OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

For those of you who are good at Fundamental Analysis, what would be the best 3-5 financial ratios for comparing companies in the Health-care Sector?

Thanks in advance. I'm doing some Google research but everyone's opinion is welcome. The more, the better.

you're taking the wrong track boss. learn to look at things holistically and don't rely on financial models, groupthink leads to liquidity black swanevents. be ahead of the curve.

got into srs yesterday at $22.35 with options expiring today and max pain being $25 so it was a good bet that it would end at that price. think might sell outtoday.

Got 500 shares of FAZ couple days ago at $6.06 and kinda on the downside right now, so I hope you're right DKY.

FAZ on the CREEP come Monday
pimp.gif

After today's announcement that four more insurers qualify for TARP money, those insurers gapped up huge and sold off the whole day, extending into the redby close. This is highly bearish. Indices look trapped in a bear flag. Monday gap-down and sell-off looks likely. Look for a break of S&P 875 to confirmthe reversal. FAZ could really take off from here.

It's monday how is that FAZ? i havent messed with stocks but a see a bit of resurgence in the market as of late. Hopefully we are getting back to some typeof stability in the economy.

Originally Posted by LiLcHiCo4LiFe

Dang, getting burned with FAZ...

Noob question: How do I average down? How exactly does it work?
you buy more shares of the same stock at a lower price. causing the average price of stock to be lower.

CORRECT:Hedge Funds Lone Pine, Paulson Increased Bet On Gold

May 18, 2009 19:06:20 (ET)

(The item "Hedge Funds Lone Pine, Paulson Increased Bet On Gold In 1Q," published at 3:04 p.m. EDT, incorrectly reported Lone Pine's position inthe ETF due to a filing discrepancy. A corrected version follows.)

By Joseph Checkler

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Hedge fund firms Paulson & Co. and Lone Pine Capital made big bets on gold during the first quarter, with Paulson becoming the No. 1shareholder of the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) exchange-traded fund, and Lone Pine buying more than 2 million shares, according to regulatory filings.

Paulson & Co. - run by John Paulson, who had already been beefing up his exposure to gold companies - bought 31.5 million shares of the ETF during thefirst quarter, according to its mandatory end-of-first-quarter holdings report with the Securities and Exchange Commission. That stake would be worth more than$2.8 billion if Paulson still holds all those shares at present.

Stephen Mandel's Lone Pine bought 2.65 million shares of the ETF, which would be worth $240 million if it still holds those shares. Lone Pine didn'tcomment for this article.

Many hedge fund managers have been increasing their gold investments lately. About 20% of the SPDR Gold Trust ETF's outstanding stock was owned by hedgefunds as of the end of the first quarter, according to filings.

The increased bets on gold come as the price of the yellow metal have remained high, above $900 an ounce. Funds also see hard assets as insurance againstfurther turmoil in the financial system, including a decline in the value of paper currency.

Most active investing in gold has been by Paulson.

In March, Paulson paid $1.3 billion to buy Anglo American PLC's (AAUK) remaining stake in South African miner AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. (AU). Paulson alsorecently introduced to investors a new share class pegged on the price of gold.

David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital, who had also been buying more gold-exposed stocks, added to his SPDR Gold Trust position during the first quarter as well.

Paulson, a merger arbitrager by trade, became the highest-paid hedge fund manager in 2007 when he bet against securities tied to subprime mortgages. His fundsalso produced double-digit gains in 2008, when the industry as a whole showed an average loss of 19%, according to Hedge Fund Research.

Mandel's Lone Pine stumbled last September along with other hedge funds, but the firm was not among the funds reported to have barred investors fromwithdrawing money from its funds.

-By Joseph Checkler, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-4297; joseph.checkler@dowjones.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

May 18, 2009 19:06 ET (23:06 GMT)

Not sure what I'm doing, but I'm betting heavily on gold right now and looks like people in the know are doing the same. What's everyone elsethinking?

im doing pretty good with NG. got in at 2.95. my gains is currently around 75%. now i wish i had gotten more.

They look for a similar company to replace it. I don't know all that much about it though.

May was very very good to me. And today is looking like my best one-day jump ever.

In HEB @ $2.20, ready to hop out whenever.

I didn't even know this thread existed and I was heavy in the last one.

How'd the hedge fund plans go Naufal?

Back
Top Bottom