OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Looking to invest some more, AAPL is killing it but the entry point is high. I feel more comfortable with AAPL than Tesla though. Thoughts? It would be for a few more Gs.

Morgan Stanley is **** Bove's new favorite bank stock. Can't wait to see how this thing responds to FB's IPO. Speaking of which, Annie's BNNY is up almost 4 bucks today.

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

Looking to invest some more, AAPL is killing it but the entry point is high. I feel more comfortable with AAPL than Tesla though. Thoughts? It would be for a few more Gs.

AAPL long term and short term. I think we see another surprising quarter on the upside. It'll probably sell off a little in the days leading up to the results, but it'll take off after that.

Originally Posted by nocomment6

The GBP should also rise over the summer compared to other currencies, with the olympics coming up, no?
Hard to quantify what the effect would be on the GBP with the Olympics, because average turnover in FX markets daily is ~$4- $4.5 trillion a day, but it could drive up inflation forcing the Bank of England to be less open to QE which would be GBP positive in a round about way. I thought GBP/USD was going to breakout, but after RBA announcement and FOMC minutes today it really pulled back and made a bearish engulfing candle. 

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by JC08

Anyways, what's your background freakydestroyer? Do you trade for yourself as your primary job?
Thank you for sharing your experience and insight. I learned a couple new things today to say the least. I first dabbed into the financial markets in 2008. I started off trading penny stocks and wasn't very successful at that (not many are as you might know). Then I took some time off from trading and studied extensively. I began studying the markets and different strategies and styles of trading and investing. Slowly but surely I found my niche in trend following/ swing trading. Then I studied basic chart patterns and things began to really click. That's what has brought me here today. I have no formal education in finance or economics nor have I worked in this field. Everything I know I learned online and from reading books. My goal is to not only trade for a living, but to become quite well off from it. That's my story in a nutshell, not quite as extensive as yours.
laugh.gif
That's awesome man, congratulations. I'm trying to become an independent trader as well, you're living the dream! 

how do you guys research stocks, i'm looking to take a long position on something, but i want to do some research before i hop in the market

I'm tempted to take a little off the table but I don't wanna sell if the market is gonna rebound. Anyone think this could be the start of a correction or just a simple pullback?

I sold off my BAC, waiting to see how the market moves in the next couple of days and I might either put it all back into BAC, or maybe another strong pick. When things reset, I'm curious to see how TSLA is going to run, if its legs haven't been completely amputated.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'm tempted to take a little off the table but I don't wanna sell if the market is gonna rebound. Anyone think this could be the start of a correction or just a simple pullback?

I'm still bullish. I'm also willing to ride out corrections, just like I did in the fall. Sure, I could have sold when the downturn first started and got back in, by that's all in hindsight. I don't foresee my portfolio being worth less come a year from now when I will need to start taking profits to finance the purchase of my first house. That's what keeps me in.

I kept everything I had, we should get good news in the next week or so and stocks should be good.
Honestly the transaction fees would cost more then a 3-4 percent correction and waiting it out...

I kept BAC, hope it surpasses 10 dollars in the next week or so.

As for TSLA, I'm not saying it isn't good I was just surprised to see it drop about 6%, when mostly the concerns regarding europe had an effect on the market, which would mean that financials take hits...just my opinion.

I hope we don't see too many days in the red however, it can become very discouraging...

I normally fight through corrections as well, but I wanna have some cash free to double down on MS so I sold out of BAC and took off my 16-17.90 positions in OVTI (still have a bunch from 11-15). I read it's a possibility some of banks get downgraded (BAC, C, MS) so we'll see what happens. I'll definitely be getting back into B of A eventually.

Originally Posted by FlacoBey

how do you guys research stocks, i'm looking to take a long position on something, but i want to do some research before i hop in the market
Einhorn Q&A

That's a great explanation from my favorite hedge fund manager on his process. I'd also recommend possibly buying a DCF template to come up with your own price target

DCF Model

That's about the cheapest one you can get, and well worth it.

got in on apple again today at 620 ... gonna ride a bit for a week or two ...

don't know how i'm gonna play earnings yet ...

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

got in on apple again today at 620 ... gonna ride a bit for a week or two ...

don't know how i'm gonna play earnings yet ...

China numbers should be very good. I think iPad 2 numbers post-introduction of the new iPad will surprise. Current analyst EPS is $9.77. I'm sure that will be revised above $10 before earnings are released. It's probably going to take $11 to satisfy investors as ridiculous as that is. I'm betting we get it. I love earnings season.

I could see a bit of a relief rally next week, but there's a possibility that Spain could rear its ugly head and cause headline fear similar to Greece except that Spain is 4-5 times the size of Greece and is the 4th biggest country in the EU excluding UK. The Spanish debt auction today was ugly.

Also, the way the markets have reacted to Federal Reserve meeting minutes since Tuesday is a bit scary. The Fed essentially said that they expect US growth will be moderate and the unemployment should continue to gradually trend down and based on this assumption they won't do QE3. Instead of markets being bullish on the Fed's "upbeat" outlook of the economy, the markets sold off because the markets weren't expecting an end to cheap money/liquidity.

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

Einhorn Q&A

That's a great explanation from my favorite hedge fund manager on his process. I'd also recommend possibly buying a DCF template to come up with your own price target

DCF Model

That's about the cheapest one you can get, and well worth it.
I have a DCF model in excel I can send to anyone that's interested.  Personaaly, I think discount models are crap but that's just me.

Unless we get some green tomorrow I would imagine this is the start of that correction everyone is talking about.  Should be a big one imo.
Clearly a 5 wave impulse wave has formed and is near completion.  I was expecting us to test the all time high on the S&P or at least resistance
 around 1450 before the correction but things rarely turn out how you expect.

eek.gif
eek.gif
Today was brutal.

TSLA down 8%. From what I gather a former board member resigned and unloaded 7.3 million shares. There is nothing wrong with the company internally. Someone just wanted to liquidate his shares during after hours and it caused a stir.
30t6p3b.gif
It will take some time to recover short term. But like I said before long term I can see this company become the Apple of cars.

Since this was a short week, I consider today's action as two days of distribution. Tomorrow is an important day to pay attention to the overall market. 

Up Monday, down the rest of the week, up into the weekend.  For a third straight week? Is that too predictable?
Notice the divergence on the MACD

bh1009.jpg

Originally Posted by JC08

I could see a bit of a relief rally next week, but there's a possibility that Spain could rear its ugly head and cause headline fear similar to Greece except that Spain is 4-5 times the size of Greece and is the 4th biggest country in the EU excluding UK. The Spanish debt auction today was ugly.

Also, the way the markets have reacted to Federal Reserve meeting minutes since Tuesday is a bit scary. The Fed essentially said that they expect US growth will be moderate and the unemployment should continue to gradually trend down and based on this assumption they won't do QE3. Instead of markets being bullish on the Fed's "upbeat" outlook of the economy, the markets sold off because the markets weren't expecting an end to cheap money/liquidity.

i think it's pretty said that many expect and rely only upon the stimulus provided by the Fed...

When is Apple supposed to report?

Back
Top Bottom