OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

This just came in. Just a few rounds.

Just out of curiosity, why pay the premium on physical over paper?

prefer the real stuff over a paper promise. when SHTF there wont be enough physical for everyone that was holding the paper promises, this is one scenario where gold/silver will go up like they did back in the 70s.

MONDAY

before

HAS - Hasbro

after

BNNY - Annies
MAS - Masco

TUESDAY

before

CVS - CVS Caremark
MOS - Mosaic
RAI - Reynolds American
REGN - Regeneron
S - Sprint

after

FEYE - FireEye
FOSL - Fossil
TRIP - Trip Advisor
ZTS - Zoetis

WEDNESDAY

before

DPS - Dr Pepper Snapple
LO - Lorillard

after

AMAT - Applied Materials
ANGI - Angie's List
BGS - B&G Foods
CBS - CBS Corp
CSCO - Cisco
NVDA - nVidia
WFM - Whole Foods
Z - Zillow

THURSDAY

before

APA - Apache Corp
BKW - Burger King
BWA - BorgWarner
PEP - Pepsico

after

AIG - American International Group
KRFT - Kraft Foods
RGC - Regal Entertainment Group

FRIDAY

before

H - Hyatt Hotels
RRGB - Red Robbin Gourmet Burgers
VFC - VF Corp
WWE - World Wrestling Entertainment

Nothing really of interest to me this week.

Couple questions. What type of trading strategies are you guys employing? and how did you guys come up with it? I heard someone mention putting stop losses and was curious at what percent do you set it at?

I am currently looking to getting into trading futures or the forex and I am trying to develop a trading strategy that fits my trading schedule as well as my financials.

I'm finished averaging down. It's annoying and not necessarily worth the risk to be sitting there putting cash into something that continually goes lower. I could've had a great opportunity to rake in money with FSLR if I stopped myself out at 59 (I bought shares at 59.50). Instead, I stayed tight and watch my capital get tied up. I averaged down some, but after the Goldman gap down, I pretty much ran out of money with a cost basis in the 55s. Would've loved to accumulate sub-50.

I hear 8-10 % for stops, but for me personally, the shorter the hook the better. If the stock's not acting right, I rather take that quick loss and let it find its footing than risk losing more than I desire. Especially after the QURE disaster last Wednesday. If you play small sizes, you could be a little more loose with your ranges.

For tomorrow, I'm looking at CSIQ, BA, EEP, GILD AND DDD. If I play any of these, it would be for a day trade only due to cash restrictions.

With CSIQ I'm looking for some continuation from Friday. Closed at 38.87. Would like to see it over 39 for a move to 40. Conversely, if it sells at the open and holds its 8-day EMA of 38.11, I'd probably buy looking to retest 39 with a stop around that 8 day.

BA I'm looking for follow through and possible confirmation of a reversal. Slow stochastics looks to be turning in its favor, and it's been under some accumulation this month (albeit short time frame). This is another one where I'm watching the 8-day EMA. If it dips at the open and holds 126.26, I'll take a position and use that as my stop. Same goes if it holds 127. I'm looking for a few points here. BA's ex-dividend date is the 12th so I'm open to overnighting some shares if the trade continues to work.

EEP I'm looking at the 150 day SMA of 29.06. May nibble some long if it gets above that range with my eyes on 29.20 as its next pivot point. May go short if there's resistance at that level, or at 29.20. If I go long and the trade works, I'd be looking to sell out or peel some off at 29.50.

GILD I'm looking to go long if we get above Friday's high of 78.81 for a point or two. It's 8-day EMA is 79.04. If it can't get over that hump, I'll be watching and may nibble on the short side. Think it could retest somewhere between 76-77.50. It's 50 day SMA is 75.68 and it bounced off it on Friday decently so I'm looking for a higher low.

DDD if this one washes out, I'll be eying its 150 day of 64.41 and Friday's low of 64.80. Tests and holds either one, I'd buy a few shares. If it opens around 67 and holds, I could see a move toward 69-71. It's 4-day SMA is 67.76 so I'll be watching that level as well.

Last edited:
Goddamn 808 :smh:

Andy, yea I've seen that crash too many times the past two weeks. Looking strong so far. NUGT at +10% already :pimp:

Not sold on investing in AA next because the chart isn't perfect, but it does look like it is getting ready for a nice bounce very, very soon.

Congrats on that PLUG call :pimp:

My execution was a little off this morning, but the strategy was there and I'm confident in myself to pivot off last week's lows.

BA sold off after hitting some resistance. Figured it would give back those premarket gains, but I didn't take the trade to the short side. I watched it instead to get a better feel for the trend it was in for future reference (noticed this trend in a prior s/s that worked). Lost a couple of bucks trying to play a break out, but nothing serious. Didn't like how 128.20 basically became resistance, which tipped off the roll over.

CSIQ made a move at the open to the 40s but has since sold off. I thought about nibbling a little of this one and GILD premarket, but didn't—maybe next time I will.

DDD I dropped the ball on. Got a nice washout to low 66s that it bounced from. Setting up nicely, but I'm not chasing. I wanted that washout but was a little preoccupied and missed it.

All in all, I didn't make any money, but I had the right idea on these plays and am happy with my strategy going into the day. Just need to refine my execution which I will build upon tomorrow.

Last edited:
TSLA hit all time high today. Still kicking myself for not getting in when it hit 140 :frown:

Just saw that ABX's ER is before the bell Thursday. Should be interdasting....

Back
Top Bottom