agree with DaJoka on this one. Especially since we're all young...time and compouding is on our side.

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

Agree with DaJoka on this one. Especially since we're all young...time and compouding is on our side.
This debate will go on until the end of time. Day Trading vs Swing Trading vs. Value Investing, etc. I can not stress this enough. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to trade or invest. The only right way is the one that fits the person's style and makes him money. If you're young, most would say it's time to be aggressive because you have time to make it back if things don't work out in your favor. I adhere the most to the trend following and swing trading style. I want to capture the major moves and not stay in the trade when it stalls or consolidates. Most in here probably have a similar philosophy, and if that's the case then a 25% dip in earnings can wipe you out.

This debate will go on until the end of time. Day Trading vs Swing Trading vs. Value Investing, etc. I can not stress this enough. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to trade or invest. The only right way is the one that fits the person's style and makes him money. If you're young, most would say it's time to be aggressive because you have time to make it back if things don't work out in your favor. I adhere the most to the trend following and swing trading style. I want to capture the major moves and not stay in the trade when it stalls or consolidates. Most in here probably have a similar philosophy, and if that's the case then a 25% dip in earnings can wipe you out.

You're trying to time the market though. Nobody can do that without insider knowledge. If you believe in the company you own, sit on it.

I can see Nike dropping to about 95 dollars where it has pretty strong resistence. But reports are coming as well, I'd deffinately buy around that price.

@JC08 - http://www.investorplace....omeback-stocks-for-real/
Thanks nocomment6. Sears is the best performing stock in the S&P500 year to date... There's been countless articles saying this was an epic short squeeze. I just think the business strategy needs to change and liquidating assets doesn't generate shareholder value. Just my 2 cents though!

You're trying to time the market though. Nobody can do that without insider knowledge. If you believe in the company you own, sit on it.
There are methods to do so, but they're not perfect. No method is 100% perfect. During earnings, it becomes tricky because there are a lot of pump fakes for obvious reasons. If you believe a company is sound across the boards then you should buy and hold. But I do not prefer to do that  I can get in and out whenever I see momentum.

Originally Posted by bruce negro

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...estment-is-a-losing-bet/

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...-management-fails-again/

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...ing-is-gaining-momentum/

His credentials speak for themselves. The concept of actually being able to time the market is a fallacy. Momentum swings in the market faster than an NCAA basketball game.
You posted 3 articles by the same guy. I skimmed through some of it. It's clear that he has a bias against any style of investing other than his own. I actually think he has an ulterior motive, he probably just wants to tell his investors in his Asset Management group "It's okay we're down 10% right now, but in the long run it will fix itself and we will be up". But hey if his strategy works for him and he sleeps well at night good for him. You mean to tell me that the Market Leaders like AAPL, CMG, PCLN were not bought up by institutions over their big runs? I mean look at the volume, it happened gradually. It didn't happen overnight. Sudden swings happen with penny stocks.

Originally Posted by bruce negro

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...estment-is-a-losing-bet/

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...-management-fails-again/

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...ing-is-gaining-momentum/

His credentials speak for themselves. The concept of actually being able to time the market is a fallacy. Momentum swings in the market faster than an NCAA basketball game.
You posted 3 articles by the same guy. I skimmed through some of it. It's clear that he has a bias against any style of investing other than his own. I actually think he has an ulterior motive, he probably just wants to tell his investors in his Asset Management group "It's okay we're down 10% right now, but in the long run it will fix itself and we will be up". But hey if his strategy works for him and he sleeps well at night good for him. You mean to tell me that the Market Leaders like AAPL, CMG, PCLN were not bought up by institutions over their big runs? I mean look at the volume, it happened gradually. It didn't happen overnight. Sudden swings happen with penny stocks.

..........Look up Larry Swedroe. And this isn't a new idea, have you not heard of the Wall Street Journal Dartboard contest? I'm also saying that betting on momentum is similar to bottom-feeding--you WILL get burned. Priceline, Chipotle and Apple are doing well because they're solid corporations, so it would be best to invest in them because they are solid, not because there's a bit of momentum with them. Anyways, I can give you a million other articles giving you the same details, but to cut through all of the bull, actively predicting the market to produce consistent gains does not work. End of story.

Originally Posted by iBlink

Why short term?
Looking to flip it to a make a decent profit, then invest again. Then repeat said process.

So you're looking to gain free capital right now? How short term are we talking about? A day, a week, two weeks?

2 weeks

Looking to flip it to a make a decent profit, then invest again. Then repeat said process.

So you're looking to gain free capital right now? How short term are we talking about? A day, a week, two weeks?

2 weeks

I'd look at some of the picks that freakydestroyer has posted, he's pretty good about posting stocks that are hot at the moment. Nothing is certain though, so don't expect to see definite returns on your investment(s).

2 weeks
Risky. I would play something going into earnings though. Either that or buy some April 2012 options of whatever company your heart desires. Those are going to be the only two ways to make big money save for going 100% speculative. 

Momentum vs value vs swing vs bottom feeding... they're all trading strategies. There are some VERY good momo/swing traders, but I'd recommend most people are better off investing in solid companies.

The hardest part for retail investors is finding good research to supplement your own. I worked in equity research and found the quality of analyst to vary GREATLY within the same firms. And hidden beneath layers of garbage, there actually is SOME good free stuff on Seeking Alpha.

Back
Top Bottom